• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Food Inc. When farming give way to food factory

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
(Warning: you may not dare to eat food grown in a food factory after watching this doco)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j_ap_qefLjI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Associate Professor Mark Lawrence, an expert in public health nutrition at Deakin University, has provided this review:

“Food Inc provides a devastating expose of the dysfunctional nature of the modern food system. It is a film that highlights the hypocrisy behind government attempts to encourage individuals to eat a healthy diet, while at the same time pursuing policies and partnerships with large food companies that create unhealthy food environments.

The film explains that in the space of a few generations the food system has been transformed from its ecological basis to a highly efficient commercial entity controlled from seed to supermarket by a small number of large multinational corporations. Revealing footage illustrates how the drive for increased efficiencies, ‘innovations’ and profit are positioned ahead of public health, social, animal welfare and environmental interests. For example, viewers are shown inside chicken farms that have become highly mechanised factories controlling drug and nutrition inputs that can produce a full weight chicken with enlarged breasts in 49 days that otherwise would take 3 months.

A particularly stark example of the exploitation of the power differential in the food system is illustrated through Monsanto’s pursuit of an elderly farmer. The farmer operated a creaky old seed cleaner machine to help a handful of his friends preserve their seed supply. From a public health perspective this might be seen as a public good because it is protecting seed biodiversity albeit with contamination from some of Monsanto’s genetically engineered seed. In the commercial world it was defined as a threat to ownership of a seed’s genetic material. The film shows Monsanto’s team of lawyers challenging this individual. After losing his savings attempting to defend himself, Monsanto then extracted the ultimate indignity, through tears he is shown being forced to reveal the names of his close friends to whom he had supplied cleaned seed.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
foodinc2.jpg

In order to grow more white meat in chicken, their breasts are enlarged.

Does this cause male-boobs for chicken eaters?

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is very true,,came out in yahoo news about young gals developing breasts after eating too much factory chicken. We can try to eat the kampung chicken etc but how many can afford. Besides chicken, pork etc also have hormones,,so its already in the food supply.

And with food prices going up and up,,more people will be forced to continue eating such stuff and companies will try to expand the food supply with more hormones and factory farming,,a bleak future indeed

foodinc2.jpg

In order to grow more white meat in chicken, their breasts are enlarged.

Does this cause male-boobs for chicken eaters?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So basically the food supply is already contaminated,,might as well just eat and be happy,,and hope death is quick and painless and not dragged out

I do not see it so negatively.

I just select better food to eat
eg
certified organic,
certified free range
blue/purple food - eg blueberries, purple carrots, etc

and eat less
eg
use a smaller plate to fill the food.

It is expensive to suffer from hypertension, diabetes, gout, obesity.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watch the farmed shrimps and fish that you eat as well.

You moving to South Africa?
I remember that during my days there, they have excellent quality food.

I avoid farmed seafood. My prawns are wild caught from the fisherman who sell what he catch. (His factory in Fremantle and shop in Scarborough Beach - Perth)

Sometimes I cannot avoid farmed salmon - they add colouring to the fish feed to make the salmon meat colour orange - like those caught in the wild.

I am lucky to have my fruit, veg and herbs garden.

Last edited: