• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Envy, Lust and Honor-Seeking
==========================================
The teaching of the Talmudic sage, Rabbi Elazar Hakapar:
"Envy, lust and honor-seeking drive a person from the world."

Rabbi Elazar Hakapar tells us that these three character traits
are not only morally wrong, but also physically harmful, as they
harm the person who engages in them. A person who has envy,
lust and a desire for honor will be a very unhappy person.
These traits drive people to jeopardize their health, which in
turn, "drive a person from the world."

On the other hand, our sages in the same chapter of Pirkei Avot
tell us, "Who is rich? He who is happy with his lot!"
They also tell us, "Who is honored? He who honors others!"

When one is not envious of those who have more wealth, but
instead are happy with their lot in life, then they are indeed
wealthy. At the same time, one who does not seek recognition
but is happy, content and gives honor, is indeed honored and
will be healthier and live longer.

The story is told of a miser who put all his money in a pot and
buried it in the ground so that no one could take it away from
him.

One day he went to retrieve his money, but to his great shock,
he found that someone stole his money and instead left him a pot
full of rocks. The miser walked around crying, tearing the hair
from his head and bemoaning his terrible situation.

One of his friends, trying to console him said, "Why are you so
upset? After all, you never had any benefit of your wealth.
You never used your money, nor will you ever spend it for
yourself or for anyone else. So why are you so upset?
You wouldn't have had any use of your money anyway?"

To this the miser replied, "True, for myself it doesn't really
make a difference whether the pot is full of gold coins or
rocks, I will have no benefit from either. What hurts me is
that someone else out there is benefiting from my money.
This hurts more than anything else!"

To help remind us on a daily basis of our true wealth, our sages
instituted a series of blessings, which we recite each morning.

When we wake up in the morning, we bless and thank God for
returning our soul refreshed for the new day. We thank God for
giving us the power to see, to move our limbs, to stand, to walk
etc. These blessings make us aware at the beginning of each day
of how fortunate we really are and help us focus on the many
blessings we receive each minute of the day.

King David concludes the Psalms reminding us that we must thank
God for every single breath which we take!

We should continuously remember the wise guidance of Rabbi
Elazar Hakapar:
"Envy, lust and honor-seeking drive a person from the world."

If only we wouldn't take for granted the wonderful gifts which
God gives each of us each day; we would realize how much we have
to be thankful for.

HAVE A VERY GOOD, HAPPY, HEALTHY AND SUCCESSFUL DAY

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My Plea To Christian Pastors

As part of the Bridge Builder Team, I am honored to represent "My people". "My People" are people with disabilities, their parents, siblings, grandparents, and all those who are connected with them in some other way. They became "my people" the moment my brother was diagnosed with mental retardation

In times of crisis, such as a new diagnosis or a birth defect, many anxious parents, Christian and non-Christian alike, flock to the public system which, in a sense, becomes their "church". This system welcomes all my people -offering support, encouragement, and community- A sanctuary from an unkind world. And when a church doesn’t welcome or dis-invites one of my people, the rest of my community are warned about it. It is marked an unsafe place.

Why does the world do a better job with inclusion than the church? I think we Christians, somewhere along the way, have lost sight of God’s perspective towards all of us- we are crippled by sin, in need of a savior. We may have unknowingly given power to "man-made" labels by using them as guidelines to determine who can or cannot understand the things of God. In a sense, we have taken the role of the host to decide who will get an invitation to God's banquet. I confess -I bought into this lie.

Then God exposed the lie and set me free from it through a mother’s words. This mother told me "My daughter's spirit is not retarded!" …..Her words broke the deception in my thinking. Sharing the gospel with a person who cannot make his response known because of his disability is in no way different than sharing the gospel with an able bodied person who offers no response. In both situations, we are to give God’s invitation and trust that the Holy Spirit will do His job.

Helen Keller, who was born deaf and blind, was once asked which disability would be the worst disability to have. She answered "Having sight… but no vision". I come here today to challenge your vision for God’s people. Look at your congregation through God’s eyes. Does your church look like the people who eagerly sought out His Son Jesus? You know, the poor, the blind, the lame, the deaf? Are you welcoming people who may be mentally ill or severely disfigured? Evidently these people are so important to God that they are clearly documented in the Bible, both in the Old and the New Testament?

