• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Malaysia - Truly Asia

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Malaysia rated top Muslim-friendly country

twintower-petronas.jpg

Malaysia has been rated the world's top Muslim-friendly holiday destination in a survey released Wednesday that listed Egypt, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Singapore as runners-up.

The study by Singapore-based Muslim travel consultancy Crescentrating ranked countries on how well they cater to the growing number of Muslim holidaymakers seeking halal -- or Islam-compliant -- food and services.

It used criteria including the level of safety in a country, the ease of access to halal food and prayer facilities, and whether hotels cater to the needs of Muslim guests.

On a scale of one to 10 in which 10 is the best score, Malaysia came out number one with a grade of 8.3 among 50 nations surveyed.

Egypt was in second place with 6.7, followed by the United Arab Emirates and Turkey both with 6.6. Saudi Arabia was in fourth place with a score of 6.4 and Singapore was fifth with 6.3.

Indonesia, Morocco and Jordan scored 6.1 to tie in sixth place, trailed by seventh-place Brunei, Qatar, Tunisia and Oman, all with a score of 6.0.

Crescentrating chief executive Fazal Bahardeen said the survey was taken from the point of view of the traveller, meaning that it measured the ease of access by Muslim tourists -- not locals -- to halal food and facilities.

"Malaysia is one of the few countries where you can find a prayer place in almost every location -- be it a shopping mall or the airport," Fazal told AFP.

He said that while Malaysian authorities have been focusing on the market for several years, Indonesia -- the world's most populous Muslim nation -- has not done as well.

"The main problem for Indonesia is that it's not straightforward for a Muslim visitor to find halal food availability. For locals, it's probably not an issue."

Saudi Arabia figured as a holiday destination for the first time since the survey started in 2011 because more Muslims use their holidays to go there to perform the Umrah, a minor pilgrimage, Fazal said.

In terms of cities as a shopping destination, Dubai pipped Kuala Lumpur for the number-one spot, according to the survey which rated the presence of halal food and prayer facilities at shopping malls.

Istanbul, Jeddah, Singapore, Cairo, Abu Dhabi, New Delhi, London and Doha completed the top-10 shopping destinations.

Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport were rated among the friendliest to Muslim travellers.

Spending by Muslim tourists is growing faster than the global rate and is forecast to reach $192 billion a year by 2020, up from $126 billion in 2011, according to a study by Crescentrating and another company released last year.

YaoSiuKia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cameron Highlands

Surprisingly, I have never been to Cameron Highlands before in my life. Finally had a chance to go there and I was looking forward to it. Made some mistakes along the way and I hope this can help fellow travellers.

1. Don't take the bus from JB. It costs only 35% to get a ticket in JB rather than Singapore but you pay for it with unnecessary waiting. Buses in Singapore takes you straight up to Cameron Highlands while buses from JB stops at Tapah, a town nearest to Cameron Highlands. So what's the problem? The night bus leaves at 10pm at night and arrives at Tapah at 5am in the morning. The bus drops you in the middle of nowhere and you will have to find your way to the bus station. That's not a very safe way to travel in Malaysia. The bus up to Cameron Highlands only leave Tapah at 9am in the morning and you're stuck in Tapah with nothing to do.

2. Resorts are over rated. I stayed in Strawberry farm resort, supposedly to be a better resort on Cameron Highlands but I feel that it is over rated. Room is normal, bed is comfortable though. As I do not drive, it is a hassle and I had to call for a taxi every time. A single trip cost me RM10. The buffet/food in the resort's restaurant sucks as well. To tell the truth, I have never eaten such lousy food before in a 4 star hotel.

3. No attractions at all. Most of the attractions were overhyped. The strawberry farm failed totally. No strawberry picking for us, and the strawberries were sour. The only place which I feel is worth visiting is the rosé garden. The place is huge and you can climb all the way up to a hill and enjoy the nice view of Cameron Highlands. There were different varieties of roses, flowers, some tomatoes.

DSC01206.jpg

2195v2b.jpg

2yocrh0.jpg

YaoSiuKia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the info on Cameron Highland. Looks like it is still worth a visit for the view and rose garden.

Personally, I feel that it is overhyped. Perhaps it's because I have been to Sa Pa in Vietnam, that's why I tend to compare between the two. Even Dalat in Vietnam is much nicer than Cameron Highlands. Perhaps I might be there at the wrong time of the year. I would say that a 2 days 1 night trip would be enough. The two things worth buying there are the corn(really sweet) and the roses. It's RM5 for 10 stalks. In Singapore, that would be SGD10 for 10.

YaoSiuKia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fraser Hill

This little hill resort is closer to KL and the weather is more cooling than Cameron Highlands. Good for family retreat or couple or a romantic holiday.

1z3caow.jpg

2weatdg.jpg

While Fraser's Hill is mostly a nature destination, there are plenty of fun activities that engage the whole family. Bird watching can be done along many of the jungle trails, and is an extremely popular activity that Bukit Fraser is renowned for. At the 9-hole golf course, a brand new indoor sports center offers squash, snooker, pool and other recreational facilities. If you're hungry, choices of food are limited to a few restaurants, most of which are concentrated at a small square off the main road. Finally, you can just enjoy walking around town, admiring the many colonial bungalows, listening to birds sing and explore the surrounding rainforests through jungle trails.

Fraser's Hill lies about 100km away north from Kuala Lumpur, or 400km from Singapore. Visitors can travel through Kuala Kubu Bharu (KKB) or Bentong towns to reach this highland resort destination. Using the Bentong route, you take the Karak Highway, passing by Genting Highlands and turning off at Bentong. A junction to Bukit Frasers pops up along the main road a few km after town. Alternatively, a trunk road leads from Gombak to Bentong through Janda Baik if you wish to avoid paying toll. On the other hand, using the North-South Highway from Kuala Lumpur will require a detour at the Kuala Kubu Bharu exit. Follow the signboards to Bukit Fraser from KKB to get on the right track.

Again, to avoid paying toll, you can use the trunk road from Batu Caves, going through Rawang and turn right at the Kuala Kubu Bharu junction. By railway, the KTM Train from KL Sentral stops at KKB station; you then need a taxi to bring you up. Do make arrangements with the driver to bring you back, as Fraser's Hill does not have any cabs. From northern destinations, such as Penang, you only need to drive down the North-South Highway (or trunk road) past Ipoh towards Rawang. Eventually, there will be a turn-off to Kuala Kubu Bharu before the Rawang exit; turn here and follow the directions towards Fraser's Hill from town.

Point to note:Getting around Fraser Hill s not easy if you do not have your own mode of transport. Accommodation is ample but it is not possible to get a top rated accommodation. Most accommodation are by best average and budgeted. So do not expect too much. This place is worth a 2 days 1 night stay.

Last edited:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
I havent been to cameron in ages, I think the last trip was abt 20 years ago

Maybe you guys can help me out with some questions:

Does the bus from sg go up directly or must change bus in KL?
Is it still cold there?
What is the most posh hotel over there? Is it worth the ringgit?

Frasers hill:
Is there any coach from sg to frasers hill and how is the journey there?

I prefer not to drive up.

Cheers :biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I havent been to cameron in ages, I think the last trip was abt 20 years ago

Maybe you guys can help me out with some questions:

Cheers :biggrin:

Buses in Singapore do go up directly to cameron. Please take this option. It saves you waiting time and transfer time. No point saving some dollars and suffer. I went through the wrong option of transferring at Tapah(town nearest to Cameron)

The weather is around the range of 20-25 degree. I will say cooling but not as cooling as the past.

You can try Cameron Highlands Resort. Won't go wrong :wink:

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the tip Raiders,

I intend to bring the fam for a trip, PM not happy cos I travel so much, so must sayang the family a bit lol

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
thanks for the tip Raiders,

I intend to bring the fam for a trip, PM not happy cos I travel so much, so must sayang the family a bit lol

Have a good trip brother. Remember to try the corn. They are really nice and sweet :smile:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...last trip was abt 20 years agoWhat is the most posh hotel over there? Is it worth the ringgit?
Been eons ago, since I drove up to CH.

If you are into quaint style (diff from resort type), can consider Ye Olde Smokehouse. Boutiquish, with very colonial ambience. Tea with scones in garden, real fireplace (last time). Brownie points with OC? :p:biggrin:

smokehouse2.jpgsmokehouse3.gif

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/highcameronsmokehouse.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel...ourse-Tanah_Rata_Cameron_Highlands_Pahan.html

http://www.thesmokehouse.com.my/ch.htm

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
cheers bros,
I know there is also a hotel equatorial.

Will plan accordingly after consulting PM (ie wife) and the DyPMs (ie the kids) :biggrin:

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm not easily frighten, but i have the scare of my life, all my hair standing.

Went to Malacca with a few of my kakis, stay at of the 1 kaki house, big plot of land, beside their house is another plot of land left empty, you can see a big tree crushing the house from the roof,, heard that the whole family of 5 all killed.

That night after makam, we went back and prepare to call it a night around 11pm, was feeling sleepy head,out of nowhere we heard crying voices, i took a peep at the window from where i was lying, by the all 5 guys share a room.

I saw a pair of red fiery eyes, my arm hair start standing and i feel cold, kick my buddies leg, they just put their finger to their mouth, telling me not to do anything ,they prays silently and so did i and try to blank out everything inside my head.

The room we slept in was on the 2nd floor, the window facing is facing that house, next day we talk to my kaki dad, he said don't think about it.
a few months earlier something happen to her daughter car, the family dogs will not allow her to go near her car, it was in the chinese newspaper too.

The car windows show bloody hands print from the inside, when open the door there are nothing on the windows, they did get rid of the car.

Think the year was 1985......:*:

Last edited:

FrenFish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to count my blessings. Never had this type of eerie encounters in all my travels. :biggrin:

Malaysia voted the most friendly Islam country. But personally I find Indonesia to be more 'open' in their Islam values. Except for the 1990s period which they kill many Chinese.

Now it seems that Indonesia is becoming quite liberal in many ways.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Been eons ago, since I drove up to CH.

If you are into quaint style (diff from resort type), can consider Ye Olde Smokehouse. Boutiquish, with very colonial ambience. Tea with scones in garden, real fireplace (last time). Brownie points with OC? :p:biggrin:

View attachment 9441View attachment 9442

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/highcameronsmokehouse.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel...ourse-Tanah_Rata_Cameron_Highlands_Pahan.html

http://www.thesmokehouse.com.my/ch.htm

Ye Olde Smokehouse was where I stayed and I really love the English atmosphere. I cannot recall much but it has a wonderful garden. The Victorian-styled inn is very simple and quaint and I remembered I had to walk up and down the stairs to our room.

Best of all was the Lipton Tea Plantation tour where we had a look at how tea was planted and processed and learn a lot about tea. Bought a blowpipe from a curio shop which I sometimes use for the heck of it. I might want to take another trip back there one day.