• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do we Bash the West?

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sigh. I don't want to comment on them.

But the western media did commit very big mistake when they link up the Olympics opening with the Communist rulers of China.

The Olympics show, was a musical, mega musical showcasing Chinese culture and roots which have for the past 100 years been buried and not exposed to the world for appreciation by the american and western powers. Hip hop, disco, rap, cowboy shows, WWI and WWII in the western front, and showing only west fights japs, etc were highlights of the past 100 years. The eastern versions and viewpoints were totally missing.

When the west started to use the culture show to bash the communists, they stepped into a pit they dug for themselves. Because, they are now bashing Chinese culture, and the newfound pride of not just 1.4 billion China Chinese, but also of the few hundred millions of overseas borned Chinese who are starting to rediscover themselves and hold their head high against the whites.

The west are too shallow to understand that. And now they will face the consequence of their mistake. Don't blame the Chinese if the west find themselves up against the natural enemies (muslims) and their FORMER ego stepping stones, the Chinese culture of 5,000 years.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing to bash.

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Story/STIStory_267808.html

Western media should stop China bashing

IT IS disturbing to read on Yahoo about the constant bombardments and negative reports by the Western media on the Beijing Olympics.

First, there was the claim by a Mr Chris Chase that part of the opening ceremony fireworks display was 'fake' and superimposed for TV viewers.

Then Mr Chase posted a photo of the Spanish basketball team posing with slant eyes, and called the Spaniards 'racists'. One can only wonder if he was angry and impartial, or merely amused by their antics.

If that was not enough, I read an article by a Ms Cara Anna about the 'dupe', where the pretty little girl at the opening ceremony apparently mimed the voice of another.

Then I heard on foreign radio a report that at many of the Games venues, China 'planted' spectators to fill the seats. What, may I ask, is wrong with that? Even Western show promoters fill seats at their mega concerts with free giveaway tickets.

All mere paper-selling stories? Or are they reported with a sinister tinge of envy? Needless to say, before the Olympic flame goes out, I will read and hear more such reports.

Regardless, I salute China for the great job it has done so far in its goal to achieve 'One world, one dream'. The opening ceremony was truly 'the greatest show on earth', as promised.

The best way for China to shut everyone up is to go on and win as many gold medals as possible, top the medal tally and reign supreme in sports, which is what the Olympics are supposed to be all about in the first place.

Khoo Kah Liang

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal

What you referring to when you say Singaporean childish.

---------------------------------

I read alot of web sites the day after the ceremony and saw alot of mix reviews from Western reports. And through the days, I have seen more negative reports, and culminating in this slanted eyes pic,and the little girl fiasco.

All in all, the ceremony was a huge success that westerners find it difficult to understand how they have not been able to do it all their lives, adn are now picking holes at it .... so what if the ger is not the one who sing .... I am only interested in waht I see .... am I interested in the cockups that I dont see to produce this greatest event on earth ... no.

I in fact am extremely glad that a certain S. Spielxxx decide to leave Mr Zhang on his own to direct the show ..... Kudos to Mr Zhang, and showing the westerners that Asians can be one up on them.

I empathise with the London organisers, who must be now scrambling like hell to make sure theirs equal if not better this performance .... haha, best of luck to them, I think they really need it ... maybe they can get S. Spielxx and see whether he can do a better job ....

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read alot of web sites the day after the ceremony and saw alot of mix reviews from Western reports. And through the days, I have seen more negative reports, and culminating in this slanted eyes pic,and the little girl fiasco.

All in all, the ceremony was a huge success that westerners find it difficult to understand how they have not been able to do it all their lives, adn are now picking holes at it .... so what if the ger is not the one who sing .... I am only interested in waht I see .... am I interested in the cockups that I dont see to produce this greatest event on earth ... no.

I in fact am extremely glad that a certain S. Spielxxx decide to leave Mr Zhang on his own to direct the show ..... Kudos to Mr Zhang, and showing the westerners that Asians can be one up on them.

I empathise with the London organisers, who must be now scrambling like hell to make sure theirs equal if not better this performance .... haha, best of luck to them, I think they really need it ... maybe they can get S. Spielxx and see whether he can do a better job ....

Bro, my point exactly. It is time the huge ang mo ego take a good look at themselves in the mirror. We are also heros, and they are as human as we are.

kitkat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Western media should stop China bashing

It is none of Mr Khoo Kah Liang's business. It is something between China and the Western media.

