• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best Speech Ever in a long while - Inderjit

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be nothing more than mere empty words unless and until he is willing to put his money where his mouth is and vote against the motion regardless of whether the party whip is lifted or not.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for putting the speech up for discussion. I am still amazed why he did this. It flies in the face of the establishment particularly those who have been pushing the FT wagon for sometime.

Honestly who the fuck wants to do NS? The 70% of PR kids missing it is a shocker.

Wonderful speech by a turbanned and bearded Sikh in Parliament. He lived up his name as a Singh as compared to Davinder Singh.

Very touching, especially the manner in which he spoke about the present govts distancing itself from the original citizenry.

But Inderjit Singh should NOW Cast His VOTE honestly. He should stand by what he believes in.

Remind me of a group of Sikhs in Australia in the Bollywood movie, "SINGH IS KING".

Mr Inderjit Singh please live it up to the traditions of your grandparents.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is actually saying that we should not even discuss the future let alone the white paper until we fix the current issues which are glaringly obvious. He has even provided details how the system is being abused by PRs.

If ever there is white paper, it should be to examine the entire privilege and reward systems for real or indigenous Singapreans, new Singapoans, PRs and Employment passes.

That is a very bold stand. In many eyes, may be reckless and throwing himself to the lions, but to him, probably enough is enough with the feckless PAP.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was real pissed when he told GG governance is not just rhetoric. I would have dearly loved to ask him, what then was the last 10 years of PAP governance if not rhetoric? In SBF parlance, that's TCSS.

In true SBF style, the PAP mantra is "Growth at all costs, you die your business". Cannot see it any other way. When new and and promising leaders according to the PAP like Tan CJ starts issuing lawyers letter, makes condescending comments in his Parliamentary speech, you got to ask what hope we have.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brother Scroobal,I am duty bound to agree with you that he/she made a good speech,but as my elder told me-It remains to be seen,I bet that the stake on PAP side is too high for he/she!

kaypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a BIG country like Australia also make efforts in taking in foreign labour even though they have much larger land mass than us, lower population density than us, why should Singapore go on such an aggressive FT policy?

How many time do you need bros here to repeat?

1. For political reason to stay in power as new shittyzen will vote for them.

2. To fatten their bonus and pay year after year.

So simple and still cannot remember. hiaz.

Last edited:

kaypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk is indeed cheap. If he truly believes in what he said he can cast a vote against his govt and subject himself to party discipline. :biggrin:

In my speech in this house in 2008 during the committee of supply debate on the population I urged the government to abandon the "the instant tree mentality" in trying to grow the population in response to the declining birth rates. At that time, I did not agree with the rate of growth pursued and we know the consequences and the hardship Singaporeans faced as a result of the rapid growth, Instant trees cannot grow strong roots and can be uprooted in difficult times.

Did he voted against the Instant Tree in 2008?

kaypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
After so many speeches, I am surprised not a single person has pointed out the obvious.

2030 is 17 years away.

Taking our current population, it means that the population cannot exceeded 100k per year.

Wrong. 2030 is 17 years away. It does not means every year no more than 100k. Can I say it does allow a total of 6.9 million anytime between now and then? It could be 3 years time in 2016.

I abhor averages too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was rather impressed by WP's counter proposal of 5.9 million which translates to an annual increase of about 30k. The number was not plucked from the sky and is very close to the optimum population growth value. I will take it that it was not by accident and we have some hidden dragons advising WP on policy.

Yes, I'm surprised that WP did not pick on this point. It was obvious that additional 700,000 units of housing is meant for around 2.8 mil more residents, making it a total in excess of 8 mil population in 2030.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was rather impressed by WP's counter proposal of 5.9 million which translates to an annual increase of about 30k. The number was not plucked from the sky and is very close to the optimum population growth value. I will take it that it was not by accident and we have some hidden dragons advising WP on policy.
Probably from deep within the highest ranks of the civil service. I think there was a major internal debate post GE 2011. The greedy fat cats won out eventually, hence the actual target was set at 8 million, though moderated to 6.9 mil for marketing purposes only.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk is cheap...will IS vote no r at the v least abstain?...put up r shut up IS...

Btw wat did i tell u guys abt Laurence Lien appearing to be left of centre...along wif the likes of Yeoh Lam Keong n Donald Low?!...Laurence is making his stand loud n clear...kudos to him...

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...population-6m-says-nmp-laurence-lien-20130207
I'll not be surprised if pap pulls another from their bags of tricks. They may just lift the whip and allow their MPs to vote against the bill, provided they are sufficiently confident that majority will still vote yes. This serve to give impression that pap is democratic and opposition is not required. This will also take some steam out of public anger in that it gives impression the majority of Singapore is for this policy.

SixthColumn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll not be surprised if pap pulls another from their bags of tricks. They may just lift the whip and allow their MPs to vote against the bill, provided they are sufficiently confident that majority will still vote yes. This serve to give impression that pap is democratic and opposition is not required. This will also take some steam out of public anger in that it gives impression the majority of Singapore is for this policy.

I will remember what my MP vote for...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will PAP 'unleash' its most charismatic & persuasive orator tomorrow...n i aint talking abt his son!!...actually think i caught sight of him in parliament earlier in the week?...if ever there was a time PAP needed harry's magical, captivating, beguiling oratory powers it is now...

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk is cheap...will IS vote no r at the v least abstain?...put up r shut up IS...

Btw wat did i tell u guys abt Laurence Lien appearing to be left of centre...along wif the likes of Yeoh Lam Keong n Donald Low?!...Laurence is making his stand loud n clear...kudos to him...

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...population-6m-says-nmp-laurence-lien-20130207

In other Parliaments if a party deputy whip were to even just abstain in a party-line vote he would likely no longer be deputy whip. But then Spore isn't like other Parliaments and so any number of odd things could occur.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will PAP 'unleash' its most charismatic & persuasive orator tomorrow...n i aint talking abt his son!!...actually think i caught sight of him in parliament earlier in the week?...if ever there was a time PAP needed harry's magical, captivating, beguiling oratory powers it is now...
That ancient master? The last time he came out, PAP suffered first GRC lost. An earlier oratory outing in the 1990s resulted in best paid ministers in the world ... that didn't end up well too.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
What no one has looked at or asked is if the PAPzis have promised jobs or access here to nationals of foreign countries who have free trade agreements with us. It is a known fact that that PAPzis have promised Indian, China and Philippine governments that a number of their citizens are to have access to jobs here as part of FTA agreements.

Can someone who knows an oppo MP or NCMP please forward this important information to them so that this can be asked in parliament.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please understd, unless whip is lifted (which I dont see happening) IS has to toe party line.

It is already a big deal the chap spoke up against it, to expect him to vote against it when whip not lifted is unrealistic.

If you want to read more into it, it just shows us that not everyone within the party agrees with it and some feel so passionately about it that they speak up openly, but other than that, dont blow it out of proportion.

But kudos to the singh for speaking up, he is one fella who got balls in that party.