• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheryl Denise Loh
shared Yudhishthra Nathan's album.

October 4 at 12:29am ·

And, some lovely pictures to share from fellow volunteer, Yudhish : ]

12115444_10153588187415912_4323525145164399798_n.jpg

12088176_10153588187370912_7224629446811408439_n.jpg

12119052_10153588187590912_4017900838204596675_n.jpg

12074554_10153588187675912_1624313024025784323_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth[/h]Public Figure

On Sunday 4 Oct, we had the chance to meet many volunteers who helped out during GE 2015.

Sorry that I may not have the chance to thank all of you personally. You are the Guest-of-Honour for the day as we will never make it so far without your strong support.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I look forward to working with all of you in the future!

‪#‎empoweryourfuture‬

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth

Public Figure

[h=5]符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth shared Shin Min Daily News's photo.[/h]3 hrs · Edited ·

During the Volunteers Appreciation function, Mr Low reiterated that we may be disappointed by election results but we will not lose hope.

All our volunteers and supporters are waiting for us to pick ourselves up and brace the journey ahead.

With the strong support of our volunteers, we will work hard and look forward to the future!

https://www.facebook.com/ShinMinDailyNewsXinMingRiBao/photos/a.358346434223942.79082.357787027613216/941554269236486/?type=3

Shin Min Daily News

Yesterday at 3:48pm ·

工人党陈家喜昨日在面簿上贴文,分享工人党秘书长刘程强在昨午为全体义工团队所举行的感谢午餐会上,阐述的“工人党精神”。
  刘程强说:“大家要记得我们可以失望,但不可以绝望,因为还有许多工人党的支持者在等着我们重新出发,更上一层楼!”

See Translation

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheryl Denise Loh

Public Figure

Tad tardy but as promised earlier, some photos I managed to gather so we could at least have some memories of the mid-autumn that went by : ]
12088524_875269695913265_4856024414069529746_n.jpg

12074612_875269712579930_583299094782804897_n.jpg

12105745_875269742579927_2026565769335836644_n.jpg

12118650_875269779246590_7468272349848811275_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leon Perera

Public Figure

Seeing the Aljunied candidates of the People's Action Party at the Istana a few days ago reminded me of a contrast. One of these candidates, Mr Shamsul Kamar, gave up his civil service job as a teacher to contest in the General Election. 11 days after losing the GE, he secured a job as a Deputy Director at the NTUC. I am happy for him. Another candidate who quit his civil service job to stand in the election is Mohamed Fairoz Shariff, my Workers' Party team-mate from East Coast GRC. Fairoz resigned from the NLB to contest the election. He is currently unemployed. I hope it will not be long before he finds a position that befits his tremendous talent, energy and leadership ability. This is what I said about Fairoz in my last rally speech. "Kawan sepasukan saya, Mohamed Fairoz, adalah seorang yang saya amat hormati. Beliau telah meninggalkan jawatannya sebagai seorang penjawat awam untuk bertanding di pilihanraya ini. Saya harap pengorbanannya tidak sia-sia." (My team-mate, Mohamed Fairoz, is a man I deeply respect. He left his civil service job to stand in the election. I hope his sacrifice will not be in vain.)

Meet the WP’s Mohamed Fairoz Shariff, who gave up his job to contest in East Coast GRC |...
He's putting a lot on the line for a bid to serve the residents of East Coast GRC.
mothership.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leon Perera

Public Figure

Four days of volunteer and grassroots events since Friday...our Paya Lebar committee meeting on Friday,...new volunteer training on Saturday (for many new volunteers),...Mr Chen Show Mao's Meet-the-People session on Monday....and the biggest event of all...our Workers' Party GE volunteer appreciation event on Sunday! I am so incredibly proud of the East Coast and Fengshan volunteers (see below). You will see us below raising our glasses of tea for a rousing "Yam Sing." Do let me know if you'd like to join these outstanding, talented and inspirational people as we seek to serve residents in East Coast and Fengshan in the months and years ahead.

12096621_529910023833845_413227563245218894_n.jpg

11222282_529910063833841_2766297309229480948_n.jpg

11221946_529910557167125_6238258279046445478_n.jpg

12112307_529910753833772_6233800141624152797_n.jpg

12115700_529911630500351_5495695838140913398_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]The Workers' Party[/h]Political Party

The Workers’ Party extends its deepest condolences to the affected families and friends of the four patients who passed away and seeks clarifications from the Minister with regard to the standard protocol in releasing information on such outbreaks.

WP Queries Delay In Hep C Outbreak Announcement | The Workers' Party
The Workers’ Party extends its deepest condolences to the affected families and friends of the four patients who passed away since the outbreak of the Hepatitis C…
wp.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth[/h]Public Figure

We express our deepest condolences to the patients and their families affected by the Hep C outbreak.
Hope that the root cause can be found soon to prevent such incidences from happening again in the future.

http://www.wp.sg/wp-queries-delay-in-hep-c-outbreak-announ…/

The Workers’ Party extends its deepest condolences to the affected families and friends of the four patients who passed away since the outbreak of the Hepatitis C…
www.wp.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leon PereraPublic Figure

Here's our press statement today on the Hepatitis C outbreak. Firstly, we offered our condolences to the families of the bereaved. We then queried whether there are protocols in place for healthcare institutions to report such incidents to the MOH and for the MOH to alert the public within a certain span of time. If such protocols aren't in place already, they should be, to ensure that the public is made aware in a timely manner. Your comments or questions on this issue are most welcome.

wp.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
600954_493474907386955_1591440571_n.jpg

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠) shared KooBits's photo.[/h]15 hrs · Edited ·

It's Children's Day today. I was just told of a heartbreaking story by the founder of one of the education start-ups which I have been mentoring. One and a half months ago, the founder received a call from a school to visit a child in a hospital who was dying of Leukemia, at the request of her parents. Puzzled, he went. The child had been battled the illness for 6 months. Despite her great pains, she was on the portal doing her P6 Maths daily and had once achieved the top score in the whole of Singapore amongst over 8,000 students who had competed in a challenge series. She had wanted to meet the inventor of the portal which she was using every day.
I do not know Cherrii personally, but I had watched a video put up by the family after her passing away. She was a girl who loved life and was a brave fighter. She loved learning and completed her final Maths challenge just 7 hours before she passed away.
Life is sometimes not fair. We do not have the answers to everything. Her spirit to fight her illness and to keep on learning every day till her last day is something that can inspire us to love life, and to live it to the fullest.
Rest in peace.

KooBitsSeptember 19 at 9:17pm ·
Cherrii Lim, R.I.P. We Will Miss You!
"Sad to inform you that Cherrii had pass on yesterday morning. On Thursday nite 9.15pm, even how unwell, she want to complete her KooBits. Thank u KooBits for making her life so fulfilling..." from Cherrii's parents
We'd like to thank all KooBits members who gave support to Cherrii at the last stage of her life. You made a difference in her life. We are so proud of you for coming out and show support. Thank you very much!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Happy Children's Day!
Children's Day was first proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1954. It was established to encourage all countries to institute a day to promote mutual exchange and understanding among children and to initiate action to benefit and promote the welfare of the world's children.
It is celebrate on different days of the year in different countries. Since 2011, it has been celebrated on the first Friday of every Oct in Singapore. Have fun, kids!
Picture by 360 Education

