• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Buy the milk

A young man had been to Wednesday night Bible Study. The Pastor had spoken about "listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice."

The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?" After service he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways. It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray,"God, if you still speak to people, speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey."

driving through town at nightAs he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply, so he started on toward home. But again, the thought came to him... buy a gallon of milk.

The young man thought about Samuel, and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli. "Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk." It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. So, he stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started toward home.

As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, "Turn down that street." This is crazy, he thought, and drove on past the intersection. Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God, I will".

He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark, like people were already in bed.

gallon of milkAgain, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street." The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat. "Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid."

Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk. Finally, he opened the door and said, "Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something but, if they don't answer right away, I am out of here."

He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out, "Who is it? What do you want?" Then the door opened before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep.

The man asked, "What is it?"

The young man thrust out the gallon of milk and said, "Here, I brought this to you," he said. The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway speaking loudly in Spanish. Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. man holding crying babyThe man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face. The man began speaking and half crying, "We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk." His wife in the kitchen yelled out,"I ask him to send an angel with some. Are you an Angel?"

The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put it in the man's hand. Then he turned and walked back toward his car and tears were streaming down his face. He knew then that God does still speak to people... and answer prayers.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let Me Tell You

Let me tell you what I would do if I were you!

Listen!

Listen!

Listen carefully!

Shut off all of the noise around you so that you can hear me!

Listen!

Here it comes, listen!

Now, follow what was spoken to you.

Let me explain the flow of your conversation in the issue.

You start out with the title “Let me Tell You”. It catches the reader’s attention, because we all think you are about to share some secret that the reader is privy to and that you are not going to share it with anyone else.
Your first statement is a sentence that ends in an exclamation point [Let me tell you what I would do if I were you!]. In essence, you are raising your voice a bit to say I have given you enough advice over the years for you to act on, but now I am going to tell you for the final time what to do but it is based upon what would be done if I were in your situation.

On line two (2) you then tell the reader to listen (with an exclamation point). Listening implies the act of being quiet. The person must have been trying to talk above your voice, so you had to talk above them in order to get their attention to listen. You are speaking in the imperative voice.

On line three (3) the person still will not SHUT up so you had to follow up with another “Listen!”. This time the tone of your voice recedes but you still feel the need to use the imperative voice.

On line four (4) you say something profound. You utter slowly the words “L-i-s-t-e-n… c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y…!” All eyes are on you now. The person seeking your advice has calmed down and is all ears. They know what you are about to say could very well change their life so they have all five (5) senses tuned towards you.
On line five (5) you follow up by commanding that all outside noise be shut off so that you can be heard, but the listener is wondering if that is possible. If it is possible, they might hear something they have been running away from for far too long. The listener is on the edge of their seat as you watch their physical reaction.

They are finally primed for what is about to come out of your mouth when you say to them “Listen!”. The person is a little startled because they were expecting you to utter more. However, they then realize that the answer they were seeking is not coming from you at all. It’s coming from God.
You then give a final call that the advice they were expecting is on the precipice of what they need to hear. You then say, “Here it comes, listen!”
The person opens their eyes and a wellspring of direction is poured forth from God’s throne. In fact, it’s life changing. The crazy part is all the person had to do is to be still long enough to drink from the well that never runs dry.

You then skip a few lines in writing the advice in the form of a sonnet or prose to let the person know you have taken them as far as you can. They must now do the unthinkable. What is the unthinkable? The unthinkable is the courage to act upon what was said in their conversation with God. Why is that so unthinkable? It’s simple. Every true message from God WILL take some degree of faith that encompasses the unknown. It is at that point that we have to trust God that HIS call is the only “NEXT STEP” for your life.

Just when I was facing a choice that took some serious thought, this issue was posted. It’s not that I didn’t know what to do. It’s that I knew what God wanted me to do, and I was struggling with God’s request. I have an altar in my home, so I went there to pray and as Mahalia Jackson used to sing “The answer came, while I was knelling there in prayer”. Things are unfolding so fast for me in this past week since I had my listening session with God. Why are they unfolding so fast? Well, I walked away saying “Not my will, but thy will be done”. When you turn things over into the hand of God, He speaks and it’s done.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can anybody see God?

A small boy once approached his slightly older sister with a question about God.

"Susie, can anybody ever really see God?" he asked. Busy with other things, Susie curtly replied: "No, of course not, silly. God is so far up in heaven that nobody can see him."

