• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Provoke Not Your Children to Wrath
===============================================
What does the Bible mean
by 'Not to provoke your children to anger.'" All parents with
children can benefit from the answer that we sent them.
If you have children, read the article below.

The first three verses of Ephesians, Chapter 6, are directed
toward children and tells them to "obey your parents" and "honor
your father and mother." Then the spotlight shifts from
children to fathers and says, "Fathers, provoke not your
children to wrath" (Ephesians 6:4). Colossians 3:21 reads
similarly, "Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest
they be discouraged."

"Anger" - "wrath" - these are devastating emotions in children
and young people. Fathers, mothers, or others who have the
oversight of children should understand the long-term
ramifications of sustained anger in children. This short
article will deal with causes of wrath and anger in children and
how to overcome them.

The Apostle Paul who wrote Ephesians and Colossians was well
aware that Roman fathers had the freedom to treat their children
in any way they chose. One source says, "A Roman father had
absolute power over his family. He could sell them as slaves,
he could make them working his fields even in chains, he could
take the law into his own hands and punish as he liked, he could
even inflict the death penalty on his children."

We don't sell our children into slavery these days or put them
in chains or kill them but believe it or not, there are fathers
and mothers in our society who inflict emotional pain on their
children equal to the cruelty of Roman fathers.

Permit me to list some of the ways parents may injure the heart
and mind of their children:

1) Rejection - some children seethe inwardly or explode
outwardly because they feel emotionally rejected or have been
physically rejected by one or both of their parents.

Quite frankly, the wind has been taken out of their sails.
They have lost heart and lack motivation to do anything.
They are angry inside. When I was a child I can recall four
children my mother took into our home because their parents had
literally rejected them.

They were emotionally devastated. They cried often. Our family
helped them but there was no way we could fill the emotional
vacancy left by their parents.

2) Destructive criticism - There is no doubt that children need
reproof and correction. Identifying behavioral boundaries and
insisting that children stay within them is the natural duty of
parents. But insulting, destructive criticism that implies
stupidity on the part of children is emotionally destructive.

The apostle Peter wrote, "And above all things have fervent love
for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins"
(I Peter 4:8). In other words, loving parents will not
constantly remind their children of past failures or sins.
If God forgives them, parents should forgive them as well.

In his book, "Parents Passing on the Faith," Carl Spackman
wrote: Some children cannot sneeze without their parents telling
them they didn't do it correctly. When all our children hear
from morning to night is criticism of what they are doing or not
doing, they will become totally disheartened before long.
And they will probably develop a very negative self image and/or
openly rebel against their parents and their parents' faith.

3) Tension in the home - No parent wakes up in the morning
thinking, "What can I do to create stress and tension for my
children today?" We don't think that way but we often achieve
those same results.

When parents openly argue with each other day after day they
create far more tension for their children than they realize.

A child's sense of security is bound up in the secure
relationship of his or her parents. There is no question that a
tension-filled marriage will produce tension-filled children.

In his book, "Five Cries of Youth," Merton Stromen wrote:
"The most poignant cry is the sob of despair or shriek of sheer
frustration among youth living in an atmosphere of parental
hatred and distrust. Often it ends in running away from home,
delinquent behavior, suicide, or other self-destructive
behavior."

In your mind's eye trade places with your children and ask
yourself, "If I were a child in my home would the predominant
atmosphere be one of love and security or one of tension and
fear?"

Learn to look at the life-style pattern of your home through the
eyes of your children. It could make quite a difference in the
way you live.

We have briefly stated the problem that is found in many homes.
The answer is found in the last half of Ephesians 6:4.

After telling us not to "provoke our children to wrath" Paul
writes, "but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the
Lord." Bible commentator Matthew Henry interprets that
Scripture as follows:

"In all cases deal prudently and wisely with them, endeavoring
to convince their judgments and to work upon their reason."

Children, of course, should not be trained like a dog where the
usual commands are "sit." "speak," or "roll over."

Immature children are thinking, rational human beings.
They need and want clear direction from their parents. But the
parental directives we give and the boundaries we set should be
Biblical, rational, understandable, and appropriate to the level
of maturity of our children.

If your children are to rise up and call you "blessed"
(Proverbs 31:28) you cannot punctuate their childhood years with
rejection, destructive criticism, and an tension-filled home.

To do so will lead to grief, anger, and wrath. The answer is a
loving home, a caring church, and an inspiring school where the
name of Christ is honored.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
An Eternal Purpose

"To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God, According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord...Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory." Ephesians 3:10-13

Paul was in prison when he wrote the book of Ephesians, yet the book is filled with so much joy and amazement at God's salvation and eternal purpose. Paul could even tell the Ephesians that his tribulations--far from being something to complain about or avoid--was their glory. Wow.

Paul had his eyes, not on what he could see, but on God. He knew God had an eternal purpose that went far beyond anything here and now.

God sees what we cannot. Will we trust Him and choose to rejoice in Him wherever we are--whatever unique trial or "prison" or situation (positive or negative) we face?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A Role to Fill

Jean allowed her mind to romanticize as she pictured herself poised as an elegant princess robed in satin...or as a daring missionary accomplishing great deeds of valor...or as a capable rider taming an uncooperative horse. On the table before her lay a large stack of different movie scripts she had been reading. She fantasized herself acting a role in each one--how wonderfully thrilling it would be to be on some of those sets!

The clatter of a paint bucket brought Jean back to the present. She wasn't on any of those sets. Instead, she was in the same out-of-the-way movie set she'd been in for a long time. She had watched many of her fellow actresses get summoned off this set over the past few years, but no summons had come for her.

"Jean." The voice startled Jean. Was that the director calling?

His smiling face confirmed that she had correctly identified the voice.

Jean returned the smile, "Why, it's so good to see you!"

The director smiled a funny sort of smile. "Is it now? I've been here calling your name for a long time, but you seemed--umm--otherwise occupied."

Jean blushed in shame, hastily trying to gather up her scripts. But the director stayed her hand. "You don't have to try to hide what you were thinking, Jean. I know you're wishing you had a different role. But Jean, you haven't been forgotten. And although you don't see it, the role I have for you here, on this set, is incredibly important. You only see the things around you--the dilapidated set and the few lines in your part of the script--but this set and the role you're playing are a part of something much bigger than you could imagine. This set plays a piece in the large movie I'm directing."

A light came into Jean's eyes as she realized the director saw a big picture she couldn't see and had a purpose for her here. It dawned on her that she hadn't been fulfilling that purpose very well--she'd been wasting most of her time dreaming about other sets!

"I'm sorry, I should have been more faithful..." she whispered.

The director smiled again. "You're forgiven. I knew you would get lost dreaming about other sets. But today is the day to begin filling your role here."

Jean nodded, leaping to her feet and back into the action.

As Jean approached her role with new enthusiasm, she began seeing its importance and finding tremendous joy in what she was doing. Soon, she began to think that her set must be the most important one in the world. Why wasn't everyone here? Couldn't they see the roles that needed filled on this set? In her heart, and even sometimes in her words, she began judging those around her who found their work on other sets.

It took some time before she realized what a mistake she was making. The director had different, though equally important, sets that He was weaving together into a big picture. Her set was important--and the role she had on it was important--but that didn't mean it was the set and role He called everyone to fill. Each role, each set, was beautiful and equally important. She just needed to be faithful to fill the role she had been given right then--and to remain open if the director later called her to a different set and a different role. He saw the big picture, and that was what mattered.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wise Jogging Advice
============================
I usually jog one of two routes around the neighborhood.
It is always the same paths, same distances, same hills, and the
same streets.

As I was jogging, God spoke into my spirit.

Although it was while I was jogging, I knew it applied to other
areas of life.

God spoke, "Don't go down any dead ends."

There are a lot of streets that are dead ends in the
neighborhood. The fancy name is cul-de-sac but the truth is,
they are dead ends.

Until I took notice, I did not realize how many streets I jogged
that were dead ends.

When I avoided the dead ends, I found an entirely new and more
exciting route to run. I did not have to travel over the same
paths more than once.

So many things in life are dead ends.
You must have first the wisdom to recognize dead ends,
then the sense not to go down them.

"Don't go down any dead ends."

It wasn't about jogging,

it was about life.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Portrait
=================
Paint a portrait of life to be proud of that could not be sold
for all the money on earth.

Hang that portrait in your mind and understand its ever
presence.

Reflect on every brush stroke that makes all the mountains and
valleys and rivers and skies the most beautiful in the land.

Share your portrait with others but beware their brushes.

Select only those whose brush will add to the beauty and
structure of your masterpiece."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Stuck

We are very close to completing a master bathroom remodeling project that was supposed to be completed in April. What was contracted for three weeks has taken seven-and-a-half months. It has been a long, trying road, with many opportunities for extending and receiving grace, forgiveness, and patience.

Why did this project take so long? I have asked the Lord that question so many times I feel like a three year old! Turns out there were quite a few reasons, but the one that I want to share with you is about being focused on the problem. For a long time, we got focused on one part of the project that was causing trouble. As long as we stayed looking at that problem and the many unsuccessful fixes, we couldn't move forward with the rest of the bathroom. It paralyzed everyone involved.

I can remember this tactic of Satan getting in the way of any project too. It's easy to get sidetracked and stuck. Glitches, lack of progress, life's challenges, church commitments-- I have found that when I make anything other then pleasing the Lord a priority in life, I can easily be sidetracked or get stuck. Focusing on a problem can be discouraging and can lead us down a disheartening path.

If you're feeling stuck in an area, remember to step back and look at the big picture. Lift your eyes to the Lord and focus on Him rather than on the problem. If you're stuck on an issue or problem , consider letting it rest for a bit. Or, if you work on it still, don't focus on the struggle--remember instead the big picture: God is working all things together for good to them that love Him.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You May Know Me
=========================
You may know me.

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper; and I am your heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.

I am at your command.

Half of the tasks you do might as well be turned over to me.

I'm able to do them quickly.

I'm able to do them the same every time if that's what you want.

I am easily managed. All you've got to do is be firm with me.

Show me exactly how you want it done and after a few lessons
I'll do it automatically the rest of your life.

