• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taiwan - Treasure Island of the East

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm interested to stay in Taiwan for 7 days every forth month. What is the budget I should prepare if wish to eat and travel, including air tickets? The last time I went there cost me $1k sing and it is because of hotel stay, from Taipei to Taichong then Alishan....very expensive on the fast train as well. Budget carrier like Tiger got promotion that cost me less then $100 for 2 person but that is rare.

So which budget airway should I take? Which accommodation should I reserved? I also wanted to do the mountain climb like Macritchie reservoir etc..??

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I'm interested to stay in Taiwan for 7 days every forth month. What is the budget I should prepare if wish to eat and travel, including air tickets? The last time I went there cost me $1k sing and it is because of hotel stay, from Taipei to Taichong then Alishan....very expensive on the fast train as well. Budget carrier like Tiger got promotion that cost me less then $100 for 2 person but that is rare.

So which budget airway should I take? Which accommodation should I reserved? I also wanted to do the mountain climb like Macritchie reservoir etc..??

Hi brother, glad to know that you love Taiwan. Taiwan is a big country and there are plenty of places to visit. Personally, I would suggest the following.

1. Stay in a different city each time you are there. Each city brings out a different charm. Personally, my preferred city is Hualien. Quiet city, has a beach that overlooks the pacific, people has a slower pace of life. I have met Taiwanese who actually gave up a good career in Taipei to go back to Hualien and strike out on their own.

2. Go to places that people do not normally visits. When people mentioned Taiwan, places like alishan, sun moon lake, taipei, yangmingshan comes to people's mind. There are plenty of other places that people visit on a lesser frequency. Green island is one place. It is a very beautiful island with very beautiful corals.

3. Since you already have the intention to visit the country every four months, then book your air tickets early. I do not think you can find $100 for 2 airfare today, but I got mine for $430 for 2 which I find inexpensive. I am not a fussy traveller, therefore I do not mind flying budget. So it all depends on your preference and your own budget.

4. Each time I am there, I have to spend at least $3k. You are right that the hotel is expensive. If you do not mind $50-70 hotels, I can recommend some to you. Another alternative is to stay in hostels. There are plenty of well run, clean hostels in Taiwan. You'll get to meet many people from around the world. Some hostels provide a stay for free program if you help them with some cleaning and maintainence during your stay.

Let me know how I can help you more. Have a nice trip there :smile:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whole trip: Taipei-Alishan-SML-CingJing-Hualien-Taipei

From CJ to HL, we will be chartering vehicle. On the way, will stop at Hehuanshan and Taroko.

I have never bedded a Taiwan girl before. This time I will find an excuse :wink:

ADDED: Seriously thinking of Silk Road at the end of the year. Have you gone that way before? Xian-Xinjiang-Then those funny funny central Asia towns...

wow... so many pictures. i was there ard 10yrs ago but i didnt go many places nor take many pictures. that time digital cameras just in the market and i borrow a old school film camera there. took some pictures but now dont where i put them. i good thing i misplace them if not wife sure many questions as i go there to meet a gal, stay her home and of course slept on her bed.:biggrin: that time single and available. but in the end, it didnt work out as the distance become a problem. she fly down to break up but not before one last hurray.:o

i went to the aquarium at the east coast alone, day trip by train. then fly to kaosiong with her from taipei songshan airport. one hr flight, then took a bus/coach to kengding over the weekend. i went in august, in taiwan high summer. i nearly bake to death, bloody hot and dry, lucky got bring my saf jungle hat. because my day trips were book by her using my passport name, the guides all ignored me unitl i found out some of them tot i ABC, no speakee chinese.... even the other day trippers also ignore me, sat alone in the coach/train alone with only my trusty discsman to keep me accompany. overall, i find taiwanese very proud and a bit see singapore no up.

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
i went to the aquarium at the east coast alone, day trip by train. then fly to kaosiong with her from taipei songshan airport. one hr flight, then took a bus/coach to kengding over the weekend. i went in august, in taiwan high summer. i nearly bake to death, bloody hot and dry, lucky got bring my saf jungle hat. because my day trips were book by her using my passport name, the guides all ignored me unitl i found out some of them tot i ABC, no speakee chinese.... even the other day trippers also ignore me, sat alone in the coach/train alone with only my trusty discsman to keep me accompany. overall, i find taiwanese very proud and a bit see singapore no up.

Haha, great memory for you brother. Generally, Taiwanese girls are more demure and gentle. Lucky you :biggrin:

What do you mean by the aquairum on the east coast? My next trip in July is a family trip and my cousin loves aqua life. I'll be going in mid July, during my birthday. Hope I would not end up burnt :p

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha, great memory for you brother. Generally, Taiwanese girls are more demure and gentle. Lucky you :biggrin:

What do you mean by the aquairum on the east coast? My next trip in July is a family trip and my cousin loves aqua life. I'll be going in mid July, during my birthday. Hope I would not end up burnt :p

East coast. I think page two of this thread have pictures of the place, hua lian. Much biggrt than sentosa pathic underwater world and many rides available. Then there the dolphin and sealion performance. Btw, summer is taiwan holiday season and school holiday so everywhere got water will be crowded and prices more expensive. There another establishment in the south at kending where the prime attraction is the white color whales. Not sure still alive or not after so many years. Check for weather before go as july is the typhoon season. The year i go farking hot because no typhoon, news on tv keep telling ppl dont waste water as reservoirs water level very low.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
no offence to those who like urinetaiwan. BUT

it is the bastard child of urine tiongland, i hope the tiongs quickly recapture it.

ugly, polluted, no respect for traffic rules, fuckers can soemtimes drive on pavements.
need pros to sell betel nut and basically it is ugly and smelly

the only saving grace is in the inner lands of urinewan and its nice beaches in summer months.
otherwise there are plenty of better places I would spend my money.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
East coast. I think page two of this thread have pictures of the place, hua lian. Much biggrt than sentosa pathic underwater world and many rides available. Then there the dolphin and sealion performance. Btw, summer is taiwan holiday season and school holiday so everywhere got water will be crowded and prices more expensive..

Ok, that's Hualien Farglory Ocean Park. I did realise that the hotels are at least 20% more expensive during the summer. I have never been there during the summer, so consider it an experience :smile:

You should bring OC there again. :biggrin:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
it is ugly and smelly

the only saving grace is in the inner lands of urinewan and its nice beaches in summer months.
otherwise there are plenty of better places I would spend my money.

Hi brother, one man's meat is another man's poison I guess :biggrin:

How about sharing with us some of the places that you feel is worth visiting?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should bring OC there again. :biggrin:

unless i have a death wish lor.

ever been to a cinema in taiwan? it more expensive than spore but the seat is adjustable, machiam like airline seat. i watch nemo over there, so u can guess which year i went. when i q for the tickets, the ticket sellers ask me in what langague? i was like huh, not english meh? apparently the movie was dubbed into hokkien and manderin. brought the english tickets, the cineplex was huge, inside a new shopping centre along BaDaLu(if i remember correctly) and there are 15 or more theatres inside the cineplex.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Islands Hopping In Taiwan

Matsu Island

Matsu (馬祖) is the name for a group of island's off China's southern coast, approximately 100 miles NW from the island of Taiwan. The island falls under the jurisdiction of the Republic of China (Taiwan) and along with Kinmen, forms the front lines between the ROC and PRC.

Regular ferry service used mostly by military personnel runs between Matsu and Keelung. The Tai-Ma Ferry (tel. 02-24246868, [1]) takes ten hours and departs nightly from Keelung at 11pm, calling at Dongyin after eight hours and then arriving two hours later at Nangan. The return journey is an hour later, but only calls at Dongyin on alternate days. Tickets vary between NT$630 and NT$1890, depending on the bed (seat, dorm, quad or twin). One-way ticket can be reserved within 7 days before the ferry departure date.

Matsu is famous for its fantastic seafood. Be sure to try superb authentic northern Fujian cuisine at East Fujuin Pearl (22 Matzu village, Nankan) - the specialty is "Buddha Hand clams".

Fish noodles (ground fish meat combined with potato starch and salt to form a dough, which is then cut into noodles) is a local specialty - best place is Qinbi village on Beigan.

Jiguang pastry - Made from flour and baked in charcoal urns, these pastries resemble bagels in appearance (and slightly so in taste). They were used by General Chi Jiguang in the Ming Dynasty, so that his soldiers could carry their food on strings on their chests during long marches.
Golden dumplings: Made from sweet potatoes, with sweet peanut and sugar filling. Served cold with sweet pea soup.

sv2ydz.jpg

167tmxt.jpg

28ahs7r.jpg

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Penghu 澎湖 (also called the Pescadores) is an outlying island archipelago located in the Taiwan Straits between Taiwan and China and is under the jurisdiction of Taiwan.

One night in Magong, then catch a boat to Qi-mei Island and stay in one of several B & Bs for the night. On returning to Magong spend another night in one of the many B & Bs in one of the villages that are scattered about the islands where you can view the ruins of and some restored traditional courtyard houses, particularly in Erkan Village, Xiyu, that are made from coral and local stones.

Ride a bicycle from Magong's Rainbow Bridge along the bicycle path beside the seashore is highly recommended. From here you get excellent views across the water to Xiyu Island. Tourists can take a walk along Shan-shiu or Ai-men Beach, (each just a $200NT (Taiwanese Dollar) taxi ride away) Most tourist also like to take a boat ride to see some of the many other islands. Take a boat trip to Seven Beauty Island (in Chinese it is called Qi-mei although it is more often Romanised as Ci-mei or Chi-mei) an island to the south, is also highly recommended. The boat trip from the Magong harbourside South Sea Tourist Centre takes about 90 minutes and you get to see several other islands along the way. Qi-mei Island is a great place to stay in a B & B for one night. The island is small but hilly with cliffs falling into the sea on the southern side. Goats may be seen grazing across the island and another interesting feature is the dry stone and/or coral fences. The best way to travel around is on bikes and this should come as part of the B & B package. However, you will need a Taiwanese licence. Perhaps best to travel with some Taiwanese friends as almost no one speaks English here. Ji-bei Island, is a short boat trip to the north and has some of the best beaches.

I love this. But it makes my mouth smelled like poo :o

2hmlrgi.jpg

qqd6av.jpg

4u7yg9.jpg

242adlh.jpg

2qxufs3.jpg

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

My favourite island. Green Island :biggrin:

Green Island (綠島; Lǜ Dǎo) is located off the coast of Taitung County. Two options are available for those heading to Green Island.
The first option is by boat. The ferry heads from TaiDong's FuGang harbor to Green Island before heading to Orchid Island. Tickets are NT$920 round trip. The trip lasts about an hour. Motion-sickness bags are plentiful around the ship and many are used when the sea is choppy. Taxis from TaiDong's train station are NT$350 each way.

The second option is to fly. Daily Air flies three times daily from TaiDong Airport to Green Island's small airport. Tickets are NT$980 one way for adults and NT$460 for children. The flights last 15-20 minutes.
Unless pressed for money, it is suggested that the flight be taken. The ferry makes many people sick.
Before you go, make sure to bring enough cash for the entirety of your visit. Although the island does have two ATMs (that only accept domestic cards), the machines could run out of money and leave you stranded as only the larger hotels on the island accept credit cards.

Besides one of only 3 saltwater hot springs in the world , Green Island has some decent snorkeling and scuba. The sites along the north side feature mostly hard corals while the southern sites feature mostly soft corals. The north side is home to many species of nudibranchs and several species of pygmy seahorses. Unfortunately the north cannot be dived in the winter due to the strong winds and waves at that time of year. Beware the current as it is very strong, there are a few places with little current that novice or beginner divers can use however.

Not all of the dive shops adhere to high safety standards so if you are inexperienced diver, caution is advised.
One famous attraction underwater is (claimed by the locals) the oldest and largest living coral head in the world. It is about two stories tall about about 4 meters wide. A very beautiful site but it requires a 300 meter round trip swim to visit. Snorkelling can be done for as cheap as NT$300 for an hour or so if you ask around.

33epvet.jpg

24eanmx.jpg

2ns851l.jpg

ibdgs5.jpg

11m6avm.jpg

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Kenting National Park (墾丁國家公園; kěndīng gúojiā gōngyuán) is in at the extreme southern tip of Taiwan. It is famous for its beautiful beaches and lush vegetation.

Interesting Trivia:Thai food is currently in Vogue in Kenting, and virtually every restaurant now offers it. At night the main road in Kenting becomes a night market, with all kinds of food sold from stalls. There are plenty of restaurants too - lots of Chinese (of course), Thai, and a little western. There is also a lot of fresh fruit available and plenty of seafood.

29e4r44.jpg

kenting.jpg

P1010319.jpg

Somehow, this last picture reminds me of Rockhampton in Australia :o

Last edited:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
5 must try food in Taipei

There are so many of my friends going to Taipei soon and keep asking me the same question “What is there to eat?” If you haven’t been to Taiwan before, there are three types of food you must try: The street food, the desserts and the regional specialties.

Do not leave Taiwan without going to one of the night markets to nibble on tempura (tian bu la), crepes, fried chicken, and stinky tofu. Also, each region has its own signatures, such as my favourite Ah Gei (tofu sealed with vermicelli and fish paste), fish balls and black iron eggs from Dan Shui.

Of course, every meal must be paired with a dessert or drink such as bubble tea, grass jelly, aiyu, shaved ice and milk shakes. Some say you cannot leave Taiwan without trying the braised pork rice and beef noodles. I say match that with bubble tea.

Here are some other must-try food.

25jic6p.jpg

Taiwan Sausages
If you think they are anything close to the German franks and bratwurst, you will be in for a surprise. Taiwanese sausages are short, sweet and oily, barbequed to perfection by the street hawker. They come in a variety of flavours such as black pepper, garlic, chilli, wasabi, butter or even chocolate! If you are in something even strange and calories-inducing, try the 大肠包小肠 (literally meaning big sausage wrapping small sausage) which is a sweet pork sausage wrapper in grilled sticky rice. Guilt to the max!

6o1jcy.jpg

Xiao Long Bao
This steamed dumpling 小笼包 may have originally in eastern China, but it was Taiwanese’s Din Tai Fung which reached this dish out to the world. Awarded one Michelin Star and ranked as one of the world’s Top Ten Best Restaurants by The New York Times, the original Din Tai Feng can be found at Yong Kang Street. The dumplings are served hot in bamboo basket. Be careful when you eat them, as hot-piping soup will burst out from within.

200qp6u.jpg

Iced Mango
Talking about Yong Kang Street, this is one of the best places to find quiet cafes and food gems. Ice Monster’s 冰馆 mango and other fresh fruits desserts are irresistible in summer. Fresh sweet mangoes topped with mango ice cream, milk, syrup and pulp, laid over thin ice shavings which melt instantly in your mouth. The servings are generous and fruits sweet and fresh.

6fnm1c.jpg

Mee Sua
You can find the best mee suah at Ximending’s Emei Street 西门丁 or Shida Night Market 师大夜市, also known as the ‘university night market’. The best around are really 阿鑫面线 and 阿宗面线. This has thin smooth vermicelli cooked for long hours in a tan brown starchy soup base. Usually large intestines and oysters are added, adding some chewiness and bite. Ah Zong at Emei Street has no seats for customers. Therefore, you will just spot crowds around holding and slurping divine bowls of goodness.

330wjzl.jpg

Pork Pepper Buns
Found at Rao He Night Market, the secret of 福州世祖胡椒饼 success is the rich and juicy filling of its buns, made of fresh pork, marinated in a special sauce concocted using a secret recipe. The plentiful green onions and strong peppery taste is almost a perfect combination. The pepper buns, lightly sprinkled with sesame seeds on the crust, are crisp on the outside and piping hot in the inside.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
More Taiwanese Food To Try

1. Oyster Omelet (蚵仔煎)

As an island country, Taiwan loves its seafood. Oyster omelets, which originated in Taiwan, are commonly considered one of the world’s most addictive dishes. Piles of fresh oysters dumped on top of crispy fried eggs and thickened with potato starch give the oysters a thick, chewy texture that both contrasts and complements the crunchiness of the egg. Right before they’re taken off the grill, the omelets are topped with cilantro and savory sauce to add layers of taste and texture. At Shilin Night Market in Taipei—one of Taiwan’s largest and most widely renowned night markets—numerous stalls peddle this tantalizing traditional treat.

