• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whole unit or just room? If whole unit, heheheh..u better watch out, u better dun cry..

Whole unit. I rented to Indian students from India and had bad experience. But the money was good. But overall still regretted. Now have Filipino potential tenants so feeling jittery.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on my personal experience my Filiphinos S pass holders tenants cant tahan the smell of curry. They will tell you in the face to inform the indian tenant not to cook curry at home as its very "smelly"

The Singapore Power guy came to turn on electricity and he straight away said, Indians? The smell was a giveaway.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whole unit. I rented to Indian students from India and had bad experience. But the money was good. But overall still regretted. Now have Filipino potential tenants so feeling jittery.

It depends on your luck, but try to avoid students as they have a much higher tendency to trash your units and they are much more transient.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weak ringgit spurs business from Singapore tourists, property buyers
Published: 9 August 2015 11:21 AM

Not all is gloomy in Malaysia due to its weak ringgit: tourism-related businesses as well as the property sector are enjoying robust business from Singapore.

Real estate consultant Khalil Adis, writing on property website iProperty.com.my, said the devaluation of the ringgit had caused Singaporeans to flock to Malaysia as they get more for their money.

He said the recent June school holidays saw Singaporeans coming to Malaysia in droves due to the record low exchange rate.

In June this year, the exchange rate was RM2.80 for every Singapore dollar.

Khalil, who claimed to be in Malaysia almost every week, said this helped boost tourism-related industries such as food and beverage, hotel, homestay and short-term rentals.

He said Singaporeans are thronging the malls in Johor Baru while car washing outlets were seen doing brisk business with Singapore-registered cars.

He said the Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fee imposed by Malaysian customs had not stopped Singaporeans from coming over.

"In this case, even small to medium-sized enterprises benefited immensely from the spillover impact from Singapore," he wrote.

The ringgit is Asia's worst performing currency this year, amid concerns over Malaysia's shrinking international reserves, battered by sliding commodities prices and the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal linked to prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

The ringgit declined to a 17-year low as of August 6, trading at RM3.9265 against the US dollar.

The exchange rates also saw some Singaporeans taking advantage to buy properties in Iskandar Malaysia, giving the property market a "marginal boost", said Khalil.

He said some projects in the KLCC area were snapped up by foreign investors who felt that this was an opportune time to enter the market.

"With an average pricing of RM2,500 per sq ft, Singaporean investors snapped up studio units at one particular iconic development located in the heart of KLCC. When converted to Singapore dollar, you cannot even get a similar property at a prime location in the Lion City.

"As Singaporeans and foreigners need to pay state levy in each state when they purchase a property, government coffers from Johor to Kuala Lumpur have received an added boost," he said.

He said the purchases would have spillover effects to other related industries such as law firms, interior design companies and real estate agencies.

Despite this, Khalil cautioned that Malaysians and foreigners with significant savings in Malaysian banks and exposure to businesses there would be the losers due to the weakening ringgit.

He said some of his Malaysian friends have decided against visiting Singapore or holidaying abroad, including Thailand, a favorite destination among Malaysians due to the Thai Baht's low value.

This is no longer the case now as the Thai Baht had strengthened considerably against the ringgit.

He also said a Singaporean who does business in Malaysia and has a Malaysian bank account is not converting his ringgit to Singapore dollar, as he could not spend "that much in Singapore for my day-to-day living”.

He said foreigners with businesses in Malaysia have noted significant drops in their revenue as the shrinking ringgit.

But Khalil said consumers looking to buy property are now faced with rising construction costs, as some materials are imported, and developers will pass these costs to them.

"For those who are thinking of buying a commercial property, you will be hit with a double whammy – GST and rising construction costs.

"Even the renovation sector will not be spared as they will pass on the costs to consumers for luxury materials like Italian marble and so on," he said.

Khalil's advice to beat the ringgit blue?

"The best hedge against it is to invest in a property and focus on capital appreciation. I believe that is the best bet for Malaysians right now". – August 9, 2015.

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...tourists-property-buyers#sthash.tl3TQ1e2.dpuf

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The contrasting fates of S’pore and M’sia

BY DEVADAS KRISHNADAS
PUBLISHED: 4:16 AM, AUGUST 10, 2015

Fifty years ago, Singapore was ejected from the Malaysian Federation. The two countries have since travelled very divergent paths while sharing some common characteristics. Both countries were colonised by the British, both were occupied by the Japanese during the World War II, both are multi-racial and multi-religious, and both have experienced considerable economic improvement since independence.

They also have significant differences. These differences should have been telling in favour of Malaysia. It was the hinterland for the Singapore economy. It had land, a multi-source commodity economy and a sizeable population. Singapore found itself suddenly distinct from its major market, dependent on Malaysia for water and faced with the hurdles of setting up shop as a newly sovereign state.

However, today, Singapore has celebrated its 50th year of independence in the best possible shape — politically stable, economically promising and socially affluent.

Malaysia, in contrast, lags behind Singapore on these counts. Putrajaya’s credibility has been undermined by its handling of the controversy over 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

The political landscape is poisoned by suspicion and distrust among the races.

The Malaysian economy is running on fumes. The ringgit is at a 17-year low as investor confidence bleeds away.

Malaysia has for decades suffered a brain drain of its most talented, with Singapore a major beneficiary.

What lessons can be learnt from this dichotomy that seemed so unlikely 50 years ago?

FINDING THE RIGHT LEADERSHIP

First, what seemed like a disadvantage — not having a resource economy to rely on — proved to be a blessing for Singapore. The absence of the easy option of selling natural resources forced the Republic to focus intently on finding a myriad ways of making herself relevant to the global economy. This continues to be a perennial preoccupation for Singapore’s economic planners.

Second, an emphasis on human capital. Singapore’s leaders recognised that to make a go of things, it had only the quality of the people to rely on. Hence, it had to mobilise the full extent of Singapore’s human capital and to deal with the world on a competitive basis. This led to a decision to make English the language of commerce, administration and education and heavy investments into public education.

The high level of literacy and education among Singaporeans has been a major factor in ensuring that our workforce is plugged into the global economy.

Malaysia chose to adopt Malay as its language of administration and education, and its public education infrastructure leaves much to be desired. The result is a population whose most-driven opt for private education to help actualise their educational and professional aspirations.

Third, from the onset Singapore adopted the principal of meritocracy. Malaysia chose to legalise racial preference through the bumiputra policy. Its politics are also explicitly organised along racial lines. The end result of the choice of meritocracy is a Singapore where there is social mobility, reward for achievement and a sense of fair play. People vote with their feet, and Singapore has been the beneficiary of decades of talent migration from across the border.

Fourth, integrity. Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s pioneer administration set a hard and uncompromising standard of incorruptibility. This reputation for political and administrative integrity has had positive spillover effects as a generally desired social value in private and economic spheres as well. Malaysia, in contrast, has been dogged by decades of allegations of impropriety, of which the ongoing case involving 1MDB is merely the latest.

However, despite where things stand, Singapore’s future is not necessarily more assured than Malaysia’s.

First, while Malaysia can continue to reply on resource extraction, Singapore is in a permanent state of economic competition. The Republic’s success has been paralleled by rising costs that make it less cost competitive. Singapore now faces competition from rising regional neighbours and from changing global chains, most particularly the opening-up of the north and north-west trade routes in the Arctic.

Second, Singapore is facing hard constraints on land and population. Malaysia has space and people to spare. Singapore has to adapt its way past these constraints through innovation in land use and with significant labour productivity improvements.

Third, neither Malaysians nor global investors have high expectations of Malaysian political and bureaucratic leaders. This is in contrast to Singapore, where both the population and investors treat a high standard of political and public leadership as synonymous with Singapore and a critical success factor.

The recurring political question for Singapore is, can it continue to find the right leadership for each generation? The formula of using academic achievement to filter out those to lead is simplistic and naive. So much of what constitutes leadership is not what is in the head, but what is in the heart. The exam for the heart is life, struggle, hardship and failure — the very opposite of unrelenting success, career ease and guaranteed professional validation.

Singapore’s greatest risk is not that we cannot find leaders, it is that we may not find the ones that really matter. We must not lose sight of what leading should mean and assume that we can administratively churn out leaders.

The more pertinent tale of two countries is ultimately not about Singapore and Malaysia — although there are lessons to be heeded — but between Singapore past and the Singapore to come.

Singapore is a hard act to follow. The contrast in performance with Malaysia is stark. But Malaysia’s future as a nation is not in doubt. Singapore’s future, however, is highly conditional. As we celebrate 50 years of independence, we would do well to keep in mind that there is no certainty that we will have another 50.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Devadas Krishnadas is chief executive of Future-Moves Group, an international strategic consultancy and executive education provider based in Singapore. This commentary first appeared on his Facebook page.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/contrasting-fates-spore-and-msia

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am just amaze that these Chinese Malaysian likes to compare Singapore with their Malaysia. It no brainer who will win hands down. They get themselves humble and hurt in process. These Malaysian specially Chinese wanted comfort,security and stability but yet lament that the state is mistreating them. They should bend together and do something on their own.

This is a specially evident behaviour on the Malaysian Chinese working here.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they feel that they don't have the numbers. Even if they band together they don't have the majority to force the issue.
That was partially the rationale that LKY wanted Singapore to get into the federation add the Chinese population together with the Indian would give them a fighting chance in KL parliament.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am just amaze that these Chinese Malaysian likes to compare Singapore with their Malaysia. It no brainer who will win hands down. They get themselves humble and hurt in process. These Malaysian specially Chinese wanted comfort,security and stability but yet lament that the state is mistreating them. They should bend together and do something on their own.

This is a specially evident behaviour on the Malaysian Chinese working here.

Come SG 100, it is debatable whether Singaporeans can continue to look down on our neighbours across the border. If we can increase to 10m population come SG 100, we may have a fighting chance.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Come SG 100, it is debatable whether Singaporeans can continue to look down on our neighbours across the border. If we can increase to 10m population come SG 100, we may have a fighting chance.

Depend on what they import . If all import from China , SG100=CNY450 , If from India SG100=INR4500, If made in Singapore , SG100=RM500. Option 1 is more likely , so that neighbouring countries still LL , no fight !

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depend on what they import . If all import from China , SG100=CNY450 , If from India SG100=INR4500, If made in Singapore , SG100=RM500. Option 1 is more likely , so that neighbouring countries still LL , no fight !

Hahaha... anyway imagine if SG grows its GDP by 2.5% a year for the next 50 years, while MY grows its GDP by 5% a year for the next 50 years. The gap will surely narrow tremendously.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha... anyway imagine if SG grows its GDP by 2.5% a year for the next 50 years, while MY grows its GDP by 5% a year for the next 50 years. The gap will surely narrow tremendously.

GDP growth and the country's actual development can sometimes unrelated.
MY is a country so rich with natural resources that even their rain water is fetching millions $$$ for them annually for doing absolutely nothing.
But then, see how billions$$$$ can be so easily siphoned out by unscrupulous politicians, so how can the country ever see development?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
GDP growth and the country's actual development can sometimes unrelated.
MY is a country so rich with natural resources that even their rain water is fetching millions $$$ for them annually for doing absolutely nothing.
But then, see how billions$$$$ can be so easily siphoned out by unscrupulous politicians, so how can the country ever see development?

But Malaysia is still the 2nd most developed country in South East Asia besides SG right, in spite of all the corruption? Their brain drain is their most serious problem, but at least 50-100 years later, Malaysia will still probably exist.

Not so sure about SG's star in 50 years time. Lucky I will be a very old man then.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Malaysia is still the 2nd most developed country in South East Asia besides SG right, in spite of all the corruption? Their brain drain is their most serious problem, but at least 50-100 years later, Malaysia will still probably exist.

Not so sure about SG's star in 50 years time. Lucky I will be a very old man then.

Wah, 50 years later you are still around......either you expect to live beyond 100 or you must be very young now.
As I said, if not for the mismanagement of the country, MY with their almost endless rich natural resources, their GDP and general progress should be at least on par with SG.
A good example and a mirror to their success is the fate of SIA and MAS, one keep making money became a successful global airline while the other keep losing it and became bankrupt and was bailout.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking down on them ?

I didn't. But seriously they should become more realistic. Singapore has provided them with job stability and security.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a city state, in 24 hrs LKY could have travelled the entire nation and sense what is going on. One Danga bay development can produce 10k condo units, any private condo development like that in Singapore.
The challenges of running a country vs a city state are different.
Will some of Singapore policies develop a wider gap between the elite and heartlanders when applied to Malaysia ?
Many of us here in this forum are going over because of some of the Malaysian policies. Imagine JB to be another Singapore like city, crowded public transport, expensive real estate, high cost of living, high medical cost .........
Perhaps Singapore could have gotten more rights by learning what Malaysia did do right.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking to my business associate from Taiwan who is not based in in a semi D factory in Iskandar ( S$600,000 Freehold Vs S$3.5 million 60 year in Singapore )

He said don't compare about other prices. The parking of 10 vehicles alone in Singapore he is paying S$900 in his own factory in Singapore. In Iskandar he can park 10 or 20 vehicles FOC. So every month on parking charges alone he is saving S$900 already.. also on petrol.. road tax, cost of vehs etc.

IF Msia is on par with SG this forum won't have existed.
So i'm no complaining as Iskandar still attracts me greatly.
My living expenses is less than 50% compared to SG.
In a House instead of a Flat. Numerous others to quote.
Of course there will be Pros/Cons. Horses for courses.
Politics is not for me to judge/comment. I'm just a simple guy.
As long as Iskandar serves my simple needs it's GOOD. :smile:
50 years later i'm most probably DEAD anyway. :rolleyes:

:cool:

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has any daily commuters register their vehicles on the JPJ website? I've been trawling their site but can't find anywhere to register. Any kind souls can post the link to the registration here?

Status
Not open for further replies.