• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Archbishop Nicholas Chia withdraws letter to abolish ISA

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Catholic Archbishop withdraws letter to abolish ISA
Published on Sep 20, 2012

By Tessa Wong

archbishop1e.jpg

Archbishop Nicholas Chia said he withdrew the letter because he feared it could affect Singapore's social harmony -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

The head of the Catholic Church in Singapore has confirmed that he wrote to an activist group backing its call to abolish the Internal Security Act (ISA) - but withdrew the letter later fearing it could affect the country's social harmony.

Archbishop Nicholas Chia, 73, on Wednesday said he had retracted the letter to Function 8 after he reflected on it and became concerned it could be used "in a manner that I did not intend"

The response came a day after blogger Alex Au wrote on his site Yawning Bread that the Archbishop had written to Function8 ahead of an anti-ISA rally in June.

Mr Au said he had not seen the letter, but heard it was "warmly-worded" and that it expressed support for the rally and the call for the ISA to be abolished.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Archbishop Nicholas Chia responds to Au's blog post

Updated 12:04 AM Sep 20, 2012

The head of the Catholic Church in Singapore, Archbishop Nicholas Chia, has responded to a blog post suggesting he was pressured into retracting a letter he had sent in support of a rally against the Internal Security Act. Blogger Mr Alex Au, in his post published on Tuesday, claimed that Archbishop Chia first sent a "warmly-worded" letter to rally organisers Function 8 and Maruah, but later, under pressure from the Government, sent them another letter to retract his original letter.

The statement, which TODAY obtained, did not address the allegation made by Mr Au, that Archbishop Chia's first letter was unsolicited, nor did it reveal the contents of both letters.

Here is the press statement from the Archbishop in full:

"I refer to the article by Mr Alex Au which he says is based on second hand information. Mr Au could only have obtained such an ccount from the group he referred to, with which I had communicated in private. I had earlier decided to withdraw my letter to this group as, on reflection, its contents did not accurately reflect my views on the subject, and if used in a manner that I did not intend, may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore. The group had acknowledged my decision and returned the letter to me.

The article by Au, which has appeared now, months later, confirms the correctness of my earlier decision to withdraw the letter so as not to inadvertently embroil the Catholic Church and the office of the Archbishop in a political event which was being staged by the group.

The Catholic Church has always maintained the position that it will not involve itself in political activities. We have always worked in harmony with the Government to contribute positively to society, rather than set ourselves on a collision path with the Government.

Au's article confirmed my fear that the group would use my letter in a manner that I did not agree with, and make use of the Office of the Archbishop and the Catholic Church for their own ends.

These irresponsible actions can easily cause serious misunderstanding between the Catholic Church and the Government, and damage the longstanding trust and cooperation between the two. It is most regrettable that Au and the group have acted in this manner."

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Archbishop slams Alex Au, anti-ISA rally organisers

showimageCC.aspx

by Teo Xuanwei
04:45 AM Sep 20, 2012

SINGAPORE - The head of the Catholic Church here has criticised a blogger and the organisers of a rally against the Internal Security Act (ISA) over a blog post which suggested that he was pressured by the Government into retracting a letter he had sent expressing support for the event.

The flap arose from Mr Alex Au's lengthy critique on his blog - posted on Tuesday - of what he described as the Government's "arm-twisting" of Archbishop Nicholas Chia.

Mr Au wrote that based on "second-hand" accounts, Archbishop Chia had sent a "warmly-worded" letter to the event organisers - civil society groups Function 8 and Maruah - only to later send a second letter to withdraw his statements, purportedly after pressure from the Government.

Archbishop Chia said yesterday that he had decided to withdraw his letter because "on reflection, its contents did not accurately reflect my views on the subject, and if used in a manner that I did not intend, may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore".

According to the statement that TODAY obtained, Archbishop Chia did not say what the contents of his original letter were, nor whether it was "unsolicited", as Mr Au had claimed.

Archbishop Chia said the organisers had acknowledged his decision at a private meeting and had returned his original letter.

The event was held on June 2 and was attended by about 400 people.

Noting that Mr Au could only have obtained the account from the organisers, Archbishop Chia said: "Au's article confirmed my fear that the group would use my letter in a manner that I did not agree with, and make use of the Office of the Archbishop and the Catholic Church for their own ends.

"These irresponsible actions can easily cause serious misunderstanding between the Catholic Church and the Government, and damage the long-standing trust and cooperation between the two. It is most regrettable that Au and the group have acted in this manner."

He added that the Catholic Church has always maintained the position that it will not involve itself in political activities.

Responding to TODAY's queries about his blog post, Mr Au said it is "the responsible thing to do to bring these hidden events to public attention".

"It shows Singaporeans the real workings behind the scenes," he added. Mr Au reiterated that he had not seen the contents of Archbishop Chia's letters. "I am receiving the reports from people whom I trust and who said they have already told many others the same story, except that no one has written about it before," he said.

When contacted, Function 8 - a social enterprise started by ex-ISA detainee Teo Soh Lung - and human rights group Maruah did not elaborate on the contents of Archbishop Chia's letters, except to say: "We had decided that for the time being, the best course of action was to seek an internal dialogue with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and other relevant bodies to seek clarifications on these matters, including our intention to hold forums on the ISA in future."

The MHA was unable to respond by press time to TODAY's queries on Mr Au's blog post.

Apart from Ms Teo, Function 8's shareholders include three other former political detainees - Ms Low Yit Leng, her husband Mr Tan Tee Seng, and Mr William Yap.

They were among the 22 people arrested in 1987 under the ISA for their involvement in what the Government called a Marxist conspiracy to seize power, and were held for between one month and three years.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether it is Archbishop Nichlolas or Archbishop Yong, the Catholic Church has never been able to stand up to the Singapore garment unlike the church in the Philippines.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Religion and politics cannot mix......your white masters say one

Can you imagine if people like Con Hee go into politics? Huat ah!

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
AlexAu006.jpg

got gay = got drama!!
poke backside not enough, wanna poke politics and religion also

Mr Au could only have obtained such an account from the group he referred to, with which I had communicated in private. I had earlier decided to withdraw my letter to this group as, on reflection, its contents did not accurately reflect my views on the subject, and if used in a manner that I did not intend, may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore. The group had acknowledged my decision and returned the letter to me.

The article by Au, which has appeared now, months later, confirms the correctness of my earlier decision to withdraw the letter so as not to inadvertently embroil the Catholic Church and the office of the Archbishop in a political event which was being staged by the group.

The Catholic Church has always maintained the position that it will not involve itself in political activities. We have always worked in harmony with the Government to contribute positively to society, rather than set ourselves on a collision path with the Government.

Au's article confirmed my fear that the group would use my letter in a manner that I did not agree with, and make use of the Office of the Archbishop and the Catholic Church for their own ends.

These irresponsible actions can easily cause serious misunderstanding between the Catholic Church and the Government, and damage the longstanding trust and cooperation between the two. It is most regrettable that Au and the group have acted in this manner."

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
If abolish ISA can get Archbishop to say something, maybe next time when Alex Au tries to lobby for the repeal of 377A, will he ask the Archbishop to say something too?

Separate religion and politics, this is the right thing to do.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chia is a wimp and totally balls-less! Don't know why he was chosen to lead the local Catholic church in the first place.

hillary888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Archbishop Chia said yesterday that he had decided to withdraw his letter because "on reflection, its contents did not accurately reflect my views on the subject, and if used in a manner that I did not intend, may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore".

The wise man builds his house on rock
Instead of sinking sand;
For when the storms of life descend,
That house will surely stand.

"Reproofs of instruction are the way of life" Proverbs 6:23

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What an idiot.
He screwed himself first, then got frighten and tried to salvaged it.
Now trying to blame others for his own "mistake".
Balls-less fucktard.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The more he says the deeper the hole 越描越黑.

Looks like to hole is getting deeper and bigger........

What the archbishop did not intend

Sometimes, people respond to a hole by digging a deeper one. Archbishop Nicholas Chia of the Catholic Church issued a press statement at around 10:30 pm last night in response to my post Lunch menu a 4-point letter. I only heard about it from reporters, and at the time of writing this, have not seen a copy of the press statement he issued.

According to the Straits Times:

The head of the Catholic Church in Singapore has confirmed that he wrote to an activist group backing its call to abolish the Internal Security Act (ISA) – but withdrew the letter later fearing it could affect the country’s social harmony.

Archbishop Nicholas Chia, 73, yesterday said he had retracted the letter to Function 8 after he reflected on it and became concerned it could be used “in a manner that I did not intend”.

[snip]

Last night, Archbishop Chia sent The Straits Times a one-page response, saying the fact that the incident had come to light confirmed his fears. “Au’s article confirmed my fear that the group would use my letter in a manner that I did not agree with, and make use of the Office of the Archbishop and the Catholic Church for their own ends,” he said.

He noted that Mr Au’s account could only have come from Function8, with which he had communicated in private.

He said he had decided to withdraw his letter after reflecting on it, “because if the letter were to be used in a manner that I did not intend, it may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore”.

Function8 acknowledged his decision and returned the Archbishop his letter, he added.

He said: “The article by Mr Au, which has appeared now, months later, confirms the correctness of my earlier decision to withdraw the letter so as not to inadvertently embroil the Catholic Church and the office of the Archbishop in a political event which was being staged by the group.”

– Straits Times, 20 September 2012, Archbishop clarifies retraction of letter to group, by Tessa Wong

Today newspaper reported likewise:

The head of the Catholic Church here has criticised a blogger and the organisers of a rally against the Internal Security Act (ISA) over a blog post which suggested that he was pressured by the Government into retracting a letter he had sent expressing support for the event.

The flap arose from Mr Alex Au’s lengthy critique on his blog – posted on Tuesday – of what he described as the Government’s “arm-twisting” of Archbishop Nicholas Chia.

[snip]

Archbishop Chia said yesterday that he had decided to withdraw his letter because “on reflection, its contents did not accurately reflect my views on the subject, and if used in a manner that I did not intend, may inadvertently harm the social harmony in Singapore”.

– Today, 20 September 2012, Archbishop slams Alex Au, anti-ISA rally organisers

He described as “irresponsible” my publication of the chronology of events and his assumption that it was Function 8 which told me about it.

“These irresponsible actions can easily cause serious misunderstanding between the Catholic Church and the Government, and damage the long-standing trust and cooperation between the two. It is most regrettable that Au and the group have acted in this manner,” he said in his press statement.

On the contrary, I think it is the responsible thing to do to expose these hidden events to public scrutiny. They show Singaporeans the inner workings of how our country is governed, and transparency is essential to a healthier democracy. The very fact that powerful forces would want these goings-on to be kept from the public eye is itself suspicious.

In addition, I had hoped through telling this story, to generate, inter alia, a debate about where citizens would like to draw the line between religious organisations and politics, and how that line is to be maintained. Going by the comments to the earlier article that have been received so far, I think a very civil discussion has indeed started.

So, when he says the exposure of those events “confirms the correctness of my earlier decision to withdraw the letter so as not to inadvertently embroil the Catholic Church and the office of the Archbishop in a political event which was being staged by the group”, it sounds a bit strange. After all, the point of my article was to raise the very same issue of whether or not a religious organisation should be lending voice to a political position. Do note that not only was the original letter supportive of the rally against detention without trial, his second letter said the organisers were free to tell the rally participants that the archbishop had sent a letter of support. What can he possibly mean when he now says that he was afraid of his first letter being used “in a manner that I did not intend”?

The chronology of events that I published indicated that it was the Internal Security Department that first planted the argument that the Church could be “used” by a group. This amazing possibility arose even when the group had not solicited the archbishop’s support in the first place.

I understand from reporters that nothing in his press statement contradicted my account of events.

Chia wrote about his fears of harming social harmony in Singapore. Is that not misplaced? Did he use offensive language against other religions, ethnic or social groups in his original (now withdrawn) letter? Not that I know of. The only “harmony” that might feel threatened by his now-retracted letter is the silence the government might want over its (mis)use of arbitrary arrest and detention without trial.

Alternatively, one could say the only “harmony” that might be put at risk is the take-for-granted support among Roman Catholics for the ruling party. After they hear of the shabby way the government treated the local head of the faith, maybe the flock won’t be so “harmonious” towards the ruling party anymore? Is that the “social disquiet” one fears? If so, who is it exactly who has reason to be anxious? The Church or the government?

Now, let me share with you a second chronology of events:

At about 7 pm last evening, several reporters called me when I was standing amidst 200 out-of-work foreign workers, all of them needing help and advice about their situation. Amidst the cacophony of twenty people trying to speak at the same time, two of the reporters asked me whether I could forward to them the email the archbishop had sent me, and what my comments to that email were.

What email? I asked. When I last checked my mailbox, around 6 pm, there was none from Nicholas Chia, and now I had no internet access. However, I promised them that I’d check and respond as soon as I got to a computer, though that might be after 10 pm.

In the end, it was 11 pm before I could get online (I tried to check my email on my ipad while on the train going home but our 3G service sucks). And still there was no email from Chia. So I told the reporters that I had received nothing. One reporter then said: Oh, the archdiocese has sent out a press statement instead, just half an hour earlier.

This chronology itself is highly suggestive of “interference”. The press was alerted in advance of a response by the archbishop. If indeed the archbishop intended to write me a private email, it would be most unusual for him to be publicising its future existence to the press beforehand. We can only wonder what he really intended as of the afternoon.

Or we can speculate that the earlier intention to send an email was overruled and recast as a press statement, a process that took several more hours to hammer out (and be agreed to by others?) before eventual release at 10:30 pm.

Maybe the reporters misheard? Maybe it wasn’t an email that the archbishop was drafting, but a press statement all along? It’s possible, but here’s the funny thing: Is the archbishop’s office so well organised for media publicity that it would be asking reporters at several newsrooms in different languages to stand by for a statement to be released later? Government departments do that routinely, but the archbishopric? Guess what? The archdiocese’s website doesn’t even have a section for containing its press statements (nor can the statement be found on its Facebook page – as at 9:45 am on Thursday 20 September 2012), and you expect me to believe they’re so well organised for media relations to be giving advance notice?

Given this sequence of events, and the earlier sequence of events as told in my previous article, it is very hard to know who makes up the archbishop’s mind for him. And that again, I think, is a matter of public interest and worthy of concerned discussion.