• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY: FTs can take own sweet time to adapt, but sinkies must face change constantly

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners will be taken in at 'comfortable pace'

20120927.091251_cbd.jpg

By Gwendolyn Ng
my paper
Thursday, Sep 27, 2012

Foreigners will be taken in at a pace that Singaporeans are comfortable with, said former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew yesterday.

Speaking at a dialogue during the Russia-Singapore Business Forum, Mr Lee noted that there have been many complaints from Singaporeans "who see a large number of foreign faces on trains and buses".

"And they say, 'Look, I'm being squeezed out of my country'," he said.

Still, he highlighted the need to bring in foreign workers to meet the shortage of manpower, albeit at a slower pace.

Mr Lee was speaking to about 700 delegates, mostly from Russia and Singapore, at the forum held at the Sands Expo and Convention Centre in Marina Bay Sands.

He reiterated the importance for countries to grow their population, when asked for his take on China's one-child policy.

Explaining how a diminishing population will place a heavy burden on young people to support an older generation, he said that such a phenomenon also "reduces the vitality and dynamism of the people".

"It is the young who buy new gadgets, like iPhones or Android (phones), not old people like me. If you have a shortage of young people, you will have a shortage of customers for new gadgets, new advances," he pointed out.

On his advice for youth here, Mr Lee said: "We tell them to expect change, rapid change... Every day, every week, every month, every year, we undergo change."

And although communication through technology may improve with time, Mr Lee feels that it will never equal a face-to-face meeting.

He said that in an online meeting over Skype or Chatbook, it is possible to see the colour of another person's face and note if it flinches at certain thoughts, ideas and proposals.

"(But) it's not quite the same when you sit down face to face and you can see him sweat."

[email protected]

Get my paper for more stories.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: LKY: FTs can take own sweet time to adapt, but sinkies must face change constantl

"(But) it's not quite the same when you sit down face to face and you can see him sweat."

The old man expects people to sweat when they speak to him?!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: LKY: FTs can take own sweet time to adapt, but sinkies must face change constantl

The old man expects people to sweat when they speak to him?!

lost his wife and kenna sack by his son, so he's going through an existential crisis

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng wana know what is a comfortable pace - walking, jogging or running pace?:biggrin:

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

maybe off topic but i was paying for some stuff at a neighbourhood type provision shop,
some PRC woman kept interrupting the cashier to ask whether this product was shampoo, another 10 secs, ask again, is this hair gel.. it went on and on coz she could not read the labels on the products

last week was at ikea , and another pRC holding up the queue, coz cannot speak english. expect the singaporean malay girl to understand her.... i told her to her face, that if she wants to work in this country, she should have the bloody decency to learn english

Last edited:

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

On his advice for youth here, Mr Lee said: "We tell them to expect change, rapid change... Every day, every week, every month, every year, we undergo change."

But he doesn't like the political landscape changing in singapore.

jw5

Loyal

Even lao hero also interested when they are taken in? :biggrin:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

maybe off topic but i was paying for some stuff at a neighbourhood type provision shop,
some PRC woman kept interrupting the cashier to ask whether this product was shampoo, another 10 secs, ask again, is this hair gel.. it went on and on coz she could not read the labels on the products

last week was at ikea , and another pRC holding up the queue, coz cannot speak english. expect the singaporean malay girl to understand her.... i told her to her face, that if she wants to work in this country, she should have the bloody decency to learn english

People speak English in this cuntry? :eek: