• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

British men get four years for possession of drugs in Dubai

Simmons

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

British men get four years for possession of drugs in Dubai

Three British men sentenced to four years for possession of drugs in Dubai claim they were tortured by police.

Dubai_3_2487876b.jpg

Left to right: Grant Cameron, Karl Williams and Suneet Jeerh, three British men who have been held for seven months without trial on drugs charges in Dubai. Photo: PA

By Claire Carter
8:01AM BST 29 Apr 2013

Grant Cameron and Suneet Jeerh, both 25, and Karl Williams, 26, were jailed for possessing synthetic cannabis, known as “spice”.

The men, who are all from London, claim they were tortured by police following their arrest. Williams claims he had electric shocks to his testicles and all three said after they were arrested they had guns held to their heads by police.

Mr Cameron's parents said this morning that the three were relieved that their sentence was not longer than three years and that they hoped as the UAE President Sheikh Khalifa is in this country there was a chance they could be granted clemency. Cameron's mother Tracy told Daybreak: "They are ecstatic, if that's the right word to use.

"Grant is absolutely over the moon. He is in a bit of a state of shock but he knows the sentence could have been much worse."

But she added that the torture the three men say they suffered at the hands of the authorities should not be allowed to go on, and that she hoped the three, including her son who she describes as "very much adored" by the family, should be granted clemency.

She added: "It's really outrageous to think in the 21st century in such a holiday destination, such things go on.

"It was a dream destination for Grant. He was going there for four days and a year later my son is still there.

"We are hoping that as the Skeikh is in our country at the moment he does have the authority to pardon the three boys and we are hoping a level of clemency will be shown."

Human Rights charity Reprieve said all three men signed documents in Arabic, a language none of them understands, while being threatened.

Kate Higham from the charity said people had more chance of getting arrested in Dubai than in any other country in the world and that torture was also "prevalent." She said: "I think it's very important that Sheikh Khalifa takes this opportunity to show he shares the British public's concerns about torture and grant the three men clemency and send them home."

In a draft witness statement given to Reprieve lawyer Marc Calcutt, Williams describes having a towel put on his face by police and having electric shocks on his testicles.

He said: "They took off the towel and I could see that there was a gun pointed at my head. All I could think was that the gun in my face could go off if the policeman slipped, and it would kill me. I started to believe that I was going to die in that room."

It is claimed the torture, which police deny, took place in the desert and subsequently in a hotel room the men were taken to.

Mr Cameron's mother added: "Grant had only been in the country for four days when he was arrested. For 45 minutes they were Tasered, beaten around the head and handcuffed before they were taken back to the hotel where Grant was staying.

"They were put in separate rooms and had guns held to their heads. They were told they would be killed and told they would never see their families again."

Reprieve investigator Kate Higham said the men should be granted clemency. She said: "The central fact of this case remains that these men were tortured by police, but there has been no proper investigation into their abuse.

"The only reasonable course of action for the UAE authorities now is to grant these men clemency, release them and allow them to return home to their families.

"David Cameron must push for this when UAE President Sheikh Khalifa arrives on a state visit tomorrow. It also remains essential that the UAE conduct an impartial investigation into these men's torture and ensure it is never allowed to happen again."

The Prime Minister has already expressed concerns over the case and said he will raise the issues with the president.

The trio were on holiday in the Gulf state on July 10 last year and were arrested after police found the drug in their car. They denied charges of consumption and possession with intent to distribute, but have been found guilty of possession of drugs.

The Foreign Office said it was concerned about some aspects of the case and had raised concerns at “senior levels” in the United Arab Emirates. They have also requested a full and independent investigation.

A Government e-petition has been set up calling for the three men to be brought home, and has more than 600 signatures. A Facebook group has also been launched calling for the release of the three men. The page has been liked by more than 400 people and says “Help stop torture in Dubai and bring Grant, Karl and Suneet home!”

The UAE embassy in London has refused to comment on the case.