• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia GE 2013

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am shocked that the tolls could add up to S$50. I will start to move out of my comfort zone and drive up soon. My main fear is tire puncture or some strange malfunction to my car. If that happens I think I will be marooned.
GoldenDragon said:
Road signage from 2nd link to KL bo kelong. Will lead you there! I must have driven at least 50 times to KL. Sometimes, alone.
A cinch on NSH to KL circa 320km, or easy 3 hours drive on just the main highway (with pit or pee stops). Toll from 2nd link enjoining NSH close to myr50 (1 way, excluding approx S$3+ for Sg end). Depending on where you get off eg, Sungei Besi or elsewhere. But GD's right, within KL, can be confusing. If you worry about kena stuck enroute, join AA Sg -got cross border co-operation with AA Msia.

And in keeping with this thread, can also see current election banners enroute (in towns, villages) :p

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
A cinch on NSH to KL circa 320km, or easy 3 hours drive on just the main highway (with pit or pee stops). Toll from 2nd link enjoining NSH close to myr50 (1 way, excluding approx S$3+ for Sg end). Depending on where you get off eg, Sungei Besi or elsewhere. But GD's right, within KL, can be confusing. If you worry about kena stuck enroute, join AA Sg -got cross border co-operation with AA Msia.

And in keeping with this thread, can also see current election banners enroute (in towns, villages) :p

Thanks. I'm actually with AA S'pore. So, maybe things might be smoother.

I was actually in M'sia last week. Flew via Air Asia to the LCCT and then took a cab to Kajang, where I had to go for some business. Yes, I saw the election banners. The M'sians do their elections differently. It is mostly party flags flying from bamboo sticks stuck alongside roads. I even saw the green/white PAS logo painted several times on the side of a wall near a flyover. I wonder how they get away with that. But clearly a great deal of passion.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore helping BN/UMNO??

S'pore police probe six M'sians on voting drive
Foong Chee Wai
Apr 15, 2013
malaysiakini.com

Six Malaysians are under investigation in Singapore after initiating a campaign urging fellow Malaysians there to return home to vote in the 13th general election.

They were requested to go to a police station as they did not have a permit.

One participant, Liew Sze Ping, said that a dozen of them had begun their campaign yesterday at 10am in crowded areas near Bugis Street and Tampines.

Liew said those in the group had walked about quietly along pavements, carrying posters and placards, without disturbing the public order.
They only responded when receiving enquiries, he said.
Liew said police personnel had approached them about 4pm, requesting them to go to a police station to assist in investigations.

They were told that they were being investigated under the Public Order Act which states that those wishing to advocate any campaign or idea must get a permit in advance from the police.

Liew stressed that their action is for a good and noble cause - to help by persuading Malaysians in Singapore to return home and vote on May 5.

A large number of Malaysians work in Singapore, and they could have a significant impact on the election results if they vote.

It is learnt that bus and air tickets from Singapore to various towns in Malaysia are fast selling out.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore helping BN/UMNO??

The paranoid PAP will always support BN because they fear the repercussion should the opposition gain power. In this case however that is not their motive
They fear our local opposition - CSJ - in particular will find some excuse to do something along the lines somewhere down the road.

The white elephant outside Buangkok MRT was also investigated.

This incident is also a clear act of intimidation because no prior warning was given that people shld not do that. The police summon to appear for investigation was simply issued. It is just short of arresting that chap right on the spot.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Road signage from 2nd link to KL bo kelong. Will lead you there! I must have driven at least 50 times to KL. Sometimes, alone. You may encounter problems when inside KL. Road signs there can be confusing. But NSH road conditions first world standard.

Not sure how many toll stations and total cost. S$50 all in?

Agree. Malaysia gov can brag about NSH. Is the cheapest and best in Asia.
Is the only highway that can zoom more than 200km/h safely.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree. Malaysia gov can brag about NSH. Is the cheapest and best in Asia.
Is the only highway that can zoom more than 200km/h safely.

I did 210km/h for a stretch, maybe 3-5km, only once. Just for the experience. Felt I wasn't in complete control of the car. More comfortable with 180km/h.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many thanks. I am shocked that the tolls could add up to S$50.

I will start to move out of my comfort zone and drive up soon. My main fear is tire puncture or some strange malfunction to my car. If that happens I think I will be marooned.

Sorry to go off topic on this thread!

Best to get your car checked before heading up north. Since you are AA member, peace of mind. Stop your vehicle at petrol kiosks to take breaks. Never on the highway.

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If BN loses in this election, Singaporeans like me will be watching to see how the country moves on from there. Perhaps, if there is a gov change, things will sure go off to a rocky start, something I'm pretty sure PAP will capitalise on to scare us Singaporeans into submission.