Time passed, but his question still lingered, so he approached his mother: "Mom, can anybody ever really see God?" "No, not really," she gently said. "God is a spirit and he dwells in our hearts, but we can never really see him."

Somewhat satisfied but still wondering, the youngster went on his way. Not long afterwards, his saintly old grandfather took the little boy on a fishing trip. They were having a great time together -- it had been an ideal day. The sun was beginning to set with unusual splendor as the day ended.

The old man stopped fishing and turned his full attention to the exquisite beauty unfolding before him. On seeing the face of his grandfather reflecting such deep peace and contentment as he gazed into the magnificent ever-changing sunset, the little boy thought for a moment and finally spoke hesitatingly: "Granddad, I - I wasn't going to ask anybody else, but I wonder if you can tell me the answer to something I've been wondering about a long time. Can anybody, can anybody ever really see God?"

The old man did not even turn his head. A long moment slipped by before he finally answered. "Son," he quietly said. "It's getting so I can't see anything else."

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
-- Psalm 19:1-4

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Daddy’s empty chair

A man’s daughter had asked the local minister to come and pray with her father. When the minister arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows.

An empty chair sat beside his bed.

The minister assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit. “I guess you were expecting me," he said.

“No, who are you?” said the father.

The minister told him his name and then remarked, “I saw the empty chair and I figured you knew I was going to show up,”

“Oh yeah, the chair,” said the bedridden man. “Would you mind closing the door?”

Puzzled, the minister shut the door.

“I have never told anyone this, not even my daughter,” said the man. “But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At church I used to hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it went right over my head. I abandoned any attempt at prayer,” the old man continued, “until one day, four years ago, my best friend said to me, ‘Johnny, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Here is what I suggest...’”

‘Sit down in a chair; place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see Jesus on the chair. It’s not spooky, because He promised, ‘I will be with you always.’ Then just speak to Him in the same way you’re doing with me right now.’”

“So, I tried it and I’ve liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I’m careful though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she’d either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm.”

The minister was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old man to continue on the journey. Then he prayed with him, anointed him with oil, and returned to the church.

Two nights later the daughter called to tell the minister that her daddy had died that afternoon.

“Did he die in peace?” the minister asked.

“Yes. When I left the house about two o’clock, he called me over to his bedside, told me he loved me and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But, there was something strange about his death. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed. What do you make of that?”

The minister wiped a tear from his eye and said, “I wish we could all go like that.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.
Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.
Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.
Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.
Count your health instead of your wealth;
Count on God instead of yourself.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can I Dance?

"You can't dance!"

That's what my wife told me.

We were going to a party.
It was a lavish event hosted by a well-known lawyer.

"I wonder if they will have dancing?" she asked.
"I don't know," I replied.

They probably would have dancing.
My wife has never seen me dance.
I have never seen her dance.

She assumed that I couldn't dance.

Can I dance?

Of course.

I always knew that I could dance.
It was others who had the question,
especially after they saw me dance.

Did I dance like everyone else?
Well... no.

Was I a good dancer according to the standard of good dancing?
Well... maybe not.

There was always the one or two fellows who got "oohs and aahs"
as they danced. I got more of "look at that!"

I moved when I danced. Rapidly. All over the place.
I had energy. I didn't believe in mild standing in one place
with barely enough motion to shake flies off dancing.
I believed in moving.

If I was going to dance, I might as well give it all I have.

It's the way I live life. If I didn't, you wouldn't be reading
MountainWings now. I had to break from the crowd and move all
over the place to make MountainWings happen. I had to dance.
Some said, "look at that!"

Why do YOU dance?
Different people have different reasons.
When you honestly answer that question,
it will help you to see life clearer.

It may help you to dance
or at least realize that you could dance all along,
even when people said you couldn't.

A poster with this quote hung on my college room wall.
I always looked at it before I went to a dance.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is
because he hears the beat of a different drummer. Let him step
to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Can I dance?

You'd better believe it!

No matter what people say.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Grandmother Goes to The Crack House!!!

My grandmother lived until the age of 97.

She lived in a small Georgia town called Forsyth.

I spent my summers there as a boy.
They are memories that I shall forever treasure.

Grandmother's mind was still as sharp as any young person's even
at 97. I remember the following during a visit when she was 92.

Though she didn't move as fast as she used to, she didn't move
slow, either.

When my five-year-old (Nathaniel III, we call him EL) and I
arrived, she had a full meal prepared for us. EL asked for more
after he had cleaned his plate. I went back for seconds.

Grandmother was full of wisdom.

You don't get to be 92 and still spry by being stupid.

She got up and walked for 30 minutes each morning before the sun
came up. Grandmother was up and walking when most young folk
are still soundly snoozing.

You don't get to be 92 and still in good shape by being lazy.

Grandmother's house was immaculate.
Grandmother's car was immaculate.
Grandmother's clothes were immaculate.

And they were all paid for.

My grandparents sent their two daughters through college on
meager wages. Grandmother worked as a cook in the school system
and my grandfather worked in a cotton mill.

Neither had man's higher education.
I am not sure if either finished high school.
At least not man's high school.

You don't get to be 92 with nice stuff and all of it paid for by
being stupid.

Grandmother could teach the young college grads a thing or two
about life, management of meager resources, and living.
Grandmother has had to lend money to the college educated.

My great grandfather used to say,
"Get up and see God make the world."

When was the last time you watched the sun rise?

Grandmother saw God make a new day every day.

She received another award at her church. Grandmother had been a
faithful member there longer than I have been alive.

So, when grandmother said, "I've been going to the crack house,"
that shocked me.

It would seem that such a wise person wouldn't be going to the
crack house, but she was.

She wasn't just going to visit someone there, either.

MY GRANDMOTHER WAS DOING BUSINESS AT THE CRACK HOUSE!!!

Had life taken a turn that grandmother needed the deluded crutch
of drugs? People think drugs are a way of escape, but in
reality drugs are a trap, not an escape.

So what was my grandmother doing at the crack house?

She got up. Not as fast as she used to, but fast enough.

She went to the pantry, reached in, and brought out a clear,
overflowing bag.

It was full of shelled pecans.

"I got these from the pecan trees," grandmother said.
"These are shelled but I've got plenty more that are still in
the shell. I've got to take them to the crack house to get the
shells off."

The understanding of words and phrases changes over the years.
Knowledge, and its perceived truth, changes with new discoveries.
But wisdom remains wisdom, and stupid remains stupid.

You don't get to be 92 and still in good shape by being stupid.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore." Psalm 105:4

Story: Refusing Treatment

“But you’re not okay; you need to get treatment before it’s too late,” Andrew felt tears forming in his eyes. It pained him so to see people ignore their sickness!

“No!” Luke Howard practically screamed his answer. “I’m not sick. I don’t need help.”

“Wait--please! Let me show you your test results. You can see that something’s wrong…”

But Luke had already stormed away. He didn’t want to hear that he wasn’t okay.

If he hadn’t seen it with his own eyes, Andrew would have never believed the situation. The entire town was infected with a fatal disease. There was a cure--but, strangely, only a very few were willing to take it. Part of the disease itself blinded those infected with it to their need for help.

Some people let the disease run rampage in their lives. Boils grew untreated on their skins. Their fevers ran unchecked. But they didn’t care. There was always someone worse off they could point to and claim, “I’m better than him!” Their lives were just too filled with their own pursuits to worry about treatment.

Others tried hard to cover their symptoms so no one else would notice (and so they could convince themselves they’d be okay). They hid their boils under fancy clothes and makeup. They took fever reducers to reduce the fever. They convinced themselves and others they were healthy. Yet underneath their guise, they were just as sick as the sickest. It didn’t matter how well the disease was hidden--it was killing them none-the-less.

Still others admitted their sickness and attempted to save themselves from the disease. They exercised, ate special diets, and tried other proposed cures, but to no avail. All their efforts did nothing to arrest the disease's progress.

The only way to be saved from this particular disease was to take the cure offered by the Doctor. You would think people would be standing in line, eager to receive it. But they weren’t, because, in one way or another, they didn’t believe they really needed it.

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.” 1 Timothy 1:15

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6

“Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” Acts 4:12

“When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Mark 2:17

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thought: Running to Jesus

The best place in the world is to be at the point where we realize once again our helplessness and run to Jesus. May these words of the hymn writer be true for us today:

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Define what you have in mind

Have you ever heard the quote by Mark Twain "The world owes you nothing, it was here first?" A conversation I had today with one of my students got me thinking. Why does everyone think we're just entitled to success? The truth is...

You don't deserve anything.

