• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JW World Pte Ltd of Sim Lim Square (#01-42) is now famous!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/b...-cheating-vendors-named-shamed-080508598.html

Ten Sim Lim shops named and shamed
By Elizabeth Soh | Going Out – By Day – 23 hours ago

630case2.jpg

CASE has released a list of the shops in Sim Lim which received the most complaints (Yahoo! Photo)
Ask most Singaporeans where they would go for a one-stop tech and electronics quick fix and the answer is almost always Sim Lim Square - for its sheer variety and supposedly lower prices.

However, over the past few years, some of Sim Lim Square's vendors have slowly but surely been making a name for themselves - becoming notorious for touting and allegedly ripping off both local customers and tourists by over charging or selling them used goods refurbished and passed off as new.

A simple web search of "Sim Lim Blacklist" turns up hundreds of results from irate customers who have been cheated.
The situation has become so bad and the complaints so many that consumer watchdog CASE last month put up flyers at the lifts the mall naming and shaming the ten vendors with the most complaints lodged against them in a bid to deter them from cheating.

The blacklisted vendors are JW World Pte Ltd (#01-42), Cyber Maestro Pte Ltd (#02-77), Mobile Apps Pte Ltd (#01-50), 3 Plus Mobile LLP (#01-58), S.M.S Gaming LLP (#01-16), One Plus Mobile LLP (#02-61), Elite 3 Mobile Pte Ltd (#01-64), Mobile Apps Pte Ltd (#02-72), Ray Technology (#02-26) and Wee Mobile (#02-61)

They are ranked in order of the number of complaints received, from 10 complaints for JW World to 3 complaints from Wee Mobile.

630simlim2.jpg

A list of 10 rogue vendors have been put up around lift lobbies at IT mall Sim Lim Square (EDMW Facebook)
In 2012, a total of 100 complaints were lodged against Sim Lim vendors, bestowing them with the dubious honor of being the most notorious shop owners in Singapore.

Yahoo! understands that the number of complaints lodged with CASE are only the tip of the iceberg - many customers do not report getting cheated because they don't think they can get redress while some remain unaware they were even ripped off in the first place.
Name and Shame rogue vendors

"It is meant for consumers' information when they shop at Sim Lim Square and for traders to improve their services and resolve their disputes with consumers," said Mr Seah Seng Choon, Executive Director for CASE.

According to CASE, the top three types of complaints received from angry customers are cheating sales tactics by salesmen, misrepresentation of products, and overcharging respectively.

630case3.jpg

When approached, shop owners were hostile, with some even using vulgarities to chase the reporter away (Yahoo! …
"They pressurised me into buying a camera I didn't want"

British tourist Shane Michael, 36, was a victim of one of the ten shops. He had decided to buy a camera at Sim Lim after reading online that it had the best IT bargains in Singapore.

He said he felt a bit worried at how rowdy the shopping centre was - everywhere he went, salesmen would call out to him telling him, saying "best deal best price, just for you".

He eventually decided to buy a Canon camera with a recommended retail price of $599 from a salesman who quoted him $520 with a few freebies thrown in.

"The price was not that much cheaper, so I thought it was a good deal but not a fantastic one. I didn't even bargain," said Michael.
However, the Canon camera never turned up. Instead, the salesmen started to cross-sell a Nikon camera to him, extolling its virtues and how much more value for money it was than the Canon one. The salesman was soon joined by three other colleagues, who stood around Michael and kept pressuring him into buying it, which he eventually did, in the end.

"They were very persuasive, and I was so stressed I was perspiring. I just wanted to get out of there," said Michael.

So he paid and left, only to find out that night that he had been sold a refurbished second hand Nikon different from the one he was showed - and possibly swopped between counter to cashier.

"I'm never going back there again, I've told all my friends. They are unethical cheats and touts and the supposedly lower prices are definitely not worth the terrible service and experience."

Locals enjoy no immunity from these rogue vendors, either.
"I was offered a PSP at a price about $40 lower than in outside shops, with a lot of extras thrown in," said National Serviceman David Teo, 19.

"After I paid the agreed price, they refused to give me the PSP and instead said I needed to pay this sales tax, and all kinds of additional charges. In the end, I paid almost $100 above the recommended sale price for my PSP and some lousy games and a screen protector."

