• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.

Missionary

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

Many people have quoted this verse wrongly in defence of the importance of money as a lubricant to the economy. In most cases, the word "love of money" is left out when quoting the Bible for argument purposes.

Any student of economics or business will vouch for the importance of wanting money ..... be it as a motivation for a better life or as a necessary 'push factor' for the betterment of mankind.

In the quantity theory of money (for illustrative purposes),

MV = PQ (where M = amount of money in circulation, V = transactions velocity of money, P = general price level, Q = real value of final expenditures)

Well, at the moment, money is essential for the running of the economy (till the ECB's and the FED's monetary easing devalues fiat currency to worthless, we may revert back to gold or even barter trade). From the equation above, the more the merrier .... to simplistically explain it.

In the book of Proverbs, many verses deal with money and its accumulation. Examples are:

Proverbs 13:11 - Dishonest money dwindles away, but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow

Proverbs 21: 17 - He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never become rich.

Proverbs 28:19 - He who works his land will have abundant food, but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty.

Proverbs 30:25 - Ants are creatures of little strength, yet they store up their food in the summer;

These are teachings about wisdom in dealing with hard work, wisdom in restraint, the need to save and the futility of thinking big but not putting in the effort.

While the Bible preaches hard work, wisdom not to be obsessed with wealth and in showing restraint .... the world preaches a different thing.

Let us look at the words spoken by Gordon Gekko of the movie "Wall Street" Please pardon me if i missed out some of the words. I memorized the speech many years back when I was in awe of this movie:

"Greed for the lack of a better word ..... is good. Greed is works. Greed cuts through and captures the essence evolutionary spirit ......Greed for love, for knowledge ..... will mark the upward surge of mankind .......and save the malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A. ...."

And this greed was clearly manifested in demise of the 'real' Wall Street in New York and in Europe currently. The amount of Collaterized Debt Obligations (CDOs) artificially created by using derivatives was at least 200 times the amount of real debts available at that time. And see where this 'greed' by the investment bankers have brought us to ?

This 'greed' ..... is what the verse is referring to ...... the love of money. An obsession to the exclusion of everything else. To the exclusion of morality, the exclusion of conscience, of fair play ......

Nobody will argue with you on the importance of money. Christians and the rest of the western civilisation's work ethics are all based on the teachings of the Bible. The Jews are amongst the richest people around.

But when you attempt to bring out a verse of the Bible for argumentative sake, please quote it properly. It is the love of money that the Bible is warning about, and not just money.

The word 'love' should invoke an intense feeling of desire ... if you cannot picture it, just recall your first puppy love, and remember how intense it was and how obsessive you were about it ..... to the exclusion of food and sleep .......

Last edited:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
the love of money s nthing wrong dude, the culprit is

THE LACK OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVILS

Missionary

Alfrescian
Loyal

If anyone lacks money, the solution is to work for it.

Proverbs 28:19 - He who works his land will have abundant food, but the one who chases fantasies will have his fill of poverty.

cantbeassed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Money and religion usually do not mix and if they do, it's usually money that wins at the end of the day.

Missionary

Alfrescian
Loyal
As oppose to what many people think, God does not quite like fools.

Proverbs 1:22 - How long will you simple ones love your simple ways ? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge ?

Last edited:

REVELATION

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone lacks money, the solution is to work for it.

that is so true,no money?
don't be lazy,go out and look for a job!

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Craving for sensuality is a proximate cause for the arising of unskillful bodily, verbal and mental actions.

What good is money if it can't buy you things that gratify your five physical senses? Ultimately, it is not money that you love, but rather the pleasurable feelings that comes about through contact with those lovely objects that money affords you.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
No money, No heaven

0810_hell-hell-bible-jesus-god-stupid-atheist-christian-religion-demotivational-poster-1225312052.jpg

Missionary

Alfrescian
Loyal
No money, No heaven

0810_hell-hell-bible-jesus-god-stupid-atheist-christian-religion-demotivational-poster-1225312052.jpg

On the contrary, the probability of entering heaven is higher for the poor.

Matthew 19:23-24

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

James 2:5

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him ?

Last edited:

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Richest man (during his time) in the world gave away everything!!

[video=youtube;xz0ODZiKavs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0ODZiKavs[/video]

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary, the probability of entering heaven is higher for the poor.

Matthew 19:23-24

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

James 2:5

Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him ?

Bro Missionary,
You are very different from the radical xtians here. You can backup your claims with whatever facts, biblical or non-biblical.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
tualingong,
You have more than 1000 points in such a very short period! You bought or God's gift?

I also noticed, you edited you posts after I replied to them. Don't you think that is rather dishonest?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You are right and I agree.

There is a variation to the theme, and it goes something like "if a problem can be solved by money, it's not really a problem".

Well tell that to a patient who is facing a $100K bill.

People who make such statements are invariably those who lack the financial means to handle their own issues.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Money $ still matters a lot with God...

Joshua 6:23-25 The "harlot" Rahab, and her family were spared by the spies. They burned the city and everything in it except for the silver and gold, which was placed in the treasury in the house of God.

spudmania

Alfrescian
Loyal
the seven deadly sins (lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride) have to today became the 7 characteristics of success.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
The christianic god depicted in the holy(?) bible is like any of us. The 7 sins not just only mortal beings are capable of.

Ecclesiastes 10:19 Money Answers All Things

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the sin of lust:
Men do whatever they need to in order to gain money, to gain power, so they can get a more beautiful woman. Then they try and be their own God on earth with their money to control the women they lust for.