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

A interview I did some time ago with Wanbao about my GE2015 experience, which was published last week.
和余振忠(50岁,教育服务私人企业总裁)约好在东海岸路936号的咖啡店进行采访,因为住附近的他常去光顾。记者下午抵达时,他正在吃一碗云吞面。
两个多月前,他也在这里吃午餐,突然接到如切单选区并入马林百列集选区的消息,感叹美食瞬间变得难以下咽。
采访当天记者问他:今天午餐味道如何?他回说:“味道还可以,生活回归正常……”  
四年来在如切的努力耕耘,随着这个宣布而看不到结果。有人指他是选区重新划分的“最大输家”,余振忠对此表示无可奈何。
自上届大选仅以388票微差不敌行动党老将张有福之后,他坦言这些年来虽有隐约的顾虑,但心里始终希望如切能保留为单选区。
“最终没能有这场竞赛,并非我的选择。”
他指出,不仅是单选区消失,就连当初和他对阵的张有福也离开了。
正因如此,余振忠认为自己率队出战马林百列,有其必然性。自由选举本就该让政党有权选择自己的战场,他不觉得这对选择退让的团结党有欠公平。  
面对有前总理和未来核心领导人选的行动党团队,余振忠认为自己和队友已打了漂亮一仗,只叹今年形势对反对党着实不利。
他形容,开票当晚率先到如切和马林百列两个计票中心。在如切,他先视察上回得票率最差地区的情况,发现比之前更糟,再到另一边看别处情形,看似也不妙。
他接着前往马林百列计票中心,看了情况后意识到:大势已去。
当时余振忠脑海里闪过的第一个念头是:我们(的团队)到底做错了什么?
他抱着这样的疑问发简讯给同僚,一问之下,才发现他们那边同样形势严峻。  
他坦言,在竞选期间摸不透中间选民的心思,虽能感觉他们乐见反对党派出有素质的候选人,却又很难掌握影响他们投票的因素。
“我唯一能强烈感受到的是,和2011年相比,人们似乎没那么生气了。”
有选民告诉他,到了投票站仍不知如何抉择,最终考虑大局把票投给执政党。
他说,过后也有做出同样选择的人,在看到行动党大获全胜后表示后悔。
如今余振忠已卸下非选区议员职务,记者问他今后有何打算?
他毫不犹豫说,当然会继续留在工人党,但更愿退居幕后,协助培养新血。
同时,他也希望重振之前没能大力发展的事业。“要带着认清现实的心态从政,时间到了,就要大方退场。如果有更好的人选出现,对党而言是好事。”
与新加坡同一年诞生的他,希望向关心岛国未来的同胞强调:“我的孩子也是新加坡人,我同样希望他们在平静、繁荣和稳定的环境中长大,因此反对党绝不是要搞垮国家。”

See Translation

大特写:大选4战士 收拾心情往前走
胜败乃兵家常事,但要坦然面对失败,重新出发,却是知易行难。
wanbao.com.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"She skipped many classes and failed several modules. Nafa threatened to expel her; the Ministry of Education (MOE) wanted to withdraw its scholarship.
It took a lot of pleading before she was given a second chance."
Glad that the organisations gave her a second chance and even more glad that she took that chance and made it work. A good real-life story of resilience.

At 17, she found herself with a broken home and nowhere to stay
Six years ago in September, Rohaishah Hamid's life spiralled into a vortex of bleakness and unpredictability.. Read more at straitstimes.com.
straitstimes.com|By WONG KIM HOH

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5][URL="https://www.facebook.com/yeejj.wp?fref=nf"]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)
[/h]
One of the readings for students in an Integrated Programme school, sent to my son by his former primary school classmate who will be discussing this topic in class.
Seems like eons ago that I had delivered that speech, when it was actually just last year after the 'mid-term' parliament break. Yes, facilitating social mobility through education is something that we need to consciously enable and strengthen.
The full speech is here: https://yeejj.wordpress.com/…/education-and-social-mobility/

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"First, they have a poor knowledge of Singapore's history. Second, only a few are knowledgeable about, or interested in, current and foreign affairs. Third, they are too risk-averse. Finally, they lack imagination and creativity.

PSC members are often dismayed and saddened when candidates reveal their ignorance on basic historical facts about Singapore. For instance, they do not know who S. Rajaratnam is, and they only knew who Goh Keng Swee was when he died. The exhibitions on our founding fathers and a rather belated attempt to revise the way history is taught in our schools will go some way to fill the gaps. But it is a sign of the times that even trying to teach our young basic historical facts is being challenged and contested, and the outcome will no doubt be controversial. While history is often written by winners and victors, questions have been raised on how much should be taught about those who lost.

The textbook writers in the Ministry of Education will have to grapple with how much our history syllabus should teach about people like Lim Chin Siong and what their motives were - to fight against the British colonialists or to establish a communist republic, or both?

Despite the fact that our students nowadays travel quite frequently, and much more than students in the past, many lack knowledge about, or interest in, current and foreign affairs. This apathy will not breed active citizens. Perhaps the Internet has produced a generation of young people more interested in bite-size news than deeper analysis found in books and magazines? And if they know about current events, it is often about global rather than regional affairs. Those who are better off know London and Sydney well, but have never visited Yangon or Phnom Penh."

- Eddie Teo, Chairman of PSC on the flaws he sees in 18-year olds after interviewing countless of them for scholarships.

