• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Desa Tebrau

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone know where is the IKEA located? any confirmed news?

The new IKEA Tebrau will be located at the empty plot of land next to Aeon Tebrau, as shown by Plenitude's map at its website (http://www.plenitude.com.my/desatebrau/properties.html):

r6whsl.jpg

The floor area is approximately 44,000 m2, which makes it one of the largest, if not the largest IKEA, in the region. The 2-storey building with IKEA fronting the main road may also have another integrated mall at the back, as shown in the earlier designs by IKEA's architect TJ Ong Architect (http://tjarc.com/15-ikea-tebrau-sc.html) below:

2cpuz43.jpg
23rvb5x.jpg

If the construction starts in mid of this year, it is reasonable to expect completion by end 2018. Related to the life-style mall developments in Desa Tebrau, Aeon Tebrau is undergoing expansion with some anchor tenants already confirmed and I think it should be ready for opening by early 2017.

With the addition of the Austin Heights Water and Adventure Park, large life-style malls, new residential projects and nearby industry parks, the Tebrau region will be quite self-contained and growing. The only thing needs further development is commercial/office buildings that will make the area more attractive, but I think offices at the moment will just take up the higher floors of the ubiquitous shop-lots.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Infact, not many people are bothered with IKEA now. However, many are really hype about the upcoming Aeon Jusco at BDO. Is now 30% complete now.

IKEA is very conservative about expansion. It took IKEA many years since buying the plot to confirm the go-ahead to build. Hence its presence is a major statement about the potential of the area.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
IKEA is very conservative about expansion. It took IKEA many years since buying the plot to confirm the go-ahead to build. Hence its presence is a major statement about the potential of the area.

Yes. However, i heard last time IKEA is delaying the construction because they are considering another location at BDO. Maybe is just rumour. Having IKEA at Tebrau will inflate the property price there.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. However, i heard last time IKEA is delaying the construction because they are considering another location at BDO. Maybe is just rumour. Having IKEA at Tebrau will inflate the property price there.

An old news on the land sale to the Ikano Group (owned by IKEA's founder) is appended below for your reference. So far there is no news on land purchase at Bandar Dato Onn. Whether or not IKEA will inflate property prices is unclear. However it will definitely add vibrancy to the area.

On a side note, Malaysia might be announcing RTS details in May this year. The Larkin Sentral Transportation Terminal will move to Kempas Baru and RTS might have a terminal there as well. Having transport nodes nearby will definitely boost property prices.

Plenitude to sell land in Tebrau City to Ikano
BY YEOW POOI LING
Friday, 20 July 2007 | MYT 12:00 AM

PETALING JAYA: Property developer Plenitude Bhd plans to sell a 14.5ha commercial land in Tebrau City, Johor to Ikano Group for some RM60mil, an industry source said.

Tebrau City is part of Plenitude's Taman Desa Tebrau development.

The sale could translate into a net gain of about RM40mil for Plenitude, the source said, adding that the price ranged from RM30 to RM40 per sq ft (psf).

The price was reasonable given that three years ago, the developer sold 12.1ha of commercial land in Taman Desa Tebrau to Jaya Jusco Stores Bhd for almost RM30 psf, the source added.

Ikano Group, the source said, intended to set up an Ikea store on the land. This is not surprising because Taman Desa Tebrau is home to the country's largest Jusco department store and a Tesco hypermarket, which is under construction.

OSK Investment Bank in a May report said Plenitude had 82.6ha of undeveloped commercial land in Taman Desa Tebrau. After the sale to Ikano Group, the developer should still have 68ha.

Taman Desa Tebrau, which forms part of the Iskandar Development Region, is expected to benefit from the infrastructure works planned under the Ninth Malaysia Plan. Tebrau City is the township's main commercial area.

Plenitude also has land in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Kedah and manages the Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel in Penang.

The bulk of its profits are derived from Taman Desa Tebrau, Taman Putra Prima Puchong (Selangor), Bandar Perdana (Sungai Petani, Kedah) and The Residences and Changkat View Condominium in Sri Hartamas.

