• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pinoy News Site: Sinkapore close shop to foreigners, party is over

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fewer jobs for Pinoys, foreigners in Singapore
BY KATHERINE VISCONTI
POSTED ON 04/08/2013 1:11 PM | UPDATED 04/08/2013 4:02 PM

singapore-skyline-kdpsuarez.jpg

SINGAPORE - Good luck getting a job in Singapore this year if you’re not Singaporean.

The country’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is tightening some requirements for work passes, imposing higher levies on companies hiring foreign workers and lowering the maximum ratio of foreigners allowed in certain sectors.

"It's very difficult now. There are many companies who want to hire Filipinos but the problem is (getting) the work passes (for them)," the Philippine Ambassador to Singapore Minda Calaguian-Cruz told Rappler in Filipino in an interview Wednesday, April 3.

"It's not focused on the Filipinos. It's foreign talents as a whole and we’re just one part of that," she added.

Liz Peruda, a customer service representative with Apple, said she is grateful her work pass application was approved. Her husband wasn't as lucky. After his application was denied multiple times, he had to return to the Philippines to look for work.

"We're just really taking advantage of whatever time we have here in Singapore," said Peruda.

"For Filipinos, even if we hold a good job, even if we hold a high-ranking job, even us, we're scared. When it’s time to renew our passes… we'll have that 10% chance that it might not get approved," she said.

What will change?

In a release from the MOM, the Singaporean government is introducing the following changes, to limit the inflow of foreign workers:

• By July 2013, the minimum qualifying salary for the S Pass, a work pass for mid-skilled foreigners, will be raised from SGD $2,000 to $2,200
  • By July 1, 2015, Employers will have to begin paying a higher monthly levy for S Pass Holders, with the following average increases:
    • S Pass (all sectors) - $90 per S Pass holder 

• Manufacturing - $50 per Work Permit holder 

• Services - $90 per Work Permit holder 

• Construction- $160 per Work Permit holder
  • The Dependency Ratio Ceiling (DRC), the maximum permitted ratio of foreign workers to the total workforce of a company, will be lowered as follows:
    • Services sector DRC – limited to 40% from 45% by July 1, 2013

• S Pass sub-DRC for Services – decreased to 15% from 20% by July 1, 2013

• Marine Sector DRC – lowered from 1 local: 5 foreign workers currently to 1 local: 4.5 foreign workers starting January 1, 2016 and 1 local: 3.5 foreign workers effective January 1, 2018

Restrictions on the renewal of applications will also become more severe.

The government has become more strict about employment requirements for foreigners in recent years. It also tightened up on the number of permanent residence (PR) visas it gives out. Government record shows that from a high of 79,000 PRs in 2008, the government now grants about 30,000 each year.

Anti-foreign sentiment?

The tightening in foreign employment criteria has been introduced to soothe local fears that foreigners are depressing wages, taking jobs that could go to Singaporeans, straining infrastructure and causing housing prices to shoot up.

current-population-2013-04-08%20at%201.23.16%20PM.jpg
CURRENT POPULATION. As of June 2012, 72% of the population consisted of residents and 28% of non-residents. Many residents say they want to maintain a 'strong SIngaporean core' in the population. Screenshot from the population white paper.

In February, an anti-immigration protest rallied together an estimated 4,000 Singaporeans, one of the biggest political protests since the country gained independence, Bloomberg reported.

The protest came on the heels of a plan to increase the population through immigration, which the government described in the population white paper “A sustainable population for a dynamic Singapore.”

population-sg-2013-04-08%20at%201.19.47%20PM.jpg
VARIOUS SCENARIOS. The government says that to stop the population from shrinking, it should take in between 15,000 to 25,000 new citizens per year. At this rate of immigration, the citizen population would be between 3.6 to 3.8 million by 2030. Screenshot from population white paper.

In the paper, the ruling Peoples' Action Party (PAP) admitted that foreigners would be needed to help sustain economic growth, since without immigrants the population is expected to decrease.