2mcsguw.jpg

2. Slack Season’s Dan Zai Noodles (擔仔麵)

A Tainan fisherman allegedly invented this pork-and-prawn dish a century ago when he decided to sell noodles during the slack season. Egg noodles are served in a shrimp-based soup with minced pork, bean sprouts and a sprinkling of coriander. His noodles were so popular that he gave up fishing to dish up dan zai noodles full time. His store, Slack Season (度小月擔仔麵), still resides in Tainan, a city known for its Taiwanese snack foods. Street stalls throughout Taiwan have adopted dan zai noodles as a national dish.

mmbmnl.jpg

3. Iron Eggs (鐵蛋)

Iron eggs are quail eggs marinated in soy sauce until black and chewy. The eggs are repeatedly braised in soy sauce and spices over the course of several days. Iron eggs wer allegedly invented when a cook, Huang Zhangnian (黃張哖), decided to re-cook leftover marinated eggs after they had cooled. Her store, A-Po’s Iron Eggs (阿婆鐵蛋) is still running and is located in the bustling markets of Danshui, a seaside town north of Taipei. Eggs come fresh in boxes or vacuum-sealed plastic for you to take home as delicious souvenirs.

2w6uj4z.jpg

4. Tempura (甜不辣)

Don’t be fooled by the name—this is NOT the Japanese tempura famous in sushi shops across the US. Taiwanese tempura is spiced seafood paste molded into different shapes, deep-fried and boiled in broth. The fried tempura are eaten separately from the broth and smothered in sauce. The broth is then poured back into the bowl at the end to wash out the remnants of the sauce and tempura. Tempura come in various flavors depending on the seafood (fish, shrimp, octopus or scallop). The Keelung Temple Night Market in Keelung, famous for its fresh seafood, is the ideal place to try tempura.

34qmtd1.jpg

5. Fried Chicken (鹽酥雞)

This isn’t your typical Colonel Sanders Kentucky fry. Taiwan removed the bones and chopped the chicken into bite-sized chunks for marination. The chicken pieces are deep-fried, seasoned with salt and white pepper and served as snack food. The chicken is usually fried up with basil for an extra layer of flavor. You can also mix your chicken with other fried foods. Some popular variations are mushrooms, fish balls, and seafood. Eat them on skewers as you wander the Feng Chia Night Market in Taichung, the originator of this addictive snack.

e7m2d3.jpg

6. Scallion Pancakes (蔥抓餅)

Traditional scallion pancakes are comprised of flatbread dough folded with oil and scallions, fried up and served piping hot. Flaky with a crispy outer covering, scallion pancakes are sometimes served thin with an egg coating, slathered with sauce and folded for easy transport. Some stalls add meat and vegetables for a more filling meal. Other stalls fold fillings, usually scallions and pork, in the middle of the dough before frying. A popular snack across Taiwan, every stall has their own variations and specialities! Try scallion pancakes at any night market for a delicious start to your night.

i27uo5.jpg

jw5

Loyal
More Taiwanese Food To Try

1. Oyster Omelet (蚵仔煎)

The picture of the oyster omelet looks like the SG version.
The Taiwan version is not crispy and comes with a sweet sauce on top, not the chilli-looking-like-sauce in the bowl.
IMHO, the SG version is better.

Other than the oyster omelet and the stinky toufu, I like most Taiwanese food and snacks.
Ah Gei and Tianbula (Tempura) are good recommendations.
Walking around the night markets and trying the snacks is a must when visiting Taiwan.
If in Taipei, visit Eslite bookstore which is open throughout the wee hours of the morning.
And don't forget to walk nine times on Zhong Xiao Dong Lu!

jw5

Loyal
y never go taipei museum? ... watz there 2 c in taipei museum? ...

If you like history, this is the place to go, it can take you the whole day.

From wikipedia:
The National Palace Museum (Chinese: 國立故宮博物院 Guólì Gùgōng Bówùyuàn) is an art museum in Taipei City, Taiwan. It is the national museum of the Republic of China, and has a permanent collection of 693,507 pieces of ancient Chinese artifacts and artworks,[1] making it one of the largest in the world. The collection encompasses over 8,000 years of Chinese history from the Neolithic age to the late Qing Dynasty.[4] Most of the collection are high quality pieces collected by China's ancient emperors.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The picture of the oyster omelet looks like the SG version.
The Taiwan version is not crispy and comes with a sweet sauce on top, not the chilli-looking-like-sauce in the bowl.
IMHO, the SG version is better!

Nothing escapes your eyes. :biggrin:

Could not find a decent pic of the Taiwanese version :o

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
139824804.occJeIrk.jpg

139824808.Tio4FSBn.jpg

139824816.5VXN0ZWk.jpg

139825750.dml7fCuE.jpg

In Taiwan, please do not miss the Sun Moon Lake - a nice ,peaceful and quiet boat ride will be great!!!