While we do have 'political education' in schools, how deep do we go into discussing issues behind the facts they are required to remember? How much do we present on views of key players in Singapore's history beyond the views of the winners? How much do we understand of our neighbouring countries? How often do we get students engaged on a debate on issues with no clear cut right or wrong answers? How seriously are imagination and creativity infused into the curriculum?
I believe these are useful questions to ask as we continue to review our education system.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]October 12 at 3:01pm ·

She also takes heart from the fact that the 70 people who turned up at the SG100 conference all seemed eager to be "active participants" in the discussion on the country's future. "I still believe that in any society, any political system, there’s a lot of value in involving as many people in the process as possible, being more inclusive, taking views and ideas from a wide and broad spectrum of people," says He.

She adds, "The fact that they turned up for the conference means we have one thing in common: we’re concerned about the future of our country. So I think that in itself is very positive. It’s an idea that we should keep working towards, and that we should really leverage."

Business as usual for Ru and indeed for many of us.

Post-GE2015: Business as usual for WP's He Ting Ru
Singapore's 2015 General Election is done and dusted, and the ruling People's Action Party has returned to power on the back of a resounding victory. In this series of post-election interviews, Yahoo Singapore checks up on some of the…
sg.news.yahoo.com

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]October 11 at 10:23pm ·

I read to my great surprise this feature by The Straits Times today, “Workers’ Party trying to move forward”.
The report stated,

“It is also, perhaps, trying to send a signal about the importance of party discipline, insiders say.

They point to how its Marine Parade team was also made up of highly-qualified candidates – including crowd favourite, legal counsel He Ting Ru, 32 – none of whom were brought into the CEC. The team was apparently plagued by simmering discord among members, which displeased party leaders, who have always prized tight discipline and frowned upon power play.”

As leader of the WP team for Marine Parade GRC for GE2015 (or Team Marine Blue as we call ourselves), I am shocked by what was reported of “simmering discord” and “displeased party leaders”.

During my first rally speech on 2 Sep 2015, I had introduced Team Marine Blue proudly.

Allow me to put on record that I have become even prouder of the team since delivering that speech. Marine Parade GRC was never going to be an easy contest. We were thrust into that battle because a small but powerful Electoral Boundaries Review Committee.

We had just 6 weeks to campaign in one of the biggest GRCs that is a stronghold of the PAP. The team had signed up for the contest knowing very well of the challenges and of our chances. Yet, they pressed on diligently to visit almost all of the public houses and a good number of private houses. We had many volunteers to manage, many of whom were signed up only during the campaigning period. Keeping volunteers trained, organised and motivated in such a short time was challenging. Yes, it was stressful for all of us and things could always have been done better in hindsight. I am proud of how each of them managed their group of volunteers as we divided up our roles and areas to cover as much ground as we could. Except for me, all were first time candidates. They also had to prepare for and deliver their own rally speeches, often a formidable task for new candidates.

None of us are aware of any “power play” or “discord” amongst ourselves. The team had cheered and encouraged each other along the way as we kept ourselves posted of each other’s campaign activities. In her interview with Yahoo Singapore last week, He Ting Ru shared about a group hug with the fellow candidates at one of the counting centre when it was evident that we had lost. She had recalled that “at that moment, I really felt that we were part of a team. That, to me, was something that was quite striking for the night itself, that we were in this together.”

We were also given encouraging words by the party leaders during the campaign and even after the results were known.

Today, a month after polling day, I am pleased to say that all candidates of Team Marine Blue remain committed to the party, with some taking on additional responsibilities within the party. My respect for each of them has increased throughout the campaigning and thereafter. They are all good team players, completely dedicated to the tasks they had been entrusted with, no matter how difficult the tasks were. Never mind the difficult circumstances and short time that were given to us to put the team and campaign together. I could not have asked for better fellow candidates.

I am deeply disappointed that the Straits Times had run the report on the Marine Parade Team without checking the facts with me or any of the candidates. How many ‘insiders’ did they speak to and what evidences do these ‘insiders’ have of ‘discord’ and ‘power play”. The article did, however, allow me this chance to publicly say “Thank You” once more to my wonderful Marine Blue team members and our many volunteers.

A response to Straits Times: My wonderful Team Marine Blue
I read to my great surprise this feature by The Straits Times today, "Workers' Party trying to move forward" ( The report stated, "It is also, perhaps, trying to send a…
yeejj.wordpress.com