If we are to be imitators of Jesus, then we must seek out the people who are still in the lanes and the margins of life. God uses these people as change agents. They change us. In fact, we may need them more than they need us. If we don’t have a child with severe disabilities, who is going to show us what true dependence on God looks like. If we don’t have mentally retarded people in our congregations, who will teach us what patience and simple joy looks like. If we don’t invite people different than us, who will teach us how to love unconditionally. Yes …Jesus attracts but …He also disturbs.

So what holds us back in this new millennium? For the most part, The American Disabilities Act doesn’t require churches to legally welcome all. So if not for a legal reason, then what will it take for Christian churches to welcome the people that Jesus was not ashamed to be with? In this day and age, there are many excellent resources and tools are available to support this task. All it takes a willing heart, such as yours, to be empowered by the Holy Spirit to welcome all into His fold. "For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." (2Tim:7)

I leave you with this true story. One morning a friend of mine was praying to God and told Him that she would do anything that He wanted her to do. Her desire was to be obedient. She went to the supermarket where she bought a few groceries. The woman who bagged her groceries appeared to be mentally retarded. Lisa thanked her for bagging the groceries and said that she would be able to carry the bag herself. This woman said with great pride "Oh, no, this is my job." Lisa didn’t argue. As they were walking in the parking lot, the Lord said to Lisa "Ask her if she knows me?" Lisa remembering her promise ,obeyed and asked this woman cautiously "Do you know Jesus?. Without hesitation, this woman said" Oh, yes I do……Jesus holds me every time I am having a seizure!"

Lisa left her house that morning thinking that she was going to bless another person for the Lord. God had other plans. God worked through this woman to show Lisa that disability does not stop His plans, His truth. Lisa left the parking lot fully blessed. Tears still come to her eyes as she shares God's revelation on that day.

What excites me is the fact that someone took the time to share Jesus with this woman in spite of her disability. She bridged the disability gap with Jesus. Do you know this servant of Jesus, this bridge builder? Could they be from your congregation? Are you guilty… of sharing Jesus Christ with everyone ? If not, then who is going to remind you that Jesus will be with you when you may have a seizure?"

Thank you for reading my plea for Christians to open their Christian communities to welcome all into God's Kingdom.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
NASA vs. the Bible

For all the scientists out there and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible...here's something that shows God's awesome creation and shows that He is still in control. Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has been called "myth" in the Bible is true?

Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland and a consultant in the space Program relates the following development. "I think one of the most amazing things that God has for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Greenbelt, Maryland.

They were checking the position of the sun, moon, and planets out in space where they would be 100 years and 1000 years from now. We have to know this so we won't send a satellite, up and have it bump into something later on in its orbits. We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite, and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong either with the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out and they said, "What's wrong?" Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time. They scratched their heads and tore their hair. There was no answer.

Finally, a Christian man on the team said, "You know, one time I was in Sunday School and they talked about the sun standing still." While they didn't believe him, they didn't have an answer either, so they said, "Show us."

He got a Bible and went back to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with "common sense." There they found the Lord saying to Joshua, "Fear them not, have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before thee."

Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy and if darkness fell they would overpower them. So Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still!

That's right- "The sun stood still and the moon stayed - and hasted not to go down about a whole day!" (Joshua 10:12-13) The astronauts and scientists said, "There is the missing day!"

They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes-not a whole day.

They read the Bible and there it was "about (approximately) a day." These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes you'll still be in trouble 1,000 years from now. Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits.

As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS. The scientists told him he was out of his mind, but they got out the Book and read these words in 2 Kings that told of the following story: Hezekiah, on his death bed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof.

Isaiah said "Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees?" Hezekiah said "It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees, but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees."

Isaiah spoke to the Lord and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD! Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes! Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the Universe!" Isn't it amazing?

