• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Trusting God

Brenda was a young woman that wanted to learn to rock climb. Although she was terribly afraid, she went with a group and they faced this tremendous cliff of rock that was practically perpendicular. In spite of her fear, she put on the gear and took hold of the rope and started up the face of that rock.

Well, she got to a ledge where she could take a breather. As she was hanging on there, whoever was holding the rope up at the top of the cliff made a mistake and snapped the rope against Brenda's eye and knocked out her contact lens.

You know how tiny contact lenses are and how almost impossible to find. Well, here she is on a rock ledge, with who knows how many hundreds of feet behind and hundreds of feet above her. Of course, she looked and looked and looked, hoping that she would be able to find that contact lens. Here she was, very far from home. Her sight was now blurry.

She was very upset by the fact that she wouldn't be anywhere near a place where she could get a new contact lens.

And she prayed that the Lord would help her to find it. Well, her last hope was that perhaps when she got to the top of the cliff, one of the girls that was up there on the top might be able to find her contact lens in the corner of her eye. When she got to the top, a friend examined her eye. There was no contact lens to be found.

She sat down with the rest of the party, waiting for the rest of them to come up the face of the cliff. She looked out across range after range of mountains, thinking of that Bible verse that says, "The eyes of the Lord run to and from throughout the whole earth." She thought, "Lord, You can see all these mountains. You know every single stone and leaf that's on those mountains and You know exactly where my contact lens is."

Finally, the time came when it was time to go down. They walked down the trail to the bottom. Just as they got there, there was a new party of rock climbers coming along. As one of them started up the face of the cliff, she shouted out, "Hey, you guys! anybody lose a contact lens?" Well, that would be startling enough, wouldn't it? She had found the contact lens! But you know why she saw it? An ant was carrying that contact lens so that it was moving slowly across the face of the rock.

What does that tell you about the God of the universe? Is He in charge of the tiniest things? Do ants matter to Him? Of course they do. He made them. He designed them.

Brenda told me that her father is a cartoonist. When she told him this incredible story, he drew a picture of that ant lugging that contact lens with the words, "Lord, I don't know why You want me to carry this thing. I can't eat it and it's awfully heavy. But if this is what You want me to do, I'll carry it for You."

If God is in charge of the ants, don't you think He cares about you and me? I guess Solomon was right. One could learn a valuable lesson from that ant. TRUST IN GOD!

We could probably all say a little more often, "God, I don't know why you want me to carry this load. I see no good in it and it's awfully heavy. Still, if you want me to, I'll carry it for You."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Two Babes In A Manger

In 1994, two Americans answered an invitation from the Russian Department of Education to teach morals and ethics (based on Biblical principles) in the public schools. They were invited to teach at prisons, businesses, the fire and police departments and a large orphanage. About 100 boys and girls who had been abandoned, abused, and left in the care of a government-run program were in the orphanage. They relate the following story in their own words:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was nearing the holiday season, 1994, time for our orphans to hear, for the first time, the traditional story of Christmas. We told them about Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. Finding no room in the inn, the couple went to a stable, where the baby Jesus was born and placed in a manger. Throughout the story, the children and orphanage staff sat in amazement as they listened.

Some sat on the edges of their stools, trying to grasp every word. Completing the story, we gave the children three small pieces of cardboard to make a crude manger. Each child was given a small paper square, cut from yellow napkins I had brought with me. No colored paper was available in the city.

Following instructions, the children tore the paper and carefully laid strips in the manger for straw. Small squares of flannel, cut from a worn-out nightgown an American lady was throwing away as she left Russia, were used for the baby's blanket. A doll-like baby was cut from tan felt we had brought from the United States.

The orphans were busy assembling their manger as I walked among them to see if they needed any help. All went well until I got to one table where little Misha sat. He looked to be about 6 years old and had finished his project. As I looked at the little boy's manger, I was startled to see not one, but two babies in the manger.

