• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't let PAP take you for granted: WP's Low Thia Kiang

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't let PAP take you for granted: WP's Low Thia Kiang

630low-jpg_164741.jpg

The Workers' Party went on the offensive on Saturday evening during its first rally of the Punggol by-election on Saturday night.

On a muddy field in Punggol, more than 5,000 people turned up to hear WP secretary-general Low Thia Kiang urge voters not to let the PAP take them for granted.

"Ask yourself if the PAP appreciates your support or do you want to send a message to the PAP government that you don't want your support to be taken for granted anymore?," said Low.

"How did Rivervale Plaza, the only marketplace in this town, have delays in renovation works?" said Low. "Have any real efforts been made since two years ago here?"WP chairman Sylvia Lim continued in the same vein, asking voters to keep up the pressure on the ruling PAP.

"Do you really want another PAP man to enter Parliament? There are so many PAP men in parliament already. Why not a WP woman?" she asked to loud applause.

Punggol East candidate Lee Li Lian, who is among four candidates standing for the by-election, also took the stage near the end of the three-hour rally.
Lee: I am just like you

She said her experience serving in Eunos has given her valuable experience in addressing the problems of Singapore.

"Like you I am a heartlander working hard to make a living," said Lee, who stressed that she too came from a humble background, a reference to PAP candidate's Dr Koh Poh Koon "I am one of you" campaign message.

"I'm also an ordinary Singaporean. I grew up in three-room HDB flat. I'm not a high flyer, or a government scholar. I did not do well earlier in my schooling years but I worked hard, really hard, and made it to Ngee Ann Polytechnic and eventually graduated from Curtin University of Australia," said the 34-year-old sales trainer.

"In order to ease the financial burden of my parents, I worked a part-time job when I was 15. I'm running for this because I want a better Singapore, not only for us but also for our children," said Lee, who will be contesting the ward after winning 41 per cent of the votes at the 2011 elections.

Touching on the issues she would champion in Parliament, she said she would focus on healthcare, the elderly and young families.

Acknowledging that Punggol East was home to many young families wanting to have children or already having children, she said that she understood their concerns -- and took the chance to criticise the PAP on the issue of rising childcare and preschool fees.

"Childcare fees have gone up by 35 per cent in five years, despite the increase in the number of childcare and pre-school centres. This is because of high rental costs," she said.

She went on to say that the high rentals are passed on to parents as a result of a lack of subsidies, pointing out that only government linked PCF and NTUC kindergartens enjoyed $30 million in annual funding and heavy rental subsidies.

Earlier in the evening, most key WP party members took to the mic with impassioned speeches on hot topic issues like transport, childcare, healthcare and housing, all with the same underlying message: "The PAP has not listened or done enough for voters".

The 'Aljunied slap'

Hougang MP Png Eng Huat had harsh words, saying that the PAP's "National Conversation" initiative had only come about because of WP's stellar showing at the last elections.

"The PAP was trying to rectify problems highlighted by the people to no avail, until the voters of Hougang decided to give them a tight slap," he said.

Party member Toh Hong Boon's speech on rising transport costs also hit a nerve with the crowd.

"Buying a Chery QQ in Singapore can buy you a Porsche in the US," he declared to loud cheers from the supporters.

WP's offensive on PAP came in the wake of several swipes taken at them by PAP party members.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong had earlier in the morning told reporters that he had not seen any strong views or alternatives being presented by the opposition, both from their NCMPs and elected MPs.

WP members declined to comment on PM Lee's observation, saying that they would address the issue at their next rally.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Ask yourself if the PAP appreciates your support or do you want to send a message to the PAP government that you don't want your support to be taken for granted anymore?," said Low.

That is fine stagecraft Mr. Low. However, you have completely failed to live up to the promise of being a "co-driver" that will "slap the driver" to attention. In fact, WP after winning Aljunied on empty promises, has proposed even higher pay rises for MPs over and above the Ee committee and has gone to sleep with the driver instead.

Touching on the issues she would champion in Parliament, she said she would focus on healthcare, the elderly and young families.

Really? The rabid "Geylang cheongster" WP fan base had also said similar about Gerald Giam; as to how his pet topic is healthcare in SG. Yet not a single mention from GG on healthcare in parliament.

Further Ah Lian had no time for PE and disappeared right after garnering 41% in PE in 2011. Not a peep since then and no mention or article at all from her about her pet topic healthcare.. yet all of a sudden here is Ah Lian just in time at PE assuring residents "she will take care of them".

"Childcare fees have gone up by 35 per cent in five years, despite the increase in the number of childcare and pre-school centres. This is because of high rental costs," she said.

She went on to say that the high rentals are passed on to parents as a result of a lack of subsidies, pointing out that only government linked PCF and NTUC kindergartens enjoyed $30 million in annual funding and heavy rental subsidies.

Earlier in the evening, most key WP party members took to the mic with impassioned speeches on hot topic issues like transport, childcare, healthcare and housing, all with the same underlying message: "The PAP has not listened or done enough for voters".

