• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RAS : we need foreign workers!!!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: The Restaurant Association of Singapore (RAS) has urged the government to re-assess curbs on the inflow of foreign workers or businesses will face dire consequences.

It added in a statement that if nothing is done, Singapore may also lose its reputation as a global city with a vibrant food and beverage (F&B) sector.

The association was responding to the Population White Paper, which was recently endorsed in Parliament. The paper charts the roadmap for Singapore's future policies on population and immigration.

The association, which has more than 300 members accounting for over 1,300 restaurant outlets, also called for a review of the Foreign Worker Levies (FWL), in view of what has been described as "the severe labour shortage faced by the F&B sector".

It said the sector is facing a dire situation because many Singaporeans tend to shun F&B jobs, leaving the industry with little choice but to rely on foreign workers.

It added that the White Paper should be viewed objectively by all parties and policies need to be realistic.

The association then listed various scenarios that may happen, under the current labour shortage. They include businesses shutting down or moving out of Singapore, as well as consumers facing higher food prices.

It said: "Businesses may be forced to shut down or move their operations to other countries, a situation which will deprive the Singapore government of tax income; consumers can expect food prices to increase, due to high operating costs caused by artificial wage inflation, high-cost productivity drive and high rentals.

"Consumers can expect higher food prices without a concomitant increase in quality and service standards due to lack of manpower. In fact, quality and service may decline."

"The government cannot benefit if businesses are unable to sustain themselves, as this will have a chain reaction," the association added.

It has also suggested several measures for the government to consider. Among them are adjusting either the Foreign Worker quota or the levy quantum; channelling the levy collected to further help businesses enhance their productivity; and considering alternative sources of labour.

The association said: "In reviewing the White Paper, the RAS is of the view that, in general, a larger population can have a positive impact on the economy and the government which derives its revenue primarily from various forms of taxation, such as Consumption Tax, Income Tax, and Property Tax.

"But for business to be able to pay tax, they must be profitable. It is, therefore, imperative to have sustainable business activities, and for our population and workforce to be able to support our economy.

"This justifies the need for more manpower. If the dire situation persists, not only will revenue be channelled abroad, the reputation of Singapore as a global city and its F&B/restaurant sector as one of the most vibrant, could be severely affected."

- CNA/ac

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Another good reason to have foreign workers in our F & B industry...
But increasing our population to 6.9 million will solve this problem ?
More people, more business and more F&B requirements....good for Singapore.
More reason to justify the inflow of foreigners....

Kinanana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly! there is asevere shortage of workers in the restaurant industry! Have you not noticed the declining service standards in restaurants and food outlets nowadays! Sinkies are mad to restrict foreignors to these jobs that they are not willing to do! Morons! If voting opposition can solve this manpower shortage, by all means. We are now held ransom by a small group of moronic opp supporters who wants to screw the livelihood of the other 60%!

SixthColumn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another good reason to have foreign workers in our F & B industry...
But increasing our population to 6.9 million will solve this problem ?
More people, more business and more F&B requirements....good for Singapore.
More reason to justify the inflow of foreigners....
but they always get my orders wrong leh..

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think we need many foreign workers in the F & B and Construction Industry..I don't think anyone will quarrel over this.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It added in a statement that if nothing is done, Singapore may also lose its reputation as a global city with a vibrant food and beverage (F&B) sector.

'Vibrant' food and beverage sector?
Oh you mean those numerous Seoul Garden, Fish & Co, Nando's, Breadtalk, Sakae Sushi, Ajisen Ramen. The virtual duopoly of cookie-cutter food courts by Food Republic and Kopitiam? More branches (and lowered quality) of Swensen's and Din Tai Fung? :rolleyes:

Singapore's F&B quality has DECLINED since the influx of these cheap foreign F&B workers. Anywhere you look, the best food on this island are always small establishments, family-run, have a long history, originated and served by locals. Even those Tiong-run zichar stalls' food tastes like shit.

These greedy restaurateurs and corporate groups just want to have a ready supply of more cheap labour to maximize their profits. You know it, I know it, so don't try to deny it.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
We do need them in the service and construction industry and any jobs that singkies don't like to do, no doubt about that bro.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Very good observation.

Yes, the best food is found in small family run establishments. But many of these well known outlets are slowly disappearing too.

Those foreign workers dominated outlets have certainly brought the standard of our food and beverage sector down to a very pathetic level. China Nationals operating and running zichar and franchised outlets are the worst. The standard is pathetically dismal.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Frankly I do not mind sweet, charming and beautiful China mei mei to serve me. I used to enjoy the services of those Filipino waitresses but they have changed and they are less friendly now. China mei meis still the best.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We do need them in the service and construction industry and any jobs that singkies don't like to do, no doubt about that bro.

Ok fair enough..

Then reserve all PMET jobs to the locals.. If not all, then 90% of these jobs should be given to the locals..

SixthColumn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly! there is asevere shortage of workers in the restaurant industry! Have you not noticed the declining service standards in restaurants and food outlets nowadays! Sinkies are mad to restrict foreignors to these jobs that they are not willing to do! Morons! If voting opposition can solve this manpower shortage, by all means. We are now held ransom by a small group of moronic opp supporters who wants to screw the livelihood of the other 60%!
how come gotta 2 Kinanas here?? huh??

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ok fair enough..

Then reserve all PMET jobs to the locals.. If not all, then 90% of these jobs should be given to the locals..

yes I agree...

the RAS is quite fierce...." in dire straits" if Singapore curbs the inflow of foreign workers....

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly I do not mind sweet, charming and beautiful China mei mei to serve me. I used to enjoy the services of those Filipino waitresses but they have changed and they are less friendly now. China mei meis still the best.

Yeah, as long as they give you a nice bbbj after they finish work :biggrin:

SixthColumn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kinanana seems to be in negative territory...hehehe -3???? :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How to micro manage to only 10%? Remember, we have an extremely low birth rate.

Dear Kinana,

Please don't keep on harping on the usual PAP excuse of low birth rate..

We many local graduates in ITE, Polytechnics and our local Unis.. I'm sure these PMET jobs can be given to them.. And don't forget the many locals who used to be from the PMET and who were retrenched a couple of years ago..

These IT companies should start hiring them as they can count on the experience of these mature workers..

A mature worker with many years of job experience can still be a valueable asset to a company instead of them being behind the wheels of an NTUC taxi..

biondi

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is always these 3 industries that need workers. Construction, R&B and retail. Is this the so called Swiss standard of living that Woody promised us? To work in these low value chain industry? Is this what a First World country can produce? I am ready to stand corrected but I believe it was because of the rapid increase of population that created the demand for these industries, so when the govt decides to cap the inflow, these industries find themselves strapped of the cheaper workers that they are so used to.

Last edited:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can we accept the low wage earnesr as citizens?
This low fertility problem is real and does and will bite us just as it bites all over the world. We cannot ignore this problem can we? So far the opposition provided no solution at all.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How can we accept the low wage earnesr as citizens?
This low fertility problem is real and does and will bite us just as it bites all over the world. We cannot ignore this problem can we? So far the opposition provided no solution at all.

Dear Kinana,

The only solution is to raise the pay for all local workers.. With more money inside the kitty, they can make babies for the Govt every nite without any worries..