Quickly, I called for the translator to ask the lad why there were two babies in the manger. Crossing his arms in front of him and looking at this completed manger scene, the child began to repeat the story very seriously.

For such a young boy, who had only heard the Christmas story once, he related the happenings accurately -- until he came to the part where Mary put the baby Jesus in the manger.

Then Misha started to ad-lib. He made up his own ending to the story as he said, "And when Maria laid the baby in the manger, Jesus looked at me and asked me if I had a place to stay. I told him I have no mamma and I have no papa, so I don't have any place to stay. Then Jesus told me I could stay with him. But I told him I couldn't, because I didn't have a gift to give him like everybody else did.

But I wanted to stay with Jesus so much, so I thought about what I had that maybe I could use for a gift. I thought maybe if I kept him warm, that would be a good gift. So I asked Jesus, 'If I keep you warm, will that be a good enough gift?' And Jesus told me, 'If you keep me warm, that will be the best gift anybody ever gave me.' So I got into the manger, and then Jesus looked at me and he told me I could stay with him -- for always."

As little Misha finished his story, his eyes brimmed full of tears that splashed down his little cheeks. Putting his hand over his face, his head dropped to the table and his shoulders shook as he sobbed and sobbed. The little orphan had found someone who would never abandon nor abuse him, someone who would stay with him FOR ALWAYS.

I've learned that it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Two Pebbles

Many years ago a London merchant owed a huge sum to a moneylender. The creditor, who was old and ugly, fancied the merchant's daughter and proposed a bargain. He told them he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty bag and have the girl pick out one of the pebbles.

If she chose the black pebble, she would become his wife and her father's debt would be canceled. If she chose the white pebble, she would stay with her father and the debt would still be canceled. If she refused to pick a pebble, her father would be thrown into jail and she would starve.

As the moneylender stooped to pick up the pebbles from the pebble-strewn path, the sharp-eyed girl noticed that he had picked up two black pebbles and put them into the bag. He then asked her to choose.

--------------
Ok, let's pause here to think of a solution to the girl's dilemma. Can you think of any way out? If she refuses to choose a pebble, the father will go to jail and the daughter will starve? Is that the "least bad" of her choices? If one follows human logic, "linear" logic, it seems there is no way out. But, "lateral" thinking might discover a way out. Well, maybe there's a solution to the girl's problem which will turn the old man's treachery back on him. What did she do?

--------------
The girl put her hand into the bag and drew out a pebble. Then, without looking at it, she fumbled and let it fall, where it was immediately lost among the thousands of other pebbles in the path.

"Oh, how clumsy of me!" she said. "But, never mind, if you look into the bag you will be able to tell which pebble I took by the color of the one that is left."

--------------
Simple, eh? Well, that's the way it is many times with our problems. God really has provided a simple solution, but we are stuck the rut of human logic. God promised that He "will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." The solution is always there! But, we often can't see it - or don't want to see it.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Waiting For The Party To Begin

We were with friends. We blew up balloons. We laughed. We hugged. We talked about our kids. We talked to each others kids. We visited and caught up on what was going on in our lives. We were with people we loved.

Then we each picked up a balloon and hid. The children were on the balcony overlooking the doorway. The adults hid in the far part of the room in the dark shadows. We were supposed to be quiet, but there was joking and whispering and shushing. We were all waiting for the moment our beloved and honored guest would enter the building and the party would begin.

After several false alarms about our honored guest approaching, my wife Donna leaned over and whispered in my ear, "You know, this would make a good HEARTLIGHT article. This is what our Christian life is like. We're all waiting around for Jesus to return and the party to begin."

Of course she was right. Our walk of faith, our Christian discipleship, our life in Christ's Church is like a surprise party before the honored guest arrives. We're with people we love and care about immensely. We can't wait for the honored guest to arrive and for the party to begin. That doesn't mean, however, that we're going to waste the time before our honored guest arrives.

