• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photogguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Major issue remains in skilled labour supply, but efforts have been invested in training and in time educity will generate supply from the many instituitions there that offer up to tertiary levels education. Meanwhile consideration for importing of labours: http://www.stjobs.sg/career-resources/hr-updates/iskandar-may-import-labour-for-smes/a/134358 will help short-term shortage in labour supply. As in the article, local agency helped trained and supply up to 700 personnels at Legoland about 80% from local catchment. Likewise the Premium Outlet open up opportunities for local workforce trained locally. They are also tapping into Singapore, "....to provide vocational training for the manpower needs of Iskandar Malaysia. "That is actually the plan. There is the retail academy in Singapore, that has long been established relative to what we have here, and we have made contact with them because apart from providing their own courses, they also have collaboration with a UK university for masters course in retail. So instead of inventing something new, we thought why don't we establish this collaboration with them, and that is actually being done," Mr Syed Mohamed said." ...according to the article.

It will be just as easy for them to ask Central Govt to tweak policies on labour to match manpower requirements...and in recent months there have been mass rental hunting by companies such as Pinewood studios. It would not be a surprise if CG units will end up serving the needs of personnels at Educity as it suits the lifestyle of the expats community in such institution which are likely to comprise young mobile educators.

Last edited:

curiouscat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thoughts on killing the Goose laying golden eggs in IM.

The prospects for economic growth in IM in the next 5, 10 and 15 years remain very strong. They are stronger than they were 5 years ago. Investments that produce economic activity (theme parks, factories, hospitals, hotels, retail, film studio…) have come online and more on being built right now.

Cooperation with Singapore is the main advantage IM has. It provides IM world class advantages that few other locations have (it is the same advantages offered by lower cost areas extremely close to world class cities - NYC, Hong Kong, London, San Francisco etc.). Transportation connections to Singapore are critical and have not been managed as well as they should have been. A 3rd link should be in place today. The MRT should be a top priority of anyone with power interested in the future economic well being of IM and Johor.

Transportation within Johor is also a big concern. This is good now. I worry they will become as bad as KL which would be a horrible outcome. JB had the chance to build a good transportation system and avoid the economically extremely costly friction of bad transportation system that KL is stuck with. If JB does this well, JB will be the economic center of Malaysia in 2030. If this is messed up the economy of JB will suffer a great deal.

The health of Malaysia's economy will also have a large role to play. Overall things are very positive on this front though government and consumer debt are getting to be serious problems.

Economics is often tricky. Externalities (like pollution - essentially externalities are positive or negative impacts that are not captured economically by the market transaction, so economic theory requires government to implement policies to take externalities into account) are easy to ignore, for a awhile). So you have situations like China where huge negative consequences (health risks, health care costs, costs to pay staff to accept unbreathable air…) are taken on and short term economic gains seem better than they are.

Economic bubbles create lots of golden eggs. They are false golden eggs though. They are only available as long as the bubble tempts people to ignore the real economic worth. And cleaning up after bubbles burst is extremely costly and damaging to economies (especially ones that have high debt and are not lucky enough to have a fiat currency that the global market accepts - the USA).

I am extremely skeptical of the boom in luxury housing in IM. I don't see the boom in very high paying jobs that create a sustainable demand for luxury housing. The transportation links to Singapore are not great enough to allow the jobs to all be in Singapore. Even if they were that is a risky model to be so dependent on Singaporean money. There is likely to be a dependence on Singapore jobs to sustain many of those living in IM but for it to a strong economy there have to be a reasonable number of high paying jobs in JB.

Right now, it seems to me (I would really need to have much more data to be more certain as I don't have nearly enough data now), that their is a bubble in luxury housing in IM. I think the government is wise to take bubble suppressing steps. Doing so is never easy. Getting it exactly right is very hard. I think they waited to long, which then means the bubble has inflated and makes taking the right steps even harder.

On the good side of things, real estate prices were extremely low 10 years ago. So while prices have increased a great deal they are still not exorbitant compared to other desirable areas (Singapore, KL, Penang, Bangkok…). Of course, JB hasn't been on comparable terms with those locations. I truly believe IM has the potential to do so, and thereby justify even higher prices going forward. But that is dependent on maximizing the Singapore location benefits and while lots of good things are happening on that front, more is needed. And more is needed quickly.

The riskiest area for IM is a huge oversupply of luxury housing. It would be foolish of the government not to address this risk. Wether the steps taken are correct or not, I am not sure, but I think they are a reasonable guess and basically are wise. Things should be watched and adjusted as needed. The policy change I like the least is the 1 million MYR limit (I would do no more than 750,000 MYR if it were up to me).

What I see as the top priorities

- reducing speculation in luxury housing in IM
- reducing government debt levels
- reducing consumer debt levels
- increasing the number of high paying jobs in IM - focus on health care is good (I more could be done there I would try), finance is another good target, manufacturing is decent but I seriously doubt IM will have huge numbers of high paying/high skilled manufacturing jobs (some yes, but limited). I would also target high tech, software development etc. I would work closely with organizations in Singapore and KL. I would focus a significant amount of effort on this area). Education is good (and worthily of continued effort) but provides limited high paying jobs. If engineering and entrepreneurship programs can be developed that integrate with high tech business community that is the path to huge success for JB (pretty much everywhere else on earth would like to pull this off so there is lots of competition - JB has better than average potential with Singapore next store and the Malaysian economy and efforts such as IRDA and decent English language skills for students - improving English would help).
- increasing the tax base (sales taxes make sense), hotels and retail are great (especially when they attract tourists and you get tax dollars on others - not just your citizens)
- transportation - MRT, busses in JB, roads, taxis… Should be worrying about JB's own MRT system (even if that is a long term issue, planning should be done now, building should likely begin within 5 years - beyond just the initial few stations linking to Singapore, it should be over 12 stations in JB by 2025 - likely a north/south line and east/west). Should likely also plan on 2nd and 3rd link MRT connections to Singapore by 2025 would be nice, but certainly by 2030 I would think?
- increasing number of jobs overall - this seems to be fairly well done but looking down the road 30 years the issue is going to be raising the pay level (lots of retail and tourist related jobs are good at first, but they are low paying jobs in general)

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably good idea to start planning on the Johor MRT system within itself would be a good idea instead of waiting for Singapore to be ready.
Then when the cross border is confirmed it would be simpler to just do the link up. And it would be able to spread out the cost over a longer period.

But I agree that the the transport links is a major disadvantage and hindrance to the development of Johor.
This should be top priority.

As for luxury housing I think Johor is right to start to push for it and to move away from mass market development.
This will raise the standards of construction and to set a new standard to start competing with other city centres.
This will entice more high end developer and will start to raise the profile of Iskandar. Which in turn will attract stronger value investments and this will provide incentives to rejuvenate the city. This will be a virtuous cycle that will drive up the standards of income of Malaysians

The local residents might suffer for a while on the increased costs but the government will be in a better position to deal with it with the increase in government coffers.

Gotta start somewhere

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u have any complaint/feedback/suggestion about any aspect regarding the polis, there is a new avenue to channel this:

See: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nati...A-system-to-receive-complaints-against-f.aspx

"Since the launch of the “Integrated Public Agency Complaints Monitoring System (i-SPAAA)” on Sept 1, the police disciplinary unit has already initiated action against errant cops based on hundreds of complaints and feedback received.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said all complaints would be strictly confidential.

He said the system was good to receive complaints against all departments within the police force.

“Complaints were previously channelled to the respective departments and was not very effective and at times confusing.

“Under the new system, the public’s grouses are dealt with expediently and efficiently,” Khalid said after officially launching the i-SPAAA yesterday.

The system has so far recorded 854 types of complaints, enquiries, feedback and suggestions.

“Complaints on unsolved cases and against misconduct have been dealt with and resolved,” he said, adding that the status of the complaints could be checked online.

The IGP explained that a complaint to i-SPAAA was not like lodging a police report, explaining that the system was focused on improving the quality of police services.

Complaints or feedback can be submitted online at http://www.rmp.gov.my/ispaaa or emailed to ispaaa [email protected]. For details, call 1800 88 0222."

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Due to the consideration of noise/fireworks adverse European neighbours, both myself and a buddy of mine have not set off fireworks for a long time. Today, some neighbours had folks over and set off quite a few. In the end my good buddy donated a box and it was quite a quick show though pretty nice.

Have been doing my best to be a good Neighbour, put foam paddings on doors and gates, changed out water heater for DC ones and even tied down fittings that make noises but sometimes it's hard as other neighbours will still set off fireworks even past midnight. One time my kid was on a motor vehicle and was riding back at 8.30pm. As it was school holiday for my kids, I indulged him as I haven't had time to spend with them for the past 6 months and recently had a serious heart scare, ending up in a hospital.

One of my neighbours, ran screaming at us and shouted that we stop. This was someone whom both my dad and myself went to help out for domestic home matters etc.He always parks his car outside while we made sure to park inside so as not to obstruct traffic. As they know a very good buddy of mine, I told my wife to just bear with it.

One time he even scolded my wife for parking near to him even though it was well over at our end but I don't understand their unwillingness to park inside. It's ok if you don't have kids but at least don't shout at kids, maybe he was just having a bad day but at 8.35pm on a Saturday night he could have told us politely instead of shouting its late etc.

Its not like its at midnight or something. Don't need to run out and shout especially with kids around. Sports person or not, it was an eye opener. I refused to get drawn into a shouting match and told him we will stop.

Right after his shouting, unfortunately alot of neighbours let off fireworks and even right now today,its still going on.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Some pictures of JB places with interesting food. Most of the pictures were taken at the Laotian restaurant at Bukit Indah (Nusa Bestari)
image.jpg:smile:
940820_10152098602424557_1987727567_n.jpg1497728_10152098601459557_1495805034_n.jpg1505536_10152098602684557_935884540_n.jpg1525376_10152098601874557_635530844_n.jpg

Last edited:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Y dun he shout @ others lei?:roll:peyes: must be something Buai song in him.. kpo 一下. Happy 2014!

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my neighbours, ran screaming at us and shouted that we stop. This was someone whom both my dad and myself went to help out for domestic home matters etc.He always parks his car outside while we made sure to park inside so as not to obstruct traffic. As they know a very good buddy of mine, I told my wife to just bear with it.

angmoh neighbour is it?

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Y dun he shout @ others lei?:roll:peyes: must be something Buai song in him.. kpo 一下. Happy 2014!

Really puzzled and more than a bit vexed. Perhaps we were just too noisy or lousy neighbours but we really tried to stay out of his way. If it was noise, just a polite talk would carry much further instead of running out barefooted like that.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
angmoh neighbour is it?

Yes. Another time a Canadian neighbour was setting off fireworks at 7pm and got loudly told off by an American neighbour.
We never make noise when our local or foreign neighbours set off fireworks even at past 4am in the morning
or have loud pets making noises in the wee hours of the morning, etc.

Perhaps all the noised added together was unbearable.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
shaolin.jpg

The good old master has raised his price but its still very reasonable at 25 RM per consultation regardless of how many conditions or maladies you raised to the good master. He teaches qi gong as well and was given awards etc multiple times.

They are closed on Thursdays though. Highly recommended, other folks from Singapore and even an old auntie from Batam was there today. Parking is a challenge though so do remember to park outside.

There is a shingles "jua she" expert 2-3 units away from him as well.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Another time a Canadian neighbour was setting off fireworks at 7pm and got loudly told off by an American neighbour.
We never make noise when our local or foreign neighbours set off fireworks even at past 4am in the morning
or have loud pets making noises in the wee hours of the morning, etc.

Perhaps all the noised added together was unbearable.

bs lah. it's a difficult situation, being neighbour and all, but if a angmoh shout at my kids i would definitely shout back at him. what, angmoh big is it? i won't make excuse for angmoh bad behaviour either.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Medicated oil that the master sells at RM 5 per bottle. My mother always asks me to buy 10 bottles or more every time i went there. Just used it on myself as i hurt myself a couple of days ago. Went to see the master and finally joints, etc can move freely, the external medicine given was also pretty good.
medicated oil.jpg

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
bs lah. it's a difficult situation, being neighbour and all, but if a angmoh shout at my kids i would definitely shout back at him. what, angmoh big is it? i won't make excuse for angmoh bad behaviour either.

There are financial reasons connecting him to my buddy so i don't want to make it difficult for him but there would be no more next time if he starts shouting again. He either slams his doors or don't close them properly resulting in the wind slamming it shut often.
Sometimes this happens even late at night but you don't see me running over and shouting. He has always been ok though and has been here for the past almost 3 years so this outburst was wholly unexpected.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bit of blood letting was done, he didn't tell me he was letting out blood. Didn't felt anything but felt 100% better right after the treatment.
IMG_6710.JPG

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Good 4x4 shop with specialized accessories like canopies, extremely long whip antennas, snorkels etc.
Located at Jalan Harmonium in Tebrau area (near Jusco/Tesco)

car workshop.jpgcar workshop2.jpgwildtrack.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.