References: Joshua 10:8 and 12, 13 and 2 Kings 20:9-11. Forward this to as many people who you believe would think this is equally as cool. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Never Drink and Drive

He opens another one of the cans,
Thinking his mind would withstand.
In a drunken rage,
His anger is released in one thoughtless stage.

Fearing nothing at all,
He answers his angers call.
He opens his truck door,
Then presses the gas pedal to the floor.

As he turns the last curve,
There was no time for either car to swurve.
As their cars collide,
Both pass over to the other side.

Now as they both stand in the judgment line,
Memories of loved ones race through their minds.
She turns and gives him a forgiving smile,
As Christ searches throughout her file.

Then an ange decends from a cloud above,
With wings as snow white as a doves.
She hits her knees and Praises the Lord,
Her earthly pain she will endure no more.

As he steps forward to take his turn,
He notices that his feet are starting to burn.
As Christ opens his files,
The devils laughter is heard screaching for miles

As Christ stands up and leaves the room,
It fills suddenly with darkness and gloom.
As the steaming pits of hell open wide,
The devils voice screams out, you should
NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No Time

I knelt to pray but not for long,
I had too much to do.
I had to hurry and get to work
For bills would soon be due.

So I knelt and said a hurried prayer,
And jumped up off my knees.
My Christian duty was now done
My soul could rest at ease.

All day long I had no time
To spread a word of cheer.
No time to speak of Christ to friends,
They'd laugh at me I'd fear.

No time, no time, too much to do,
That was my constant cry,
No time to give to souls in need
But at last the time the time to die.

I went before the Lord,
I came, I stood with downcast eyes.
For in his hands God held a book;
It was the book of life.

God looked into his book and said
"Your name I cannot find.
I once was going to write it down...
But never found the time

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No Time II

I got up this morning and I wanted to pray, but I had no time
I had to go pay a bill and I wanted to go to bible study, but I had no time

I had to go to the store and I wanted to go to church, but I had no time
I had so much to do so many places to go that I just had no time for God

I lived a good life it was now time to die
I wanted to sat goodbye, but I had no time

I stood before God on judgement day there he stood with a book in his hand
It was the book of life
He opened the book and looked in it

He then looked at me and said
There once was a time I wanted to write down your name, but I had no time

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A bit lighthearted today......

Kid's Voices
==================
Ever notice how a 4-year-old's voice is louder than 200 adult
voices?

Several years ago, I returned home from a trip just when a storm
hit, with crashing thunder and severe lightning.

As I came into my bedroom about 2 a.m., I found my two children
in bed with my wife, Karey, apparently scared by the loud storm.
I resigned myself to sleep in the guest bedroom that night.

The next day, I talked to the children and explained that it was
O.K. to sleep with Mom when the storm was bad, but when I was
expected home, please don't sleep with Mom that night.

They said OK.

After my next trip several weeks later, Karey and the children
picked me up in the terminal at the appointed time.

Since the plane was late, everyone had come into the terminal to
wait for my plane's arrival, along with hundreds of other folks
waiting for their arriving passengers.

As I entered the waiting area, my son saw me, and came running
shouting,

"Hi, Dad! I've got some good news!"

As I waved back, I said loudly, "What's the good news?"

Alex shouted,

"Nobody slept with Mommy while you were away this time!"

The airport became very quiet, as everyone in the waiting area
looked at Alex, then turned to me, and then searched the rest of
the area to see if they could figure out exactly who his Mom
was.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Now I Sit Me Down

By: 12 Year old girl in Boston

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.

For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites
It violates the Bill of Rights.

Anytime my head I bow
Becomes a federal matter now.

The law is specific; the law is precise.
Praying out loud is no longer nice.

Praying aloud in a public hall
Upsets those who believe in nothing at all.

In silence alone we can meditate
and if God should get the credit--great!
They are bringing their guns,

I don't dare bring my Bible,
To do so might make me liable.

So, now Oh Lord, this plea I make;
Should I be shot in school, My soul please take.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
One of Us Abstained

I was holding a notice from my 13-year-old son's school announcing a meeting to preview the new course in sexuality. Parents could examine the curriculum and take part in an actual lesson presented exactly as it would be given to the students.

When I arrived at the school, I was surprised to discover only about a dozen parents there. As we waited for the presentation, I thumbed through page after page of instructions in the prevention of pregnancy or disease. I found abstinence mentioned only in passing.

When the teacher arrived with the school nurse, she asked if there were any questions. I asked why abstinence did not play a noticeable part in the material.

What happened next was shocking. There was a great deal of laughter, and someone suggested that if I thought abstinence had any merit, I should go back to burying my head in the sand.

The teacher and the nurse said nothing as I drowned in a sea of embarrassment. My mind had gone blank, and I could think of nothing to say. The teacher explained to me that the job of the school was to "teach facts," and the home was responsible for moral training.

I sat in silence for the next 20 minutes as the course was explained. The other parents seemed to give their unqualified support to the materials.

"Donuts, at the back," announced the teacher during the break. "I'd like you to put on the name tags we have prepared - they're right by the donuts - and mingle with the other parents."

Everyone moved to the back of the room.

As I watched them affixing their nametags and shaking hands, I sat deep in thought. I was ashamed that I had not been able to convince them to include a serious discussion of abstinence in the materials. I uttered a silent prayer for guidance.

My thoughts were interrupted by the nurse's hand on my shoulder. "Won't you join the others, Mr. Layton?" The nurse smiled sweetly at me. "The donuts are good." "Thank you, no," I replied.

"Well, then, how about a name tag? I'm sure the others would like to meet you." "Somehow I doubt that," I replied. "Won't you please join them?" she coaxed.

Then I heard a still, small voice whisper, "Don't go." The instruction was unmistakable. "Don't go!" "I'll just wait here," I said.

When the class was called back to order, the teacher looked around the long table and thanked everyone for putting on nametags. She ignored me.

Then she said, "Now we're going to give you the same lesson we'll be giving your children. Everyone please peel off your name tags." I watched in silence as the tags came off. "Now, then, on the back of one of the tags, I drew a tiny flower. Who has it, please?"

The gentleman across from me held it up. "Here it is!" "All right, she said. "The flower represents disease. Do you recall with whom you shook hands?" He pointed to a couple of people.

"Very good," she replied. "The handshake in this case represents intimacy. So the two people you had contact with now have the disease." There was laughter and joking among the parents.

The teacher continued, "And whom did the two of you shake hands with?"

The point was well taken, and she explained how this lesson would show students how quickly disease is spread. "Since we all shook hands, we all have the disease."

It was then that I heard the still, small voice again. "Speak now, it said, "but be humble." I noted the latter admonition, then rose from my chair.

I apologized for any upset I might have caused earlier, congratulated the teacher on an excellent lesson that would impress the youth, and concluded by saying I had only one small point I wished to make. "Not all of us were infected," I said.

"One of us...abstained."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pain

My fist against the wall; again and again
This perfect little box I have built around myself
A dance with the Devil I think I have mastered
But only in my mind do I win

In the physical realm the deeds I do bring death
But in my mind I think I win
The members of my body wage holy war against me

My imperfection grows, and my ego explodes
This dance that I think I know one step, two step
But in reality One step forwards, and two steps back
My every victory brings two more defeats

I walk with an air of confidence
But my spirit is crushed
I hurt those around me, but not physically
I hurt them because I am not all that I can be

Complacency has taken hold
And it's icy dead grip is chilling
Victory is within my grasp

But in my mind I think I have already won
Who can save me from this body of death
I seek Him, I seek His healing
I seek the freedom He brings

Freedom from this body of death
I deserve to suffer, and stubbornly I accept this
But he offers His hand, and I bite it, like a stubborn dog
I deserve death, but I don't get it, yet

One more chance He gives, one more chance I waste
One more chance He gives, one more I reject
Bring me pain so that I may see
For in my pain I find my faith

My faith made strong by my pain
And my faith will save me

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Parable of the Candles

There was a blackout one night. When the lights went out, I fumbled to the closet where we keep the candles for nights like this. I lit four of them. I was turning to leave with the large candle in my hand when I heard a voice, "Now, hold it right there."

"Who said that?"
"I did." The voice was near my hand.
"Who are you? What are you?"
"I'm a candle."

I lifted up the candle to take a closer look.
There was a tiny face in the wax.

"Don't take me out of here!"
"What?"
"I said, Don't take me out of this room."
"What do you mean? I have to take you out. You're a candle.
Your job is to give light. It's dark out there."

"But you can't take me out. I'm not ready," the candle explained with pleading eyes.

"I need more preparation."

I couldn't believe my ears. "More preparation?"
"Yeah, I've decided I need to research this job of light-giving so I won't go out and make a bunch of mistakes. You'd be surprised how distorted the glow of an untrained candle can be...."

"All right then," I said.
"You're not the only candle on the shelf.
I'll blow you out and take the others!"
But right then I heard other voices,

"We aren't going either!"

I turned to the other candles,
"You are candles and your job is to light dark places!"

"Well, that may be what you think," said the first one,
"You may think we have to go, but I'm busy...
I'm meditating on the importance of light. It's really enlightening."...

"And you other two," I asked, "are you going to stay too?"

A short, fat, purple candle with plump cheeks spoke up. "I'm waiting to get my life together, I'm not stable enough."

The last candle had a female voice, very pleasant to the ear.
"I'd like to help, "she explained, "but lighting the darkness is not my gift...I'm a singer. I sing to other candles to encourage them to burn more brightly."

She began a rendition of "This Little Light of Mine" The other three joined in, filling the closet with singing....I took a step back and considered the absurdity of it all. Four perfectly healthy candles singing to each other about light but refusing to come out of the closet.

Here is a question for you, when was the last time you sharedthe gospel to someone? This world is full of darkness, with many people stumbling around trying to find their way. You can be a light for them, and believe me, there's a light waiting for you. It can all happen with something as sharing the faith, to just a smile across the room, to a quick hello to a forgotten friend

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand; and it giveth light to all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Parable of the Three Trees

Once upon a mountain top, three little trees stood and dreamed of what they wanted to become when they grew up.

The first little tree looked up at the stars and said: "I want to hold treasure. I want to be covered with gold and filled with precious stones. I'll be the most beautiful treasure chest in the world!"

The second little tree looked out at the small stream trickling by on its way to the ocean. "I want to be traveling mighty waters and carrying powerful kings. I'll be the strongest ship in the world!"

The third little tree looked down into the valley below where busy men and women worked in a busy town. "I don't want to leave the mountain top at all. I want to grow so tall that when people stop to look at me, they'll raise their eyes to heaven and think of God. I will be the tallest tree in the world."

Years passed. The rain came, the sun shone, and the little trees grew tall.

One day three woodcutters climbed the mountain.

The first woodcutter looked at the first tree and said, "This tree is beautiful. Itis perfect for me." With a swoop of his shining axe, the first tree fell.

"Now I shall be made into a beautiful chest, I shall hold wonderful treasure!" The first tree said.

The second woodcutter looked at the second tree and said, "This tree is strong. It is perfect for me." With a swoop of his shining axe, the second tree fell.

"Now I shall sail mighty waters!" thought the second tree. "I shall be a strong ship for mighty kings!"

The third tree felt her heart sink when the last woodcutter looked her way. She stood straight and tall and pointed bravely to heaven. But the woodcutter never even looked up. "Any kind of tree will do for me." He muttered. With a swoop of his shining axe, the third tree fell.

The first tree rejoiced when the woodcutter brought her to a carpenter's shop.
But the carpenter fashioned the tree into a feed box for animals. The once beautiful tree was not covered with gold, with treasure. She was coated with saw dust and filled with hay for hungry farm animals.

The second tree smiled when the woodcutter took her to a shipyard, but no mighty sailing ship was made that day. Instead the once strong tree was hammered and sawed into a simple fishing boat. She was too small and too weak to sail to an ocean, or even a river; instead she was taken to a little lake.

The third tree was confused when the woodcutter cut her into strong beams and left her in a lumberyard. "What happened?" The once tall tree wondered. "All I ever wanted was to stay on the mountain top and point to God..."

Many many days and night passed. The three trees nearly forgot their dreams.

But one night, golden starlight poured over the first tree as a young woman placed her newborn baby in the feed box. "I wish I could make a cradle for him." her husband whispered. The mother squeezed his hand and smiled as the starlight shone on the smooth and the sturdy wood. "This manger is beautiful." she said.

And suddenly the first tree knew he was holding the greatest treasure in the world.

One evening a tired traveler and his friends crowded into the old fishing boat. The traveler fell asleep as the second tree quietly sailed out into the lake. Soon a thundering and thrashing storm arose. The little tree shuddered. She knew she did not have the strength to carry so many passengers safely through with the wind and the rain.

The tired man awakened. He stood up, stretched out his hand, and said, "Peace." The storm stopped as quickly as it had begun.
And suddenly the second tree knew he was carrying the king of heaven and earth.

One Friday morning, the third tree was startled when her beams were yanked from the forgotten woodpile. She flinched as she was carried through an angry jeering crowd. She shuddered when soldiers nailed a man's hands to her.

She felt ugly and harsh and cruel. But on Sunday morning, when the sun rose and the earth trembled with joy beneath her, the third tree knew that God's love had changed everything. It had made the third tree strong.

And every time people thought of the third tree, they would think of God.

That was better than being the tallest tree in the world.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Patrick

Patrick was a normal boy;
about to turn seventeen.
He went to church and FCA
and lived the "Christian Dream"

He wanted to be a doctor,
so he did well in school.
He was the star quarterback
and was considered really cool.

He decided that for his birthday,
which was on a Sunday,
He'd have his party one day early.
He wouldn't miss church that way.

Well, Saturday rolled around
and he went to Kevin's house.
That's where he had his party;
he had a lot of friends come out.

There was food and dancing.
He was having a great time.
When he was offered a beer.
He didn't decline.

He took one beer
and then another.
He wasn't thinking like a Christian
and neither were the others.

About 11:45 he was on his way home. 15 minutes before he'd be 17; it wasn't very long! He lost control of the car and hit an old oak tree. The bad news is that Patrick Didn't Live to be 17! -

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
An Unexpected Moment

It was hard to watch her fail. Physically she was growing
thinner and more stooped.

Mentally she was losing her ability
to sort out reality. Initially, my grandmother had railed
angrily against the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease that were
eroding who she had always been.

Eventually, the anger gave way to frustration and then
resignation.

My grandmother had always been a strong woman.
She had a career before it was common for women to have careers.
She was independent.

In her eighties, she was still dragging
out her stepladder every spring to wash all the windows in her
house. She was also a woman with a deep faith in God.

As my grandmother lost her ability to live alone, my father
moved her into his home. Grandchildren and great-grandchildren
were often in the house.

She seemed to enjoy being surrounded
by the noise and activity of a large, extended family.

As she slipped further away from us mentally, my grandmother
would occasionally have moments of lucidity when she knew where
she was and recognized everyone around her.

We never knew what
prompted those moments, when they would occur or how long they
would last.

Toward the end of her life she became convinced that her mother
had knit everything she owned. "Mama knit my boots," she would
tell strangers, holding up a foot clad in galoshes.

"Mama knit
my coat," she would say with a vacant smile as she zipped up her
raincoat. Soon we were putting on her boots for her and helping
her zip up her coat.

During my grandmother's last autumn with us, we decided to take
a family outing.

We packed up the cars and went to a local fair
for a day of caramel apples, craft booths and carnival rides.
Grandma loved flowers, so my dad bought her a rose.

She carried
it proudly through the fair, stopping often to breathe in its
fragrance.

Grandma couldn't go on the carnival rides, of course, so she sat
on a bench close by and waited while the rest of the family
rode.

Her moments of lucidity were now a thing of the past
having eluded her for months, but she seemed content to sit and
watch as life unfolded around her.

While the youngest members of the family ran, laughing to get in
line at the next ride, my father took my grandmother to the
nearest bench.

A sullen-looking young woman already occupied
the bench but said she wouldn't mind sharing the bench.
"Mama knit my coat," my grandmother told the young woman as she
sat down.

We didn't let my grandmother out of our sight, and when we came
back to the bench to get her, the young woman was holding the
rose.

She looked as though she had been crying. "Thank you for
sharing your grandmother with me," she said. Then she told us
her story.

She had decided that day was to be her last on
Earth. In deep despair and feeling she had nothing to live for,
she was planning to go home and commit suicide.

While she sat on that bench with Grandma as the carnival noises
swirled around them, she found herself pouring out her troubles.

"Your grandmother listened to me," the young woman informed us.
"She told me about a time in her own life, during the
Depression, when she had lost hope.

She told me that God loved
me and that He would watch over me and would help me make it
through my problems.

She gave me this rose. She told me that
my life would unfold just like this rose and that I would be
surprised by its beauty. She told me my life was a gift. She
said she would be praying for me."

We stood, dumbfounded, as she hugged my grandmother and thanked
her for saving her life. Grandma just smiled a vacant smile and
patted her arm.

As the young woman turned to leave, she waved
good-bye to us. Grandma waved back and then turned to look at
us, still standing in amazement.

"Mama knit my hat," she said.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You Can Buy

You can buy a man's time;
you can buy his physical presence at a given place;
you can even buy a measured number of his skilled muscular
motions per hour.

But you can not buy enthusiasm...
you can not buy loyalty...
you can not buy
the devotion of hearts, minds, or souls.

You must earn those.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Poem From A New Christian

How do I know you're the one? How do I see as you see? How do I believe? I want what she has, she's always happy. Even when things go wrong. I want that. God if you are real, help me see, know ,and believe in you. There's so much I don't understand. This is the first time I've been o this church and I'm nervous.

During alter call I was scared. If I give my life to you, it will be when I'm ready. I will be strong and will know when I hear.....What did the pastor say? Oh, yes, that small voice calling my name. I haven't heard it, but I am feeling drawn to go to church next Sunday.

Sunday morning is now here. I'd rather stay home and sleep, but something rouses me to my feet. I anticipate the service and sit in the back corner like last Sunday. Then I heard something that was in my mind.

A small voice that sounded unfamiliar. It wasn't my consciousness, but I knew it was God. I can't tell you how I knew....I just knew. His voice kept saying that I need to choose...and choose now.

But God, why would you want me. I chose to sleep around and to kill my brother. I chose to disobey every authority set by me. I chose to put needles in my body.

Why do you care what I choose? I felt His hand touch my cheek and wipe my tears away and just say "I love you. I loved you then and love you now. You are my child. Come home" Tears streamed down my face and cannot tell this story w/o bursting into tears. All I know is that I was lost and now I'm found. Amen

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Right Now

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, REDEEMING THE TIME, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:15-16

Just how important is the time at hand? Here's how important...

Right now God is at work.
Right now you could be too.
Right now Heaven is a great place to live.
Right now someone needs to know you care.
Right now you should be witnessing.
Right now someone you know needs Jesus.
Right now Jesus is preparing a place for you.
Right now people need the Lord.
Right now the rich man is still in hell.
Right now don't take that lightly.
Right now the rapture is drawing nearer.
Right now is the time for salvation.
Right now do you need to repent?
Right now just praise the Lord!
Right now is a great time to pray.
Right now is a wonderful time to read the Word.
Right now listen to what the Spirit is saying to you.
Right now obey Him.
Right now worship the Lord Jesus.
Right now are you thankful for salvation?
Right now God is blessing you.
Right now are you still with me?
Right now someone is dying and headed for heaven.
Right now someone is dying and headed for hell.
Right now you can make a difference.
Right now will you?
Right now do you get the picture?
Right now you should be living for Jesus.
Right now are you?
Right now tell someone you love them.
Right now call your mom.
Right now send an encouraging note.
Right no eternity seems like a really long time.
Right now you know what?...it is!
Right now don't waste time.
Right now don't miss your opportunity.
Right now you're either serving Christ or not.
Right now share Jesus with your family.
Right now share Jesus with your friends.
Right now share Jesus with your neighbors.
Right now share Jesus with your co-workers.
Right now just share Jesus!
Right now am I getting through?
Right now is only here once.
Right now don't blow it.
Right now think about that for just a moment.
Right now revival could come.
Right now it will if we seek the Lord.
Right now send out a prayer.
Right now is when you should live for Jesus.
Right now I'm proud to be a Christian.
Right now are you?
Right now praise the Lord.
Right now have faith in whatever hardship you face.
Right now trust Jesus.
Right now He's your friend.
Right now share Jesus.
Right now I just can't stress that enough.
Right now stand up for Jesus.
Right now grace is still amazing.
Right now are you listening?
Right now is anybody out there?
Right now there is kingdom work to be done.
Right now are you willing to work?
Right now can God count on you?
Right now don't let someone spend eternity with him because you didn't tell them about Jesus.
Right now I'm looking forward to heaven.
Right now will I see you there?
Right now did I mention "share Jesus?"
Right now God loves you!
Right now how does that make you feel?
Right now there is no time to waste.
Right now you can change someone's life.
Right now you can encourage someone.
Right now you can minister the Gospel.
Right now will you?
Right now nothing matters but Jesus!