It doesn't mean that we'll not enjoy ourselves and each other in the meantime. But nothing we do before the party begins compares with the party itself. That's part of what makes the waiting fun and worth the wait. We know that no matter how good it is now, it's only going to get better. No matter how uncomfortable we are in the dark waiting, when the honored guest arrives, we'll throw on the lights, pass out the cake, and have a party. The waiting will be over.

One of the great hallmarks of the early Church was its expectation that Jesus could return at any moment. Let's not lose that expectation. When we quit expecting Jesus, we soon forget about the party. The wait we get stuck in becomes more important than the arrival of our Lord. The people we find ourselves in the room with get boring and irritating. The dark shadows surrounding us become more ominous and tiresome. Instead of looking forward to the Savior and his party, we find ourselves "having to go to church."

We're only in waiting. The Savior hasn't arrived. The party hasn't started. The best is yet to be. We're only waiting for the party to begin.

"They're here!" someone excitedly whispers, "I can see them coming down the walk."

The door opens and we all yell, "SURPRISE!" Balloons fly, the lights come on, the cake is cut, and the ice creamed is served. Our wait is over. It's time for the party to begin.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Walking Through Impossibilities

Read Joshua 3:7-17

"When the soles of the feet of the priests who bear the ark of the LORD . . . rest in the waters of the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan flowing from above shall be cut off." -Joshua 3:13

ANTICIPATION mingled with uncertainty in the hearts of the Israelites. Their feet would finally touch the long-awaited promised land. But in their path lay the Jordan River, swollen by seasonal rains. Like a writhing, angry snake, the river threatened to swallow anyone who dared to pass. Crossing would be hazardous if not impossible. Yet God's instructions were clear, and the promise was certain.

Sometimes we find ourselves in a similar predicament. Our "promised land" may lie on the other side of an imposing circumstance, and the Lord's instructions to us make as little sense as Joshua's instructions must have to him.

But God expects the same of us today as of the Israelites in Joshua's day. We are to move forward with the promise of God's word in our mind and the power of God's presence in our heart. As we trust God to do what our human effort cannot, God overcomes the impossibilities. Just as God stopped the waters of the Jordan for the Israelites, so God can make it possible for us to walk victoriously through our impossibilities.

God overcomes the impossibilities of life. Do you know why? Because He can!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Use Your Sword

Short Story: Use Your Sword“What’s going on here?”

It was a good question to ask, considering the scene stretched out across the valley. Two armies were fighting an intense battle, that was clear. What wasn’t clear, though, was why many soldiers were using wooden sticks, pots and pans, and other odd makeshift weapons to fight. This use of weapons seemed especially odd considering each soldier had been issued a powerful sword.

Verdad decided to get to the bottom of the issue and ask one of the soldiers what was going on. “Why are you fighting with that stick?”

The soldier stopped and thought. “I’m used to fighting with sticks,” he replied. “It’s how I was brought up.”

“But weren’t you given a sword when you joined the army?”

The soldier nodded. “Yes, but I’m so used to this other sword, I suppose I reach for it out of habit.”

“But soldier, you want to win the war, right?”

The soldier nodded. “Of course.”

“Did it occur to you that right now, you’re fighting with the same makeshift, powerless weapons the enemy uses rather than with a powerful sword that’s capable of piercing through armor.”

“But the sword feels so heavy…”

Verdad nodded. “I know. It takes training. But don’t give up! Pick it up and build up your muscles. Learn how to wield it. You’ll never regret doing so.”

“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds:wink: Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 (KJV)

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 (KJV)

“And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:” Ephesians 6:17 (KJV)

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What About Me?

"What about me" are three little words
That are too often used by man.
But God never meant these words misused.
Not ever since time began.

You can tell by the way a man uses these words,
He's trying to get you to see
That his problems are greater! Just listen to him,
For his next words are, "What about me?"

Let us look at the power in these words
When you use them only for you.
The moment you speak, all you see is yourself
And not what you say or do.

We're not always right, but we're not always wrong,
Many things would be better if we
Would just listen to the words that we've said,
And leave out the "What about me?"

