• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am all for the tolls and I cant wait for the Spore side to implement fast. So sad to hear there might be a U-turn on Malaysia side to appease the drivers

somehow i suspect those living in jb even semi-permanently are considering the new tolls a blessing in disguise! no more jams is good.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am all for the tolls and I cant wait for the Spore side to implement fast. So sad to hear there might be a U-turn on Malaysia side to appease the drivers

I have a very strong feeling that there will be a U-turn on the MY side with some silly reason.
Till now, they had till not given SG their reason for the exhorbitant toll increase so which means there is still room to manoevre.
If its really a toll for the EDL, then they must erect a toll gate at the entrance of that road and not at the CIQ.
Also, if its toll increase, why not also the 2nd Link too?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
In today's Zaobao, it is reported that the shops near the Causeway are suffering, and lobbying for a toll reduction. Also read in MY forum that more factory buses and lorries are turning to the 2nd link. Once SG matches MY toll, both links should be more evenly used. I think it will probably be around 65% at causeway & 35% at 2nd link?

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a very strong feeling that there will be a U-turn on the MY side with some silly reason.
Till now, they had till not given SG their reason for the exorbitant toll increase so which means there is still room to manoeuvre.
If its really a toll for the EDL, then they must erect a toll gate at the entrance of that road and not at the CIQ.

I fully agree - there is no reason for the toll hike. I may be wrong, but I think someone jumped the gun when they heard Najib okayed the VEP fees. They quickly increased the toll rates linking them to EDL, hoping that the VEP fees may not be implemented or would be difficult to implement. They could argue to allow the hike in tolls to remain and who will benefit?

As it is now, it may be difficult for the Transport Ministry to calculate the fees payable and very very unfair to Singaporeans who has long history of friendship and relations and who has been investing in Iskandar. They are not imposing anything up North where there are fewer shopping malls to match Johore. They published JB to be a "home" for international community to stay with its MM2H programme and this year was planned to be "Visit to Malaysia Year" (sic of VEP year). But some good souls out there trying to implement these programmes are now wondering what will happen with the hike in tolls and impending VEP fees. For a layman like me, I am wondering why are they opening up all the roads to investors, Singaporeans included, with one hand and putting roadblocks with the other.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Till now, they had till not given SG their reason for the exhorbitant toll increase so which means there is still room to manoevre.

Actually EDL is quite a complicated expressway with lots of entrances/exits so it's difficult to erect a toll gate without causing a jam. MY is not like SG/Aust, which uses ERP. As Bro Malpaso says, if ERP-like system is used in MY, many pple will just bochap & dash through without paying for the fines.....

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually EDL is quite a complicated expressway with lots of entrances/exits so it's difficult to erect a toll gate without causing a jam. MY is not like SG/Aust, which uses ERP. As Bro Malpaso says, if ERP-like system is used in MY, many pple will just bochap & dash through without paying for the fines.....

A toll gate can be just installed at some point at the northern end for vehicles entering and leaving the EDL. They can modify all the other filter roads along the EDL to complement this. That toll gate after Perling for vehicles going to Bukit Indah is like this.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
A toll gate can be just installed at some point at the northern end for vehicles entering and leaving the EDL. They can modify all the other filter roads along the EDL to complement this. That toll gate after Perling for vehicles going to Bukit Indah is like this.

A bit hard to erect the toll gates without causing a jam, considering it's only 3 lanes. If using ERP-like technology, jam could be avoided. Erect around all the different exits/entrances such as Permas, Bakar Batu and Pandan.... Since it's so complicated, the cronies have decided on the simple solution of Woodlands toll instead.....

That also explains why it's taking so long to implement SG VEH fees. They need to come up with a system similar to autopass card, and it takes time.

Last edited:

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
somehow i suspect those living in jb even semi-permanently are considering the new tolls a blessing in disguise! no more jams is good.

U r right. If less jam then retiring in jb is the best, no working full time I mean
buy a msian car
drive to jb central, park there
Take a bus to kranji mrt,
and off you go
Rtn vice versa
no toll, no vep

Will this work?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
U r right. If less jam then retiring in jb is the best, no working full time I mean
buy a msian car
and off you go
Rtn vice versa
no toll, no vep

Will this work?

Come back , car kena ranksack or gone ! :biggrin:

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
buy a msian car drive to jb central, park there. Will this work?

Thanks for this option Bros. It will work I am sure, cos I have taken the bus to JB sentral and from there hailed a taxi to Molek. But there is no dedicated parking areas. Perhaps when JBCC is up there will be lots of parking places and we could take up monthly parking.

Retiring in Jb can mean different things to different people. If retiring in JB means staying there for a month or two, the toll hikes are insignificant. But if retiring there means coming back to Singapore five days a week, then, paying the high toll hikes is too much. It is not a matter of affordability. Why pay more when we are going there to spend money ?

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
buy a msian car
and off you go
Rtn vice versa
no toll, no vep

Will this work?

You are right. I am so happy no jam now.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
In today's Zaobao, it is reported that the shops near the Causeway are suffering, and lobbying for a toll reduction. Also read in MY forum that more factory buses and lorries are turning to the 2nd link. Once SG matches MY toll, both links should be more evenly used. I think it will probably be around 65% at causeway & 35% at 2nd link?

Toll rates are ok

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
buy a msian car
and off you go
Rtn vice versa
no toll, no vep

Will this work?

Thousands of people are doing it every day....

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thousands of people are doing it every day....

seriously? then those retirees can start enjoy their jam free days la.
i really would like to do that. tell my kids pick me up at spore whilst i pick them up at jb.
wow thats really feasible right? i mean short of car being ransacked which we dont hope for.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal

they should just collect toll at the kempas side!! after BDO exit. haha!

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
buy a msian car
and off you go
Rtn vice versa
no toll, no vep

Will this work?

yup. a bit leceh but doable.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

The problem is they promised the locals that EDL will be free. They have been stressing that those who does not use the custom will not be charge for EDL usage. But they need some suckers to pay for the EDL construction and maintenance and they figure out conveniently that those suckers shall be the one who are related in some way with Singapore - be it they come from Singapore or work in Singapore or do biz with Singapore.

But if these people does not want to be made a sucker and refused to use the causeway as often; then the locals without any relation to Singapore becomes the real losers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.