630case4.jpg

Some of the 10 shops changed their signs after the list was released to conceal their identities (Yahoo! Photo …
Rogue vendors: We don't care

Far from deterring these rogue vendors from cheating customers, however, these lists have simply enraged them and made them even more aggressive.

According to CASE, someone has been taking the lists down every time they are put up.
"We have been informed that the list has been removed from the mall’s lift lobbies by unauthorized persons a few times and each time the Sim Lim Management replaced it immediately," said CASE's Mr Seah.

Other shops simply changed their signs so that their actual store names would not be visible (see photo above), replacing the names with logos of well known electronics brands like Samsung, Nokia and LG.

"They put one list (sic), anyhow say we are cheats, so of course we fight back. I have been doing business here for over ten years, not so easy to get rid of me," said one vendor who runs a shop selling second-hand mobile phones.

When Yahoo! SG went to Sim Lim Square and approached several of the vendors, vulgarities and threats were hurled.
"I warn you first, you better siam (get lost),"
said one male salesman in his 40s when we asked him why his shop was on the blacklist.
Several vendors approached us menacingly and gestured with rude signs when we attempted to take photos of their shop fronts, while the more civil ones denied that they were on the blacklist and there had been an 'error'.
Owners of other shops told Yahoo! SG that the list would not be very effective against the black sheep of Sim Lim, who are used to being tackled by authorities.

"They just pay $20, $30 and change the name of their business to something else, and then make a new sign. No one will know. Every day so many tourists come and go, they will continue to cheat. Business is too good for them to stop," said the owner of a computer shop on the second floor who only wanted to be known as John, 34.

He had previously written in to the authorities to complain about Sim Lim's rogue vendors and subsequently received threats.
"I have lots of regulars, more regulars than walk-ins so I can tell you honestly - if you're looking for a new camera or computer, wait for an IT fair, or just go to Funan. Sim Lim is a dangerous place."

Have you been cheated by a vendor at Sim Lim Square before? Share with us your experience!
With additional reporting by Justin Ong

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SLS is famous for these shit. I'm surprise only level 1 & level 2 shops made it onto 十大.

This shows either the ang mos are fucking lazy to make it past 2nd floor or gullible enough to kenna ketok before they can even hit 3rd floor.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only fools and clueless tourists shop at the lower levels of SLS.

The Singapore Tourism Board is guilty of this, closing one eye to this, because it stands to gain everytime some dumbass tourist gets ripped off. Whatever it takes to keep the economy going, eh?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
"They just pay $20, $30 and change the name of their business to something else, and then make a new sign. No one will know. Every day so many tourists come and go, they will continue to cheat.

License to cheat repeatedly so cheap - $20-$30 only! This is truly a bad joke.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Ask most Singaporeans where they would go for a one-stop tech and electronics quick fix and the answer is almost always Sim Lim Square - for its sheer variety and supposedly lower prices...

Eh the author must have asked some FT living in Spore :eek:

Unless I'm looking for computer stuff I'd never go to Sim Lim :biggrin:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/[email protected]

TO ALL FRIENDS IN SINGAPORE!!!

PLEASE BEWARE WHEN SHOPPING GADGETS IN SINGAPORE. THIS WAS AN UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT, OUR FAMILY WILL NEVER FORGET. WE ASKED THE WRONG QUESTION AND WE WERE CONNED. I FILED A COMPLAINT WITH APPLE USA. PLEASE READ BELOW!!!

Customer Service
Apple Pty Ltd

Re: JW World Pte Ltd - #01-42 Sim Lim Square 14 Scotts Road Singapore
- Reseller of Apple Products

Dear Sir/Madam:

On 30th April 2012, we went to Sim Lim Square to buy a Mac Air and Ipad 3.

We bought the Mac Air from an Apple authorised reseller and the service was excellent.