It's not easy to undo the damage we've done
When we walk down this path, you see;
For the other person has a side just as real--
Does he say, "What about me?"

I believe the next time, if we'd look and THEN leap
We'd see where our next step should be,
We'd be much more careful waht we say or do
And not whine, "But what about me?"

I'm trying real hard not to use these words
Just to get someone to agree;
Or draw attention to my problems in life
By always saying, "What about me?"

Before Jesus ascended to Heaven, He said,
"I came that all men may go free."
From the manger to the cross, not once did He say
"Heavenly Father, What About Me

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When I Say "I Am A Christian"

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I am saved"
I'm whispering "I get lost!"
"That is why I chose this way."

I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need someone to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
and pray for strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
and cannot ever pay the debt.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
my flaws are too visible
but God believes I'm worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartaches
which is why I seek His name.

I do not wish to judge.
I have no authority.
I only know I'm loved

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When Men Forget God

"Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith." * Paul the Apostle (1 Timothy 1:18-19, NIV)

At the time Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize he was asked the question, "What made it possible for the Russian Revolution to take place and for Communism to rise to power?"

Solzhenitsyn's reply was simple and direct: "Men forgot God."

What tragedies occur when nations forget God. History is replete with such examples. And what tragedies can befall individuals and their families when they, too, forget God.

I have seen men and women who have grown up in the church, profess to be Christians and been active in church work get caught up in the secular world system with its thirst for material gain and seek to climb the ladder of success—and little by little drift away from the church, forsake their Christian heritage, and gradually forget God.

Twenty years later, some have made shipwreck of their lives. Committing our lives to God won't deliver us from the problems of life, but faith in his Son, Jesus Christ, gives us an anchor to hold on to when the storms of life surround us and the tough times threaten to overwhelm us.

Sometimes life can be heartbreaking. We ask why but cannot find an answer. We search for a light to see us through the night but are overcome by the darkness. But when we have a solid faith in Jesus, as the gospel song says, "When answers aren't enough, he is there!" And this may be all we need to know to keep us from forgetting God and making shipwreck of our lives.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me never to forget your goodness to me and your everlasting love and grant that, no matter how dark the night, I will never turn from you. And graciously grant that our nation will turn to and never forget you. In Jesus' name."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When Ty Cobb Was 70

When Ty Cobb was 70, a reporter asked him, "What do you think you'd hit if you were playing these days?"

Cobb, who was a life-time .367 hitter, said, "About .290, maybe .300."

The reporter said, "That's because of the travel, the night games, the artificial turf, and all the new pitches like the slider, right?"

"No," said Cobb, "it's because I'm 70."

Whether we are looking forward to it or not, we're all getting older.

Truth is, old age frightens most of us. I think Jonathan Swift was right when he said, "Every man desires to live long, but no man wants to be old."

Old age should be something looked upon with honor and respect. The Jews were commanded, "You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man..." (Lev. 19:32).

But we live in a society where youth is glorified, so age is something you cover up or deny. The talents and skills of the elderly, acquired over a lifetime, are often ignored. Perhaps, a sense of not feeling of value to others leads to questions of value in the sight of God.

Even David expressed his fear when he prayed to God, "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails." (Psa. 71:9).

Fortunately, we know that God will not forsake us then (or at any other time!). Though we may not be able to do at 70 what we could do at 40, there is much to be offered (both to God and others) in the "golden years".

May God help us to appreciate and respect those who are our elders

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Whose Hands?

A basketball in my hands is worth about $20.
A basketball in Michael Jordan's hands is worth about $43million.
It depends whose hands it's in.

A baseball in my hands is worth about $8.
A baseball in Mark Mcquire's hands is worth $18 million.

A tennis racket is useless in my hands.
A tennis racket in Venus Williams' hands is a Wimbledon Championship

A rod in my hands will keep away a wild animal.
A rod in Moses' hands will part the mighty sea.

A sling shot in my hands is a kid's toy.
A sling shot in David's hand is a mighty weapon.

Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in my hands is a couple of fish sandwiches.
Two fish and 5 loaves of bread in God's hands will feed thousands

Nails in my hands might produce a birdhouse.
Nails in Jesus Christ's hands will produce salvation for the entire world.

As you see now it depends whose hands it's in.

So put your concerns, your worries, your fears, your hopes,
your dreams, your families and your relationships in God's
hands because. "It depends whose hands it's in".

"Where there is no vision, people perish" - Proverbs 29:18

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My Ex Got Married
========================
Last night my ex called me and informed me that he is getting
married.

Before I go any further, let me give you some background on us.
We were going around for three odd years but broke up some six
months ago because of some issues of trust and infidelity.
(I won’t write of whom, because I don’t want to get into a blame
game).

But in those six months there has hardly been a day when I did
not think of him or miss him.

So how did I react when I got the news?

Well, for starters, I said all the right things.

Like I was happy for him, I wanted the best for him and I won’t
blame him for things going wrong. And I did mean every word of
it. I just couldn’t tell him how much I had missed him and how
lonely I was.

Once the call was over, I went on a cleaning spree. I cleaned the
house, the kitchen, everything! I called two of my very good
friends and shared the news, shedding a couple of tears in the
process. I had a large bar of my favorite chocolate and tried
to curl up with a book.

It was then that it struck me that one of the most important
relationships of my life, my biggest investment (as I used to
refer to it earlier jokingly) was over, crushed, and devastated.
However much I try to escape from the fact, I had to admit it
and come to terms with it.

So I was waiting for the flood of tears to erupt.
But it just didn’t happen.

Surprisingly there was no rancor or bitterness in my heart.
All I felt was empty and lost inside. Considering the fact that
I am a very emotional person and so much in love with him until
recently, this new found resilience in strength of mind struck me
as something extra-ordinary and above normal.

I was so full of His love and grace that even when everything
else around me shattered, I was still smiling and happy.

My faith and love of God had given me the courage to accept
anything as His Will. Not just accept it, but accept it with
joy because now I had the belief that He has a greater plan for
all of us.

He wants the best for me and even if I have no one else in my
life, I have Him and that makes up for it all. I don’t need a
miracle to renew my faith. I don’t need another handsome,
dashing, wonderful guy to love me or a wonderful job to believe
in Him.

The greatest miracle is my spiritual growth, the transformation
of a weak, emotional and possessive woman to someone who has the
faith to let go and be happy in her love for God. This is the
ultimate joy and I can live and revel in it forever.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why Me Lord?

The Lord is a God who never fails, but so many a times I sit and ask the Lord why me. And do you want to know why, because when I look around in the world today so many young persons are not serving Christ. They are having a nice life, but me I am trying to worship God who reigns forever and mine life does not seems to be enjoyable.

Sometimes I sit and ask myself why can't I stop serving the lord and go to the worldly pleasures, but then I realize how much suffering he went through just to save a sinner like me I just have t give him all honor and glory.

Sometimes life-road seems so tough and rough , it seems like I cannot go on forever I ask myself WHY ME LORD. But I come to a place where I stop asking the lord that question because he has done so much for me I cannot even stop speaking, I just have to ask the lord WHY NOT ME.

And as I grow more in faith I come to realize those young persons are not enjoying life they are pretending to enjoy life the only real and I mean real enjoyable life you can get is found in the lord Jesus. No matter what people may say there is no regret in serving the Lord as your personal SAVIOR and FRIEND.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Workplace Prayer

Lord Jesus, as I enter this workplace I bring your presence with me, I speak Your peace, Your grace, and Your perfect order into the atmosphere of this office.

I acknowledge Your Lordship over all that will be spoken, thought, decided, and accomplished within these walls.

Lord Jesus, I thank You for the gifts You have deposited in me. I do not take them lightly, but commit to using them responsibly and well.

Give me a fresh supply of truth and beauty; on which to draw as I do my job.