Yet, you deserve to have it all.

Does that make sense? Two opposites, that at only the highest level of awareness - can you sit at both completely comfortable and content being in both realties. Because both are true. The world is unfortunately set up for your failure. All the odds are against you? But aren't there promises blatantly scribed in the worlds most ancient scriptures proclaiming we are and we become what we seek.

This isn't the Law of Attraction.

I'm not about the "woo woo" --- Really. I'm not!

Here's what I am saying. Today you have the option to become whatever you want. You have the option to design the life. And your current situation is the direct consequence by your design (or default) in the past.

And I'm talking about specifics.

My aunt and I were speaking yesterday about the power of prayer. Now, we may not have the same God (if you need one, I can introduce you to mine)... but I think we can both agree on the power of prayer.

A young man was telling a story in a book about how for months he prayed to God asking for a bicycle and a desk. Discouraged and in tears one night, this kid sought his God to question Him "Why are you forgetting me? I've been praying ever so diligently" God responded; "You've asked for nothing, I have no idea what bicycle you want, there are thousands of varieties...and you desk? How big? What color? Do you want a chair too?"

The boy stirred up his faith and his Design Cap and captured his dream bike and desk on paper. He wanted an American bike (was from Asia) and a desk made of Philippine mahogany. After some time in thought, he went back to sleep.

The best part of the story was a few months later he had the exact bike he wanted and the desk he longed for.

What do you want? Looking for a spouse? Have you clearly written down exactly what your ideal spouse looks like, sounds like, does for a living, their body type, race, occupation?

How about your dream business or clientele? I know for me, when I am designing my life - I don't ask for just "more customers" What kind of customers do you want? I want those that are absolutely in love with my product. That refer me their colleagues. Ones that will reorder religiously.

This works for everything!

Once things are clearly defined and you realize that as much as you are worth every bit to receive this (oh, and that's so important) now you have to set your sights on accepting it into your life.

There is nothing that will stomp on a dream or a vision or a plan than lack of faith and crossed arms. Open wide.

There is a common phrase we hear so often "Ask and you shall receive," but they sometimes leave out the next portion "Seek and you shall find."

The next step is to seek the information. Seek the prospects (business or romantic LOL!). To seek is to act. To act is to win.

Be a winner!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do you think i'll ever find God?

-- By Father John Powell

A TRUE STORY about an Atheist Theology Student Who Was Found by God

Some twelve years ago, I stood watching my university students file into the classroom for our first session in the Theology of Faith. That was the day I first saw Tommy. long blond-haired young manMy eyes and my mind both blinked. He was combing his long flaxen hair, which hung six inches below his shoulders.

It was the first time I had ever seen a boy with hair that long. I guess it was just coming into fashion then. I know in my mind that it isn’t what’s on your head but what’s in it that counts; but on that day I was unprepared and my emotions flipped.

I immediately filed Tommy under "S" for strange... very strange. Tommy turned out to be the "atheist in residence" in my Theology of Faith course. He constantly objected to, smirked at, or whined about the possibility of an unconditionally loving Father-God. We lived with each other in relative peace for one semester, although I admit he was for me at times a serious pain in the back pew.

When he came up at the end of the course to turn in his final exam, he asked in a slightly cynical tone: "Do you think I’ll ever find God?"

I decided instantly on a little shock therapy. "No!" I said very emphatically.

"Oh," he responded, "I thought that was the product you were pushing."

I let him get five steps from the classroom door and then called out: "Tommy! I don’t think you’ll ever find him, but I am absolutely certain that He will find you!" He shrugged a little and left my class and my life.

I felt slightly disappointed at the thought that he had missed my clever line: "He will find you!" At least I thought it was clever. Later I heard that Tommy had graduated and I was duly grateful.

Then a sad report, I heard that Tommy had terminal cancer. Before I could search him out, he came to see me. When he walked into my office, his body was very badly wasted, and the long hair had all fallen out as a result of chemotherapy. But his eyes were bright and his voice was firm, for the first time, I believe. "Tommy, I’ve thought about you so often. I hear you are sick!" I blurted out.

"Oh, yes, very sick. I have cancer in both lungs. It’s a matter of weeks."

"Can you talk about it, Tom?"

"Sure, what would you like to know?"

"What’s it like to be only twenty-four and dying?"

"Well, it could be worse."

"Like what?"

