• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much did you pay for the 659sqft unit since its rm1 million for foreigners? For me personally, if it's a shoebox unit in a foreign land, mite as well don't buy. I want space that spore can't offer me. Just my thoughts.

With rm 1 million I can rent forever in JB. Change house every 2 years and get out anytime.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
With rm 1 million I can rent forever in JB. Change house every 2 years and get out anytime.

Assuming JB's and SG's economy, hence the exchange rate remain status quo, and with some inflation you can rent for about 30 years. The owner will then chase you out, and won't even thank you for paying for his house (if you rent the same house). It is better to own the roof over your head.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assuming JB's and SG's economy, hence the exchange rate remain status quo, and with some inflation you can rent for about 30 years. The owner will then chase you out, and won't even thank you for paying for his house (if you rent the same house). It is better to own the roof over your head.
Yes, generally, it is better to buy your own house than to rent. In the long term, you can get capital appreciation (especially for those in good locations) and also not having to pay rental, which is a recurring cost.

The only good reason to rent is if you know that your nature of work calls for frequent change of locations every few years. My personal opinion.

Last edited:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.. That much is true..
Renting is only advantage on hindsight..
But generally owning is better in the long run

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell you, sometimes talk is talk, when come to paying to the landlord every mth. "Inside your heart starts to unbalance already"..:p

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell you, sometimes talk is talk, when come to paying to the landlord every mth. "Inside your heart starts to unbalance already"..:p
In Singapore, you can still choose and pick. Get those better expatriate tenants. I'll never allow Chinks nor Indians as my tenants. I'd rather wait. 1 of my neighbors and also 1 of my brother's neighbors, had rented out their units to Chinks, who subsequently partitioned their units and sub-leased to more Chinks. Believe it or not, even the bomb shelter is not forsaken but also being sub-leased!!! Eventually, they were evicted with their deposits forfeited.

In Johor, there are not many expatriate tenants although I do see more ang mohs in the Bukit Indah vicinity lately, definitely from those universities and hospitals. I'd once spoke to a Briton in TESCO Bukit Indah who is here for a 2-year contract with a university in Edu-City. Otherwise, if you get Malaysian tenants, most are non complying and some have even absconded, like my 2 neighbors had experienced. They even had to pay for their utility (TNB and SAJ) bills eventually, in excess of their deposits. In Malaysia, the utility companies will go after the house owner for all unpaid bills, unlike in Singapore, where the PUB goes after the account holder instead.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

I can vouch for this owning to let strategy. You will gain in the long term. Accumulation is the key. Resell to reap profits within 5 years is not the main focus. You need to get in at the lowest point as far as you can see. (Note there's no such thing as bottom)
But even if you got in at a high point, over a long run, you stll do not lose.

I am talking from my own experience.

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buying property is a common strategy for hedging against inflation. Your rent is likely to rise over time due to inflation, your installments remain static.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, you can still choose and pick. Get those better expatriate tenants. I'll never allow Chinks nor Indians as my tenants. I'd rather wait. 1 of my neighbors and also 1 of my brother's neighbors, had rented out their units to Chinks, who subsequently partitioned their units and sub-leased to more Chinks. Believe it or not, even the bomb shelter is not forsaken but also being sub-leased!!! Eventually, they were evicted with their deposits forfeited.

In Johor, there are not many expatriate tenants although I do see more ang mohs in the Bukit Indah vicinity lately, definitely from those universities and hospitals. I'd once spoke to a Briton in TESCO Bukit Indah who is here for a 2-year contract with a university in Edu-City. Otherwise, if you get Malaysian tenants, most are non complying and some have even absconded, like my 2 neighbors had experienced. They even had to pay for their utility (TNB and SAJ) bills eventually, in excess of their deposits. In Malaysia, the utility companies will go after the house owner for all unpaid bills, unlike in Singapore, where the PUB goes after the account holder instead.

It is good to catch xebay11 aka 2.6M dollars man:p this type of tenant, otherwise, you have to check constantly n quietly. pinoy and cheapo tenantss are out of list, as i got them w an unknown occupant, and spent days to remove oily bbq stains..kao.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Problem is, some of us do not have RM1 million dollars WITH us at any one time at our disposal. Well, at least I don't. Never had. Not sure if ever would either.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ones saying they would rather rent than buy are just giving a comparison. They won't rent.

It does not make sense to invest in JB for pure financial gains for a time horizon of 5-10 years from now.

Beyond that, hopefully JB's economy will grow and able to support higher rental and capital appreciation.

The last factor is government policy, which is a wild card.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

In 20-30 years, malaysian populations would increase to some 40-50 millions plus. It is not likely you could get an average house now at the price of 20-30 years ago. Most house prices have gone up multiple times in the last 20-30 years in Malaysia(of course there are exceptions)

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 20-30 years, malaysian populations would increase to some 40-50 millions plus. It is not likely you could get an average house now at the price of 20-30 years ago. Most house prices have gone up multiple times in the last 20-30 years in Malaysia(of course there are exceptions)

From Johor's latest population statistics:
https://www.statistics.gov.my/index.php?r=column/cone&menu_id=d1dTR0JMK2hUUUFnTnp5WUR2d3VBQT09

2012 was 3.45 mil
2015 was 3.55 mil
Average 4 years population growth = 100,000
Population growth per year = 100,000/4 = 25,000

Assuming 4 pax per family, number of new houses needed is 25,000/4 = 6,250
Possibly 75% are looking for landed and 25% are looking for condos (estimated based on my reading of Propertyguru's surveys): 4,700 new landed and 1,550 new condos approximately are needed each year

Given that new landed launches are in the range of 2,000 units per year (my estimate), you can see where the price pressure is building. For condos, the supply is there to meet the demand but the developers tend to buy the land at high costs. The Woodlands checkpoint condos supply (note: 0 new landed supply there) is sufficient at the moment, but the entry price is very high.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's a very good starting point for analysis.. Thanks.
Landed property should be seeing price appreciation just by merit of under supply.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

To hedge this, I would rather buy a property in Singapore, enjoy the 2 plus % interest rate, rent it out here and rent in Johor, where the owner is paying 4 plus % in loan interest over there. You still have a roof over your head in Singapore, so what is the issue?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
To hedge this, I would rather buy a property in Singapore, enjoy the 2 plus % interest rate, rent it out here and rent in Johor, where the owner is paying 4 plus % in loan interest over there. You still have a roof over your head in Singapore, so what is the issue?

haiz...peasants like me are out of the property game in Singapore. How to afford a $1.3m condo in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.