• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

who serve the best teochew la pia (cake)?

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
hua lee (chin swee road)

poh guan (opp hong lim market)

Thye Moh Chan( old chinatown point)

teochew pia baked round in size with either sweet liang yong or black sweet dao san filling.

baked with pig oil, very crisy

Where exactly is old Chinatown Point ...must go and try this la pia.

Do they also make la koh (sweet roll), especially those soft white ones coated with a layer of sweet powder. Wonderful...

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is this the same type of tuasa piah like Balestier Loong Fatt?
IMG_8260.JPG

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where exactly is old Chinatown Point ...must go and try this la pia.

Do they also make la koh (sweet roll), especially those soft white ones coated with a layer of sweet powder. Wonderful...

this 1 take over by breaktalk.
the la pia very sweet.
i just bought from poh guan (opp hong lim market)today...$12

shiok,not too sweet.crispy.
singapore no more traditional la pia liao

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
this 1 take over by breaktalk.
the la pia very sweet.
i just bought from poh guan (opp hong lim market)today...$12

shiok,not too sweet.crispy.
singapore no more traditional la pia liao

Thanks for your update.

This afternoon I actually went to look for Thye Moh Chan. Thought that a la pia shop could not be in an air conditioned shopping centre (Chinatown Point), so went searching for it at Hong Lim Complex. Could not find it and so asked an old lady. Straightaway she said TMC is in Chinatown Point...just inside it. So went to look for it at Chinatown Point and really found it, just facing the Breadtalk shop on the first level of the shopping centre.

Took a look and disappointed at what I saw...all la pia enclosed in rows of glass cases...in an air conditioned shopping centre. Cheapest was small rounded la pia (in differnt flavours as per advert) at $1.60. Such a small piece with just a sprinkling of sesame seed on top for $1.60 each??? Other more traditional looking pieces are those bigger ones meant for 8th month festivities, at $15 each...not too big either. Other offers - various types of small la pia or sweet sesame pia packaged in bright red boxes at $28.00 a box....

You are right, there is no more traditional la pia anymore, as far as TMC is concerned, just as there are no more traditional toast bread or simple bread...all replaced by shopping centre Ya Kun Kaya Toast or Breadtalk clones.

Just wonder how such a traditional dessert is going to be passed on to the next generation with such prices and such methods of doing business... the ordinary folks would eventually shun them...and another lost tradition in an air conditioned environment. So sad....:(

Last edited:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
UsuaLLy those aboVe 70+ yo wouLd eVer heard & know of La pia..:wink:
LuckiLy my younger gen onLy heard of Pong pia..:biggrin:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your update.

This afternoon I actually went to look for Thye Moh Chan. Thought that a la pia shop could not be in an air conditioned shopping centre (Chinatown Point), so went searching for it at Hong Lim Complex. Could not find it and so asked an old lady. Straightaway she said TMC is in Chinatown Point...just inside it. So went to look for it at Chinatown Point and really found it, just facing the Breadtalk shop on the first level of the shopping centre.

Took a look and disappointed at what I saw...all la pia enclosed in rows of glass cases...in an air conditioned shopping centre. Cheapest was small rounded la pia (in differnt flavours as per advert) at $1.60. Such a small piece with just a sprinkling of sesame seed on top for $1.60 each??? Other more traditional looking pieces are those bigger ones meant for 8th month festivities, at $15 each...not too big either. Other offers - various types of small la pia or sweet sesame pia packaged in bright red boxes at $28.00 a box....

You are right, there is no more traditional la pia anymore, as far as TMC is concerned, just as there are no more traditional toast bread or simple bread...all replaced by shopping centre Ya Kun Kaya Toast or Breadtalk clones.

Just wonder how such a traditional dessert is going to be passed on to the next generation with such prices and such methods of doing business... the ordinary folks would eventually shun them...and another lost tradition in an air conditioned environment. So sad....:(

update:
the hua li at chin swee road clsoe down liao.
last yr 8th month last sale
they say younger generation not keen to take over the long hour business.
thye mo chan is air conditon,i dont like modern one
heng huh.
still got 1 traditional 1 at hong lim.
traditonal la pia.
anyone into authentic teochew restaurant?

