• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
On a side note, with the constant bickering on the vitriol racial issues by UMNO and Perkasa and coupled with all these vehicle fees and tolls (by both countries), it is becoming difficult and getting unfavorable for Sinkies to consider buying properties to reside in JB going into the future. In fact, it may become a risk in the future, what's more with the over pricing of the properties in JB now.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Unfortunately that's pretty true.
Every other day something new that upsets the balance especially from the Malaysian govt. The reclamation of the land at the second link is another sore point which will boil over.. Not easily resolved since apparently the sultan has a vested interest.
Have to seriously think things through if interested to invest in Iskandar.

On a side note, with the constant bickering on the vitriol racial issues by UMNO and Perkasa and coupled with all these vehicle fees and tolls (by both countries), it is becoming difficult and getting unfavorable for Sinkies to consider buying properties to reside in JB going into the future. In fact, it may become a risk in the future, what's more with the over pricing of the properties in JB now.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

I certainly hope so otherwise MY land will get a lot of money from the two links while losing a lot more from their businesses and investment! For ease of reading the news, here is the link: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/johor-vep-roll-mid-2015-000916866.html
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/s-7-55-vep-fee-may-prompt/1542762.html.

With some quarters supporting the move and saying that the VEP is easy on Singaporeans, I believe the implementation will be complete.

Very weird Federal Govt give in to State Govt request to implement VEP. Well this request is easy to accede to as it will add to the Fed Govt coffer. If follow by per day then it will hv spinoff for the car market as more Spr /sg ditch sg cara for msian cars if they follow their routine of keepg a weekend car or always park their sg plate cara in jb homes.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very weird Federal Govt give in to State Govt request to implement VEP. Well this request is easy to accede to as it will add to the Fed Govt coffer. If follow by per day then it will hv spinoff for the car market as more Spr /sg ditch sg cara for msian cars if they follow their routine of keepg a weekend car or always park their sg plate cara in jb homes.

Actually for the VEP, the net benefits to MY govt are not so obvious, hence their cautious stand in deciding on RM20 as a start.

With GST implementation next April, a drastic reduction in SG vistors translate into lesser GST to collect (from shopping, petrol etc), and they also lose out on the toll collection of RM16.50 (Assuming its via causeway).

People who think the MY govt may opt for RM50 for max revenue collection, think too little of the MY govt. From my interactions with some investment officials, quite a number of them are well educated and pretty smart. They will know how to do their maths, or if not, they can hire the pros to do the financial modelling.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually for the VEP, the net benefits to MY govt are not so obvious, hence their cautious stand in deciding on RM20 as a start.

With GST implementation next April, a drastic reduction in SG vistors translate into lesser GST to collect (from shopping, petrol etc), and they also lose out on the toll collection of RM16.50 (Assuming its via causeway).

People who think the MY govt may opt for RM50 for max revenue collection, think too little of the MY govt. From my interactions with some investment officials, quite a number of them are well educated and pretty smart. They will know how to do their maths, or if not, they can hire the pros to do the financial modelling.

Yes bro. Never doubted their intelligence. Vestige of British bureacracy like spore where the brightest are roped into the Civil Svc. Spore rationale for vep is totally different fr Msia although the end pdt is similar ie govt coffer increase.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes bro. Never doubted their intelligence. Vestige of British bureacracy like spore where the brightest are roped into the Civil Svc. Spore rationale for vep is totally different fr Msia although the end pdt is similar ie govt coffer increase.

Haha sorry bro, I don't mean u, I mean some of the other forumers, who think that MY will wantonly increase the VEP to RM50 to cover for shortfalls in other areas.... They underestimate the intelligence of the MY officials. Over the years, I gradually realised that the MY govt is pretty shrewd when it comes to money matters, be it spending or 'masuk'....... :biggrin:

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha sorry bro, I don't mean u, I mean some of the other forumers, who think that MY will wantonly increase the VEP to RM50 to cover for shortfalls in other areas.... They underestimate the intelligence of the MY officials. Over the years, I gradually realised that the MY govt is pretty shrewd when it comes to money matters, be it spending or 'masuk'....... :biggrin:

Bro dont get me wrong i also dont think you meant me. Now my concern is if motorbikes also kenna vep like spore keke cos i also ride bike. If like that i double whammy.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant beat them, so join them

When it comes to squeezing money, Singapore govt is world famous. This time they lag behind Malaysia stance and I don't think they will be happy doing nothing. Its a good chance to increase VEP to Spore to RM50. The jam into Singapore on Christmas eve today starts from 430am @ Tuas. I had to Q for a good 20 minutes.

As anticipated, the Sinkie government is ever ready to do a tit-for-tat.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surviving the Causeway crush
The New Paper
Wednesday, Dec 24, 2014

Throw in the school holidays, Christmas shopping and the weaker Malaysian ringgit, and you have the reasons for so many Singaporeans heading up north for shopping.

But that also means traffic snarls that can last three hours if you try to get through the Causeway.

So how do you survive it?

With plenty of smiles, said Singaporeans The New Paper interviewed.

Oh, and it's a good idea to pack food and load the tablets with lots of movies.

Banking associate Mazlindah Abdul Ma'moon, 44, said her family makes sure their iPad is stocked with movies and that their car has plenty of food and tidbits.

"I also make sure my kids go to the washroom before embarking on the trip," she said.

Ms Mazlindah and her family, which includes three children aged 14 to 19, were going to a relative's wedding.

They travel to Johor Baru weekly to shop and eat there.

She also travels there so her two sons can practise motorsports at a circuit there.

On Saturday, The New Paper team drove to JB via the Woodlands checkpoint. Progress was halted at Woodlands Avenue 3, as more than a hundred cars were lined up in front of us, waiting to cross the border.

Technician Sumarni Kader, 39, was heading to JB with her family for their monthly shopping trip.

She told TNP, speaking while in her car at Woodlands Avenue 3, that the average drive from that point to past the Johor checkpoint is about an hour.

But judging from the jam, she was expecting a journey twice as long.

Her family passes the time by playing games on their mobile devices and watching movies on the car's DVD player. These activities help pacify her three children, aged seven to 15.

"On top of tidbits and drinks, I sometimes cook fried rice for the trip," she said.

How popular is JB as a shopping destination?

The Straits Times reported that Singaporeans make up 40 per cent of the 27 million people who visit Johor Bahru City Square each year. The mall is the closest to the Causeway.

The TNP team finally passed the Johor checkpoint three hours after we had reached Woodlands Avenue 3, where the jam had started.

Drivers are not the only ones affected by the jams. Bus passengers also face huge crowds at the bus stops.

When it is really bad, some abandon the wait for a bus, preferring instead to walk across the Causeway.

A 45-year-old technical manager, who wanted to be known only as Mr Faran, was one of the many who chose to go on foot.

"It takes so long to board a bus that walking into JB is actually a much better option," he said.

There were also traffic jams on the roads leading back to Singapore.

The TNP team took one hour and 40 minutes to travel from the Johor checkpoint into Singapore, past the Woodlands checkpoint.

The trip would normally take about half an hour.

But Ms Mazlindah and her family say the hassle is worth it.

"The journey in took us almost three hours and the journey back took almost two hours. But we managed to do everything we had set out to do," she said.

But for others, like Madam Sumarni, the trip was simply too time-consuming.

She said: "I left JB at around 6pm and was stuck in the jam until 9pm.

"I didn't even manage to get all my shopping done as we wanted to leave early to try to avoid the jam."

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/surviving-causeway-crush#sthash.vsnqaT7K.dpuf

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surviving the Causeway crush
The TNP team finally passed the Johor checkpoint three hours after we had reached Woodlands Avenue 3, where the jam had started.

The TNP team took one hour and 40 minutes to travel from the Johor checkpoint into Singapore, past the Woodlands checkpoint.
And IRONICALLY, the LTA is catching and fining motorists who leave their vehicle's engine ON whilst stationary. Imagine a total of 4 hours and 40 minutes of traffic congestion to get to JB and back. And there are several hundreds of cars involved.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA is run by a bunch of very intelligent scholars. You can doubt their intelligence/capability but never doubt their straight A. Its a fact that they got all As

And IRONICALLY, the LTA is catching and fining motorists who leave their vehicle's engine ON whilst stationary. Imagine a total of 4 hours and 40 minutes of traffic congestion to get to JB and back. And there are several hundreds of cars involved.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
is it true the rental and sales of landed property in jb is very slow?

Indeed it has been slower than the booming time ( I would think its now back to normal.. previously was abnormal ).

My agent had 10 viewings a days sometimes even on a weekday during the booming time. Now its like 3-5.

Personally my spore properties has been so much hard to dispose of and rent out.. not that Iskandar is doing better.. but its better than Singapore side. Its must easier to sell a S$400,000 freehold condo up north then a $1 million leasehold condo in Singapore if you are selling to a Sing dollar earner.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in JB recently after my last visit which was like more than 10 years ago. To be frank, I can distinctly tell the difference in the JB town. It is now more orderly and with new roads and other infra on the way. For those who can remember how JB looks like 10 years ago, you know what I mean.
If you can see the potential of this place in 5-10 years time, can consider investing for own stay and capital gain.
My opinion is don't have to worry about the local msia salary not catching up with the property prices, you are going for the high end housing and not the affordable housing. It's a different category.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite true Danga Bay and JB City centre is still not that organised compared to Singapore as it takes a lot of years and effort to revamp the whole place.

But if one were to drive around Sunway Iskandar, Medini, LEGOLAND side all the way into the Puteri Harbour which is the heart of Nusajaya, you will know that all these NEW-JB makes Singapore developments look like 3rd world developments.

Our HDBs design and exterior suddenly resembled poor man estate even though it is RM 1 million cos RM 1 million can buy you a high class sea-front freehold condos with luxury finishing just a few hundred metre away from Tengah. 10 Years later I am quite sure first time tourists from the West will mistook Nusajaya as Singapore and Singapore as a backward town part of Malaysia judging from the beauty of the buildings and roads

I was in JB recently after my last visit which was like more than 10 years ago. To be frank, I can distinctly tell the difference in the JB town. It is now more orderly and with new roads and other infra on the way. For those who can remember how JB looks like 10 years ago, you know what I mean.
If you can see the potential of this place in 5-10 years time, can consider investing for own stay and capital gain.
My opinion is don't have to worry about the local msia salary not catching up with the property prices, you are going for the high end housing and not the affordable housing. It's a different category.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
True bro

Provided they can sustain the place because the issue with My is the lack of maintenance culture but they are slowly but surely doing something about it. Then Sg must buck up and wake up their idea

Quite true Danga Bay and JB City centre is still not that organised compared to Singapore as it takes a lot of years and effort to revamp the whole place.

But if one were to drive around Sunway Iskandar, Medini, LEGOLAND side all the way into the Puteri Harbour which is the heart of Nusajaya, you will know that all these NEW-JB makes Singapore developments look like 3rd world developments.

Our HDBs design and exterior suddenly resembled poor man estate even though it is RM 1 million cos RM 1 million can buy you a high class sea-front freehold condos with luxury finishing just a few hundred metre away from Tengah. 10 Years later I am quite sure first time tourists from the West will mistook Nusajaya as Singapore and Singapore as a backward town part of Malaysia judging from the beauty of the buildings and roads

dare2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I parked at Aeon for 8 hours on Christmas Day....total parking fees $1RM.....compared with what I would pay if I park at say Jurong Point.....much more if I park at Taka for 8 hours(Easily SG$25)......so effectively $20RM(approx SG$8) VEP can be offset by parking chrages alone if you decide to shop in Sg instead of JB......I saved on movies...makan....massage....and groceries....plus various other items shopped.....and on the way back one qtr tank of petrol.....driving thru the checkpoints was a breeze...possibly thanks to all the hype that scare fellow Sinkies away.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup.. But ultimately what type of shops are there? Compared to Singapore shopping..
You kinda pay for what you get.
Malaysia is starting to catch up with Singapore in terms of costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.