I will even go as far as to say that if there is an upheaval in the political ruling party, BN/UMNO will go so far as to "convince" Agong not to recognise the legitimacy of the elected leader.

Will Msia decend to civil war then? A fundamentalist revival? Or even racial cleansing?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If BN loses in this election, Singaporeans like me will be watching to see how the country moves on from there.
My Malaysian pal, with good connections, informed me recently that the ruling party considers this GE as the mother of all battles. They aren't confident.
Younger voters, especially those voting for the very first time, are an unpredictable lot and their vote swing could be fatal for the ruling party. Should be a very interesting contest. More unpredictable than our GEs.

MenghidupKehadapan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who will the younger voters tend to support? I can't see, or at least can't understand how the more modern ones will vote for Anwar's coalition especially with PAS as a component. What about the Msian Chinese? Weren't they always the MCA support base?

My Malaysian pal, with good connections, informed me recently that the ruling party considers this GE as the mother of all battles. They aren't confident.
Younger voters, especially those voting for the very first time, are an unpredictable lot and their vote swing could be fatal for the ruling party. Should be a very interesting contest. More unpredictable than our GEs.

Last edited:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeap, totally agree with GD,

dont be bodoh and anyhow stop for ciggie or pee break by side of highway.

Stop at designated stops.

the funniest thing is seeing all these mudland kupkia zooming along the road shoulder like its their bapak road,

Otherwise, its a nice drive up north. The m&ds got the NSH right, was it Dr M who propose it?

And as bro GD said, KL is a bit confusing but ok la, still can drive. just be careful.

And pls check your car before driving if you suspect got problem.

The fastest I did is abt 150-160 about 5+ years back, no balls to push my car beyond that, that time was a KIA magentis.

drive safe bro :smile:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
m&ds got the NSH right, was it Dr M who propose it?
Recall it was Dr M's credit. Spin off also for Proton cars, and changed social/logistics landscape
MenghidupKehadapan said:
can't understand how the more modern ones will vote for Anwar's coalition especially with PAS as a component. What about the Msian Chinese? Weren't they always the MCA support base?
That's old hat, passe. MCA's a poor chinese relic for decades liao. DAP (ruling Penang and some urban bases). Young ones unpredictable card, and Najib tried to connect this segment with IT social media etc

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Youtubes of the rallies give a good indication who is supporting PKR. As can be seen, the support appears very broad based. We see young and old. We see Malays as well as Chinese and Indians. And the first Youtube I posted was of a rally in a Malay heartland. It attracted a 30k strong crowd. This is significant as Malaysia is unlike Singapore where it is easy for supporters from all corners of Singapore to converge in a location. The large distances mean that the majority of crowd came from the surrounding Malay heartland.

Barring massive electoral fraud, there is no way for BN to stay in power. The recent PAP moves seem to suggest that the PAP too is expecting BN to fall and is doing everything possible to stop the contagion from spreading to Singapore voters. In the past week, we have seen policy reversals on housing (KBW), FT (TCJ) and now even free travel for early MRT users.

Who will the younger voters tend to support? I can't see, or at least can't understand how the more modern ones will vote for Anwar's coalition especially with PAS as a component. What about the Msian Chinese? Weren't they always the MCA support base?

Last edited:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
If BN loses in this election, Singaporeans like me will be watching to see how the country moves on from there. Perhaps, if there is a gov change, things will sure go off to a rocky start, something I'm pretty sure PAP will capitalise on to scare us Singaporeans into submission.

I will even go as far as to say that if there is an upheaval in the political ruling party, BN/UMNO will go so far as to "convince" Agong not to recognise the legitimacy of the elected leader.

Will Msia decend to civil war then? A fundamentalist revival? Or even racial cleansing?

You pathetic spineliess, foolish, ignorant, gutless idiot who is a poor excuse for taking up precious oxygen! :oIo: Those states run by PKR have blossomed without BN rule. The facts are startling and clear and yet your cheebye lying brains fails to see it. :oIo:

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Battle Royale in Johor....UMNO Chief Minister to fight DAP veteran Lim Kit Siang.

Johor BN head Abdul Ghani Othman is the candidate for the Gelang Patah parliamentary constituency, setting the stage for a grand battle with DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang.

The announcement was made this morning alongside the launch of the Johor BN manifesto at a hotel at Johor Bahru.

However, he denied that his candidacy is to "bury" Lim's political career, but rather, is an attempt to defend what Johor has achieved all this while including the harmony among different races.

"I receive the mandate from the party and coincidentally the candidate from the opposition is Kit Sang.