I no love China. So I tend not to symphatize with China or Mr Khoo Kah Liang. :biggrin:

Mr Khoo Kah Liang seems to be pro-China based on the letter. :rolleyes:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

nahh ... angmos are not like that ... they juz do their best and don't stress themselves up abt doing better than the next guy ... they juz do what they can, without a perfectionist streak ...

all those kiasu, 'ai mian zi' behaviors belong to old fashioned chinese like the PAP & communist china governments ... even HK & taiwan no longer behave this way ...

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
nahh ... angmos are not like that ... they juz do their best and don't stress themselves up abt doing better than the next guy ... they juz do what they can, without a perfectionist streak ...

all those kiasu, 'ai mian zi' behaviors belong to old fashioned chinese like the PAP & communist china governments ... even HK & taiwan no longer behave this way ...

Heh, you will be surprised.

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah lau, you another one, do not think that Kiasusim is a oriental trait or a Singapore trait ... it is a worldwide thingy, in no country are they not kiasu, they just dont call it kiasu, bcos kiasu is hokkien. :rolleyes:

FYI, reports abound fm western press themselves about London organisers problem hor ... what you think they mean, of course to be better than beijing lah.
I cant believe somebody can say Westerners are not Kiasu

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The way china did is utter disgrace. The west is right to bash china.

Anyone with a first world mind will know the way china use its 3rd world tatic is utterly disgrace.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, my point exactly. It is time the huge ang mo ego take a good look at themselves in the mirror. We are also heros, and they are as human as we are.

actually the so-called western (white) superiority complex is a response to egoistic chinese behaviors ... some traditional chinese can be very arrogant, chauvinistic & egoistic too ...

by & large, the whites (esp the celtics/nordics) are easygoing, laid back folks ... who love nature & beer ... music, and having a good time ...

the mediterranean types & the jews are different though - uptight, bad tempered, matriachal (ie. their women are feministic) ...

well, different races have their own shortcomings ... and the chinese also have problem with ego, not just the westerners ...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wah lau, you another one, do not think that Kiasusim is a oriental trait or a Singapore trait ... it is a worldwide thingy, in no country are they not kiasu, they just dont call it kiasu, bcos kiasu is hokkien. :rolleyes:

FYI, reports abound fm western press themselves about London organisers problem hor ... what you think they mean, of course to be better than beijing lah.
I cant believe somebody can say Westerners are not Kiasu

kiasuism is solely a chinese trait.

That is what you get when you held a worldwide event in a country that do not understand graciousness, they take all chances to shame themselves to the world.

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is none of Mr Khoo Kah Liang's business. It is something between China and the Western media.

I no love China. So I tend not to symphatize with China or Mr Khoo Kah Liang. :biggrin:

Mr Khoo Kah Liang seems to be pro-China based on the letter.

I dont think you are Chinese ... so you are excuse for saying the above.
We Chinese have to take it as slamming Chinese as a race ...
(whether we are Sporeans or .... )

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is what you get when you held a worldwide event in a country that do not understand graciousness, they take all chances to shame themselves to the world.

I suppose you have never seen Westerners or the other races rushing to Queues, when they are in front of alot of Asians, they will not do it, bcos they think they are high and almighty. When they are with their own kind ... it is like heck ....

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
We Chinese have to take it as slamming Chinese as a race ... (whether we are Sporeans or .... )

no, the olympics is held in beijing, not singapore ... i don't take the criticisms personally ... neither do i feel proud abt any success ...

the sad part is - there are similarities betw the two governments ... :o

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh, graciousness, hello, you are being ethnocentric ... this is their culture ... do not judge people using your own rules ... ie they have been spitting anywhere their entire lives ... and it is not considered ungracious over there, so how can you judge them based on your own rules.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

western media reported that the policemen look stern & unfriendly ... lighten up ! they say ...

i understand the need to maintain security amidst threats of terrorism ...

but theres a eerie similarity between the way mainland does things & s'pore govt way of doing things ... too serious & always wanting perfection ...

Temujin

Alfrescian
Loyal
no, the olympics is held in beijing, not singapore ... i don't take the criticisms personally ... neither do i feel proud abt any success ...

the sad part is - there are similarities betw the two governments ...

I understand where you are coming from, actually I am proud of the similarity ... ie the authocratic rule .... I believe things can only get done when the decision are made fast and decisively. No point letting people who are not qualified make decision. And I believe our govt sincerely believe what they do is for the good of the country as a whole and not for specific people. That is good enough for me.

I different from you feel proud that the Chinese can produce something that has made the Westerners jealous, thus all this bashing