The paper proposed hitting the following population parameters:

• 2012 – A total population of 5.31 million comprised of 3.82 million residents (of which 3.29 million are citizens) and 1.49 million non-residents
  • 2020 – A total population of 5.8 to 6 million total comprised of 4 to 4.1 million residents (of which 3.5 to 3.6 million are citizens) and according to Rappler’s calculation 1.7 to 2 million are non-residents
  • 2030 – A total population of 6.5 to 6.9 million comprised of 4.2 to 4.4 million residents (of which 3.6 to 3.8 million are citizens) and according to Rappler’s calculation 2.3 to 2.7 million are non-residents

According to Rappler’s calculations, the guidelines in the paper would mean increasing the number of non-residents by 81,000 to 1.21 million to help reach a population of 6.5 to 6.9 million in 2030.

"When the number 6.9 million was put into the public discourse, [Singaporeans] were shocked," explained Arun Mahizhnan, a Special Research Adviser at the National University of Singapore’s Institute of Policy Studies.

"It is not that they don't want any immigrants, it's how fast are they allowed (in)," he said. As of 2012, non-residents made up 28% of the population. If the guidelines in the white paper are met, Rappler calculations show that the non-resident population could reach anywhere between 35% to 39% of the general population by 2030.

rate%20of%20increase-2013-04-08%20at%201.22.50%20PM.jpg

RATE OF INCREASE. The government expects the growth rate of the Singaporean workforce to slow down further in the future, hitting 1% to 2% per year, half of the 3.3% per year averaged over the last 3 decades. The population is also aging, which means a heavier economic load and more taxes on a small base of Singaporean workers. Not surprisingly, foreign workers who will return to their own countries in their old age are seen as a partial solution. Screenshot from population white paper.

"It's important to understand this entire problem in the context in which it is worrying Singaporeans. That is that Singaporeans must come first, and if they're unable or unwilling then it is OK to bring in foreigners," said Mahizhnan.

The new limits on foreign workers show that the PAP, which has ruled Singapore for more than 5 decades, is listening to the people.

The PAP has been under more pressure to respond to populist concerns since recording its worst ever general election result in 2011, when it took only 60.1% of the popular vote and the number of opposition members in parliament tripled.

"The election was a watershed election because it gave expression to a number of these kind of simmering issues. But this (immigration) issue has been on the boiler for about 5 years, because that's when the rate of increase had [reached] what many people think is (an) unacceptable level," said Mahizhnan.

"I think government is serious in addressing these concerns of their public. And it so happens that as they address too the concerns of their public some too will be affected in the process. So employment is affected and that also includes our own nationals," Calaguian-Cruz said.

"Any government, I think, in its right mind will always have to take a look at what its people say and what it’s people may perceive and this needs to be addressed," she added. - Rappler.com

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
next thing is to abolish NS to allow native Singapore to get a good head start and save 2 years of their prime life. Also you don't get shortage of local workers if NSF is abolish.

any reports on the boycott of Jollibeeby sinkies???

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
They still don't get it. It's not the Work Permit holders that we have issue with............

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's becos we told the PAP: either the foreign workers go, or you go. And clearly, the PAP knows who's the boss.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
They still don't get it. It's not the Work Permit holders that we have issue with............

I think they do but are feigning ignorance while fucking the wrong hole.

An increase of $200 for S-pass is nothing and the problems we have, PMET, earns way more than this. In any MNC today, you see foreigners taking up jobs that could have easily gone to a Singaporean. To make add insult to injury, most of these foreigners are way less talented from what they are advertised to be and paid much more than their Singaporean peers. I estimate, generously, 1 in 50 foreigner are good.

What I would really like to see is a breakdown of Singaporean, PR and foreigner by income tax brackets.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I would really like to see is a breakdown of Singaporean, PR and foreigner by income tax brackets.

Keep sinkies poor, uneducated and underemployed. That is the obvious strategy for ensuring an endless supply of self replacing serfs and levies to toil for and to protect our feudal masters. Too many serfs have escaped from captivity so we need to learn from our past follies. Just look at Communist China today. Evidently too many people got too rich and educated quickly. The exodus is Singapore redux, multiplied a thousandfold that is why it is obvious.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its the fault of the PAP, smes addicted to cheap labour n the 60% tat bought about this problem. How come cheap labour from overseas r allowed in the country in the 1st place? How come singkies never do anything about it 15 years ago?