“I'm assigned to defend BN's seat in Gelang Patah, but not to bury anyone. It is for the victory of BN, which is my task," he said during a press conference after the launch.

Ghani has given up the Serom state seat to make the switch.
Nothing less than 100 percent victory, BN told
The four-term menteri besar said he is ready to face Lim and hoped that the voters in Gelang Patah will give him the chance to continue to serve on a different platform.

"I would like to offer myself to serve the people of Johor, including the Chinese community, as well as play my part for the wellbeing of the country."
During his speech to some 1,000 BN supporters and local leaders before announcing the Johor BN manifesto and candidates list, Ghani (right) sounded the battle cry and demanded Johor BN deliver a 100 percent victory in Johor.

"Recently the opposition has raised a wave to challenge what we have built in Johor over the years together with all the races - Malay, Chinese and Indians.
"Johoreans have been practising mutual understanding and working with each other but the opposition wants to challenge what we have all this while.

"They tried to split the society in this state, which is very challenging to all of us in Johor... I urge you to defend what we have in Johor against those from Kelantan or even Ipoh Timor."

The state BN also announced its other candidates for parliamentary and state seats.

Caretaker Higher Education Minister Khaled Nordin (below) will move from his Pasir Gudang parliamentary seat to the Permas state seat, making him an obvious candidate to succeed Ghani as menteri besar post, should he win.
Khaled (left) received a round of strong applause from the crowd when his name was announced as the candidate for Permas, but he refused to comment on his prospective after the general election.

“Let us win this election first... only then we will decide who will be the menteri besar.

“I cannot be the one to say what will I be, you have to ask the question to the leadership,” said a beaming Khaled when asked by reporters.

Another hopeful for the menteri besar's post, Nur Jazlan Mohamed, will defend the Pulai parliamentary seat.

Veteran Shahrir Samad will defend Johor Bahru parliamentary constituency, while former Umno Puteri chief Azalina Othman has been tasked with defending the Pengerang parliamentary seat.
Ghani told reporters that his "transformation team" consists of 55 percent and 30 percent of new faces in state and parliamentary level respectively.
Hishammuddin: Support for Ghani unprecedented
During the press conference, when asked about the protest by the supporters of Gelang Patah MCA division chief Jason Teoh, who has been dropped as candidate to make way for him, Ghani said all members from BN component parties should place the interest of the state above all.

"They should realise that we should not bet our future on the opposition... I think we can mange it (the protest). One thing about Johor is the tradition that members will finally support the candidates selected by the leadership."
Ghani also rebutted the claim that MCA had ‘loaned’ the seat to Umno as the latter has a better chance to fend off Kit Siang.

“It has been the history of Johor that you have MCA contesting in areas like (Malay-majority) Ayer Hitam (parliamentary seat) and Gerakan standing in a (parliamentary) constituency like (Malay-majority) Simpang Renggam.

“I think in this instance, we have an Umno candidate in a Chinese-majority area. It’ll be quite a nice way to reciprocate what has happened in Johor BN.”
On whether his chances in Gelang Patah would be affected if Teoh contests as an Independent candidate, Ghani replied that he hoped rational thinking within the electorates will prevail.

After last night’s 1,000-strong rally to support Teoh, his supporters are calling for another rally tonight at Taman Universiti, Skudai, to urge MCA president Dr Chua Soi Lek and BN chief Najib Abdul Razak to reconsider fielding Teoh in Gelang Patah.
Caretaker Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein (right), who has been tasked to defend his Sembrong parliamentary seat, told the same press conference that Ghani will not fight a lone battle as the support from Johor BN will be "unprecedented and extraordinary".

"He will not contest in Gelang Patah without the whole support of BN. I am the first one to give him my full support.
It's Ghani vs Kit Siang in Gelang Patah
Apr 16, 2013
Malaysiakini.com
"Now the outsiders come (to contest), but who is the one that developed Johor? Kit Siang? Look at Ghani's track record. Is this a game (to the opposition)?"
Kit Siang seeks 'clean contest'
In an immediate reaction, Lim "invited" Ghani to join him in an accord to make Gelang Patah the model constituency of clean, free and fair elections.
This, said Lim in a statement, is because GE13 is expected to be dirtiest in Malaysia's election history.

Lim said he is seeking Ghani's agreement to a campaign with these features:
• No personal attacks or character assassination, not only by the candidates, but their election teams and workers;
• No playing the race or religion card, as GE13 should be an occasion to promote and foster race relations, and not an occasion to divide and polarise further the diverse races and religions;
• No politics of money or the use of money to buy votes, which is the root cause of the rampant corruption in Malaysia;
• Commitment by both of us to condemn and dissociate ourselves from dirty tricks, even by anonymous quarters; and
• Both candidates to sign the Transparency International-Malaysia's Election Integrity Pledge (EIP) with the establishment of a EIP Watchdog Commission in Gelang Patah comprising Malaysians of impeccable character.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the feeling the ground is sweet for the pkr, we will know soon, Akan datang,

but whoever the fucker in charge, pls dont change the character of mudland and make it like spore.
I still like my massages, karaoke, petrol, ciggies, and makan up north.

you can kill each other and call each other names, but let mudland remain what it is, a playground for us repressed sporeans. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeap, totally agree with GD,

dont be bodoh and anyhow stop for ciggie or pee break by side of highway.

Stop at designated stops.

Need to be extra careful if travelling with women and kids even if designated rest areas. Never leave the kids to suka suka run about. Maybe I am paranoid.
I am more relaxed if only male friends are with me when I drive up.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have been looking through the numbers more carefully to understand the massive swing of support away from BN and also why Malaysia seems to be ahead of Singapore in terms of political development.

After going through everything carefully, the rationale can be boiled down to these two numbers

Malaysia Fertility (2010) - 2.64
Singapore Fertility (2010) - 1.15

Like Singapore, the people most unhappy with the ruling BN are the young. The supporters of BN tend to be older voters. Like older voters in Singapore, the older Malaysian voters too had enjoyed a golden period where the BN brought about considerable improvements to the quality of life.

In Singapore, the PAP unintentionally engineered a demographic bust with their stop at 2 policy. This resulted in a situation where the demographic predominance of the pre-65 extended well beyond what was norm. As I had shared previously, it will not be until 2021 that the post-65 gain demographic majority and the PAP see a serious threat to their power base.

For Malaysia, there was no stop at 2 policy and no demographic bust. As can be seen from their fertility numbers, Malaysia fertility is well above replacement levels. Consequently, the Malaysia equivalent of the P65 have gained demographic majority much quicker than Singapore. This would explain why Malaysia is a good 10 years ahead of Singapore in terms of political development and change.

Seen in this light, the outcome of what is likely to happen is obvious. BN will likely to lose GE 2013. This will embolden Singaporean voters for our own GE 2016. Coupled with their falling voter base, the PAP will likely lose their 2/3 majority in 2016. Come 2021 and we will be exactly where Malaysia is right now.

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lee Kuan Yew in the early '80s was already talking about importing foreigners to replace the Singaporean gene pool. The actual policy formulation began back in the '80s. People think this foreigner explosion is only a recent event because the govt was very measured about it in the initial years.

The floodgates were swung wide open when it was realized foreigners support asset prices and would be good for asset enhancement. From then on it was not just about population rejuvenation but about the property market.

BN is in trouble because the younger cohort realize pro malaysia does not equate to pro government or pro BN, unlike the foreigners in Singapore which equate

Singapore = PAP = Government

Have been looking through the numbers more carefully to understand the massive swing of support away from BN and also why Malaysia seems to be ahead of Singapore in terms of political development.

After going through everything carefully, the rationale can be boiled down to these two numbers

Malaysia Fertility (2010) - 2.64
Singapore Fertility (2010) - 1.15

Like Singapore, the people most unhappy with the ruling BN are the young. The supporters of BN tend to be older voters. Like older voters in Singapore, the older Malaysian voters too had enjoyed a golden period where the BN brought about considerable improvements to the quality of life.

In Singapore, the PAP unintentionally engineered a demographic bust with their stop at 2 policy. This resulted in a situation where the demographic predominance of the pre-65 extended well beyond what was norm. As I had shared previously, it will not be until 2021 that the post-65 gain demographic majority and the PAP see a serious threat to their power base.

For Malaysia, there was no stop at 2 policy and no demographic bust. As can be seen from their fertility numbers, Malaysia fertility is well above replacement levels. Consequently, the Malaysia equivalent of the P65 have gained demographic majority much quicker than Singapore. This would explain why Malaysia is a good 10 years ahead of Singapore in terms of political development and change.

Seen in this light, the outcome of what is likely to happen is obvious. BN will likely to lose GE 2013. This will embolden Singaporean voters for our own GE 2016. Coupled with their falling voter base, the PAP will likely lose their 2/3 majority in 2016. Come 2021 and we will be exactly where Malaysia is right now.

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just take the plane. its way less tiring.

Interesting. I have never driven up but am thinking of doing so. Can you give advice? Is the road signage from 2nd link to KL good and all one needs to do is just follow the signs all the way up?

How many toll stations? How much is the toll?