• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone has their own problems and constraints. For people like Frodo, when he is talking about Starex MPV, he is definitely talking about big families. Big families means more rooms as daughters and sons start to grow up as young ladies and young men. I cannot see how them still sharing rooms and toilets. As parents, we want the best for them and give them what we can afford even if it means we as parents sacrifice a little. (Somehow my kids don't share these thoughts).

Then again you have aged parents. The least you can do is to give them space. My late brother had a bed ridden mother in law who make a mess of herself every time her own room. His wife has to clean up everytime and it is not to manage in a cramped up HDB. Anyway she was called to Lord's side but that was after 6 years. In JB, if it is a landed, things are more spaced out and even movements can be easier. One day, we would be like that as well.

Then you have children education to take care. What school, which school and cost of schools.

For investors who are single, it is totally different scenario. No baggage, no worries at least until many years later. Priorities are different.
You can rent and unrent anytime you want. Absolute freedom. Different talk altogether.

Then people talk about cut losses. Abandon the investment and screw the S&P. It is not that simple. Those who got in will find it very difficult to extricate himself out. If anyone say abandon ship, I would say..show me how.

My piece is to respect whatever decisions each make. I have to right to say they are right or wrong, cos everyone make decisions according to his wants and needs. Outsiders don't.

Words of a weathered man who has seen much and experienced much! Very often while seated in the comfort of the new car we would remind our kids, who tend to take things for granted as though it is their entitlement, that they should count it a blessing to be able to live in a big house and travel in a big car, because back in Singapore it would never have been possible. We would tell them that the move to JB opened the door to these possibilities, not because we “eh sai” but because we “buay sai” in Singapore!

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who bought their HDB more than 10 years ago are the blessed ones... not the recent purchasers, till now many of my peers are still shocked at how much my 5 room flat cost as their 4 rooms are easily near to twice the price. For what I know, many of these late purchasers are topping up cash to their monthly mortgage payment after their monthly CPF contribution into their ordinary account is insufficient.

More than 10 years ago maybe still not good enough…at least must be more than 20 years ago! I bought mine more than 10 years ago yet the price of my HDB has not doubled. And if I sell away, pay back HDB and CPF the cash I get back is less than 1/6 of peanuts (NKF saga, remember?). Or if I buy another HDB have to pay resale levy in cash, also not good. To the SG Govt, it is affordable so long as your CPF gets wiped off every month and you just need to top up “a little” for the max tenure. For me, I took max 30 years so no need to top up additional cash because for a single income earner nothing is more important than having cash.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB is the best property for investment. Unfortunately the government has almost closed all the loop-holes.

4-room HDB: Priced at $300k (BTO)
Rental: $2500 per month x 12 months x 99 years = $3 mil (conservatively assuming no rental inflation)
Net profit: $2.7 mil.

All owners of HDB are sitting on multi-million properties.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB is the best property for investment. Unfortunately the government has almost closed all the loop-holes.

Rental: $2500 per month x 12 months x 99 years = $3 mil (conservatively assuming no rental inflation)

That is exactly how the banker calculated my finance when I was planning some investment. According to her, I am a million networth individual, I can't help but laugh at that statement as quite fondly as how Bro Frodo put it, because I "buay sai" that's why moving in, not because I "eh sai". After breaking down my monthly income vs my monthly expenses, if without considering the HDB I "leased" from HDB, I am really "worthless" LOL. It is really moment like this you stop criticising every single things done by the government and mumble a soft "thank you".

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

I always say...Singaporeans do not know how lucky they were.
Chinese saying: One who is in good life do not know what is called happiness.

Seriously, I can only crave for a HDB but I know not in my lifetime.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone has their own problems and constraints. For people like Frodo, when he is talking about Starex MPV, he is definitely talking about big families. Big families means more rooms as daughters and sons start to grow up as young ladies and young men. I cannot see how them still sharing rooms and toilets. As parents, we want the best for them and give them what we can afford even if it means we as parents sacrifice a little. (Somehow my kids don't share these thoughts).

Then again you have aged parents. The least you can do is to give them space. My late brother had a bed ridden mother in law who make a mess of herself every time her own room. His wife has to clean up everytime and it is not easy to manage in a cramped up HDB. Anyway she was called to Lord's side but that was after 6 years. In JB, if it is a landed, things are more spaced out and even movements can be easier. One day, we would be like that as well.

Then you have children education to take care. What school, which school and cost of schools.

For investors who are single, it is totally different scenario. No baggage, no worries at least until many years later. Priorities are different.
You can rent and unrent anytime you want. Absolute freedom. Different talk altogether.

Then people talk about cut losses. Abandon the investment and screw the S&P. It is not that simple. Those who got in will find it very difficult to extricate himself out. If anyone say abandon ship, I would say..show me how.

My piece is to respect whatever decisions each make. I have no right to say they are right or wrong, cos everyone make decisions according to his wants and needs. Outsiders don't.

How very true. This is why I do not take part in those argument on how one should avoid buying properties in Malaysia as it is a sinking ship etc. Should stay put in Singapore and divert fund into UK, Australia or wherever as those are the real property investment haven. I do know the risk involved in putting my hard earned money in a place where there are so many political instability and so called society hazard like robbery etc. However, I am seriously not thinking from the perceptive of an investor but more of a survivor. I need to plan 5-10 years ahead of time and made a decision which I see the possibility of keeping my old folks away from the rat race and look forward to their humble retirement. It is much easier said than done because they have no insurance coverage and saving to rely upon, hence keeping their expenses low while working out a passive income for them become an alternative to achieve that. I am just glad, I do have an option to do that.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always say...Singaporeans do not know how lucky they were.
Chinese saying: One who is in good life do not know what is called happiness.

Seriously, I can only crave for a HDB but I know not in my lifetime.

After moving into JB for a year plus now, when I hear "complaints" from ground up especially during general election or bi-election on how the govt not doing their job and they are suffering. I always wonder, do they not have a roof over their head as in having at least a HDB under their name? Like in JB alone, I am quite shocked to realise there are many late 30s johoreans who are without a single property to their name and many of these failed to qualify for those cheap public housing scheme as well. Those who have seen their public housing will agree with me that our HDB by comparison seems like their high end condo instead.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel you, bro…when we become neighbours in 2018 we should meet and chill at the many fine eating places nearby. LOL!

I suppose to many Malaysians they might perceive we are living the high life. Well…in a way it’s true…but that’s also because of the currency conversion effect! People see us eating roast duck (RM50) twice a week may say “wah…not bad ah…jiak roast duck so often” but hey, that’s how much we would have paid for four bowls of fish ball noodles in Singapore, and my family is more than 4 pax! Or consider the purchase of the brand new car. Malaysians may say “wah…new expensive car leh!” but really, it’s the price of a COE which I can’t even pay for in Singapore in cash in order to renew a 10 year COE for my OPC. But in MY it is possible to take a car loan for that amount. Or take music classes. In Singapore one month is $120 but in JB it is RM120. Same figure but different currency! The way I see it, the favourable exchange rate does give us a “high life” living, for pretty much the same expenditure we would have incurred in Singapore. Also very true that we now look at Singapore in a different light. Now my kids don’t like to go back Singapore! LOL! No more SG car means taking public transport is very troublesome. Need to count heads and need to hold kids hands and need to walk “miles and miles” inside CIQ just to get outside! Last time everyone just stay in the SG car. Yep, crossing the Causeway is no walk in the park either. But as you so nicely put it, a better life for the family overall is what drives us on. Not easy but certainly doable. Life is tough ya?:wink:

Ya, 2018 it is. Recently drove along Pasir Gudang highway, seem like the building is really taking place at lightning speed now. Can see the shape taking up. Might need you to show me around the Taman as I am a western dweller, I am more familiar with Taman Sutera, Impian Emas, Bukit Indah and Perling area.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
How very true. This is why I do not take part in those argument on how one should avoid buying properties in Malaysia as it is a sinking ship etc. Should stay put in Singapore and divert fund into UK, Australia or wherever as those are the real property investment haven. I do know the risk involved in putting my hard earned money in a place where there are so many political instability and so called society hazard like robbery etc. However, I am seriously not thinking from the perceptive of an investor but more of a survivor. I need to plan 5-10 years ahead of time and made a decision which I see the possibility of keeping my old folks away from the rat race and look forward to their humble retirement. It is much easier said than done because they have no insurance coverage and saving to rely upon, hence keeping their expenses low while working out a passive income for them become an alternative to achieve that. I am just glad, I do have an option to do that.

Agreed! The “do-ability” factor was also important for us. When we found out that it was do-able to buy a house in JB and live there, it was a “mai tu liao” decision. Actually when we decided to move over to JB, the political stability and the “raped or robbed” factors weren’t top on our list of concerns. The security was important but we were more concerned with “we need to do this now or else we may not get the chance to do it later.” In my view, in addition to the survival reason, there is also the practical reason, simply because of the proximity of JB to Singapore. One can practically visit the property as often as he likes by crossing borders, whereas if vested in UK or Australia it would mean hours of airborne time which cannot be done regularly unless very rich. And when life throws something at us and we need that extra cash, maybe last resort can still can run over to JB and take up residence there while renting out the HDB. Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. Of course the comeback answer would be “if so, why buy when can rent?” but as mentioned also before, the buy vs rent decision is not just a matter of “it is cheaper to rent than buy” but there are also preferential and personal reasons involved.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks! I am a simple man, my simple pleasures are watching (bootleg) movies from JB and reading free or inexpensive ebooks on my tablet. I normally buy business shirts once a year during Parkson sales. Can live in an ang moh chu in JB is already a dream come true.

I could already imagine old Frado laughing his teeth off as he joins the ranks of the wealthy property owners after a few decades.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, 2018 it is. Recently drove along Pasir Gudang highway, seem like the building is really taking place at lightning speed now. Can see the shape taking up. Might need you to show me around the Taman as I am a western dweller, I am more familiar with Taman Sutera, Impian Emas, Bukit Indah and Perling area.

Most of our friends stay at Bukit Indah and Horizon Hills side too! So we use the PG highway very often and always I will catch a quick look and very excited to see that things are moving. And if you happen to be around there during weekends, must try the Gim Cheng dim sum at Taman Daya. I heard from a friend that this is the best dim sum in JB. He said if you don’t like the food there, then no need to eat else where liao. LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I could already imagine old Frado laughing his teeth off as he joins the ranks of the wealth property owners after a few decades.

LOL! Not optimistic about it but hope so lah, like a famous actor once said, if you have no dreams in life then you are no different from salted fish LOL!:p

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of our friends stay at Bukit Indah and Horizon Hills side too! So we use the PG highway very often and always I will catch a quick look and very excited to see that things are moving. And if you happen to be around there during weekends, must try the Gim Cheng dim sum at Taman Daya. I heard from a friend that this is the best dim sum in JB. He said if you don’t like the food there, then no need to eat else where liao. LOL!

Stopped going there to eat their dim sum, used to go there eat until happily...anyhow inc price. dun say i never tell you hor.

Last edited:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stopped going there to eat their dim sum, used to go there eat until happily...price hurt. dun say i never tell you hor.

I realised the followings are in abundant in Malaysia:

1) Dim Sum
2) Bak Kut Teh

So far, have tried 3-4 dim sum places. Both my wife and myself went as far as Ipoh for dim sum.

Bak Kut Teh, I still think Kota Tinggi one is the best in term of soup base. However, the flies there are in commando mode.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) Dim Sum
2) Bak Kut Teh

So far, have tried 3-4 dim sum places. Both my wife and myself went as far as Ipoh for dim sum.

Bak Kut Teh, I still think Kota Tinggi one is the best in term of soup base. However, the flies there are in commando mode.

Food Hunter spotted!!!:biggrin:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

1) Dim Sum
2) Bak Kut Teh

Eat dim sum got to take it slowly, it is v fun when they over to u and ask "do u wan this..that". But now machiam DIY..bizz too good, inside the tao bao mixed with chicken meat..NB.

Last edited:

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eat dim sum got to take it slowly, it is v fun when they over to u and ask "do u wan this..that". But now machiam DIY..bizz too good, inside the tao bao mixed with chicken meat..NB.

completely agree. So far, I only witness the push cart style of dim sum in Penang, JB still yet to find (in term of coffeeshop setting and not restaurant).

Dim Sum must sip chinese tea, eat slowly, chit chat with family and friends while eat. Usually by the time finished, almost 11am and can get ready to travel to next location for Lunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.