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
base on your description, think i ever ate la pia once but not so sure. shud be during a wedding ceremony, served as snack

hmm,i attend upteen wedding, have not seen any one serve la pia.
la pia very popular during the chinese mooncake festive

la refer to the oily pig oil

Last edited:

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm,i attend upteen wedding, have not seen any one serve la pia.
la pia very popular during the chinese mooncake festive

la refer to the oily pig oil

Best la pia is still those made for 8th month moon cake festival, especially the big rounded one with many layers of thin, flaky crusts. Hmmmmm...sweet and nice. When you cut it into slices some of the la is so soft and a little liquid and when put into mouth ...you can really feel the crunchy flaky skin and sweet la with fragant white kua chee...wonderful....:biggrin:.

My mother used to buy it $10 for one and said must queue up long long somewhere in Toa Payoh at a shop called Thye Hong (?). Must find out and go and buy liao,... just hope they do make it on non moon cake month...

Cheers

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best la pia is still those made for 8th month moon cake festival, especially the big rounded one with many layers of thin, flaky crusts. Hmmmmm...sweet and nice. When you cut it into slices some of the la is so soft and a little liquid and when put into mouth ...you can really feel the crunchy flaky skin and sweet la with fragant white kua chee...wonderful....:biggrin:.

My mother used to buy it $10 for one and said must queue up long long somewhere in Toa Payoh at a shop called Thye Hong (?). Must find out and go and buy liao,... just hope they do make it on non moon cake month...

Cheers

bro got address?
the 1 at hong lim teochew la pia good leh.not too sweet.
the big rounded one with many layers of thin, flaky crusts.when cut, the crusts spread out

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
update:
anyone into authentic teochew restaurant?

There was a traditional Teochew restaurant, Mong Hing at Keypoint, Beach Road. Used to have reunion dinners there every year. Unfortunately, this year 2013 will be their last year of business as the complex is to be redeveloped by May....another lost traditional food source...

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro got address?
the 1 at hong lim teochew la pia good leh.not too sweet.
the big rounded one with many layers of thin, flaky crusts.when cut, the crusts spread out

Just checked with my mother and she said the traditional moon cake used to be sold at Thye Li, but now closed down liao....This year CNY, sister got it at a shop somewhere in Lorong Ah Soo... will find out and let you know. But, no guarantee the la pia quality is what you want...Cheers.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just checked with my mother and she said the traditional moon cake used to be sold at Thye Li, but now closed down liao....This year CNY, sister got it at a shop somewhere in Lorong Ah Soo... will find out and let you know. But, no guarantee the la pia quality is what you want...Cheers.

many traditional moon cake all close down 1 by 1.most younger generation wouldnt want to take over
5 year time, we will be all eating peppermint mooncake,durian mooncake,seaweed mooncAKE

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last Thursday before I flew home went to Hong Lim in afternoon to buy some tau-sar-pia for myself and my partners. Poh Gian Cake House (531 Upp Cross St #01-57). Each cost only 80 cents. Cheap and good. Just took this photo on my dining table.

Just had one piece from here with a cup of kopi-O

After buying the tau-sar-pia cut into Chinatown point to MRT station came across a pia-shop and saw this wonderful big tau-sar-pia bought 4 at $15 each gave 3 and kept one. Still not cut think tomorrow breakfast la. Here's the pic

Close-up

The box

I really enjoyed them and my Thai partners told me they love it too. One told me they have this in Yaowarat too but taste a little different.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last Thursday before I flew home went to Hong Lim in afternoon to buy some tau-sar-pia for myself and my partners. Poh Gian Cake House (531 Upp Cross St #01-57). Each cost only 80 cents. Cheap and good. Just took this photo on my dining table.

After buying the tau-sar-pia cut into Chinatown point to MRT station came across a pia-shop and saw this wonderful big tau-sar-pia bought 4 at $15 each gave 3 and kept one. Still not cut think tomorrow breakfast la. Here's the pic

I really enjoyed them and my Thai partners told me they love it too. One told me they have this in Yaowarat too but taste a little different.

Joe,

La piah is pork-lard-bun and it's artery clogging, so please don't eat it too often.