• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why HDB so expensive? This is why...

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
mR8Q0.jpg

For the benefit of the non-Chinese readers, the top of the graph reads: HDB new flat supply

Mah Bow Tan should really an idiot for dramatically scaling down the flat supply from 2001 to 2010. Now others have to suffer for it.

Pinky damn smart to remove him, if not next election sure lose until underwear also dun have.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
It also increased the housing prices ten folds! win-win situation for existing HDB owners and the government!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That why I said it many time before MBT is the fucker causing HDB price to escalate.
Just do nothing collect $2million salary not included bonus/benefit/pension......
The best job in the world.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that Mah Bow Tan or his wife's families own plenty of flats in Singapore,and probably have mortage loans,that is why,now I know the reason,it is clear that this type of supply figures is not the work of an engineer,Colombo plan some more.Thank you,fat brother.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. fat kid!
2. not only the supply of flats make it more expensive.
3. new flats are pegged to the price of the resale market!
4. this also sucks big time.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property prices were actually quite stable for a decade since the last bubble burst in 1997.

Then suddenly huat ah! :wink:

HDB-resale-price-index-Q2-2012.jpg

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at ex-Minister Mah academic records;
1960 - 1966 HSC 'A' Levels (St Joseph's Institution)
1967 - 1973 M.Eng (University of New South Wales)
You believe Minister Mah B T can make such stupid mistake?

slohand2

Alfrescian
Loyal
my take is like this......Right after the Asian financial crisis, the HDB was left with a huge backlog of unsold flats. Then, they building flats and meet demand, which was understandably slow post crisis. If it serves me correctly, they made attempts to flog off the unsold units, like merging two 3-rooms units into jumbo flats in Woodlands to lure buyers. The scaling down also complemented with BTOs which means they only build when there is a demand. To me this is in a way to punish buyers who are deemed to be choosy due to the over supply. Along the way, some smart demographic planner felt the need to boost the population and GDP and like they say the rest is history.

I tend to agree with forummers that surely MBT knows the demand, but his pride got the better of him and the younger generation now feels the wrath of his policies. So, I think it is a question of being vindictive when he was made to look bad for a while after 1997. At least this is the version I have in my mind.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Getting rid of the PAP will also fix many other problems, other than high HDB prices:biggrin:

As long as the alternative parties are not tempted to copy the PAP:eek:

Dream on lah. You get rid of the white ones you'll still have the blue ones to contend with. PAP is Singapore. Always will be.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dream on lah. You get rid of the white ones you'll still have the blue ones to contend with. PAP is Singapore. Always will be.

Always? I wont bet on that. Things will be alot clearer after GE 2016 and GE 2021. PAP policies if they continue, will not survive the wrath of the ppl.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When Sporeans do wake up & decide to get rid of the PAP. They will be in no mood for another world class gov't like the PAP. I suspect you'll will have a less gullible citizenry who will be more suspicious of gov't.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal

The blues? LTK as PM? Chinese educated ah pek that looks & talks like a chicken rice seller and have a brain the size of a dog's balls? Then we will be Truly fucked.

I will stick with PAP.

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
my take is like this......Right after the Asian financial crisis, the HDB was left with a huge backlog of unsold flats. Then, they building flats and meet demand, which was understandably slow post crisis. If it serves me correctly, they made attempts to flog off the unsold units, like merging two 3-rooms units into jumbo flats in Woodlands to lure buyers. The scaling down also complemented with BTOs which means they only build when there is a demand. To me this is in a way to punish buyers who are deemed to be choosy due to the over supply. Along the way, some smart demographic planner felt the need to boost the population and GDP and like they say the rest is history.

I tend to agree with forummers that surely MBT knows the demand, but his pride got the better of him and the younger generation now feels the wrath of his policies. So, I think it is a question of being vindictive when he was made to look bad for a while after 1997. At least this is the version I have in my mind.

Agree, but i would like to take this a-little further and ask, If he knew about the strong demand and of cos he would have also knew about the supply available at every single second, Why didn't he do anything? I honestly don't think it has got anything to do with pride, as i honestly believe that he is not the person with the final say. Maybe something more sinister?

slohand2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree, but i would like to take this a-little further and ask, If he knew about the strong demand and of cos he would have also knew about the supply available at every single second, Why didn't he do anything? I honestly don't think it has got anything to do with pride, as i honestly believe that he is not the person with the final say. Maybe something more sinister?

Singaporeans are frustrated and they feel that the Govt is deaf or dumb to the ground. I prefer to defer from this conclusion. They are all as smart as you can get them, and they know. As for things beyond what I think, its best left for the people to decide.

There are only 2 outcomes, either they are aware of their actions (include being sinister), or, they actually believe that what they are doing is for the absolute good for the nation. I do not rule out the second scenario, as it is almost impossible to have the whole cabinet, not to say the entire PAP MPs, having the same opinions on policies when the nation is writhing in pain. To parrot the same rationale, even though how ridiculous it may sound to us,
is just too uncanny.

The whole cabinet are like "zombies", regurgitating the same messages, even to the words itself, (trendy one is to calibrate) scares the shit out of me.

jw5

Loyal
There are only 2 outcomes, either they are aware of their actions (include being sinister), or, they actually believe that what they are doing is for the absolute good for the nation.

There are actually 2 other options/outcomes which you have not considered:

3. They are so oblivious due to too many years of being in power, living the good life and having silver spoons in their mouths (for some) and so sheltered from reality that they lack any semblance of empathy or compassion at all.

4. They have been inculcated for so long with a mindset and behaviour that is not in line with the objective/purpose of government, which should be to make the lives of ordinary people better.