• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best Speech Ever in a long while - Inderjit

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is actually saying that we should not even discuss the future let alone the white paper until we fix the current issues which are glaringly obvious. He has even provided details how the system is being abused by PRs.

If ever there is white paper, it should be to examine the entire privilege and reward systems for real or indigenous Singapreans, new Singapoans, PRs and Employment passes.

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Salute To Mr Singh !

Just yesterday he sharply attacked the Worker's Party and Chen Show Mao for turning off the tap now and killing businesses.

"Mr Inderjit Singh, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, said tightening the labour force and focusing on productivity requires time. “Companies have got a certain business model they are used to. Business models cannot change overnight. If you really care about companies then you will not tighten the labour workforce any further. Give them a chance, a longer time horizon to restructure and then tighten the labour force, but what the Workers Party is proposing is just shut off the tap right now. That is not going to accelerate restructuring; it’s going to kill companies.”

Today, he gives a very passionate speech against the white paper, proposing the govt to give a 5 year breather. Something of a conscience must have struck him since last night to suddenly feel for Singaporeans and swallow back his attack on the WP. Now in less than 24 hours, he wants a halt of 5 years of population influx.

Thanks Mr Singh. We need MP like him with a feel for Sporeans.

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can somebody put up his eager rebuttal to the WP proposal so we can compare and contrast his objections then to his own concerns listed here? Sorry bros, not buying this 'conscience of the PAP' BS one bit. They are creepy, conniving fuckers of the highest order, all of them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In true SBF style, the PAP mantra is "Growth at all costs, you die your business". Cannot see it any other way. When new and and promising leaders according to the PAP like Tan CJ starts issuing lawyers letter, makes condescending comments in his Parliamentary speech, you got to ask what hope we have.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can u trust a bayi (keling) in the first place?

this bayi always compete with crispy seng and now mr 62 directorships yeo to get into headline photo with pinkie. one lousy speech wont make me change my opinion of him, a totally untrustworthy papig.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can somebody put up his eager rebuttal to the WP proposal so we can compare and contrast his objections then to his own concerns listed here? Sorry bros, not buying this 'conscience of the PAP' BS one bit. They are creepy, conniving fuckers of the highest order, all of them.

I am with you on this. I think the main purpose of his speech is not to critique the White Paper per se but to suggest that Spore does not need formal opposition as opposition will come from within PAP ranks. Don't be surprised if we get more examples of such contrived opposition coming out of PAP ranks in further parliamentary sittings up to the next GE.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
After so many speeches, I am surprised not a single person has pointed out the obvious.

2030 is 17 years away.

Taking our current population, it means that the population cannot exceeded 100k per year.

If you look at the population growth numbers, you see that they exeed 100k all the time. For 2012, the increase was close to 120k.

We are therefore going to hit the 7 miilion mark way before 2030.

At the present growth rate, our population will be between 7.5 million to 8.0 million in 2030. I believe this should be the actual internal planning target. They released an artifically low value to prep the ground and were shocked that even the low number of 6.9 miilion is unacceptable.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
After so many speeches, I am surprised not a single person has pointed out the obvious.

2030 is 17 years away.

Taking our current population, it means that the population cannot exceeded 100k per year.

If you look at the population growth numbers, you see that they exeed 100k all the time. For 2012, the increase was close to 120k.

We are therefore going to hit the 7 miilion mark way before 2030.

At the present growth rate, our population will be between 7.5 million to 8.0 million in 2030. I believe this should be the actual internal planning target. They released an artifically low value to prep the ground and were shocked that even the low number of 6.9 miilion is unacceptable.
Yes, I'm surprised that WP did not pick on this point. It was obvious that additional 700,000 units of housing is meant for around 2.8 mil more residents, making it a total in excess of 8 mil population in 2030.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
On one hand, IS is independently wealthy, my understanding is that he is actually doing well in business and he is seen as someone who speaks for the biz community and also as a v capable bizman.

Given he has made quite a pile, he is not dependent on the lee/pappy nepotistic 'business/ntuc' crap. so he can say fuck you to the pappys when he know it stinks

On the other hand, he is still a pappy, in chinkpore, to do biz at his scale, you cannot say fuck you to the pappys. so he must also diam diam.

My impression: he is like those dogs on a retractable lead.
he has a bit of leeway cos the pappys know people like him cannot keep on short leash, might get too pissed off and really say fuck you.

so allow them to vent a bit, but at the end of the day, still on a leash.

btm line: chap is a pappy, once in a while, humanity comes through, but unless he really say fuck you to the pappys and leaves them and joins oppo, I really dont see this as anything more than vent a bit, but still diam diam when the crunch comes.

so dont read too much into IS's speech, as inspiring and wonderful it may be

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Mr Inderjit Singh, MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, said tightening the labour force and focusing on productivity requires time. “Companies have got a certain business model they are used to. Business models cannot change overnight. If you really care about companies then you will not tighten the labour workforce any further. Give them a chance, a longer time horizon to restructure and then tighten the labour force, but what the Workers Party is proposing is just shut off the tap right now. That is not going to accelerate restructuring; it’s going to kill companies.”

Business had at least 2 decades to adjust ....what did they do, they just refuse to change and hang on to the low-cost foreign labour policy. As a result, these companies are struggling without the cheap labour.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what the motive? Show that PAP backbencher Singh better than WP half-ass singh?

I am sure we are all puzzled, amazed and gobsmacked that it came from Inderjit, a dyed in the wool PAP man. The fact that he is deputy whip says where his heart lies. Yet this came from him. The other interesting thing is that he has always been noted for looking after SMEs and entrepreneurs as he is one and the the ones who will be impacted if the Govt withdraws are these people who depend significantly on cheap labour.

Are we looking at another Tan Soo Khoon, who opened up with both barrels when he stepped down as speaker.

Of all the speeches that was against the govt on the white paper, this one takes the cake by a mile. It was not your normal politician speech. It went straight to the guts of the issue and what Singapore means to Singaporeans.

It also shows that people who can put across robust counter arguments are in PAP and we need to look harder to convince such people to join the opposition.

Being a skeptic of anything that PAP says, I was looking for some angle or some reason to suggest that it could mean something else. I could not find anything to suggest that there is an ulterior motive behind this unusual candour.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After close to 60 years, I have yet to meet a good singh. I don't think he is exceptional or he has the guts to deliver all those points (without backing from someone), even if he is quitting after this term. He is just the mouth piece. This exercise is just to prove and shut the mouth of those that wants to continue with economic growth through capital investments and cheap labour. He is blessed to be given the task as it makes him a hero overnight.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is just PAP tactical strategy to deny the oppo MPs all the ammunition to vent the frustrations of the people. Make no mistake, Inderjit will vote for the motion at the end of the day.

My thots too! Otherwise why such contratry stand over 48 hours...remember he was one of those tapped to dirty Andrew Kuan's bid to be a Presidential candidate ( not that i thot AK was suitable )