• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How much rice you eat everyday?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
my doctor told me not to eat so much rice. too much carbo is bad for me. the good doctor also told me that many people who eat too much rice in the end develop many illnesses...how much rice do you eat everyday?

i've started to eat very little rice. how about you?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can white rice, a staple food for half of the world's people, be bad for you? A study published by the Harvard School of Public Health suggests that people who eat too much white rice may significantly increase their odds of developing type 2 diabetes.

Fugly

Alfrescian
Loyal
my doctor told me not to eat so much rice. too much carbo is bad for me. the good doctor also told me that many people who eat too much rice in the end develop many illnesses...how much rice do you eat everyday?

Ya eat more kiam than rice is good for u. Rice are eaten by asians.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Researchers based their findings on four previous studies that followed more than 352,000 people from China, Japan, Australia, and the US. The studies made note of people who developed type 2 diabetes between four and 22 years after the start of the study.

The studies found that people who ate the most white rice were 1.5 times more likely to develop diabetes than people who ate the least amount of white rice. Specifically, the study found that for every 5.5 ounce serving of white rice, a person's risk rose 10 percent.

The researchers wrote, "This applies for both Asian and Western cultures, although due to findings suggesting that the more rice eaten the higher the risk, it is thought that Asian countries are at a higher risk."

They current thought is that rice is quickly converted into sugar by the body, causing a spike in blood sugar levels as well as the proverbial rapid onset of hunger. The onset of hunger can lead to overeating, which is another risk factor for type 2 diabetes.

Doctors also pointed out that white rice wasn't the only culprit in this mechanic. Pastas, white bread, and white potatoes also carry much the same risk.

Doctors say that eating one to two servings of white rice per week is fine, but eating more could be a factor in increased diabetes risk.

Ultimately, moderation is the secret in all healthy habits. Any food or habit, done in excess, can cause harm.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
2012035925rice-p.jpg

i noticed my malay and indian colleagues eat a lot of white rice with their curry....is this one of the reasons we see obesity and illnesses in many malays and indians???

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By Dr. LAWRENCE BORGES, ABC News Medical Unit

With every forkful of white rice you eat, your risk of type 2 diabetes could go up, or so says an analysis of research published today in the British Medical Journal.

But don’t put the rice cooker away just yet. Other experts caution there may be only a grain of truth to this latest health warning.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health compiled data from seven studies that followed 352,384 subjects for up to 22 years and kept track of what they ate using food questionnaires. The subjects came from all over the globe, with three of the studies done in Asia, three in the United States and one in Australia.

The results indicate that people in Asia who ate the most white rice were at the highest risk, showing a 55 percent increase in type 2 diabetes over other Asians who ate the least white rice.

But people everywhere were susceptible, as the risk of diabetes went up 11 percent for each additional serving of white rice eaten per day, according to the analysis.

In Asian countries where rice is a staple, this news could have widespread implications. But diet experts argue it’s not just the rice causing trouble there — rather, a societal shift away from physical activity and toward increased food consumption may be to blame.

“White rice has long been a part of Asian diets in which diabetes risk was very low,” says Dr. David Katz, associate professor of public health at Yale University. “It is white rice plus aspects of modern living- including less physical work- that conspire to elevate the incidence of type 2 diabetes.”

The study authors acknowledge this, and note in their conclusion that, “this transition may render Asian populations more susceptible.”

In the United States, where white rice is eaten much less, no alarms bells have sounded yet. So nutrition experts are sticking to their usual advice for patients.

“I’d tell them what we know for sure,” says Keith Ayoob, associate professor in the department of pediatrics at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. “Take steps to keep from becoming overweight, make physical activity a real priority, include some protein and fiber in each meal and snack, and spread your calories throughout the day”.

Dr. Charles Clark, professor emeritus of medicine at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis, echoes that sentiment and sums up his advice concisely: “Eat less, eat more natural food and move more.”

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“Eat less, eat more natural food and move more.”

so don't just eat more and more rice....eat less rice, more vegetables and move your butt...go for some form of exercise and make it a point to do it regularly...

EAT LESS RICE!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Rice is a staple in the diets of many cultures and provides a good source of energy in the form of carbohydrates. There are many types of rice; all are carbohydrate-dense and eating too much may cause you to eat too little of the other nutrients needed to ensure optimal health.

Few Nutrients in Rice

One cup of cooked short-grain rice provides 242 calories, 53 g of carbohydrates and 4.39 g of protein, the U.S. Department of Agriculture calculates. Rice also contains small amounts of iron, phosphorus, potassium, thiamin and folate as well as several other micronutrients. Rice has very little sodium and has no vitamin C. The minimal amounts or total absence of many micronutrients would create a nutritional deficiency if your diet consisted lagely of rice.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if u worry about carbo,,than eat more protein and fibre,,,if u carbo = high GI..than u eat basmati rice, red rice, brown rice..that has complex carbs and will reduce yr GI....Chinese white rice (Jasmine) is one of the worse for carbs,,,,

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if u worry about carbo,,than eat more protein and fibre,,,if u carbo = high GI..than u eat basmati rice, red rice, brown rice..that has complex carbs and will reduce yr GI....Chinese white rice (Jasmine) is one of the worse for carbs,,,,

THANK YOU Sir. I've started on some brown rice.Very little.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2012035925rice-p.jpg

i noticed my malay and indian colleagues eat a lot of white rice with their curry....is this one of the reasons we see obesity and illnesses in many malays and indians???

wheat is the worst food to eat..................worse than sugar itself.............

avoid wheat, potato and corn...................and most grains...................

......................if possible...................

jw5

Loyal
The threadstarter theblackhole aka ilovesingapore aka kopiuncle aka kopisai is a PNG TANG.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You may aLso ask Stephanie Rice, a muLtipLe OLympics' GoLd medaList in Beijing; more about being a Rice..:smile:

Roland

Hi, I'm lau lan. I eat one bowl of rice plus mini mini mini mini beef.