Christian, wanna make a difference? Wanna be like the Lord? Wanna witness? Wanna please Jesus Christ? Wanna be useful to the Kingdom? Do it...RIGHT NOW!

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From A Pastor's Wife

My husband and I started a church two years ago, and have had
many twists and turns during that time (not including the 30+
years in ministry).

We've experienced great joy, as well as
great sorrow. We feel He is leading us to let go of this
ministry (we've taken this congregation as far as we can)
and seek another ministry.

We haven't been paid in many months, and it was only through a
generous gift of an ex-member (a family who moved away) that his
pay was partially caught up.

I know all the sayings, "It's
darkest just before dawn...there is no temptation too great...",
but it can be discouraging when you're coming up to a twist and
can't see the road ahead.

We have listened for that still small voice. So far, He has not
opened another door of ministry, although we've been actively
searching. I recently read that "The waiting doesn't seem so
long after it's accomplished."

And it really isn't about the money,.but money in a church can
be a symptom of another problem. And you DO need money to live.

Fortunately, my husband has been a good steward of what the Lord
has provided in 30 years of ministry. We still own our home and
eat healthy.

I'm reminded of a line in "Out of Africa" when Meryl Streep's
character comments, "God made the earth round so that we
could not see too far down the road."

My husband and I struggle daily, attempting to "pump up tires,
and put out fires." He's never missed being with a family
member before surgery, no matter what time of the day or night
it was.

He's been called to counsel at truly ungodly hours.
He's listened to people who separate, divorce or just fight
because they can't say 2 phrases:

#1-- I love you, and

#2-- I forgive you (or will you forgive me).

Please encourage your pastor and his family. They love you and
pray for you daily. They have spent their lives in service to
you and need your care. Some of them are at the end of their
ropes.

We still wait and listen for that still small voice. Today, it came in the form of an encouragement and thank God for it.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Shake It Off & Step Up

A parable is told of a farmer who owned an old mule. The mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer heard the mule 'braying' ... what else would a mule do! After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving.

Instead, he called his neighbors together and told them what had happened ... and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery. Initially, the old mule was hysterical!

But as the farmer and his neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back ... a thought struck him. It suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back ... HE SHOULD SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP! This he did, blow after blow. "Shake it off and step up ... shake it off and step up ... shake it off and step up," he repeated to encourage himself.

No matter how painful the blows, or distressing the situation seemed the old mule fought "panic" and just kept right on SHAKING IT OFF AND STEPPING UP! You're right! It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted, STEPPED TRIUMPHANTLY OVER THE WALL OF THE WELL!

What seemed like it would bury him, actually blessed him ... all because of the manner in which he handled his adversity.

THAT'S LIFE! If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity ... the adversities that come along to bury us usually have within them the potential to benefit and bless us!

Remember that FORGIVENESS, FAITH, PRAYER, PRAISE, and HOPE ... all are excellent ways to "SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP" out of the wells in which we find ourselves! This story reminded me of life. The dirt is a symbolism of the tests and trials that we go through in life. The stepping up is the symbolism of growing and learning from our life experiences.