• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

General advice when overseas.

ThugSin

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After check in
V impt: find the nearest massage joint and find out their prices and FR on them. :biggrin:

Found this on the hotel rm floor when i in xiamen...

-Improper image removed by Raiders-

Last edited by a moderator:

LordKrishna

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When driving overseas do make sure you are fully covered by insurance. Especially in South East Asian countries they rent the car to you without insurance or basic insurance which is why one finds rental in these places so cheap. Insurance is something one should not stinge while overseas.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tips for women who travel

Email your vital information to yourself. Take a digital photo of any important documents, including your travel documents, passport, driver’s license, and credit cards. Then scan them into your computer and email them to yourself. That way, if anything gets lost or stolen, you can easily retrieve the information at any Internet café (or on your phone).

Minimize, minimize, minimize. A good rule of thumb is: Pack one outfit for every three days of travel. In other words, if you’re not planning to wear something at least three times, then don’t take it on your trip. If you can, pack your shoes inside your husband’s bag. Then, wrap hairbrushes or your hair dryer in plastic and tuck those inside your shoes. When you’re done, take your suitcase around the block to make sure you can handle it by yourself—or that you won’t be overburdening another male travel mate who offers to help out.

Bring athletic bras on exotic vacations. Many OAT vacations, such as African safaris and rain forest adventures, involve travel on bumpy roads. Minimize any discomfort this might cause you by bringing along one or two athletic bras for those portions of the trip.

Skirts, skirts, skirts! Below the knee and with pockets. Skirts (not miniskirts, ladies) are not only practical and comfortable, they’re culturally acceptable attire in almost every part of the world where modesty is important. The pockets (especially menswear-style tailored front pockets) are very handy for holding items like tickets or tissues or bandanas. We recommend skirts over pants because they’re more acceptable for women in many cultures — and they’re also a lifesaver if you’re ever in a situation where the bathrooms are less than accommodating, and you have to relieve yourself standing up.

Best seat in the house? The bar. Even seasoned women travelers occasionally feel selfconscious dining alone in public restaurants. A good way to overcome awkwardness is to take a bar seat, and order your meal there. The bartender will usually try to make you feel at home, strike up a conversation, and oftenengage others at the counter to join in. It’s a great way to enjoy some conviviality—and a good meal.

Take a matchbook from your hotel before you set out to explore. Avoid losing the way back to your hotel when you’re in a new city — especially one with an unfamiliar alphabet. Stick a few matchbooks imprinted with the hotel name and address into your purse. That way, if you need help getting back, you can simply show it to a taxi driver who can then deliver you safely to your door. The hotel won’t mind. It’s good advertising for them, too!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
When driving overseas do make sure you are fully covered by insurance. Especially in South East Asian countries they rent the car to you without insurance or basic insurance which is why one finds rental in these places so cheap. Insurance is something one should not stinge while overseas.

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognised worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.

Although the Singapore driving licence is recognised in many countries, the IDP could prevent any inconveniences when renting a car or when driving in a country where English is not commonly spoken. In such situations, drivers may find themselves handicapped by language barriers.

The IDP contains translations of driving terms used in various languages and can help drivers communicate with car rental companies and other authorities. The IDP is also a useful form of identification as it contains a photograph of the driver.

Who Should Apply
For peace of mind when driving overseas, we recommend that Singapore driving licence holders intending to drive in a foreign country to apply for an IDP. The IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue.

The processing fee is S$22 (non-GST chargeable).

http://www.aas.com.sg/index.php?show=content&showview=8&val=300

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What Not to Eat Before Flying! (And Some Safe Options, Too.)

Avoid carbonation and cruciferous vegetables (i.e. no soda or broccoli). Pressurized cabins have their pluses (they enable us to breathe easily at 36,000 feet) and their minuses (they tend to cause everything on the plane, including us, to blow up like a balloon). To avoid any discomfort, steer clear of carbonated beverages and hard-to-digest veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. Of course, beans aren’t a great idea either. Recently, I read that the sorbitol in peaches can also cause problems for some people—bummer!

Hold the fettucine alfredo. Eating a heavy, hard-to-digest meal is not a great idea before or during your flight. So, stick to the lighter fare and save the high-protein dish for when you arrive. It’ll boost your energy and send a signal to your body that it’s time to get going, even if your brain knows it’s 11PM back home.

Ditch the deep-fried [fill in the blank]. Whether it used to be a potato, chicken wing or candy bar, if it has been coated in batter and dunked in a vat of oil, then it is not a good choice for you. Because deep-fried foods are high in saturated fats, they slow digestion and can cause heartburn. Your heart will thank me, as will your gut.

Limit sugary drinks, caffeine and alcohol. All three of these tend to cause dehydration, which is already a problem with air travel. Dehydration isn’t just being thirsty – it is a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis (a condition caused by blood clots inside your veins). Dehydration causes fatigue, headaches and worsens jet lag. Given that airplane cabin pressure is generally equivalent to an altitude of 5,000 to 8,000 feet above sea level, one drink on a plane can have the effect of two or three on land. If you’re bleary eyed and trying to crank out that final report, then try stick to just one drink. You’ll be better able to adjust to the new time zone and take on whatever you have planned when you land.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Alright, enough of the bad news. Let’s talk about what you should eat!

Water, water and more water! Drink all of the water you can to limit the effects of dehydration and jet lag. Yes, it may be annoying to get up from your seat and head to the bathroom every thirty minutes, but that’s great for circulation anyway.

Eat light. Choose meals that are low in fat and lack the ingredients mentioned above.

Try peppermint, ginger and celery. Peppermints and peppermint tea are great for calming uneasy stomachs on turbulent rides—and they happen to be quite delicious, in my opinion. Or, if you are not a peppermint fan, ginger is another effective alternative to keep on hand. Ginger ale, ginger tea and ginger candies all help soothe grumpy stomachs. Several seasoned travelers I know munch on celery during bumpy flights—it supposedly calms the nervous system—but I haven’t tried it. If you do, let me know if it works!

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Before you use the safe in your hotel room make a check. Select your 4 or 6 digit code and lock the safe. Then key in 0000 or 000000 as the case may be and see if the safe opens. Some safes are defaulted to open when you key in those zeros.

If in doubt check with reception.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Before you use the safe in your hotel room make a check. Select your 4 or 6 digit code and lock the safe. Then key in 0000 or 000000 as the case may be and see if the safe opens. Some safes are defaulted to open when you key in those zeros.

If in doubt check with reception.

I do not bring my valuables when I'm overseas. As for money, I bring a mixture of cards, paper currency and cheques and keep them in different parts of the body :biggrin:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sometimes the safe is a good thing to use if you are going to leave the room briefly eg to go to the gymnasium or out for a quick bite.

I do not bring my valuables when I'm overseas. As for money, I bring a mixture of cards, paper currency and cheques and keep them in different parts of the body :biggrin:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. Typically when checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for any charges to your room).

You go to your room and settle in. All is good.

The hotel receives a call and the caller asks for (as an example) room 620 - which happens to be your room.

The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end says the following: 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card number and verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything wrong, since the call seems to come from the front desk you oblige. But actually, it is a scam by someone calling from outside the hotel. They have asked for a random room number, then ask you for your credit card and address information. They sound so professional, that you think you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this scenario on your travels, tell the caller that you will be down to the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go to the front desk or call directly and ask if there was a problem. If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone tried to scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped........and is still cleaning up the mess.

P.S. Please, consider spreading the word by forwarding this e-mail (as a "bcc"!). Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty experience.

ANYONE travelling should be aware of this one!

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks for the advice. This is something I was not aware of and I will remember your advice should this scenario happen.

acura888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for a good advice. Another thing to note is that whenever pay by credit card when in oversea please do take extra precaution as they might keep your card details and use it for online transaction. Before you travel out ask your credit card company to set a sms alert anything above $100 so you know if anyone misued your credit card.

shayanjameel08

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah You should ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unless the eatery is at least in a reputable 4-star hotel do not be tempted by freshly cut fruit and open beverage with ice cubes from streetside eateries in malaysia, or any 3rd world cuntry in the tropics. this includes ice kacang and chendol. there's a good chance of traces of fecal matter containing escherichia coli in them.