Plenitude shares have appreciated about 13% in the past three days and traded at RM3.58 yesterday before their suspension from trading pending an announcement today.

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/...enitude-to-sell-land-in-tebrau-city-to-ikano/

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The latest design occupies a smaller foot print but it appears to be a 3-storey building. The land at the rear is reserved for phase 2 development.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ikea expanding to Johor Baru with new store by end 2017
Thursday, 7 April 2016 | MYT 4:48 PM

KUALA LUMPUR: Ikea Malaysia is expanding to Johor Baru and plans are underway to open its new store by end 2017 which will be the first in the southern region of Peninsular Malaysia.

The Swedish furniture giant said on Thursday the new store would be near Jalan Desa Tebrau.

Mike King, the retail director for Ikea Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, said the new store “is part of our overall ambition to expand in Southeast Asia and commitment to provide more Malaysians with affordable, functional and well-designed Swedish home furnishings”.

He said the group was inviting Malaysians to join its team to pioneer the set up of the new store.

Ikea is embarking on the first phase of recruitment for over 50 positions, including those for the store’s management team.

Openings include positions for the store manager as well as managers and assistant managers for sales, communication and interior design, human resource, sustainability, restaurant, logistics department and more.

“We believe that growing our business and people goes hand-in-hand. We want to work with down-to-earth and straightforward individuals who share the same passion towards creating a better everyday life for the many people,” King added.

It said the Ikea workplaces in Malaysia and around the world were different than most retail environments.

Ikea added that while its brand was successful and strong, its approach was humble and its employees had fun on a daily basis in open, inclusive offices.

“Our leaders enjoy exceptional freedom to take responsibility. We offer a competitive package of rewards – including an incentive plan, medical benefits, employee discounts and opportunities to learn and develop,” it said.

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/...ng-to-johor-bahru-with-new-store-by-end-2017/

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still didn't see any construction at the site last week. I will be quite amazed if the building can be done by end 2017.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still didn't see any construction at the site last week. I will be quite amazed if the building can be done by end 2017.

Another 1 week gone. No movement.
Need to build many roads, , hard for future expansion.
Ground not flat, junction to junction v short distance..sure jam. i have better suggestion for ikea Boss.:p

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another 1 week gone. No movement.
Need to build many roads, , hard for future expansion.
Ground not flat, junction to junction v short distance..sure jam. i have better suggestion for ikea Boss.:p

The photo was taken from IKEA Malaysia website: https://www.facebook.com/IKEAMalaysia/

The key words are "about to" as highlighted below. I'm expecting ground-breaking in May 2016. Given the tight time-frame and the level of confidence in the announcements, the internal structure of the building is likely to be flat flooring warehouse style, with metal frame warehouse storage system.

IKEA Malaysia with Fadzli Basrom and 13 others.
April 8 at 3:18pm ·
Hej IKEA fans, have you heard? We're about to assemble our newest product – IKEA in Johor Bahru! Stay tuned for more updates.

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally feel it is a very poor choice of location for IKEA.
Should have looked into the Nusajaya area, so much better located in terms of traffic connectivity and generally higher purchasing power.
Desa Tebrau area is so... er, boring and ..unglam. :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally feel it is a very poor choice of location for IKEA.
Should have looked into the Nusajaya area, so much better located in terms of traffic connectivity and generally higher purchasing power.
Desa Tebrau area is so... er, boring and ..unglam. :smile:

Glamour aside, west will have many empty houses (and low demand) in the next 5-10 years. Many malls at the west side are struggling to survive, and the new integrated malls that depend on weekend crowds will have very tough competition.

North-east is generally well-populated with higher local demand. The land was bought many years ago at dirt-cheap prices. It is a business decision and that is how a place develop vibrancy with add-on here and there.

From my study of the manufacturing investments in Johor i.e. real growth versus hype, the location in the middle class district is correct.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
I won't be surprised to see a 2nd IKEA in Nusajaya when it gets more populated/built up.
The HSR development if/when materialize will speed up the density of the West.
Of course in Msia. Patience is key. Got come in Tebrau better than no right?

:biggrin: