• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
40190_149674681715790_2741543_n.jpg
[h=5]The Workers' Party[/h]12 hrs ·

Urging MOE to commission a study on the tuition culture here, [URL="https://www.facebook.com/PNGENGHUAT/"]PNG ENG HUAT
stressed that education is not all about classrooms and examinations - it's a never ending journey.

Read his full speech here: http://www.wp.sg/debate-on-presidents-address-png-eng-huat/

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/workersparty/?fref=nf"]The Workers' Party[/h]
Citing examples from the UK and Hong Kong, Pritam Singh proposed setting up Select Committees to support Parliamentary work, starting with a SkillsFuture Select Committee of Parliament.

"As productivity and the acquisition of new skills are closely linked, a SkillsFuture Select Committee of Parliament comprising MPs from all parties would be in a good position to pursue, and consider improvements and innovations to the Government’s strategies."

Debate on President’s Address – Pritam Singh | The Workers' Party
Empowering our Future through Parliament Thank you Madam Speaker. Much of the attention surrounding the President’s speech at the opening of parliament…
www.wp.sg

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
22590_1605467913004727_387579139611715066_n.jpg
[h=5]States Times Review
[/h]32 mins ·

"I have seen how the PAP works. And of course the rejection is because we don't allow political parties to use common areas. You use the PA - the People's Association, you use grassroots advisers - come on, let's be honest about that.

...We understand the political reality. We understand that the struggle for functional democracy by a loyal opposition must be fought from within the existing system, under the law legislated by Parliament, even though we disagree with them."

says Workers' Party Low Thia Kiang, who lamented about the state of Singapore politics in Parliament today (Jan 29). The Parliament passed an amended motion to fill the vacanted Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) position, which was declined by Opposition candidate Lee Lilian who believes that the NCMP scheme is undemocratic. The NCMP allows the "best loser" to be elected in Parliament despite having lost in the election.

NTUC Chief and Minister-without-portfolio Chan Chun Sing filed the amendment to the motion, and took the opportunity to label it a "political manoeuvre" by the Opposition to take full advantage of the NCMP seat.

The Workers' Party abstained from voting in the motion but to negligent impact as the number of PAP MP seats is 83/89. Future votes on motion will also be single-handedly decided by the ruling party PAP, as PAP MPs are not allowed to vote against their own party.

In GE2015, Singaporeans voted in yet again another single-party rule and place their future in the hands of the ruling party PAP under Lee Hsien Loong.

[URL="http://statestimesreview.com/2016/01/29/low-thia-kiang-pap-abuses-the-use-of-pa-and-their-grassroots/"]http://statestimesreview.com/…/low-thia-kiang-pap-abuses-t…/

Low Thia Kiang: PAP abuses the use of PA and their grassroots
“I have seen how the PAP works. And of course the rejection is because we don’t allow political parties to use common areas. You use the PA – the People’s…
statestimesreview.com|By admin

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/workersparty/?fref=nf"]The Workers' Party
[/h]Sylvia Lim, on why the Workers' Party moved the motion to fill the NCMP seat vacated by Lee Li Lian 李丽连, despite opposing the NCMP scheme.

"Madam, the NCMP scheme was put in place by the governing party and the Workers’ Party cannot change it. We are moving this motion today because the Constitution provides for it. We also recognize that the Workers’ Party can make a contribution to the nation this way."

Motion on NCMP Seat – Speech by Sylvia Lim | The Workers' Party
I rise in support of the motion. I was a Non-Constituency Member from 2006 to 2011, and wish to share my perspective on this motion which will determine if…
www.wp.sg

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

[h=1]Motion on NCMP Seat – Closing Speech by Low Thia Khiang[/h]Madam Speaker,

The Workers’ Party remains in principle opposed to the NCMP scheme.

Essentially, Parliament is representative of the People. MPs secure the mandate from the People to make decisions on their behalf in Parliament. Thus, “representation” is the foundation of Parliament. Any politicians who aspire to enter Parliament must seek and obtain the mandate from the People to represent them, so as to seek and effect positive change for the People.

