• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I pray the lord my soul to keep

-- By Kathy Anne Harris

It was blistering hot even though the sun had set two hours earlier.

Prone on the ground, Seth crawled through dry grass and dusty earth. Soil and weeds clung to his clothing. Gnats and mosquitos clamored on skin that the dirt and leaves left exposed.

In his eyes was reflected the hot glare from exploding mortar shells--and the haunting glow of flares as they blossomed in the canopy of night. Heat from the fires singed his lungs and fanned crisply on his flesh.

Yet there was another fire that blazed bright. And even his fellow soldiers couldn't see that deeply into his mind and heart--to the flame of fear.

For the most part Seth could bank the embers, but sparks shot up, every now and then. The fear was not specific. It did not belong to any particular thought.

The world he lived in now was alien to him; unlike anything in his life he had ever experienced. Moreover, the land was foreign, and held no welcome.

Seth had enlisted when he turned 20. He had no wife. No children. He did leave his folks, and younger brother back in the states. There was no grand job waiting for him, as he wasn't sure what he wanted to do by way of a career. Joining the Army was his first priority. There would be time later to figure out what he wished to do with his life

Being in the military wasn't something he'd been planning, but after 9-11, Seth felt it was where he belonged. His decision to join the armed forces did not come without a price. Just as his country stood divided on The United States' involvement--so, too, did his family. Some were proud of him; others were angry... awash in disbelief.

Many people could not reconcile the reality that those in the military--the Marine Corps, Air Force, Navy, and Army--might be placed in harm's way. They may have to fight to defend themselves. Or fight to protect the lives and freedom of others. If it were not so, they wouldn't be called the "armed forces." There'd be another term, perhaps, the "peaceful troops."

He knew when he enlisted, what the dangers of serving for his country may bring. Still, it didn't make it any easier for him at times like this. Fear and uncertainty rode the tidal wave of Seth's emotions, as did resolve, pride, and purpose.

As he inched along the ground, a creature skittered through the brush a few inches from his face. Seth turned his head to the side and in that moment, when the air around him lit as bright as a lightning strike, he saw his friend convulse as metal and lead tore threw his body. From behind him, Seth heard his commanding officer shouting orders to break cover and find shelter.

Seth quickly stood, then began to run. Somewhere in the dark a woman screamed--a fellow soldier. As adrenaline pumped through him like electricity in his veins, he didn't at first notice the searing wound in his own back. When he stumbled, the pain jolted him. He reached back, felt the wound, and his hand came away wet. He tumbled to the ground, just shy of a sandy berm.

In disbelief and shock, he pulled himself behind some large rocks abutting the banked earth. Time slowed down as Seth's thoughts raced. What had he done to leave his mark in this world? His love for his parents and brother flushed through his senses. Vistas of the land that was his country played in front of his mind's eye...

His heart beat irregularly and extremely fast. The pain in his back had spread, enveloping his entire body. He bowed his head. A tear slid down his cheek as he began to pray. As his shallow breathing ebbed, so did his life force.

~*~*~

"Sometimes what a person thinks may be important, is not anything close to the contribution he or she leaves." The voice was hushed, and came from an officer standing over him. "A person may think that they will have a job that makes a difference in the world…research, teaching, or sculpting a masterpiece."

The officer lowered himself to the ground, next to Seth. "But to save a country, a life, an ideal, or a freedom. To change the world of a child…" his voice was carried on a sudden breeze and Seth lifted his head so that he might see better.

The officer continued, "If you inspire even one person. To be an example by giving of yourself as fully as any human could -- with your life. Those are the actions that make a difference. Those are the sacrifices that leave a mark in the world." The officer scanned the darkness, then stood.

Weak and weary, Seth could no longer hold his head up, but the words spoken to him threaded through to his heart, his soul. Seth smiled.

Seth's shallow breathing stopped, and he slid away.

"Your prayer has been delivered to your family... the comfort given to them. A soldier who fought at your side will forever be changed by the life you led--the sacrifice you made. Your countrymen will hear of your bravery and many will alter the path of their lives." He stood and extended his hand.

When Seth reached out, the air around him came alive, like a breath on his skin. When he grasped the hand offered to him, the pulse of a luminous wing caught his eye. He gazed up; the soldier was there no longer. A soldier had never been there. An angel had. And in the angel's eyes, light from the stars glittered in irises of deep indigo.