I am the servant of all great men and women, of course;
and I am servant to all the failures as well.

I've made all the great individuals who have ever been great.

And I've made all the failures that have ever failed.

But I work with all the precision of a marvelous computer.
I work with the intelligence of the human being.

Be easy on me and I will destroy you.

Be firm with me and I'll put the whole world at your feet.

What am I?

I am A Habit!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Shipwrecked

A voyaging ship was wrecked during a storm at sea and only two of the men on it were able to swim to a small, desert like island. The two survivors, not knowing what else to do, agree that they had no other recourse but to pray to God.

However, to find out whose prayer was more powerful, they agreed to divide the territory between them and stay on opposite sides of the island.

The first thing they prayed for was food. The next morning, the first man saw a fruit-bearing tree on his side of the land, and he was able to eat its fruit. The other man's parcel of land remained barren.

After a week, the first man was lonely and he decided to pray for a wife. The next day, another ship was wrecked, and the only survivor was a woman who swam to his side of the land. On the other side of the island, there was nothing. Soon the first man prayed for a house, clothes, more food. The next day, like magic, all of these were given to him. However, the second man still had nothing.

Finally, the first man prayed for a ship, so that he and his wife could leave the island. In the morning, he found a ship docked at his side of the island. The first man boarded the ship with his wife and decided to leave the second man on the island. He considered the other man unworthy to receive God's blessings, since none of his prayers had been answered.

As the ship was about to leave, the first man heard a voice from heaven booming, "Why are you leaving your companion on the island?"

"My blessings are mine alone, since I was the one who prayed for them," the first man answered. "His prayers were all unanswered and so he does not deserve anything."

"You are mistaken!" the voice rebuked him. "He had only one prayer, which I answered. If not for that, you would not have received any of my blessings."

"Tell me," the first man asked the voice, "what did he pray for that I should owe him anything?"

"He prayed that all your prayers be answered."

----

For all we know, our blessings are not the fruits of our prayers alone, but those of another praying for us.

This is too good not to share. With obedience come blessings. My prayer for you today is that all your prayers are answered. Be blessed.

"What you do for others is more important than what you do for yourself."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My District
===============
A story told by Reverend George Harper about his son, Hal, one
of Montana's youngest legislators who served in the Montana
House for 26 years.

One day Hal was campaigning and at one door a man said,

"I wouldn't vote for you if you were St. Peter himself."

Hal quickly replied,

"If I were St. Peter you wouldn't be in my district."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Victim Mentality

Have you ever felt like a victim of circumstances or people? Perhaps something happened that cost you dearly. Or maybe people around you have misunderstood, misrepresented, or misused you.

I recently found myself battling a "victim mentality" on several fronts. Without realizing it, I was missing out on 1) the joy of God's many blessings and 2) the work God had put right before me. Rather than rejoicing in all God had given and seeking to love the hurting people around me, I was complaining about the blessings and couldn't even see the needy hearts of those around me.

We are called to "rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18a), to walk in love (Ephesians 5:2), etc., but we can't do these things if we live life viewing ourselves as a victim. So what if circumstances or people are not what we wanted or agreed to? We live in a fallen world, and life is not fair. But God has promised to work all things together for our good (Romans 8:28) and to one day bring us to a perfect world where we will be with Him forever. Let's not miss out on the joy and opportunities He has given us in the meantime.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"It always storms when I'm in the air," Jason muttered, maneuvering the plane through the gathering clouds. "If I just had a fighter airplane instead of this gigantic bomber, this would be so much easier."

"You really think so?" Dan, Jason's co-pilot, startled Jason with the question.

"Of course," Jason replied. "I've always dreamed of flying those fighters."

Dan shrugged. "Yeah, they'd be nice, but then we wouldn't have such a fabulous crew to keep us company." Dan added the last words with a smile as he thought of their crewmen. "And as for this storm, it's a great chance to practice our flying skills!"

Jason couldn't understand Dan's joy. He certainly didn't see anything to be happy about. All he saw was another storm, another mission, a slow bomber, and an airplane filled with a flight crew that relished in annoying him. No, that fighter was the solution to all his problems, of that he was sure.

He wanted to be a useful pilot. He wanted to make a difference in this terrible war. Yet he felt cooped up on this silly bomber, fighting storms and putting up with his crewmen instead of winning metals for valiant dogfights, as he was sure he'd do in a fighter.

Jason continued flying, miserable and daydreaming about what his life could be like, but Dan chose to take a different perspective. He too would have loved the thrill of a dogfight, but he realized that being useful in the war wasn't about winning metals, but about embracing the position he'd been given. And right now, he was going to embrace flying this bomber with all his heart, choosing to let all its quirks and challenges make him a better pilot. After all, he knew from meeting fighter pilots that they, too, had challenges, and that many of them wished they could be on different assignments too. Dan didn't want to miss out on the assignment right before him.

"Hey, now would you look at that view?" Dan remarked in delight as the plane pulled out of the storm. "You can't beat a rainbow over the ocean."

Jason shrugged his shoulder. His heart was too filled with discontent to enjoy the beautiful sight.

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18