Therefore, the NCMP scheme is a distraction from the fundamental meaning of Parliament. The NCMP scheme has the potential to anaesthetize opposition politicians from the consciousness that political conviction is what brings him or her into politics. Opposition politicians may delude themselves that they are checking the government, when in fact they are merely participating in a discussion forum, with no real power to effect change.

The NCMP scheme can also inadvertently attract candidates with a different motive and intent to participate in election, basically to seek personal fame and glory. If such political culture becomes a predominant phenomenon, we will have Bad Politics.

What is more worrying is, should the ruling party fail one day, what we have left to form an alternative government may be such politicians who have gained exposure and fame through NCMP route.

On the other hand, we also recognise that Parliament is also a forum to discuss issues affecting the life of Singaporeans and the future of our nation. We recognize that having one more NCMP will contribute to the debate and possibly to better policy outcomes. Hence, it is also meaningful for well-intended individuals who aspire to represent the will of the people to be NCMPs to contribute to the process.

Madam Speaker, I beg to move.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/Leon-Perera-515366291954885/?fref=nf"]Leon Perera[/h]
What do you do after a day when very powerful people have devoted precious time and energy to to score petty, partisan political points against you and your party to further their electoral interests? Well, you pick yourself up and keep walking. Today we held a dialogue session at Simei Green condominum in East Coast GRC. Here we are with two of the attendees. It was a wonderful ocassion to learn and share. We hope to hold more condominium dialogues. I would be surprised if any condominiums agreed to host dialogues with PAP MPs but not WP NCMPs, as NCMPs are now said to be fully equal MPs.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=1]NCMP scheme itself is a political maneuvering[/h] By onlinecitizen on January 30, 2016

By Richard Wan

In yesterday’s (29 Jan) Parliamentary debate, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Chan Chun Sing accused Workers’ Party (WP) of political maneuvering when WP proposed to transfer the vacant Non-constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seat from Ms Lee Li Lian to Dr Daniel Goh.

Dr Goh, an NUS sociologist, was a WP candidate contesting in East Coast GRC.

Mr Chan told Parliament, “We want to see the third NCMP seat filled. What troubles us is the (WP’s) maneuvering behind it.”

He questioned the WP’s motivations in supporting the decision of Ms Lee, its losing candidate for Punggol East, to reject the NCMP seat.

He also criticised Ms Lee’s comments made last year when she said her seat should go to a colleague as “there are better people in the party that we should showcase”.

“Let us not turn the NCMP scheme from one of service to the nation into a revolving door for partisan political talent displays,” he said.

Genesis of NCMP Scheme

Actually, it can also be said that the NCMP Scheme approved by the PAP-dominated Parliament in 1984 is, in fact, a political maneuvering itself by the PAP.
An NCMP is a member of an opposition political party who is declared to have been an MP despite having lost in a general election by virtue of having been one of the best performing losers. NCMPs are, however, not allowed to vote on several types of bills such as bills to amend the Constitution and motions of no confidence in the Government.

The NCMP scheme was a significant modification of the traditional Westminster system of government. The genesis of the scheme can be traced back to 1981 when, for the first time since the independence of Singapore that an opposition member, Mr J B Jeyaretnam, was elected as an MP through a by-election in Anson. PAP was clearly surprised by the event as it did not expect to lose Anson. Mr Goh Chok Tong even blamed the people of Anson for PAP’s loss [Link]:

Mr Goh took the loss of the by-election as an indication that the people of Anson have a lower threshold of pain. “And if that is reflective of the people of Singapore, I worry for Singapore. But I don’t think so,” he added. He agreed that the inevitable continued rise in the cost of living will affect the people of Singapore, especially those in the lower income group but said: “On fundamental policies, we will push on. We will not be distracted by the loss of one seat.”… He said, “We did not expect to lose. We have lost by a very close margin but it is not the end of the world for the PAP.” “We have fought on principles and if the people of Anson have shown that they have a lower threshold of pain, so be it.”

Then PM Lee Kuan Yew was also surprised by the loss. Mr Lee said [Link], “

I had expected a shift of about 15 per cent. I never expected 35 per cent. We’ll have to find out why it happened and take the necessary measures.”

Then 2nd DPM S Rajaratnam thought that PAP lost because the younger voters of Anson wanted to see an opposition in Parliament.

Ploy to stop the emergence of strong opposition in Parliament
During the Parliamentary Second Reading of the NCMP bill in Jul 1984, just before it was introduced in the 1984 GE in Dec, then PM Lee Kuan Yew explained the need for the NCMP scheme.

First, he said that having a minimum number of opposition members in Parliament through the NCMP scheme would provide younger PAP MPs with sparring partners to “sharpen their debating skills”.

Secondly, the presence of opposition members in Parliament would educate the younger generation of voters about the role of a constitutional opposition and the limits of what it can do. He said this was especially important because the younger generation who had not lived and witnessed the conflicts within Parliament in the 1950s and 1960s “harbour[ed]myths about the role of an Opposition” and “had no idea how destructive an Opposition could be”.

Thirdly, the presence of non-PAP MPs in Parliament would act as a check and balance against any governmental impropriety. According to him, “some non-PAP MPs will ensure that every suspicion, every rumour of misconduct, will be reported to the non-PAP MPs”. The readiness of non-PAP members to bring forth any allegation of misfeasance, or corruption, or nepotism would “dispel suspicions of cover-ups of alleged wrongdoings”, he said.

But opposition MP J B Jeyaretnam didn’t think so. Mr Jeyaretnam noted that PAP introduced the idea of having NCMPs after he had won the Anson by-election. That victory saw the election of the first opposition MP in Parliament since 1965. Mr Jeyaretnam said that the PAP saw the possibility of the emergence of a strong elected opposition in Parliament.

So, PAP tried to stop the trend by providing for the appointment of NCMPs. The real object behind this move, he added, was to persuade the electorate to elect all PAP candidates into Parliament without the necessity to vote for opposition candidates.

NUS law professor and constitutional law expert, Prof Thio Li-ann also noted in her book, “The Post-colonial Constitutional Evolution of the Singapore Legislature”, that the NCMP scheme can inhibit the natural growth of an elected opposition voice in Parliament as the electorate’s motivation to vote in an opposition Member into Parliament is conceivably diluted by the assurance that a default mechanism exists for the “best losers”.

So, the question we have to ask ourselves is why the NCMP scheme was conceived only after the emergence of the first elected opposition MP in Parliament in 1981 and not at the beginning when Singapore was formed in 1965?

A political maneuvering? What do you think?

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/Leon-Perera-515366291954885/?fref=nf"]Leon Perera
[/h]
In his comments today, Minister Shanmugam presents a false choice between either rejecting an NCMP seat or accepting it with gratitude and praise. I decided to accept the NCMP position last year hoping that my contribution to the legislative process would outweigh the long-term risk to Singapore’s political evolution. We hope to show Singapore the value of a more balanced politics. Why? Because we passionately believe that political balance is critical for Singapore’s success in the 21st century.

Only time will tell if I can indeed make a positive contribution to Parliament. That will be for others to judge.

My situation is totally different from that of Li Lian, who was an elected MP before declining the NCMP seat. If I were an elected MP and then lost an election, I would have done the same thing.

There is a deeper issue here. I think Singaporeans expect more from their politicians than to devote so much time and energy to petty, partisan point-scoring. Even if there are disagreements, as is common in politics, they expect us to focus on solutions to national issues, proposals to make Singapore better.

In the Parliamentary session last week, I engaged with several government office holders in debate and Parliamentary questions on issues ranging from including vote secrecy education in the social studies curriculum to conducting a study to benchmark doctor and nurse workload against other developed countries. I did not agree with some of the replies. I felt more could be done to address the issues raised. I noted some of this on my Facebook page in a measured way, saying that I hoped to continue pursuing these issues. However, I did not decry those office holders as being ill-intentioned. I did not attack them personally or attack their party. That is immaterial to the issues at hand.

We can agree to disagree without calling each other names, running each other down and scoring partisan points endlessly. I understand that there is a Chinese saying when it comes to debates, 对事不对人 which roughly translates to focusing on the issues rather than being personal. I hope that this will be the spirit that will inform political debates. This is the kind of politics Singapore deserves.

[/URL]