The angel's wings unfurled and a lucent glow, like that from a torch on a garden wall, radiated outward. A zephyr, as fresh and calming as a garden of flowers, emanated 'round the angel and Seth. And a voice, as unlike any sound a human had ever uttered, bid Seth to come. And he did...

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In His Hands

How calmly may we commit ourselves to the hands of Him
who bears up the world.

~Jean Paul Richter~

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Iraq and the bible

Very interesting, but unsubstantiated.

DIDJA KNOW...

1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (It sure doesn't look much like Paradise on earth today thanks to Saddam)

2. Mesopotamia which is now Iraq was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!

6. Isaac's wife Rebekah is from Nahor which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Nineveh - which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria which is in Iraq conquered the ten tribes of Israel.

10. Amos cried out in Iraq!

11. Babylon which is in Iraq destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion's den in Iraq!

13. The 3 Hebrew children were in the fire in Iraq (That's good news to know that JESUS has been in Iraq too as the 4th person in the fiery furnace!)

14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the "writing on the wall" in Iraq.

15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq. (where are the "wise" men today?)

18. Peter preached in Iraq.

19. The "Empire of Man" described in Revelation is called Babylon which was a city in Iraq!

ALSO, DIDJA KNOW...
Israel is the nation most often mentioned in the Bible. But do you know
which nation is second? It is Iraq! However, that is not the name that is
used in the Bible. The names used in the Bible are Babylon, Land of Shinar,
and Mesopotamia. The word Mesopotamia means between the two rivers,
more exactly between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. The name Iraq,
means country with deep roots. Indeed Iraq is a country with deep roots
and is a very significant country in the Bible. Here's why.

* Eden was in Iraq--Genesis 2:10-14
* Adam &Eve were created in Iraq--Genesis 2:7-8
* Satan made his first recorded appearance in Iraq--Genesis 3:1-6
* Nimrod established Babylon &Tower of Babel was built in Iraq--
Genesis 10:8-97; 11:1-4
* The confusion of the languages took place in Iraq--Genesis 11:5-11
* Abraham came from a city in Iraq--Genesis 11:31; Acts 7:2-4
* Isaac's bride came from Iraq--Genesis 24:3-4; 10
* Jacob spent 20 years in Iraq--Genesis 27:42-45; 31:38
* The first world Empire was in Iraq--Daniel 1:1-2;2:36-38
* The greatest revival in history was in a city in Iraq--Jonah 3
* The events of the book of Esther took place in Iraq--Esther
* The book of Nahum was a prophecy against a city in Iraq--Nahum
* The book or Revelation has prophecies against Babylon, which was the
old name for the nation of Iraq--Revelation 17 &18

No other nation, except Israel, has more history and prophecy associated
it than Iraq.

And also didja know ...

This is something to think about! Since America is typically represented
by an eagle. Saddam should have read up on his Muslim passages...
The following verse is from the Quran, (the Islamic Bible)

Quran (9:11) -- For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a
fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands
of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more
rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there
was peace. Note the verse number.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who Is St. Patrick?

Most of us know of St. Patrick's Day but most don't know exactly
who St. Patrick was and what he did (other than he was a saint).

Patrick was born in Roman Britain in the early fourth century
into a wealthy family. Yes, Britain was conquered by the Roman
Empire at one point, thus Roman Britain but that's another
story.

At the age of 16 Patrick was taken captive by Irish raiders and
taken to Ireland as a slave. He was told by God to flee his
captivity to the coast where he would board a ship and return to
Britain. Upon his return to Britain he studied to become a
priest.

In 432 God called Patrick back to Ireland though this time he
was a bishop. Patrick was instrumental in introducing
Christianity to Ireland. You can read the full story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Day

Born into wealth, taken as a slave, escaping and then told to go
back to help the people who enslaved him is not an easy path.
But his help changed his captor's world and future.

Someone has hurt you and/or cost you dearly in possessions.
You've escaped and yet the seeds of their trespass has produced
bitter fruit in their lives. Perhaps now they need your help.

Sometimes to make that journey back takes a saint.

We can all learn a lot from St. Patrick.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Serious Time

I noticed that others in the waiting room simply sat, some not
even reading, merely waiting as it were, in stasis. It's evident,
others don't take time as seriously as I do.

It doesn't really bother them to waste it. I am keenly aware that
my duration in life is limited. Am I unique in this?

Even when I'm not writing I am driven to make my time count.
Call me a workaholic if you will but to me the indifference to the
passage of time that most people evince seems like folly.