This was happening back in the 90s. How come pap still had strong support than?

How come singapore is has become the employment hub for pinoys, ah tiongs, mudlanders etc?

Fuck pap.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We welcome FTs.

But Pinoys, by and large, are hardly qualified to be considered as 'talented'.

Pinoys are certainly 'F', but the 'T' part is missing.

Thus, nothing of worth has been lost.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its the fault of the PAP, smes addicted to cheap labour n the 60% tat bought about this problem. How come cheap labour from overseas r allowed in the country in the 1st place? How come singkies never do anything about it 15 years ago?

This was happening back in the 90s. How come pap still had strong support than?

How come singapore is has become the employment hub for pinoys, ah tiongs, mudlanders etc?

Fuck pap.

How many times must we repeat this? Foreigners do jobs sinkies dont want to do. More FTs more economic growth. Dont tell me you dont want economic growth? How shortsighted!

GrassMantis

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the foreign employees are shrinking except the Ah Nehs. Their are changing the sights and sounds and smells of the nation

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's becos we told the PAP: either the foreign workers go, or you go. And clearly, the PAP knows who's the boss.

If the PAP gets re-elected in the the next GE I bet the message will be forgotten.
The current situation might see them slowing the rate of imports but I doubt they have changed their minds.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the PAP gets re-elected in the the next GE I bet the message will be forgotten.
The current situation might see them slowing the rate of imports but I doubt they have changed their minds.

It is only a communication problem. Sinkies are living in denial so it will take a while before everyone sees the big picture. Then we can all stand united behind the PAP as they deftily chart a course through the stormy waters of globalisation. You dont know how lucky you are to have such a capable and responsible government unlike basket cases such as Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland and most recently, Cyprus.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come fts can compete in the PMET category?

It would be irresponsible for society to allow unqualified and unmotivated drones to run amok in our workplace. The foreign PMETs we hire are often high calibre candidates with numerous years of experience under their belts, or have proven themselves to be talented in their respective fields of study. Our society is run on the basis of true meritocracy, that is why i daresay the very first batch of foreign executives must have been hired solely on their merits in the first place!

What merits, you ask? Apart from being adequately capable and good value for money, they are also very honest! A virtue, of being able to tell me how talented i am and how the world would be dull and dreary without me. Why else would i hire my friends if not for all their merits? That is something sinkies don't want to do!

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is only a communication problem. Sinkies are living in denial so it will take a while before everyone sees the big picture. Then we can all stand united behind the PAP as they deftily chart a course through the stormy waters of globalisation. You dont know how lucky you are to have such a capable and responsible government unlike basket cases such as Spain, Portugal, Greece, Ireland and most recently, Cyprus.

I simply don't believe it's a "communication" problem.

There PAP has many secrets. The biggest one every Sporean would like to know about is how much is left of our CPF:confused:
If even the president of Spore can't get a straight answer then Spore might already be in the same boat as the other nations having money problems.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is no such thing as jobs which sinkies do not want. It is about paying well and recognised the job in their own merit and even cleaner jobs are good well paid jobs.

Do you think lawyer are good jobs and deserve more recognised and pay more than a cleaner? Each job has their own merit and should be paid well.

If the Singapore government want to discredit/ despised certain jobs as low pay and do not recognised their merit they brained washed the people to believe in them.

Job spec discrimination are from Malaysian Chinese working in Singapore and would not be caught as a cleaner and go back annually to brag they work in high profile jobs in Singapore.

It would be irresponsible for society to allow unqualified and unmotivated drones to run amok in our workplace. The foreign PMETs we hire are often high calibre candidates with numerous years of experience under their belts, or have proven themselves to be talented in their respective fields of study. Our society is run on the basis of true meritocracy, that is why i daresay the very first batch of foreign executives must have been hired solely on their merits in the first place!

What merits, you ask? Apart from being adequately capable and good value for money, they are also very honest! A virtue, of being able to tell me how talented i am and how the world would be dull and dreary without me. Why else would i hire my friends if not for all their merits? That is something sinkies don't want to do!

Last edited: