• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just can't imagine the govt will introduce something punitive.
They just got too much investments which need Singapore dollars to keep it moving.

At the end of the day money talks. Increase VEP, reduce cars going Johor, reduce inflow of sing$$.

Even the Malaysian govt should be able to connect the dots.

so lets see who's the first to blink?

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just can't imagine the govt will introduce something punitive.
They just got too much investments which need Singapore dollars to keep it moving.
At the end of the day money talks. Increase VEP, reduce cars going Johor, reduce inflow of sing$$.
Even the Malaysian govt should be able to connect the dots.

I fully agree with Cow138.....As the news of the impending VEP fees hit 'foreigners', many will say goodbye to Princess Cove, Country Garden and many more. Just cannot imagine the cost of lost business and S$ when it is implemented just to make themselves feel better. I tend to think Singapore's increase appears moderated with the aim of smoothening the flow of traffic into Singapore during office hours, but I don't know what JB has in mind. Any VEP fees, whether RM5 to RM100 does not make sense. The silver lining is the expected smoother flow of traffic but JB will stand to lose more. I wonder whether the Singapore businesses operating or will be operating in Iskandar will reconsider their options. I suppose Najib is making noise first to see what comes.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
My relative was born in, grew up and educated in Malaysia (JB to specific). Like many Johoreans, he came to Singapore for better career prospect.

For survival he quickly acclimatised to Singapore way of living, eventually became "Singaporized" thinking Malaysia is a hopeless country beyond redemption and "Jiu Hu lang" are low class peasants. He denounced his Malaysian citizenship because his wife and children are Singaporean, able to travel to Japan/China/USA without applying VISA and able to enjoy the regular payout by the most ^successful government in the region.

Such Kia Su mindset is very contagious, knowing it is not gracious but many still succumbed to it.

^Cold blooded and efficient, people dislike but still continue to vote for them:kma:

Which part is the kia su mindset? changing of citizenship to Singaporean? the ability to travel without visa to some countries? or the taking of payout from govt?

I know one Msian chinese who was complaining about BN govt, but he is happily collecting free medicine from JB govt hospital. Also heard from another Msian Chinese about collecting the BN govt payout during election but not voting for them. So what is the difference?

TrulyAsia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depending on individuals, typically those Malaysians chosen to convert citizenship due to monetary reasons.

They can save as much as S$60k / S$30k / S$13k respectively for main upgrading, lift upgrading and home improvement upgrading programme by HDB. Subsequently after the conversion, they are entitled to purchase new HDB flats at so called “subsidized” price which claimed to be comparatively lower than similar flats in open/resale market.

Put it bluntly, after GE 13 in Year 2013 most Chinese Malaysians realized their votes no longer decide the destiny of the country and that is the difference. I shall not elaborate further :smile:

Which part is the kia su mindset? changing of citizenship to Singaporean? the ability to travel without visa to some countries? or the taking of payout from govt?

I know one Msian chinese who was complaining about BN govt, but he is happily collecting free medicine from JB govt hospital. Also heard from another Msian Chinese about collecting the BN govt payout during election but not voting for them. So what is the difference?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way I heard the levy to enter Malaysia is to be confirmed at RM 100 per entry. Donno how true this is!

If this is, Game Over![/QUOTE]

If it is RM100, it will be suicidal for the owners and investors for Iskandar. My friend who has bought into Iskandar region is sweating blood now, she has bought into the shoe box unit kind of condo, expecting to be paid RM2500 per month from rental income.

If the levy charges really apply to Singkie cars, i hope God has mercy on them.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Put it bluntly, after GE 13 in Year 2013 most Chinese Malaysians realized their votes no longer decide the destiny of the country and that is the difference. I shall not elaborate further :smile:

In his latest book, I think LKY has already pointed out that both sides will need to consider the demographics of the country, no matter who's in charge. He does not dismiss the possibility that a highly educated, uncorrupted elite Malay class may emerge 1 day to overhaul the country, but the possibility is slim.

He also dismisses the current opposition as not even having a vaguely similar ideology but are a bunch of opportunists, or strange bed fellows. Something to that extent. Well, looking at comments from DAP and PAS on the formulation of the religious state, his assessment seems quite close to the mark.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore 'concerned' over Malaysia's move to impose entry fees
POSTED: 18 Jul 2014 16:35
UPDATED: 18 Jul 2014 16:50

The Ministry of Transport says it is concerned whether the entry fee on foreign-registered vehicles is directed towards Singaporean vehicles.

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Transport has issued a statement citing concern over whether Malaysia’s decision to impose an entry fee on foreign-registered vehicles is directed towards Singaporean vehicles, as it was reported that it would only be levied in Johor Baru.

A spokesperson from the ministry said it has contacted its counterparts in Malaysia for details of the fee.

The statement also explained that the basis of Singapore’s Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) and Goods Vehicle Permit (GVP) fees is not discriminatory, but serves to equalise the cost of owning and using foreign-registered vehicles on Singapore roads with that for Singapore-registered vehicles.

The statement said: "Singapore-registered vehicles are subject to significantly different costs such as the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and vehicle taxes, amongst others. In fact, the last time the VEP fee for cars was changed in 2004, it was lowered, largely because of the lower cost of COEs during that period."

The spokesperson added that as the cost difference in owning and using foreign-registered and Singapore-registered cars and goods vehicles has widened in recent years, this had given rise to the need to revise the VEP fee for cars and the GVP fee for goods vehicles, from S$20 to S$35 a day for the former, and from S$10 to S$40 per month for the latter. The VEP fee for foreign-registered motorcycles remains unchanged.

"All foreign-registered cars and motorcycles continue to enjoy the following VEP-free days and VEP-free hours:
a) Saturdays, Sundays and Singapore Public Holidays;
b) 10 normal weekdays per calendar year; and
c) Between 5pm and 2am on all other days (these VEP-free hours are extended to start at 12 noon instead of 5pm during the June and December Singapore school holidays).

"The above works out to a total of around 125 days per year that are VEP-free on top of the daily VEP-free hours," the statement said.

- CNA/by

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-concerned-over/1270886.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore government is really concerned about Malaysia targeting S-plate drivers having to pay more entering Johor :p

29lakopi

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way I heard the levy to enter Malaysia is to be confirmed at RM 100 per entry. Donno how true this is!

If this is, Game Over!

If it is RM100, it will be suicidal for the owners and investors for Iskandar. My friend who has bought into Iskandar region is sweating blood now, she has bought into the shoe box unit kind of condo, expecting to be paid RM2500 per month from rental income.

If the levy charges really apply to Singkie cars, i hope God has mercy on them.[/QUOTE]

VEP of RM100 is a suggestion and the date to implement it is still in the unknown ... will have to wait and see !

29lakopi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore government is really concerned about Malaysia targeting S-plate drivers having to pay more entering Johor :p

Reclaiming land developers have to pay levy per PST, entering JB have to pay VEP, what will come next ? Place a gantry immediately after the custom ? aka ERP ... or MRP ...:*:

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal

The statement said: "Singapore-registered vehicles are subject to significantly different costs such as the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and vehicle taxes, amongst others. In fact, the last time the VEP fee for cars was changed in 2004, it was lowered, largely because of the lower cost of COEs during that period."]

It will always be a problem as long as COE still in placed..
Remove the COE lah :p

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

LTA "concerned" first, then on the basis of equality between SG and MY vehicles, a similar levy will be charged on MY cars entering SG. So easy to see how this is going to pan out......

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

The statement also explained that the basis of Singapore’s Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) and Goods Vehicle Permit (GVP) fees is not discriminatory, but serves to equalise the cost of owning and using foreign-registered vehicles on Singapore roads with that for Singapore-registered vehicles.

The statement said: "Singapore-registered vehicles are subject to significantly different costs such as the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and vehicle taxes, amongst others. In fact, the last time the VEP fee for cars was changed in 2004, it was lowered, largely because of the lower cost of COEs during that period."

The spokesperson added that as the cost difference in owning and using foreign-registered and Singapore-registered cars and goods vehicles has widened in recent years, this had given rise to the need to revise the VEP fee for cars and the GVP fee for goods vehicles, from S$20 to S$35 a day for the former, and from S$10 to S$40 per month for the latter. The VEP fee for foreign-registered motorcycles remains unchanged.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-concerned-over/1270886.html

By this reasoning above by the Singapore govt, I do not understand why Singapore still prohibit Singaporeans and SPRs from driving a Malaysian car in Singpore when the Malaysian authorities does not prohibit their Citizens from driving Singapore car on Malaysia roads.

Basically with the VEP fee, it should deter Singaporeans from buying a Malaysia car and use it frequently on Singapore roads. It does not make sense in saying they are not discriminating on their policy making. This prohibition should be removed by the Singapore govt to show that they are not discriminating on their own citizens from driving a Malaysian car in Singapore.

Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will largely affect the regular travellers.

For others, we can manage/reduce our trips.

If this is, Game Over!

If the levy charges really apply to Singkie cars, i hope God has mercy on them.[/QUOTE]

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
So the VEP was actually lowered in 2004 due to low COE. Adjust once every 10 years only, must adjust regularly to prevent such outburst.

The Ministry of Transport says it is concerned whether the entry fee on foreign-registered vehicles is directed towards Singaporean vehicles.

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Transport has issued a statement citing concern over whether Malaysia’s decision to impose an entry fee on foreign-registered vehicles is directed towards Singaporean vehicles, as it was reported that it would only be levied in Johor Baru.

A spokesperson from the ministry said it has contacted its counterparts in Malaysia for details of the fee.

"All foreign-registered cars and motorcycles continue to enjoy the following VEP-free days and VEP-free hours:
a) Saturdays, Sundays and Singapore Public Holidays;
b) 10 normal weekdays per calendar year; and
c) Between 5pm and 2am on all other days (these VEP-free hours are extended to start at 12 noon instead of 5pm during the June and December Singapore school holidays).

"The above works out to a total of around 125 days per year that are VEP-free on top of the daily VEP-free hours," the statement said.

- CNA/by

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Depending on individuals, typically those Malaysians chosen to convert citizenship due to monetary reasons.

They can save as much as S$60k / S$30k / S$13k respectively for main upgrading, lift upgrading and home improvement upgrading programme by HDB. Subsequently after the conversion, they are entitled to purchase new HDB flats at so called “subsidized” price which claimed to be comparatively lower than similar flats in open/resale market.

I wish I am born a Msian, can buy HDB flat under the SPR sibling scheme last time, then now convert to Spore citizen and get $60k upgrading carrot and enjoy few hundred k appreciation of my HDB value. Very good leh, I sure convert! Better than born and bred citizen who cannot buy flat before aged 35!

Status
Not open for further replies.