To me, a life that is slack is a life being lived inefficiently.

~Piers Anthony, author's note from the book, Bearing An Hourglas~

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I Can Dance!

I am walking,
By God's Grace,
By faith alone,
I can run life's race.

Though for a time,
I will sit in a chair,
I am always amazed
By God's Constant Care!

By placing my life completely
Not leaving it up to chance,
In my Saviour's nail-pierced hands,
He will cause my feet to dance!

My name is Connie Van Amerongen from Canada.
I am confined to a wheelchair
because of Cerebral Palsy.

That is my poem.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is packaging important?

A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted.

As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car. Finally, on the morning of his graduation, his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautiful wrapped gift box. Curious, but somewhat disappointed, the young man opened the box and found a lovely, leather-bound Bible, with the young man's name embossed in gold. Angrily, he raised his voice to his father and said, "With all your money you give me a Bible?" He then stormed out of the house, leaving the Bible.

Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and a wonderful family, but realizing his father was very old, he thought perhaps he should go to see him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make the arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.

When he arrived at his father's house, sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. As he was reading, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words... "PAID IN FULL".

How many times do we miss blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's in the valleys i grow

By Jane Eggleston

Sometimes life seems hard to bear,
Full of sorrow, trouble and woe
It's then I have to remember
That it's in the valleys I grow.

If I always stayed on the mountain top
And never experienced pain,
I would never appreciate God's love
And would be living in vain.

I have so much to learn
And my growth is very slow,
Sometimes I need the mountain tops,
But it's in the valleys I grow.

I do not always understand
Why things happen as they do,
But I am very sure of one thing.
My Lord will see me through.

My little valleys are nothing
When I picture Christ on the cross
He went through the valley of death;
His victory was Satan's loss.

Forgive me Lord, for complaining
When I'm feeling so very low.
Just give me a gentle reminder
That it's in the valleys I grow.

Continue to strengthen me, Lord
And use my life each day
To share your love with others
And help them find their way.

Thank you for valleys, Lord
For this one thing I know
The mountain tops are glorious
But it's in the valleys I grow!

Have a blessed day!

-----

"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor."
"The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything."
"If your problem is bigger than your GOD, then you are serving the wrong god."

"Remember... knees that bend don't shake! " - Dr. P. L. Williams

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Public Enemy Number One

I had grown tired of standing in the lean and lonely front line
facing the greatest enemy that ever confronted man

...public opinion.

~Clarence Darrow (1857-1938)~

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Guten!

======

A collector of rare books ran into an acquaintance who told him
he had just thrown away an old Bible that he found in a dusty,
old box. He happened to mention that Guten-somebody-or-other had
printed it.

"Not Gutenberg?" gasped the collector.

"Yes, that was it!"

"You idiot! You've thrown away one of the first books ever printed.
A copy recently sold at auction for half a million dollars!"

"Oh, I don't think this book would have been worth anything
close to that much," replied the man. "It was scribbled all over
in the margins by some guy named Martin Luther.

septuagint

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;Hv33W6W_ssw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv33W6W_ssw&list=PL8B5F876CEA030FFA&feature=share&index=3[/video]

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gateways
=========

I had just finished preaching a eulogy.

The thought of the many marriages and funerals that I’ve attended
recently went through my mind.

I thought, “Marriage and death are both gateways to a new world.

They can BOTH lead to either heaven or hell.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Iit's the struggle in life that makes us strong

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole.

Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could, and it could go no further.

So the man decided to help the butterfly. He took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon.

The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man, in his kindness and haste, did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

-----

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our lives.

If God allowed us to go through our lives without any obstacles, it would cripple us.

We would not be as strong as what we could have been. We could never fly!

I asked for Strength... and God gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for Wisdom... and God gave me Problems to solve.

I asked for Prosperity... and God gave me Brain and Brawn to work.

I asked for Courage... and God gave me Danger to overcome.

I asked for Love... and God gave me Troubled people to help.

I asked for Favors... and God gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted ... I received everything I needed!

May God Bless You.

May God Bless you with unspeakable joy, not only in the world to come, but in this world also.

May your path be bright and full of light everywhere you go.

May God tell darkness that it must flee at your command.

And, I pray your feet will never stumble out of God's plan.

May the desires of your heart come true, And may you experience Peace in everything you do.

May Goodness, Kindness, and Mercy come your way.

And may you gain Wisdom and grow in the Lord everyday.