• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Assassins - good movie to watch ?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
soft1e.jpg

ST_20120927_ASS_8H3TX_3315675e.jpg

Megastar Chow Yun Fat kickstarted director Zhao Linshan's film, The Assassins, when he agreed to star in it

A first-time film-maker directs a big-budget picture featuring not just Chow Yun Fat but also top-notch talent such as Zhang Yimou's cinematographer, Zhao Xiaoding. How is it even possible?

Incredible as it sounds, it did happen and the movie, The Assassins, opens in Singapore....Any brothers here would like to share his comments on this movie? Thank you...:smile:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
20120927.092736_caocao.jpg

The meaty role of warlord Cao Cao is anchored by the acting prowess of the film's iconic star, Chow Yun Fat, who, with his age and experience, fits the role to a T.

What's less conventional is how the story uses a female character, Ling Ju (Liu Yifei), to take on the task of narration as she witnesses history in the making.

We first see young Ling Ju being rounded up with her childhood pal, Mu Shun, and forced to learn martial arts alongside other orphans in a military boot camp.

The purpose of this clandestine venture is to train the children of Cao Cao's dead enemies so that, in time to come, they can carry out the assassination of Cao Cao.

Ling Ju and Mu Shun (Tamaki Hiroshi) later infiltrate Bronze Sparrow Tower, where the ageing Cao Cao resides.

As Cao Cao's favourite palace maid, she realises that there may be others who are similarly thirsting for his blood.

There is Emperor Xian (Alec Su), a puppet ruler under Cao Cao's control, who may have some dirty tricks up his sleeve, even though he appears more interested in artistic pursuits over his kingdom's affairs.

Then, there is Cao Pi (Qiu Xinzhi), Cao Cao's son, who is eyeing the throne with great impatience.

Liu, previously seen in A Chinese Ghost Story (2011), impresses with her beauty and elegance.

More importantly, her character serves as a counterpoint to Cao Cao's steely demeanour, while occasionally bringing out his tenderer side.

The relationship between Ling Ju and Cao Cao reminds me of the danger and deception lurking beneath the tumultuous affair between the characters played by Tony Leung and Tang Wei in Lust, Caution (2007), though on a less-intense level.

As Ling Ju gets to know Cao Cao better, she can't help feeling a surge of admiration and affection but, ultimately, her heart belongs to Mu Shun.

So, it's a significant flaw that Hiroshi is miscast in his role here, and viewers would likely find it hard to accept the bond between the two onscreen lovers.

Except for a couple of sequences that feel a little fake due to the use of computer graphics, The Assassins boasts impressive sets, costumes and production values, backed by cinematographer Zhao Xiaoding and art director Yohei Taneda.

If you're hankering for non-stop majestic battle scenes, you'd be disappointed.

This film focuses more on Cao Cao's character, his inner turmoil and the secret conspiracies brewing around him.

Wang Bin, who co-wrote Hero (2002) and House Of Flying Daggers (2004), steers clear of melodrama in his screenplay, while conjuring tension in outlining Cao Cao's relationships with Ling Ju, Cao Pi and Emperor Xian.

Expect a more positive portrayal, compared to Cao Cao's vilification in the Chinese literary classic, Romance Of The Three Kingdoms.

It's to Chow's credit that his complicated character's internal conflict - between nobility, passion and loneliness, as well as the traits of suspicion and ruthlessness - is brought out masterfully.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tumblr_m9rwkor5xh1qij3qwo2_1280.jpg

The-Assassins-posters-1.jpg

CHINA: Chinese actress-singer Liu Yi Fei, also known as Crystal Liu, has stripped off her girl-next-door image - -literally.

Revealing that she isn't conservative, the former 'jade girl' put words into action with a nude scene in "The Assassins", a historical film that focuses on the later years of Han Dynasty warlord Cao Cao.

"I think I'm a strong person. Although there are moments when I am shy, but when I think about it, it's just a phase. I'm actually quite open" said the actress in a recent interview.

"The director was afraid that I couldn't relax… but I myself knew that I won't be influenced by others".

The actress who also co-starred with Jet Li and Jackie Chan in "The Forbidden Kingdom", plays the dual roles of 'Diao Chan' and 'Ling Ju' in the film that opened Thursday.

"I care more about the scenes involving 'Mu Shun' " she said of the film character that she has to relate to in her role as 'Ling Ju', explaining that the pair share a special bond since a tender age.

The first instalment of a planned trilogy, "The Assassins" follows a pair of young lovers Mu Shun (Hiroshi Tamaki) and Ling Ju (Liu) who undergo training in a prisoner-of-war camp to become assassins.

The duo later undertake a secret mission against the Chinese warlord Cao Cao (Chow Yun-Fat) who is rumoured to be planning to overthrow the emperor.

The film's Chinese title, translated as "Bronze Sparrow Platform", is a reference to a terrace of the same name constructed by Cao Cao during the Eastern Han Dynasty after defeating rival warlords to gain supremacy in northern China.

Directed by Chinese director Zhao Lin Shan, the film also stars singer-actor Alec Su and Taiwanese singer-actress Annie Yi.

- CNA/fl

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am no fan of Hong Kong stars.
China has plenty of great unknown actors and would have made this film more watchable.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tolong lah...........................still not tired of all these movies meh ?

all the same lah................the market sick of all these similar movies liao.............

akunei

Alfrescian
Loyal
soft1e.jpg

ST_20120927_ASS_8H3TX_3315675e.jpg

Megastar Chow Yun Fat kickstarted director Zhao Linshan's film, The Assassins, when he agreed to star in it

A first-time film-maker directs a big-budget picture featuring not just Chow Yun Fat but also top-notch talent such as Zhang Yimou's cinematographer, Zhao Xiaoding. How is it even possible?

Incredible as it sounds, it did happen and the movie, The Assassins, opens in Singapore....Any brothers here would like to share his comments on this movie? Thank you...:smile:

earlier this year there was this movie by leon lai and liu yifei about liu bei and chu ba wang. i cant remember the name of the movie but it was good.
i think the story a bit similiar with the assasins. both about warlords.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tolong lah...........................still not tired of all these movies meh ?
all the same lah................the market sick of all these similar movies liao.............

the Chinese make it for her own market. this movie is likely the better one this year. the rest, you will never hear of it.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have to agree on that,,,but in general even Chow Yun Fat mandarin is bad,,they should just stick to cantonese shows,,,i feel these people are traitors bending backwards to northern mandarin speaking scum,,

It is worst if it is mandarin speaking crap with jackie chan acting.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It will be worse if it were dubbed in English. It will look like thrash - chop suay.

yes, nothing like the original version of classic chinese....words like bullets in cyberspace can kill...it does not mean that the more troops you have, you will win the battle....you need skill, strategy and brains.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yes, nothing like the original version of classic chinese....words like bullets in cyberspace can kill...it does not mean that the more troops you have, you will win the battle....you need skill, strategy and brains.

None of which are especially attributed to you fucktard :smile: