• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why the Ah Nehs are disliked around the World.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Brave Indian Journalist slams her fellow Indian citizens for being rude and showing lack of manners when abroad..

Sangeetha Devi Dundoo http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/travel/article3393480.ece

The average Indian traveller is perceived to be loud, aggressive and lacking in civic sense and invites hostility. We speak to frequent travellers to get the larger picture

You board an international flight, smile at the thought of a relaxed, well-deserved break and close your eyes as you await take-off. Your peace is shattered in seconds, thanks to a bunch of loud, aggressive co-passengers. From fighting for space to stove their cabin luggage in the overhead compartment to asking for exchange of seats, they literally demand attention. There's no respite from the cacophony until you reach your destination. Sounds familiar? Indian tourists are perceived to be lacking in etiquette, so much so that several travel agencies hand out a list of dos and don'ts along with tour itineraries.

Entrepreneur and frequent traveller Puja Sahney is not surprised. “The behaviour of a section of Indian tourists has come in for criticism in Europe and South East Asia. I have visited Thailand at least seven times and with each visit, I notice how Thai nationals are increasingly hostile towards Indians. We have brought this on ourselves. It's embarrassing when a hotel manager tells you that it takes the house keeping staff 40 to 45 minutes to clean a room vacated by Indians as against 17-20 minutes for others.”

Agrees MNC employee Praveen Kumar and adds, “I have seen fellow passengers steal airline cutlery and even tissues from washrooms. It's embarrassing to say the least. Calling out for the airline stewards instead of sounding the alarm provided shows us in bad light.”

Jumping the queue while waiting for the taxi, taking photographs of women on the beach, littering the streets and fussing over the food served are some of the common complaints. Tour operators also have to deal with the lack of punctuality. Avid traveller and owner of Travel Channel, Shalini Nakanna points out, “Tour operators are sticklers for time. On some occasions, I have seen European tour operators leaving behind a few Indian tourists and moving on with the tour. Knowing Indian tourists, South East Asian nations reluctantly wait during group tours.”

This apart, Puja feels that the lack of etiquette, to a certain extent, stems from the demographic profile of travellers. “It's cost effective to travel to South East Asian nations, Thailand and Malaysia in particular. For some travellers, it's their first international visit and they tend to take the open nature of society in these nations for granted,” she says. The hostility towards Indians in massage parlours, for instance, explains this phenomenon.

If the behaviour of some travellers is painting a dirty picture of Indian tourists as a whole, take heart. We are not alone. In a recent survey done in the US by the online business portal LivingSocial, Americans felt the US traveller tops the list of rude travellers and 20 per cent of respondents admitted to stealing towels in hotels.

Nevertheless, a clean-up act remains high on priority list for the average Indian traveller.

Clean up your act

Talking loudly so as to announce your presence half a mile away is not cool.

At a buffet table, respect the queue and await your turn. Do not eat standing near the buffet.

Don't invite trouble by taking photographs of foreigners sunbathing on a beach.

Don't litter the streets. Use recycle bins.

Leave your hotel room and washroom in a tidy condition. Stealing towels and toiletries show Indian tourists in a deplorable condition

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is it racist to criticize your own race?

I respect this Indian journalist for being honest and upfront about the true behaviour of her fellow Ah Nehs..

But one Forummer here will slam me for being a racist bigot for posting this thread about his long lost cousins from India..

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mainland Chinese also exhibit similar behaviour traits.

Two groups to avoid: mainland Indians and Chinese.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mainland Chinese also exhibit similar behaviour traits.

Two groups to avoid: mainland Indians and Chinese.

Agree with you on this.. PRC Ah Tiongs also display such traits.. See, I even hantam the Ah Tiongs here, but a fanatic Pro India Forummer here will still say I'm a racist local Chink..:eek:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recently I was jogging at a certain stadium in the evening. A sua koo Ah Neh family from India, presumably having arrived in Singapore recently, was happily having fun on the tracks to the annoyance of other joggers. It's like they were at a stadium for the first time, filled with amazement and wonder.

1) Not in sports attire.
2) Their two kids were screaming and shouting, running about, asking their dad stupid questions in heavily-accented English.
3) The mother was wearing a sari and flip flops, and when she jog/walk, there's this loud 'pik piak pik piak' sound that could be heard even when you're 30m away from her.
4) Another woman (auntie?) was pushing a baby stroller round the tracks.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's the north Indians, not south Indians that are loud n demanding.

Northern Ah Nehs are the most Yaya Payaya type.. They think they're descendants of the Maharajahs thats why they behave like rich spoilt brats when abroad..

Southern Ah Nehs, most of them comes from poor villages, thats why they're more humble than their richer Northern cousins..

But Ah Nehs will always be Ah Nehs.. Give them 5 crates of Kingfisher beer and all Hell can break loose on a Saturday nite in an empty field at Serangoon..

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The northern ah nehs think they all look like him

shahrukh-khan-02.jpg

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worst kind of Indians are the Brahmins.
I got not problems with southern Indians.

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recently I was jogging at a certain stadium in the evening. A sua koo Ah Neh family from India, presumably having arrived in Singapore recently, was happily having fun on the tracks to the annoyance of other joggers. It's like they were at a stadium for the first time, filled with amazement and wonder.

1) Not in sports attire.
2) Their two kids were screaming and shouting, running about, asking their dad stupid questions in heavily-accented English.
3) The mother was wearing a sari and flip flops, and when she jog/walk, there's this loud 'pik piak pik piak' sound that could be heard even when you're 30m away from her.
4) Another woman (auntie?) was pushing a baby stroller round the tracks.

This is from the same article.. See, even Ah Nehs don't like the attitude of their fellow Ah Nehs..

A good article. Some follow the etiquette, but some behave in way as though they have just stepped into the foreign place and they show off...

Posted on: May 8, 2012 at 12:32 IST

A few years back on a trip to Bangkok I had the misfortune of
being seated next to group of misbehaving Indians and I cannot
recall being more ashamed of my identity as an Indian. They were all grown men, presumably family-men with grown up children back home, in front of whom they wouldn't dare behave like they did on that day. But I don't know what happens when a bunch of friends get together; a mob psychology takes over and suddenly they have this childish and mischievous twinkle in their eyes, constantly come up with lewd one-liners and wisecracks aimed at provoking uncontrollable giggles among themselves. And when they started serving the alcohol, their behavior got out of hand. Some of them started pinching those mini-bottles off the trolley when the hostess wasn't looking and when one of them started touching the hostess asking for one more bottle, she gave him an earful. Meanwhile, I was squirming in my seat.

Posted on: May 8, 2012 at 11:07 IST

Like some have said above, I think most Indian's on travel behave the save way as they would behave back in India. Rude, loud and being offensive of all sorts. This is however, thought of as normal behaviour by most Indians. And as someone above has pointed out, normal Indians do not have the opportunity to learn otherwise or even experience otherwise. Lucky few are our NRI friends who have spent some years outside India and who have overtime learnt to be different. So while I agree with what the author points out, I am not sure if a list of dos and don'ts are going to make any difference. If these dos and don'ts are strickly enforced (I don't know by whom) then the average Indian on a vacation will have a miserable time. The only way forward is we changing our behaviour here in our day to day life in India. We have to be polite, curtious, leave the place tidy after use and so on. Only then can we hope that our behaviour will be different (better) while on travel.

Posted on: May 8, 2012 at 21:03 IST

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another honest Ah Neh in regards towards the crude behaviour of his countrymen..

Who says the Ah Nehs are not honest people??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I agree that it is true. I have seen many indians do the same.
As an Indian, I want to tell everyone please clean up your act.

Posted on: May 8, 2012 at 15:14 IST

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Worst kind of Indians are the Brahmins.
I got not problems with southern Indians.

Southern kelings in the IT, banking industry also quite yaya.. Some of them behave like the Northerns too.. Maybe its because of their so called higher qualifications as compared to their fellow Southern brothers in the lower paid Industries..

I have worked with the Southern Indians before at Shipyards.. They're more humble than their Northern brothers..

Maybe it's due to their poor background back in their native Tamil Nadu kampong.. They may slither around during working hours but they'll still do their job if you ordered them instructions kindly..

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Southern kelings in the IT, banking industry also quite yaya.. Some of them behave like the Northerns too.. Maybe its because of their so called higher qualifications as compared to their fellow Southern brothers in the lower paid Industries..

I have worked with the Southern Indians before at Shipyards.. They're more humble than their Northern brothers..

Maybe it's due to their poor background back in their native Tamil Nadu kampong.. They may slither around during working hours but they'll still do their job if you ordered them instructions kindly..

if u throw in a crate of beer, they will do super fast just to get the beer down their throat.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thought about it, i am going to mumbai to visit my friend. no grudges against them cos i spent my childhood in little india, but i think they behave like, you know...maybe due to because they feel deprived in some way.

let's make deepavali a 2 day public holiday, i think they will be happier...:biggrin:

uboleha

Alfrescian
Loyal
...blame it on the caste system....
...worst indian...middle class northern ones...followed by upper class n educated southern ones..
...our local indian dun fair any better....

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if u throw in a crate of beer, they will do super fast just to get the beer down their throat.

LOL.. Back then before I entered this Shipyard to go to a vessel, I would always standby 6 packets of Teh for these Southern Ah Neh shipyard workers.. After drinking the teh, can see they very superfast load my company's goods onboard the vessel..

Sometimes the vessel Captain would give me few can of beers.. Usually I would give these Heineken to these Mama shipyard riggers as some sort of a reward for them for loading my company's goods on time.. They then would smuggle out the beers to their locker rooms and drink them after work inside their dorms..