• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Raymond Lim's Assistant: PUBLIC TRANSPORT FARES No direct link to fuel prices

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jan 2, 2009
PUBLIC TRANSPORT FARES
No direct link to fuel prices

I REFER to the report, 'Government will try to keep transport costs down' (Dec 22).
Some members of the public have written in to the ministry seeking clarification on the Transport Minister's remarks that public transport fares are pegged to national inflation and wage levels, and not oil prices. As they pointed out that this contradicts the reasons public transport operators gave when they applied for fare increases, we would like to explain how the public transport fare review process works.

Adjustments to public transport fares each year are based on a formula that is pegged to changes in two overall economic indicators, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the Wage Index (WI, which measures national average monthly earnings) over the preceding year.

We explicitly decided not to allow operators to pass on their direct costs, such as fuel and wage costs, or to base their fares on these costs. This is to give operators every incentive to operate efficiently, and keep their costs as low as possible. Thus, even though the operators have sought to justify fare increases based on rising fuel prices, the Public Transport Council (PTC) will adjust fares only according to this prescribed formula.

This is why last year, despite a 40 per cent increase in diesel prices, the increase in CPI and WI was only 2.1 per cent and 6.9 per cent respectively, leading to an allowable fare adjustment of 3 per cent. As the PTC also made the operators absorb a large part of the increase in transfer rebate, fares went up by only 0.7 per cent in October last year.

In assessing the fare applications, the PTC takes into consideration extenuating circumstances, such as adverse economic conditions and significant deterioration in the affordability of fares. Furthermore, as a reality check on the fares, the PTC compares the operator's return-on-total-assets values against those of other industries with similar risk.

The PTC has used these powers before. In 2001, it rejected applications to raise fares, in view of the economic climate then. In 2007, the PTC turned down the application to raise train fares after assessing that the rail industry had done very well the year before.

We understand commuters' concerns about the affordability of public transport. Early last year, the Land Transport Authority announced the plan to introduce distance-based through fares this year.

As we have seen in last year's fare revision exercise, this initiative has helped to reduce fares for most commuters, particularly those who make frequent transfers. When the PTC next deliberates the fare adjustment for this year, we can expect it to move further towards distance-based through fares.

The fare review process is detailed at www.ptc.gov.sg/publi&papers.asp.

Phua Hooi Boon
Director (Land Transport Division)
Ministry of Transport

_AXL_

Alfrescian
Loyal
obviously, we r not paying enough for our ministers. or else, why r we still getting idiots???:rolleyes:

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thus, even though the operators have sought to justify fare increases based on rising fuel prices, the Public Transport Council (PTC) will adjust fares only according to this prescribed formula.
[unquote]

this is a stupid answer... the pap media has always been justifying fare increases citing high fuel prices.. now the ptc claims the fare adjustment formula is not... so either someone change the formula or the pap media is allowed to justify without checks all those previous fare increase...

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The CPI & WI component is set to fall very soon. If that happens, i wonder will Demon Lim think of another excuse to deflect the call for fare decrease. Maybe i can think of the HI (Hawker Index). if hawkers dont decrease their prices, the impact will be directly linked to transport fares.

Can anyone tell me, how often is our CPI & WI gets updated? Its on a quarterly basis, am I right?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thus, even though the operators have sought to justify fare increases based on rising fuel prices, the Public Transport Council (PTC) will adjust fares only according to this prescribed formula.

Can PTC sue the opeators for giving false reason to justify fare hike? If not, there is a plot going among PTC to help the operator to make fare hike sound reasonable even though the operator did not qualify for it. This is very confusing and seems all out to con the council and peasants. An obvious deliberate criminal act committed by the operator. They must be charged!

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
raymond_limnew-1ca3ef7cff.jpg

"You not happy ah? Vote me out la!! Oh you can't because I got walk over" hehehe..