Anoint my creativity, my ideas, my energy so that even my smallest task may bring you honor.

Lord, when I'm confused, guide me, when I'm weary, energize me.

Lord, when I'm burned out, infuse me with the light of Your Holy Spirit.

May the work I do and the way I do it, bring hope, life, and courage to all that I come in contact with today.

And Oh Lord, even in this day's most stressful moments, may I rest in You.

In the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I pray.

Amen

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WWJD?

Lord, throughout this day,
As I try to follow You,
Let this be my rule to live by:
What Would Jesus Do?

When a friend or loved one
Asks me for a moment or two,
May I think of one thing only:
What Would Jesus Do?

In all my dealings, help me
To be honest, fair and true,
To measure each decision by:
What Would Jesus Do?

When I'm feeling troubled
And I turn in prayer to You,
Give me wisdom to decide:
What Would Jesus Do?

And let me promise each new day
To live my whole life through,
In love and peace, remembering:
What Would Jesus Do?

Then when the day is ended,
May I resolve anew
To guide tomorrow by the motto:
What Would Jesus Do?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes, Lord

Yes, Lord, I hear You.
Thanks for speaking to me,
Telling me how much
You love me
By dying on Calvary.

Yes, Lord, I hear You.
Your Word is pure and true.
And my way is so much easier
If only I'll listen to You.

Yes, Lord, I hear You.
Thanks for Your Presence divine.
You walk with me and talk with me,
Oh what joy and peace sublime.

Yes, Lord, I hear You.
You wake me early every day.
In the silence of the morning
You prepare me for the way.

Yes, Lord, I hear You,
I hear You loud and clear:
"Live for Me, I died for you,
And to you I will always be near."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Your Love

Jesus My Lord
Your love is all I need
I'll praise your name
And when I hunger you will feed

When I am with others
And when I am alone
When everyone is gone
I'll be forever holding on

You are my life
And I'll seek for you
You'll show me much clearer
Everything I thought I knew

Jesus my Lord
Light inside of me
I will praise your name
For your love has set me free

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Gift Of Love

"Can I see my baby?" the happy new mother asked.

When the bundle was nestled in her arms and she moved the fold of cloth to look upon his tiny face, she gasped. The doctor turned quickly and looked out the tall hospital window. The baby had been born without ears.

Time proved that the baby's hearing was perfect. It was only his appearance that was marred. When he rushed home from school one day and flung himself into his mother's arms, she sighed, knowing that his life was to be a succession of heartbreaks.

He blurted out the tragedy. "A boy, a big boy ... called me a freak."

He grew up, handsome for his misfortune. A favorite with his fellow students, he might have been class president, but for that. He developed a gift, a talent for literature and music. "But you might mingle with other young people," his mother reproved him, but felt a kindness in her heart.

The boy's father had a session with the family physician. Could nothing be done? "I believe I could graft on a pair of outer ears, if they could be procured," the doctor decided.

Whereupon the search began for a person who would make such a sacrifice for a young man. Two years went by.

Then, "You are going to the hospital, Son. Mother and I have someone who will donate the ears you need. But it's a secret," said the father.

The operation was a brilliant success, and a new person emerged. His talents blossomed into genius, and school and college became a series of triumphs. Later he married and entered the diplomatic service.

"But I must know!" He urged his father, "Who gave so much for me? I could never do enough for him."

"I do not believe you could," said the father, "but the agreement was that you are not to know ... not yet."

The years kept their profound secret, but the day did come ... one of the darkest days that a son must endure. He stood with his father over his mother's casket.

Slowly, tenderly, the father stretched forth a hand and raised the thick, reddish-brown hair to reveal that the mother had no outer ears.

"Mother said she was glad she never let her hair be cut," he whispered gently, "and nobody ever thought Mother less beautiful, did they?"

Real beauty lies not in the physical appearance, but in the heart. Real treasure lies not in what that can be seen, but what that cannot be seen. Real love lies not in what is done and known, but in what that is done but not known