How come with 6+2 WP MPs in parliament, none had brought this issues up for debate in parliament before; they had 18 months to do so? Or is this only meant to hoodwink the residents of PE to vote for WP and once in parliament they remain muted?

Hougang MP Png Eng Huat had harsh words, saying that the PAP's "National Conversation" initiative had only come about because of WP's stellar showing at the last elections.

Why didn't Png at the least table the "Nat Conversation" for discussing in parliament and went on to table "birdshit" instead?

Party member Toh Hong Boon's speech on rising transport costs also hit a nerve with the crowd.

"Buying a Chery QQ in Singapore can buy you a Porsche in the US," he declared to loud cheers from the supporters.

Again nothing from the WP on transport in parliament. Plenty of posturing at rallies but not a single meaningful question in parliament.

WP's offensive on PAP came in the wake of several swipes taken at them by PAP party members.

WP members declined to comment on PM Lee's observation, saying that they would address the issue at their next rally.

Of course WP declined. How else do you expect them to address the truth about their lack of performance in parliament.

Last edited:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is fine stagecraft Mr. Low. However, you have completely failed to live up to the promise of being a "co-driver" that will "slap the driver" to attention. In fact, WP after winning Aljunied on empty promises, has proposed even higher pay rises for MPs over and above the Ee committee and has gone to sleep with the driver instead.

This has already been proven false many times in this forum, not going to do it again.

Really? The rabid "Geylang cheongster" WP fan base had also said similar about Gerald Giam; as to how his pet topic is healthcare in SG. Yet not a single mention from GG on healthcare in parliament.

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_1#id-96a37eb5-4340-4214-91ea-89686f9c363e#
http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_1#id-170e3294-7514-487e-ae14-6cb385962334#
http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...dContent43a675dd-5000-42da-9fd5-40978d79310f#

Further Ah Lian had no time for PE and disappeared right after garnering 41% in PE in 2011. Not a peep since then and no mention or article at all from her about her pet topic healthcare.. yet all of a sudden here is Ah Lian just in time at PE assuring residents "she will take care of them".

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...dContent43a675dd-5000-42da-9fd5-40978d79310f#
http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_1#id-8c9f75a8-e9f9-46ac-9e71-243aee581503#

How come with 6+2 WP MPs in parliament, none had brought this issues up for debate in parliament before; they had 18 months to do so? Or is this only meant to hoodwink the residents of PE to vote for WP and once in parliament they remain muted?

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_1#id-8175e5e1-609a-441c-a912-4c0778519e95#

Again nothing from the WP on transport in parliament. Plenty of posturing at rallies but not a single meaningful question in parliament.

http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_7#id-4818506a-c925-46a7-967f-553a220c5734#
http://sprs.parl.gov.sg/search/topi...WA_1#id-8bbf3f53-2aea-45e4-8e18-996adc04c89e#

Conclusion: You are a useless troll that can't even substantiate your points.

Last edited:

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't blame him lah. It's the age old Singaporean mentality of sitting on your fat fucking arse waiting to be spoon fed 'facts' by the Shit Times and Mediacunt, otherwise you assume it never happened.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just read the TODAY newspaper front page and I was shocked to read that the education MP Heng watever his name is.. say, "make WP work harder for u by voting for PAP".

What kind of stupidity is this man mouthing out?? Pappies really so scared of WP n opposition getting into parliament>

I mean, let me just use an example to paint a similar picture of how I understand his statement to be..
"if u like a gal, chase her sister/good friend/cousin to get her to be mre interested in u" or

"if u like a product, go buy its competitor brand product, so as to spur the brand u like to haf better price n svc"

Now.. how does that work exactly??

If this Heng wants to copy WP's words.. he should at least think clearly and carefully if the same tactic can be used against WP. WP's claim that more opposition being voted into parliament, will make PAP work harder to prove itself to the voters.. it's a claim (to me) and it may haf an effect.. cos the oppo n WP are the minority.

PAP is the majority in parliament.. so for someone from PAP to say almost the same thing.. is like.. CRAP!!

If u agree with WPls vision for SG and it's intended pocicies and strategies for SG's future.. WHY WOULD YOU VOTE FOR PAP?!!!

SImilarily, if you agree with PAP's policies and strategies, why in hell would you vote for the oppo or WP?

In this world, if ppl can't understand that, esp in this situation, you can't have your cake and eat it too... and make a tough but determined decision to vote for one party or another.. which they believe can steer the country.. and even their lives to a better future.. then.. the ppl are still dreaming.

Pappies seem to be reelin.. and I think WP brought up a lot of good points.. esp about the building that was under upgrade for so long.. that until BE was called.. then there was some news... and perhaps.. pappies haf not been taking Punggol's residents concerns very carefully.. this is ANOTHER wake up call.

I really hope voters there vote with their minds and also with their hearts on how they want their future.. and their children's future will be.. also include their parents and grandparents future too.. cos the may be a turning point for all of us.