"Well, like being fifty and having no values or ideals, like being fifty and thinking that booze, seducing women, and making money are the real ‘biggies’ in life."

I began to look through my mental file cabinet under "S" where I had filed Tommy as strange. (It seems as though everybody I try to reject by classification God sends back into my life to educate me.)

"But what I really came to see you about," Tom said, " is something you said to me on the last day of class." (He remembered!) He continued, "I asked you if you thought I would ever find God and you said, ‘No!’ which surprised me. Then you said, ‘But he will find you.’ I thought about that a lot, even though my search for God was hardly intense at that time." (My "clever" line. He thought about that a lot!) "But when the doctors removed a lump from my groin and told me that it was malignant, then I got serious about locating God. And when the malignancy spread into my vital organs, I really began banging bloody fists against the bronze doors of heaven.

But God did not come out. In fact, nothing happened. Did you ever try anything for a long time with great effort and with no success? You get psychologically glutted, fed up with trying. And then you quit.

Well, one day I woke up, and instead of throwing a few more futile appeals over that high brick wall to a God who may be or may not be there, I just quit. I decided that I didn’t really care... about God, about an afterlife, or anything like that. I decided to spend what time I had left doing something more profitable. I thought about you and your class and I remembered something else you had said: ‘The essential sadness is to go through life without loving. But it would be almost equally sad to go through life and leave this world without ever telling those you loved that you had loved them.’ So I began with the hardest one: my Dad. He was reading the newspaper when I approached him.

"Dad"...

"Yes, what?" he asked without lowering the newspaper.

"Dad, I would like to talk with you."

"Well, talk."

"I mean... it’s really important."

The newspaper came down three slow inches. "What is it?"

"Dad, I love you. I just wanted you to know that." Tom smiled at me and said with obvious satisfaction, as though he felt a warm and secret joy flowing inside of him: a hug from dad"The newspaper fluttered to the floor. Then my father did two things I could never remember him ever doing before. He cried and he hugged me.

And we talked all night, even though he had to go to work the next morning. It felt so good to be close to my father, to see his tears, to feel his hug, to hear him say that he loved me. It was easier with my mother and little brother. They cried with me, too, and we hugged each other, and started saying real nice things to each other. We shared the things we had been keeping secret for so many years. I was only sorry about one thing: that I had waited so long. Here I was just beginning to open up to all the people I had actually been close to.

Then, one day I turned around and God was there. He didn’t come to me when I pleaded with him. I guess I was like an animal trainer holding out a hoop, ‘C’mon, jump through. C’mon, I’ll give you three days... three weeks.’ Apparently God does things in his own way and at his own hour. But the important thing is that he was there. He found me.

You were right. He found me even after I stopped looking for him."

"Tommy," I practically gasped, "I think you are saying something very important and much more universal than you realize. To me, at least, you are saying that the surest way to find God is not to make him a private possession, a problem solver, or an instant consolation in time of need, but rather by opening to love. You know, the Apostle John said that. He said, 'God is love, and anyone who lives in love is living with God and God is living in him.’ Tom, could I ask you a favor? You know, when I had you in class you were a real pain. But you can make it all up to me now. Would you come into my present Theology of Faith course and tell them what you have just told me? If I told them the same thing, it wouldn’t be half as effective as if you were to tell them."

"Oooh... I was ready for you, but I don’t know if I’m ready for your class."

"Tom, think about it. If and when you are ready, give me a call." In a few days Tommy called, said he was ready for the class, that he wanted to do that for God and for me. So we scheduled a date. However, he never made it.

He had another appointment, far more important than the one with me and my class. Of course, his life was not really ended by his death, only changed.

He made the great step from faith into vision. He found a life far more beautiful than the eye of man has ever seen or the ear of man has ever heard or the mind of man has ever imagined.

Before he died, we talked one last time. "I’m not going to make it to your class," he said.

a hug in heaven"I know, Tom."

"Will you tell them for me? Will you... tell the whole world for me?"

"I will, Tom. I’ll tell them. I’ll do my best."

So, to all of you who have been kind enough to hear this simple statement about love, thank you for listening. And to you, Tommy, somewhere in the sunlit, verdant hills of heaven: I told them, Tommy... as best I could.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't worry

Years ago, I was enthralled as I listened to a pastor who for several years had faithfully served the church. His executive responsibilities had taken him all over this country. As he concluded his message, he told of one of the most frightening, yet thought-provoking, experiences of his life.

He had been on a long flight from one place to another. The first warning of the approaching problems came when the sign on the airplane flashed on: Fasten your seat belts. Then, after a while, a calm voice said, "We shall not be serving the beverages at this time as we are expecting a little turbulence. Please be sure your seat belt is fastened."

As he looked around the aircraft, it became obvious that many of the passengers were becoming apprehensive. Later, the voice of the announcer said, "We are so sorry that we are unable to serve the meal at this time. The turbulence is still ahead of us."

Then the storm broke. The ominous cracks of thunder could be heard even above the roar of the engines. Lightening lit up the darkening skies, and within moments that great plane was like a cork tossed around on a celestial ocean. One moment the airplane was lifted on terrific currents of air; the next, it dropped as if it were about to crash.

The pastor confessed that he shared the discomfort and fear of those around him. He said, "As I looked around the plane, I could see that nearly all the passengers were upset and alarmed. Some were praying. The future seemed ominous and many were wondering if they would make it through the storm.

Then, I suddenly saw a little girl. Apparently the storm meant nothing to her. She had tucked her feet beneath her as she sat on her seat; she was reading a book and every thing within her small world was calm and orderly. Sometimes she closed her eyes, then she would read again; then she would straighten her legs, but worry and fear were not in her world. When the plane was being buffeted by the terrible storm when it lurched this way and that, as it rose and fell with frightening severity,when all the adults were scared half to death, that marvelous child was completely composed and unafraid." The minister could hardly believe his eyes.

It was not surprising therefore, that when the plane finally reached its destination and all the passengers were hurrying to disembark,our pastor lingered to speak to the girl whom he had watched for such a long time. Having commented about the storm and behavior of the plane, he asked why she had not been afraid.

The child replied, "'Cause my Daddy's the pilot, and he's taking me home."

There are many kinds of storms that buffet us:
• Physical,
• Mental,
• Financial,
• Domestic, and...
Many other storms can easily and quickly darken our skies and throw our plane into apparently uncontrollable movement. We have all known such times, and let us be honest and confess, it is much easier to be at rest when our feet are on the ground than when we are being tossed about a darkened sky.

Let us remember... Our Father is the Pilot. He is in control and taking us home... so Don't Worry.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dropped chalk

There was a professor of philosophy there who was a deeply committed atheist. His primary goal for one required class was to spend the entire semester attempting to prove that God couldn't exist.

His students were always afraid to argue with him because of his impeccable logic. For twenty years, he had taught this class and no one had ever had the courage to go against him. Sure, some had argued in class at times, but no one had ever really gone against him because of his reputation. At the end of every semester on the last day, he would say to his class of 300 students, "If there is anyone here who still believes in Jesus, stand up!"

In twenty years, no one had ever stood up. They knew what he was going to do next. He would say, "Because anyone who believes in God is a fool. If God existed, he could stop this piece of chalk from hitting the ground and breaking. Such a simple task to prove that He is God, and yet He can't do " it."

And every year, he would drop the chalk onto the tile floor of the classroom and it would shatter into a hundred pieces. All of the students would do nothing but stop and stare. Certainly, a number of Christians had slipped through, but for 20 years, they had been too afraid to stand up.

Well, a few years ago there was a freshman who happened to enroll. He was a Christian, and had heard the stories about his professor. He was required to take the class for his major, and he was afraid. But for three months that semester, he prayed every morning that he would have the courage to stand up no matter what the professor said, or what the class thought. Nothing they said could ever shatter his faith...he hoped.

Finally, the day came. The professor said, "If there is anyone here who still believes in God, stand up!" The professor and the class of 300 people looked at him, shocked, as he stood up at the back of the classroom. The professor shouted, "You FOOL!!! If God existed, he would keep this piece of chalk from breaking when it hit the ground!"

He proceeded to drop the chalk, but as he did, it slipped out of his fingers, off his shirt cuff, onto the pleat of his pants, down his leg, and off his shoe. As it hit the ground, it simply rolled away unbroken. The professor's jaw dropped as he stared at the chalk. He looked up at the young man, and then ran out of the lecture hall.

The young man who had stood, proceeded to walk to the front of the room and shared his faith in Jesus for the next half hour. 300 students stayed and listened as he told of God's love for them and of His power through Jesus.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Eternal salvation: by works or grace through faith?

-- By Dr. Stan Satterfield

Trust in the Lord - Proverbs 3:5,6

We are not always sure why the Lord convicts us to do certain things, but we hope this message will encourage you in your walk with Him. Many of us continue to be concerned that so many Protestants (Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, etc. ) and Catholics believe they are redeemed (forgiven of sins) and saved (going to heaven) because of their good works (keeping the Ten Commandments or God’s Law).

The Bible (God’s holy inspired love story given to us) says if we are guilty of even one sin (Rom. 3:23) then we are condemned to eternal separation from God. However, because of God’s grace (undeserved favor based on his love, not our good works) we have forgiveness of sins and the free gift of eternal life (John 3:16).

Our salvation is based on God’s saving grace (what Christ did for us on the cross) through our faith in what he did to save us from our sins. These Bible passages clearly show that we are saved to eternal life by the work of Christ.

Isaiah 53:4-6, 8, 10-12 “Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity (sin) of us all.

By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken.

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the Lord makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand. After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities (sins). Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.”

John 1:12 “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” ~ Receive Him as Savior.

John 5:39, 40 “You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”

John 8:24 “I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.”

John 17: 1-5 “After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: ‘Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began’.”

John 20:31 “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”

Acts 4:12 “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” ~ Assurance of Heaven.

Acts 16:31 “They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved – you and your household.” ~ Believe Jesus died for us.

Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” ~ Recognize our sinfulness. 

Galatians 4:4-6 “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, ‘Abba, Father’.”

Ephesians 2:8, 9 “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.”

Titus 3:3-7 At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived, and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.”

1 Peter 1:17-19 “Since you call on a Father who judges each man’s work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.”

1 John 4:9, 10 “This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live though him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”

1 John 5:13 “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.”

Please understand that your good works will bring rewards once you’re in heaven but will not get you to the gate of heaven (Gen 28:17). The Bible clearly says that we are not saved by religion, church membership, baptism, association or a knowledge of Christ (James 2:19 “Even the demons believe and shudder”).

Why do we think the Bible refers to the message of Christ as the gospel (means good news)? It is good news because Christ did for us what we couldn’t do for ourselves. He paid the penalty for our sins so that we don’t have to try to earn our salvation (of course only perfection could satisfy the requirements of a holy God and only the sacrifice of our perfect savior could substitute for us and meet this need).

Therefore, give thanks to our gracious heavenly Father and his holy Son for this amazing saving grace that cost Christ his life on the cross, but comes to us as a gift. Please note that we must individually accept (receive the free gift) Christ as our Savior (paid for our sins) and Lord (ruler of our lives). You will not be saved by church membership or by a relationship to someone you believe led a righteous life (a relative or friend who is a pastor, priest, deacon, nun, elder, etc.).

You receive Christ by personal invitation (Rev. 3:20) Christ says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door; I will come in to him (her) and fellowship with him (her).” We receive Christ by grace (undeserved favor of God based on his love alone) through faith (Eph. 2:8,9) “By grace you have been saved through faith; and not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works that no one should boast.”

If you’ve never accepted Christ into your heart, you can do it right now by faith through prayer (talk with God). What you say in prayer is not as important as what is in your heart.

Prayer of salvation example: "Dear Lord Christ, Thank you for dying on the cross to save me from my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life with you in heaven. I now receive you as my Lord and Savior. I turn away from my sins and choose to follow your path for my life that will bring glory and honor to you. Please take control of my life and make me the kind of person you desire me to be."

If you prayed this prayer, please share it with a strong believer and join a body (church) of Bible believing Christians that can pray for and encourage you in your new life as a servant of Christ.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1. If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.

2. If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it.

3. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning.

4. Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen.

5. He could live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart.

6. What about the Christmas gift He sent you in Bethlehem, not to mention that Friday at Calvary.

Face it, He's crazy about you.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Explain god

When given a third-grade homework assignment to "EXPLAIN GOD," this is what 8-year-old, Danny Dutton, of Chula Vista, CA, had to say.

By Danny Dutton

One of God's main jobs is making people. He makes them to replace the ones that die, so there will be enough people to take care of things on earth. He doesn't make grown-ups, just babies. I think because they are smaller and easier to make. That way He doesn't have to take up His valuable time teaching them to talk and walk. He can just leave that to mothers and fathers.

God's second most important job is listening to prayers. An awful lot of this goes on, since some people, like preachers and things, pray at times besides bedtime. God doesn't have time to listen to the radio or TV because of this.

God sees everything and hears everything and is everywhere, which keeps Him pretty busy. So you shouldn't go wasting His time by going over your Mom and Dad's head asking for something they said you couldn't have.

Atheists are people who don't believe in God. I don't think there are any in Chula Vista. At least there aren't any who come to our church.

Jesus is God's Son. He used to do all the hard work like walking on water and performing miracles and people finally got tired of Him preaching to them and they crucified Him. But He was good and kind, like His Father, and He told His Father that they didn't know what they were doing and to forgive them and God said "O.K." His Dad (God) appreciated everything that He had done and all His hard work on earth so, He told Him He didn't have to go out on the road anymore. He could stay in heaven. So He did. And now He helps His Dad out by listening to prayers and seeing things which are important for God to take care of and which ones He can take care of Himself without having to bother God. Like a secretary, only more important. You can pray anytime you want and, they are sure to help you because they got it worked out so one of them is on duty all the time.

You should always go to church on Sunday because it makes God happy, and if there's anybody you want to make happy, it's God. Don't skip church to do something you think will be more fun like going to the beach. This is wrong. And besides the sun doesn't come out at the beach until noon anyway.

If you don't believe in God, besides being an atheist, you will be very lonely, because your parents can't go everywhere with you, like to camp, but God can. It is good to know He's around you when you're scared in the dark or when you can't swim and you get thrown into real deep water by big kids.

But... you shouldn't just always think of what God can do for you. I figure God put me here and He can take me back anytime He pleases.

And... that's why I believe in God.

-----

Keep these thoughts with you throughout the coming years!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hats Off To You
======================
I was sitting in church today and happened to notice a young
man with his hat on. I was taught that it was very
disrespectful for a man to have his hat on in a church or when
eating, etc. so this was bothering me very much. I sat there
thinking how I could go about letting him know that wearing his
hat was disrespectful when all of a sudden something hit me.

I was convicted that it wasn't right for me to judge another person,
in any way. I was in the Lord's house and if He thought it
was disrespectful, He would let the young man know himself.
I also realized that if I said something to him, the young man
may feel that he was unwelcome in our church. I could not be
the type of person who was so rigid and uptight that I would
actually chase someone away from hearing God's word.

I enjoyed the rest of the service so much better after asking
God's forgiveness about being so petty.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A follow up to the previous post.

Heart of Gold
===================
I want to thank you for publishing Sally's story.
"Hats Off To You"

I sincerely hope that everyone
truly received this message.

My husband is a wonderful man
with a heart of gold. He has such a compassionate heart for the
less fortunate, disabled and elderly. He's the type of man who
becomes a magnet to those who get to know him. Everyone loves
talking, spending time with and being around him.

He is a tall, strong and handsome man who is very smart and
incredibly talented.

Little would anyone know that he is so
very self-conscious about his hair - or lack thereof. My
husband is 'that man' who wears his hat to church.

He once had a gorgeous head of hair. He would spend more time
in front of the mirror fixing it every morning than I would
spend on mine.

He had a head full of thick golden locks that
began falling away in his mid-twenties.

He is now in his mid-
thirties, shaves away the hair that does grow around the back
and sides of his head, and wears a hat every single day of his
life.

He won't even leave our house without a hat on his head and is
just recently starting to go without a hat every now and then
while inside our home. I've tried many, many times to convince
him of his natural handsomeness and to just try to go without a
hat; to no avail.

He actually has a beautifully shaped bald head that I
truly adore and personally think is quite handsome. However, the rude
and ridiculing remarks and 'jokes' by past so-called friends
have hurt him deeply and made him even more self-conscious and
very insecure about his baldness. Not to mention the recent
comment made by an Associate Pastor during one of our many
visits to a church we were considering becoming members of.

While the comment was very vague, his intentions were clear -
he was very bothered by it. Needless to say, even though we had
previously spent several evenings helping to build this church,
we haven't been back since. That could have been our church home,
where we could have made a difference.

So, I ask each of you to please consider 'that man' in church
who wears a hat. Wearing a hat doesn't make them any less of a
person, or disrespectful, or ungodly. God doesn't look at what
we wear; He looks into our hearts. When He looks into my
husband's heart, He doesn't see a hat...but, what does He see
when He looks into yours?

I want to personally thank you Sally, on behalf of the man