Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 2,101 to 2,103 of 2103

Thread: Just sharing.

My Reputation Points: 4364 / Power: 10

Default Re: Just sharing.

My Reputation Points: 3877 / Power: 9

Buy the milk

A young man had been to Wednesday night Bible Study. The Pastor had spoken about "listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice."

The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?" After service he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways. It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray,"God, if you still speak to people, speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey."

driving through town at nightAs he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply, so he started on toward home. But again, the thought came to him... buy a gallon of milk.

The young man thought about Samuel, and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli. "Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk." It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. So, he stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started toward home.

As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, "Turn down that street." This is crazy, he thought, and drove on past the intersection. Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God, I will".

He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark, like people were already in bed.

gallon of milkAgain, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street." The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat. "Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid."

Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk. Finally, he opened the door and said, "Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something but, if they don't answer right away, I am out of here."

He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out, "Who is it? What do you want?" Then the door opened before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep.

The man asked, "What is it?"

The young man thrust out the gallon of milk and said, "Here, I brought this to you," he said. The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway speaking loudly in Spanish. Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. man holding crying babyThe man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face. The man began speaking and half crying, "We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk." His wife in the kitchen yelled out,"I ask him to send an angel with some. Are you an Angel?"

The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put it in the man's hand. Then he turned and walked back toward his car and tears were streaming down his face. He knew then that God does still speak to people... and answer prayers.

My Reputation Points: 3877 / Power: 9

Let Me Tell You

Let me tell you what I would do if I were you!

Listen!

Listen!

Listen carefully!

Shut off all of the noise around you so that you can hear me!

Listen!

Here it comes, listen!

Now, follow what was spoken to you.

Let me explain the flow of your conversation in the issue.

You start out with the title “Let me Tell You”. It catches the reader’s attention, because we all think you are about to share some secret that the reader is privy to and that you are not going to share it with anyone else.
    Your first statement is a sentence that ends in an exclamation point [Let me tell you what I would do if I were you!]. In essence, you are raising your voice a bit to say I have given you enough advice over the years for you to act on, but now I am going to tell you for the final time what to do but it is based upon what would be done if I were in your situation.

On line two (2) you then tell the reader to listen (with an exclamation point). Listening implies the act of being quiet. The person must have been trying to talk above your voice, so you had to talk above them in order to get their attention to listen. You are speaking in the imperative voice.

On line three (3) the person still will not SHUT up so you had to follow up with another “Listen!”. This time the tone of your voice recedes but you still feel the need to use the imperative voice.

On line four (4) you say something profound. You utter slowly the words “L-i-s-t-e-n… c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y…!” All eyes are on you now. The person seeking your advice has calmed down and is all ears. They know what you are about to say could very well change their life so they have all five (5) senses tuned towards you.
    On line five (5) you follow up by commanding that all outside noise be shut off so that you can be heard, but the listener is wondering if that is possible. If it is possible, they might hear something they have been running away from for far too long. The listener is on the edge of their seat as you watch their physical reaction.

They are finally primed for what is about to come out of your mouth when you say to them “Listen!”. The person is a little startled because they were expecting you to utter more. However, they then realize that the answer they were seeking is not coming from you at all. It’s coming from God.
    You then give a final call that the advice they were expecting is on the precipice of what they need to hear. You then say, “Here it comes, listen!”
    The person opens their eyes and a wellspring of direction is poured forth from God’s throne. In fact, it’s life changing. The crazy part is all the person had to do is to be still long enough to drink from the well that never runs dry.

You then skip a few lines in writing the advice in the form of a sonnet or prose to let the person know you have taken them as far as you can. They must now do the unthinkable. What is the unthinkable? The unthinkable is the courage to act upon what was said in their conversation with God. Why is that so unthinkable? It’s simple. Every true message from God WILL take some degree of faith that encompasses the unknown. It is at that point that we have to trust God that HIS call is the only “NEXT STEP” for your life.

Just when I was facing a choice that took some serious thought, this issue was posted. It’s not that I didn’t know what to do. It’s that I knew what God wanted me to do, and I was struggling with God’s request. I have an altar in my home, so I went there to pray and as Mahalia Jackson used to sing “The answer came, while I was knelling there in prayer”. Things are unfolding so fast for me in this past week since I had my listening session with God. Why are they unfolding so fast? Well, I walked away saying “Not my will, but thy will be done”. When you turn things over into the hand of God, He speaks and it’s done.

Thread Information