• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barcelona F&E

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Barcelona is very small, the metro reaches everywhere in minutes. Hence for lower costs, you can stay at the "edge" of town but still can reach town in minutes if you are near subway. I stayed at Vincci Maritimo near subway station Selva del Mar.
This is sort of near the beach... there are many chinese restaurants nearby if you are someone who cannot survive without Chinese food like me. The restaurants are operated by China people who migrated there almost 20 to 30 years ago, they are very nice and decent, they have been totally unChinified. Also a numbers of groceries stall operated by China people whom are again, unChinified.

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just would like to advice something related: Beware of pickpocket especially at subway interchange Passeig de Gracia
spain is infested wif pickpockets ...

... The restaurants are operated by China people who migrated there almost 20 to 30 years ago, they are very nice and decent, they have been totally unChinified. Also a numbers of groceries stall operated by China people whom are again, unChinified.
but r dey barcelonied? ...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
any one has suggestions for cheap airfare and accommodation ?

Cheap accommodation may not be a good idea because of the current economic climate.
There are reports of lightings not fixed, no safe deposit boxes, etc. even lug gauges stolen in lobby.

I ended up in 5 star cheap hotel the last time in Barcelona (even the Catalonian disagree on how to pronounce the city) somehow, 5-star hotels were not that expensive when times were bad. I booked online. €78

The division of spaniards was really pronounced in Madrid vs Barcelona.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
surprisingly barcelona has a large "wet" market. you'll know what i mean when you see it. mercat st. josep la boqueria on the la rambla.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
surprisingly barcelona has a large "wet" market. you'll know what i mean when you see it. mercat st. josep la boqueria on the la rambla.

This brings back memories.

Near one of the entrance is a stall selling yoghurt with toppings such as wolf berries/goji. This is surprising because I only know goji used in herbal chicken soup. :biggrin:

Looks like you have a great time there. :smile:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This brings back memories.

Near one of the entrance is a stall selling yoghurt with toppings such as wolf berries/goji. This is surprising because I only know goji used in herbal chicken soup. :biggrin:

Looks like you have a great time there. :smile:

i normally stay in a hotel near the placa st. jaume. it's right in the middle of old barcelona, and it's lovely to walk narrow streets and alleys around the old cathedral. restaurants are aplenty too, but many turks are taking over eateries and turning them into "spanish" restaurants serving tapas. the authentic spanish-owned ones open much later, and prices are higher.

you must have seen the colors and smell the scent of spice and sweets at the wet market. fresh fish, seafood and meat are sold in the morning, and by afternoon, they are cleared. have tons of pics and if i can shrink them will post here. great walking city if legs can hold.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another thing is these catalunyans loves demo. My last trip there I witness one and it was fun. They have ang chias standby but the matas merely hang around to ensure things do not go out of control.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another thing is these catalunyans loves demo. My last trip there I witness one and it was fun. They have ang chias standby but the matas merely hang around to ensure things do not go out of control.

they like to hang around in front of gov buildings at the placa st. jaume to protest. very militant, very loud. in the evening, they disappear. workers' union and commie bastards.

Jagger

Alfrescian
Loyal
placa st. jaume looks like a quite, safe place to stay. i m more into the architectures...Gaudi's ...Sagrada Familia, etc., and to try authentic spanish tapas....

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Safe... everywhere is safe :smile:
But have to be careful of pickpockets lah. I find Gaudi's art very "dark". La Sagrada Familia is probably the only place worth visiting.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're going to Barcelona, be on high alert when at Las Ramblas, or just avoid it totally. That place is 'chow miah siah' for pickpockets and swindlers. Look it up.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you're going to Barcelona, be on high alert when at Las Ramblas, or just avoid it totally. That place is 'chow miah siah' for pickpockets and swindlers. Look it up.

There are many things happening at Las Ramblas, just be alert. A lot of activities happening there. Worth a visit.

Not sure why Japs are crazy over Gaudí, but his work is fascinating, very organic and flowing. Not a single straight line.

chimneyssky.jpg

Parc Guell is worth a half day visit at least. Again, be alert to your belongings.

parc_guell_gaudi_6.jpg

-----------------------
Different from Paris's Hector Guimard, another of my favourite.

metro-porte-dauphine.jpg

Safe... everywhere is safe :smile:
But have to be careful of pickpockets lah. I find Gaudi's art very "dark". La Sagrada Familia is probably the only place worth visiting.

Last edited: