• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Setia Sky 88 community

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was chatting with a well-known, high profile property analyst in Singapore a few months ago. He is often featured in the news and has appeared in the media for some serious discussions on property matters.

He finds it hard to understand that if a person is so confident about Iskandar properties and yet is so afraid that Singapore might collapse in future, why then do they still hold onto their Singapore properties? He said, Sell them off, take the money and go buy properties in Johor! Why aren't they doing this?

I cannot agree more with him. Funny how some trashed Singapore properties, speak ill about the country being so restrictive, so small the flats, yet they actually have a stake in them!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend's en bloc case is only highlighted an example. Don't take it so rigidly. I am only trying to show how much in demand SG properties are.
I am still of the opinion that the government will eventually en bloc those older flats, but must be at least of 35 years and older. There is no point to retain them because they would have looked dilapidated and will not blend with the new environment adjacent to them. Also, the maintenance costs will keep escalating for the Town Councils.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know for a fact that some Jiak liao bee people in Civil service are actually paid per post they make on forums to achieve government agenda...LOL...that is the only way for them to keep their jobs perhaps that is why they write so furiously....PAP is best in propaganda and brainwashing people and now with the internet, they need to hire lots of such forum writers to win the people's hearts and votes to keep them in power...that is perhaps why some keep putting JB down...

Let me tell them and the government people reading this....people who buy JB usually have something that they are unhappy about the way things are run in Sg....but citizenship is something thay may or may not be able to give up so easily for various reasons....that is why we keep our properties in Sg Inc....as investments but MM2H gives us an option against PAP tyranny in so many aspects of our lives from COES to stupid stressful Heuristics developed by an idiotic Sgpn to torture students and parents...prob will be the cause of more Primary children jumping down in future...

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a great option for people who wanna retire early(like me) or who are retrenched (like my hubby)....no need to work and can still survive, why not? Mark my words, there will be more and more Sgpn, SPR, FT working in Sg relocating there in the years to come...
Nah.... to stay in JB and work in Singapore is too stressing unless they can make the daily border crossing a lot more easier. But this will not happen even with the RTS because you'll still see long queues at the passport control hall during the peak hours.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know for a fact that some Jiak liao bee people in Civil service are actually paid per post they make on forums to achieve government agenda...LOL...that is the only way for them to keep their jobs perhaps that is why they write so furiously....PAP is best in propaganda and brainwashing people and now with the internet, they need to hire lots of such forum writers to win the people's hearts and votes to keep them in power...that is perhaps why some keep putting JB down...

You must be delusional.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you bought your HDB at that time, I bet you were also saying "why so expensive?" 10, 15 years down the road, you should have a second opinion, especially if it's a new one directly from the HDB.

LOL! Very true! It was expensive then, now even more expensive. A new 5 room HDB was already close to $300K but it was {ironically!) at Woodlands and we felt that was too far to travel to work. We looked around for resale HDBs 5 room flats that were around $400K, before COV. We gave up and went for 4 room flat instead. We bought when prices were about to slide a bit in the late 90s and managed to find one selling below valuation. And we had to make sure we took full tenure loan and monthly instalment must be fully paid by CPF contribution as we planned to live on one income when kids come. So you see, just married, just started work….no money then to buy house at better location…and now many years later after kids enter the scene…still no money….si beh chum..

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really pity Setia threads always tio bombardments/put down. Just my 2cents worth. Nobody has a Crystal Ball can foretell future be it in SG/JB or anywhr in the World. As long as u have done due diligence, happy with your decisions, good enough. The rest are all just Noises. Part & Parcel of life esp on Forums.

:cool:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL! Very true! It was expensive then, now even more expensive. A new 5 room HDB was already close to $300K but it was {ironically!) at Woodlands and we felt that was too far to travel to work. We looked around for resale HDBs 5 room flats that were around $400K, before COV. We gave up and went for 4 room flat instead. We bought when prices were about to slide a bit in the late 90s and managed to find one selling below valuation. And we had to make sure we took full tenure loan and monthly instalment must be fully paid by CPF contribution as we planned to live on one income when kids come. So you see, just married, just started work….no money then to buy house at better location…and now many years later after kids enter the scene…still no money….si beh chum..
Don't forget that you are the lone person bringing in the monthly income. Otherwise, things would have been much different if both you and your wife have been working all these while. Of course, I do agree that circumstances would have prevented you this ideal arrangement.

Last edited:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
No point talking sense into him. He's very myopic in his view and doesn't have in-depth knowledge of how the Singapore properties evolutionize. I have already recovered the full cost of my HDB since being rented out from 2005, not to mention its current capital appreciation. No owners who had bought directly from the HDB would have lose money unless due to repossessions by the HDB, despite being a 99-year leasehold property. Like you said, the government is not stupid and will always upgrade them with en bloc. This is also a better means to upgrade the standard of living in Singapore as its people and the nation progresses and at the same time, I must also say that both the owners and the government are making money out of it. It's a win-win situation.

If the HDB has been such a useless tangible investment, why are some of those who buy properties in JB are in one way or another, having to thank their HDB for the recurring (rental) incomes to supplement their living costs and JB mortgages?

Also, there are others who will always complain about too many FTs in Singapore. Don't they ever think that if this sector of people will be drastically reduced, where are they going to get tenants for their rental properties? Not many Sinkies will rent unless those who are waiting for their new house/flats to be completed. So, in many ways, these people who always complain about too many FTs are foolishly shooting themselves in their own feet, especially if they are landlords themselves.

I am always of the opinion that what the Singapore government does is generally good for its people, albeit they also do make mistakes on certain of their policies on and off. If one is to disagree or disapprove, then must think of ways to circumvent it so as to make life easier for yourself.

Yup. So ironic isn't it? They complain about Singapore, why so crowded, why my flat so small, why I live like a beggar when I can have a much "better" life in JB.

Funny thing is, these people would rather tahan the jams at the causeway for hours every day. Why? Is this a better quality of life?

They still come in here to work. Why? If this country is so sucky, why bother working here?

They still own properties in Singapore. Why? If HDB flats here are so small, sell it lor! Get the money, live and work in JB, no need to wake up at unearthly hours and travel every day for hours. If you think Singapore is going to be doomed, quickly sell your properties and move the money to safer haven! Why still keep and salivate at "paper gains" only?

To me, when I see crowds, I see money! When I think of Singapore, I see money!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in JB is a very viable option for those in the middle class. But to stay in JB and yet continue to work in Singapore is a daily torture, unless all other avenues have run out.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is still safer to have a house in your home country in case of anything...simple reason....cannot understand? your analyst friend not very smart is he?

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in JB is a very viable option for those in the middle class. But to stay in JB and yet continue to work in Singapore is a daily torture, unless all other avenues have run out.

As mentioned, for people like me, who have flexible work arrangements and rel higher pay and for people who can work from home as is gonna get commoner with internet, it is very viable...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was chatting with a well-known, high profile property analyst in Singapore a few months ago. He is often featured in the news and has appeared in the media for some serious discussions on property matters.

He finds it hard to understand that if a person is so confident about Iskandar properties and yet is so afraid that Singapore might collapse in future, why then do they still hold onto their Singapore properties? He said, Sell them off, take the money and go buy properties in Johor! Why aren't they doing this?

I cannot agree more with him. Funny how some trashed Singapore properties, speak ill about the country being so restrictive, so small the flats, yet they actually have a stake in them!

I think the property analyst made a very immature remark and used a fallacious reasoning. By and large Singaporeans don’t hate living in Singapore, but we do like to complain and lament about how expensive things are, which is a fact. Being confident about JB also does not mean must give up HDB in Singapore. Being Singaporeans many still want to have a place to call home in Singapore. But just because some feel that things will get tougher in Singapore it does not mean therefore must sell away their HDB and buy JB. We are not talking about giving up Singapore citizenship so there’s no need to sell away HDB and migrate for good to JB.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Daily grind perhaps, but daily torture? I don't think so lah....and I ride bike some more. Everyone just have to count the cost for himself and make up his mind whether moving to JB and working in SG would work for him or her.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
As mentioned, for people like me, who have flexible work arrangements and rel higher pay and for people who can work from home as is gonna get commoner with internet, it is very viable...
The majority are not as lucky like you.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
but we do like to complain and lament about how expensive things are, which is a fact.
To be true to you, relatively if you are working and earning in Ringgits in JB, you will also complain that things in JB are also very expensive. You and I don't feel it is because our incomes are in S$. Do spare a thought for those living and working in JB. My neighbor has to wake up at 4.30 am to take her company bus to Kallang at 5.30am to work 12-hour shift from 7 am. Why? Because her pay is 3 times more than her last job in JB after conversion.

That is why after having stayed in JB for 6 years, I've learn to become more appreciative and grateful to the Singapore's style of governance. Before that, I was also cursing and swearing at most of the PAP policies.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be true to you, relatively if you are working and earning in Ringgits in JB, you will also complain that things in JB are also very expensive. You and I don't feel it is because our incomes are in S$. Do spare a thought for those living and working in JB. My neighbor has to wake up at 4.30 am to take her company bus to Kallang at 5.30am to work 12-hour shift from 7 am. Why? Because her pay is 3 times more than her last job in JB after conversion.

That is why after having stayed in JB for 6 years, I learn to become more appreciative and grateful to the Singapore's style of governance.

I am aware that for the locals earning RM, things would be considered expensive already. Likewise in Singapore, for Singaporeans things are also getting expensive. But then we are talking about Singaporeans choosing to live in JB and buying properties in JB, right? And it is the relatively cheaper things (because of the exchange rate) that makes it viable for people like me to live in JB while working in SG. If there was no such disparity then it would be far less attractive to do that, and I am also sure there won’t be such traffic jams at all. I don’t know about the others, but I am not ungrateful for the things I have enjoyed as a Singaporean. As much as I felt that things are getting more uncomfortable in Singapore (rising costs and growing kids) I also know that if I remain status quo in Singapore it would not look bright for me and my family. I mean it won’t be dark either…but neither would it be much brighter…just maintain or struggle to maintain same same due to limitation of one salary. So I am indeed grateful that being born in Singapore and being Singaporean, I can have access to nearby JB and make JB my home for now and for the foreseeable future. It’s a blessing I am counting.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'll be surprised how many people have flexible work arrangements.
The daily peak hours traffic will tell me so. Not just at the border crossings, but also at local MRT stations. Otherwise, we should rightfully be seeing less of such.