• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice one
1) no hike
2) toll on edl not in ciq
3) toll in ciq but lower than earlier announcement
4) toll on edl plus a hike on ciq toll though lower than previous
5) higher vep

I dunno which option or is there another option.
Lol.

My guess is that they will implement RM 16.50 first on 1 Aug and try to let time heal the wounds, while the Works Ministry do their 'study' .....LOL

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Businesses brace themselves for impending Causeway toll increases
By Patrick John Lim
POSTED: 30 Jul 2014 20:36
UPDATED: 30 Jul 2014 23:49

With no official announcements on when new tolls will be implemented, business leaders are raising concerns about an uncertain outlook, and fears that increased costs will be passed down to consumers.

SINGAPORE: The impending increase in toll charges and levies for vehicles travelling between Malaysia and Singapore has led to growing concern among businesses that their earnings could be squeezed. Business leaders also worry that the increased costs could be passed down to consumers.

Reports say toll rates for vehicles could be increased as early as this Friday (August 1), by as much as four times the current rate. So far, there have been no official announcements on when the toll increases will be implemented, just reports quoting officials from both Singapore and Malaysia.

Mr Thomas Chua, President of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, says this has created much uncertainty, and hopes both sides will work together to review the entire process.

"Both parties have to work on some solution and some consensus, then you tell the businesses from both countries how much it's going to increase. It's not the increment per se - the whole process I think is not very productive," he said.

Businesses are bracing themselves for a double whammy. If Malaysia decides to raise the toll for vehicles crossing the Causeway, Singapore authorities have said that they will in turn review the toll rates for vehicles entering Singapore.

In addition, Malaysia plans to impose a levy on foreign vehicles entering Johor by the end of the year, after Singapore said it would raise its levy for foreign cars entering Singapore.

According to reports, businesses say the hikes will be substantial, and some may be forced to pass on the costs to consumers.

Said Mr Kurt Wee, President of the Association of Small and Medium Enterprises: "If we have this increase which is going to represent quite a serious quantum for logistical trips for SMEs, of course those with higher-value goods may be less impacted, and those with lower-value goods will be much more impacted."

"At the end of the day, I think it will reach a level whereby businesses will feel 'this is a level of costs I cannot absorb, I have to pass on to my other business counterparts or the consumers.' So we can expect that it will be passed on for sure."

- CNA/do

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/singapore/businesses-brace/1289446.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given the very poor sentiment among locals, no politician will dare to implement the fare hike, unless they want BN voted out at the next election.

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
i wonder why msia dont start with levy for foreign cars first instead of toll which affect their own citizens too.
is it because spore was querying them if the levy only applies to spore vehicles which they have no answers?

In response to media queries, the ministry spokesperson said in a statement that the concern is whether the decision is directed towards Singaporean vehicles, as it was reported that it would only be levied in Johor.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
They can't do that as most foreign cars are driven by their own citizens.
Unless they want to be booted out the next elections.

I think the works ministry is now panicking at the implications. Do they have clowns working there?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the works ministry is now panicking at the implications. Do they have clowns working there?

We shall know today at midnight but it is my strong belief that they will go ahead with RM 16.50, since election is some time off....

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
i wonder why msia dont start with levy for foreign cars first instead of toll which affect their own citizens too.
is it because spore was querying them if the levy only applies to spore vehicles which they have no answers?

In response to media queries, the ministry spokesperson said in a statement that the concern is whether the decision is directed towards Singaporean vehicles, as it was reported that it would only be levied in Johor.

I believe so. Along the way, someone said they will consider imposing the levy for foreign cars coming into its Northern corridor, but Najib, too busy with MH17 or other, has not okayed it. My take of the matter is that any increase is a very sensitive issue and that could be the reason why Najib delegate the matter to the Transport Ministry. Any collection of levy will definitely affect Singaporeans but the worse hit will be the businesses and Iskandar which they tried very hard to build up and wanted to emulate Shenzhen. It's all in our mind. When we believe or think that Iskandar is going to be as expensive as Singapore during its infant growth, we tend to wait and most probably shun away. Yes we may be keen but we won't buy...

Yesterday we visited City Square and found that the food prices in those established restaurants there except for KFC, Mcdonalds and some others as good as Singapore's. The word "cheap" is slowly fading away!

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think so. Else Singapore will be announcing it by now.
Still nothing on the Singapore news yet.

They have a good reason to defer since the DPM himself has come out to say they are studying the matter. But if the DPM is lesser respected by the JB administrators they may go ahead first and that could pull off the trigger for Singapore to do likewise in due course. When the increases are implemented, the commuters will be affected, but the businesses and Iskandar will be worse off.

If there is no increase, the situation will remain status quo for those entering Malaysia.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most of them driving S Plate car are their own citizens. They will be hit hardest.
What they should do is to build an gantry going to EDL link, something like ERP like that. No need to station people at the toll. Just turn on and turn off. Once the car pass through, it will "Beep".

It so damn efficient and no labor costing. Of course, who will maintain the gantry ? Will they be able to maintain it ?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of them driving S Plate car are their own citizens. They will be hit hardest.
What they should do is to build an gantry going to EDL link, something like ERP like that. No need to station people at the toll. Just turn on and turn off. Once the car pass through, it will "Beep".

It so damn efficient and no labor costing. Of course, who will maintain the gantry ? Will they be able to maintain it ?

this one cannot work in malaysia. Everyone will just drive through without paying. our attitude is, you want to summon me, you come look for me lor.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
We shall know today at midnight but it is my strong belief that they will go ahead with RM 16.50, since election is some time off....

So far this changes have no financial impact on me commuting on bike. :p

But potential problem is that people who drive switch to motorbikes, then I uplorry liao.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
this one cannot work in malaysia. Everyone will just drive through without paying. our attitude is, you want to summon me, you come look for me lor.

Those who fail to pay up their fine will not be able to renew their drivers license. If you didn't pay up further, your road tax will not be renewed and also your car insurance will not be renewed. Even your motor cycle road tax and insurance will not be renewed. If you get into any accident, you will be liable for civil suit from car owners. Also the authority can sue you for not paying your insurance and fine.

Those who "forget" to pay will have their car plate number taken on the spot.

It is just the effort to track you down. I won't need to track you. It will be easier for you to pay up nicely. I am not expecting the civil servants from Malaysia to be that efficient. For that to happen, you need the cooperation of the ground officers to build up the data base. It will take some effort.

Last edited:

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got two vouchers (no breakfast) for stay at KSL, either superior king/double at hotel tower or two bedrooms unit at apartment. Market rate at about S$110-$160. expire 21 Aug 2014. Willing to let go at S$80 each.

PM me if keen. Will be there to facilitate check-in.

Thanks.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way just for the record... I am not R&F salesman Chan, just in case you guys suspect because this chap's reply to the press sound uncannily similar to my viewpoint here.

Yes, RM 50 levy will not stop travellers as travellers save about RM 500,000 to RM 3 million on house price differences already.

That is not the way to do maths; you don't compare RM50 every day with one-time saving of RM 500,000.

You have to do maths in this way:

RM50 X365 days X 99 years + toll charges + petrol cost for distance between Singapore and your JB house + time cost.

A more practical way to compare which is more investable will be to use : yearly rental yield of a similar apartment unit at woodlands with that of potential yearly rental yield of R&F, after minus 365 X (VEP fees + causeway toll charges.), without taking commuting inconveniences into consideration.

Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor planning express bus services for locals working in Singapore

Johor will hold talks with bus companies to provide express services for locals working in Singapore, says Johor Mentri Besar Datuk Mohamed Khaled Nordin.

"With such a service, people will not have to drive across the Causeway to work. That way, they won't have to pay for tolls," he said. Apparently, the express bus service would ferry those working in Singapore, but living in Johor Baru, to five designated areas in the republic such as Boon Lay and Jurong. Khaled was commenting about the complaints over the toll at the Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex. It starts tomorrow.

Travelling from Johor to Singapore is now free while motorists pay RM2.90 (S$1.14) for the return trip from Singapore. From tomorrow, motorists will have to pay RM6.80 at the CIQ in Johor and RM9.70 when they return to Johor.

Khaled said the state government was given an assurance that a portion of the toll collected would be used to maintain the 8.1km Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL). He allayed public concern that toll would be charged on EDL users. "It will remain free for motorists using the EDL to get to Pasir Gudang, Stulang and on to Johor Baru city centre."

The Mentri Besar said the new toll rates were not part of the proposed Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fee.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced on July 16 the Government's decision to implement the VEP fee for all foreign vehicles entering Johor. Separately, Deputy Finance Minister Datuk Chua Tee Yong said the authorities should make public how they arrived at the final figure for the revised toll at CIQ complex.

Chua said many people were upset about the new rates. "Ultimately, the authorities need to strike a balance between increasing revenue and ensuring that the people are not overly burdened," he said.
"For example, it may be possibile to offer rebates for during weekends, off peak hours, or special rates for businesses."

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on above i believe tolls will kick in from tmrw. The news is todays news.
they dont even bother to respond to LTA query.
next time they will just say all properties bought by singaporeans now belong to the state. Or have to sell back at 2005 prices.No need to give any explanations.

Serenity

Alfrescian
Loyal
New Assessment Tax kicks in this 2nd half, I will be paying 3.1 times from the previous, anyone paying the new rates yet?

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, i noticed as well. They din reply to LTA.

Even LTA has to read newspaper reports.

Can imagine how they will treat lesser mortals.

they dont even bother to respond to LTA query.
next time they will just say all properties bought by singaporeans now belong to the state. Or have to sell back at 2005 prices.No need to give any explanations.

Status
Not open for further replies.