• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kishore Mahbubani is a Hypocrite!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST 15/8 did a profile on one of LKY's biggest apologists, Kishore Mahbubani -"Don't sniff at our education system", where Kishore criticises Singaporeans for tending to "see only flaws in our system and that NUS is now a world-class university". If that is the case why did Kishore send his children to the private UWC school when he returned to Singapore? Why have his children gone to the States for their tertiary education? Why does the Singapore Government invariably continue to send ALL its top scholars to Ivy League and Oxbridge institutions? Most curious of all the Singapore Government even sent the latest batch of President Scholars who chose to read Medicine and Law to Oxbridge instead of the purported 'world class' Medical and Law Faculties at NUS. Why or why or why dear Kishore?:rolleyes:

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see his role, in the great scheme of things, to that of Copywriter, Advertising Department,
Singapore Inc.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST 15/8 did a profile on one of LKY's biggest apologists, Kishore Mahbubani -"Don't sniff at our education system", where Kishore criticises Singaporeans for tending to "see only flaws in our system and that NUS is now a world-class university". If that is the case why did Kishore send his children to the private UWC school when he returned to Singapore? Why have his children gone to the States for their tertiary education? Why does the Singapore Government invariably continue to send ALL its top scholars to Ivy League and Oxbridge institutions? Most curious of all the Singapore Government even sent the latest batch of President Scholars who chose to read Medicine and Law to Oxbridge instead of the purported 'world class' Medical and Law Faculties at NUS. Why or why or why dear Kishore?:rolleyes:

Because as a diplomat his children did not do 2nd language overseas.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because as a diplomat his children did not do 2nd language overseas.
Such kids are exempted from 2nd language in usual govt schools. Kishore's ex and current wives are foreigners from Ang Mo land just as JBJ's wife and therefore allowed to attend UWC.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
if a cobra and kishore come into my kitchen I will boil boiling on kishore first follow by boiling oil.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's because as a LKY graduate school president, he has to follow the line, even if its hypocritical many a times.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey,he is still drawing his pay from the government and PAP is still the government.
maybe after he retired and migrate to other countries,then we will read about his true opinions of those issues lor.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder whether Gretchen's children with Liu attend/ed local schools or private schools like UWC?

Such kids are exempted from 2nd language in usual govt schools. Kishore's ex and current wives are foreigners from Ang Mo land just as JBJ's wife and therefore allowed to attend UWC.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prof, here's why parents look to Aussie universities

Prof Mahbubani, (above), should understand why parents send their children overseas, says letter writer. -- ST FILE PHOTO

I REFER to your report last Friday which profiled the head of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Professor Kishore Mahbubani, ('Don't sniff at our education system'). In the report, Prof Mahbubani said: 'Look at the number of parents who are paying to send their kids to Australian universities when, frankly, the NUS provides a far better education than most Australian universities.'.
At the same time, Professor Mahbubani admits that his own children chose to study in foreign universities, and makes light of the fact.

I'm reminded of the time when those who chose to study and stay on to work abroad were branded 'quitters' by our leaders. I was dismayed to read later that many children of leaders themselves were studying and staying overseas.

Instead of making sweeping statements, ivory tower academics like Prof Mahbubani should keep in touch with and understand why ordinary Singaporean parents send their children to foreign universities.

They pay for an overseas university education for their children because local universities like the National University of Singapore (NUS) do not give them a chance. For example, my friend's daughter recently applied to study medicine, law or business at NUS. Despite having results as good as the others who were picked, she was rejected for medicine and law and given only her third option: business administration.

So, she went to an Australian university, which offered her a place to study her first choice, medicine. Previously, my son wanted to study law at NUS. But he was offered a scholarship instead, on condition that he read history, signed a bond to be a teacher - and passed a Chinese language test.

These conditions dismayed him, which was why he ended up studying in Sydney, where he stayed on to work after graduation.

He may be one of the so-called 'quitters', but I am happy that he had an invigorating experience at the University of New South Wales.

Our local undergraduates pale in comparison to those in most Australian universities in social awareness and in having the courage to speak out on issues that matter to their community.

I remember Prof Mahbubani as one of the more vocal student leaders during our days at Singapore University (the predecessor of NUS).

It will be nice to see him encourage NUS undergraduates to be a little bit more like him in those days, and speak out for the people when there is a need for them to do so.

Ang Kian Chuan