Unfortunately they don’t have Ipad 3 so we went to a few stores to compare prices. JW World Pte Ltd quoted us SG$ 535 for a 16 GB Wifi Ipad 3. We asked why are they cheaper from the shop next door who quoted a SG$658 price with international warranty. They said they are a wholesaler. We asked if it covers international warranty and were told that it will cost SG$49. At this stage, there was no mention of the SG$49 being for one month warranty only. He then filled up a form with SG$49 on the form where it says “Registration/International Warranty”. The shop attendant asked my cousins (Edna/Raul Mariano) to sign the form which Raul did. We agreed with the price and he asked for the payment of the Ipad 3 so we gave them SG$535. He then opened the box and we were advised that he will do the activation but it will cost another SG$19. We were becoming a bit suspicious but we gave them the benefit of the doubt that we are not being conned. One of the shop attendant then opened the box and turned on the Ipad 3. He then said, he has to go out of the shop to register the international warranty.

My cousins and I were looking at each other as our instincts are telling us something is not right. Since the shop attendant already took the SG$535, we were a bit uneasy. He then came back and took the form that my cousin signed and then wrote the amount of SG$588 and told us that we need to pay additional SG$588 for the 12 months warranty. We were shocked and that is when it dawned on us this is a set up. We told them that no way we are paying that much for warranty for a gadget which is only SG$535. We told them that we don’t want the warranty anymore. They said, they cannot cancel the registration of international warranty as it has been upload in the “server”. Me and my cousins are in our 50’s and we are not very technical in regard to new gadgets. We argued and argued for almost 3 hours and they refused to give us the money back nor the Ipad 3 untill we pay the SG$588.

While my cousins were arguing, I rang Apple Singapore Customer Service and advised them of our dilemma. The Apple Customer Service guy asked me to give the Serial Number of the Ipad 3 to check or authenticate the unit. While reading the serial number, the shop attendant suddenly took the box from me but I still managed to give the serial number. The Apple guy confirmed the serial number from the system. I was also advised that it is covered with 12 months international warranty already. I asked the Apple guy to talk to the shop attendant but the shop attendant was not interested in talking to him and he kept saying the line is dropping. During this time, the manager of the shop came and started to argue more that they will reduce the warranty from 12 months to 3 months, so we have to pay SG$210 extra for them to release the unit. He then told us that when the 3 month warranty expires, some of the applications will not work e.g. Safari, You Tube, App Store, etc. So my cousins said, we will take the risk as we just want to get the unit we paid for. The shop manager then took the Ipad 3, turned it on and did something, which we were not able to see what he was doing on the unit.

We went back to our hotel after almost over 3 hours and we were really exhausted. My niece opened the Ipad 3 to try and test the unit. Lo and behold the following apps are missing:
Safari, YouTube, Clock, Stocks, Utilities, App Store, Itunes, etc.

The shop manager deleted all the foregoing applications. It was just a shocker. This was a gift for her by her mother and we went through so much. We rang Apple Customer Service again and was advised to go to Apple Centre when we get back to the Philippines.
I took a photo of the shop (as per ABOVE). The two figures on the right are my cousins who were very exhausted with this unfortunate experience.

To prove that they have been doing these to others, they issued a Cash Sale receipt without company details. When my cousin showed me the piece of paper, I went back to the shop and advised them that we need a proper Tax Invoice so we can get the GST refund from Singapore Customs at the airport. They were a bit hesitant to give us the Tax invoice but I showed them a GST refund receipt we got when we bought the Mac Air. That’s when he was forced to hand over the GST refund receipt with the proper Tax Invoice.

When my cousins went back to Manila, they took the Ipad 3 to iStudio-Authorised Apple reseller and was that the applications originally loaded have been deleted. — at JW WORLD @ SIM LIM SQUARE SINGAPORE.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please avoid, avoid, avoid all the shops on the lower levels of SLS. Don't even buy stuff from those shops selling luggage cases.

You want to get 'tok' like a carrot head, like one of those clueless Ang Mo tourist sheep herded into SLS to be slaughtered, carry on.

ChewCheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must go above 4th floor for decent sales.

Only fools and clueless tourists shop at the lower levels of SLS.

The Singapore Tourism Board is guilty of this, closing one eye to this, because it stands to gain everytime some dumbass tourist gets ripped off. Whatever it takes to keep the economy going, eh?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JW World: before and after:

Sim+Lim+Square+scam.jpg
630case4.jpg

LOL! At least move the money changer kiosk somewhere else.

You think changing the shop signboard will help?

Stupid. :biggrin: