• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal

that why most of us think our boss /company is a shit place but we still work there coz they pay us.

Yah it is a very different situation if a consumer have to pay a entry fee to enter a shop to buy things unless they are selling at heavily discounted prices and there are things in the shop that he wants to buy.

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.asiaone.com/news/ride/johor-agreeable-levy-proposal-singapore-cars-malaysia

The Star/Asia News Network

Friday, Jul 04, 2014

JOHOR BARU - Johor will not object if the Government decides to impose a levy on Singaporean cars entering Malaysia.

State Public Works, Rural and Regional Development Committee chairman Datuk Hasni Mohammad said besides a token toll charge, Singaporean cars entering the state capital currently do not have to pay any fee.

He said the proposal to impose a levy on these cars, which had been forwarded by Johor to the Federal Government, was reasonable at RM50 (S$20)per vehicle due to Singapore's favourable exchange rate against the Malaysian ringgit.

"Personally, I see that the fee will not be a burden for Malaysians working in the republic or Singaporeans coming into Johor Baru regularly," he said in an interview here yesterday.

> He is the first Malaysian politician that I am aware of that admitted openly that Malaysians are driving SG plate cars. When he see a SG plate car littering in JB wonder will he without a doubt say Singaporean are throwing rubbish out of their cars when driving in Malaysia road.

The proposal, added Hasni, was not new as the previous state administration had made a similar suggestion, adding that this was merely "a follow-up".

The previous administration, he said, had decided to propose the levy due to the high volume of Singaporean cars using the country's roads and infrastructure.

The money collected could be set aside to help maintain the roads in the state, he pointed out.

> Are they not already collecting toll charges on their highway? Why only need to collect from Singapore cars to maintain their roads and infrastructure? Are Singapore cars more prone to cause damage to their already "fragile" roads and infrastructure?

"They (Singaporeans) have caused many problems, especially traffic congestion in the city centre," he said.

> Now he conveniently put the blame totally on Singaporeans for the many problems caused and not also on Singapore registered cars driven by Malaysians.

If traffic congestion is in the city centre, why not just propose a ERP gantry to solve the problem right at where it occurred. Why need to charge SG cars going to KL , Genting or other states; why chop off your whole hand when only your little finger is rotting?

In 2006, the Government had decided that a fee - probably about RM20 - would be levied on cars from Singapore and Thailand to offset some of the petrol subsidy lost to these vehicles. However, this proposal was never carried out.

> Why it wasn't carried out then in 2006 and has now become justifiable when foreign cars are already not allowed to purchase subsidized Ron 92 petrol in Malaysia show how much brain cells he has in his head.

Hasni said it was unfair for the Singaporean government to impose a fee for any Malaysian-registered vehicles entering the island and to even increase this beginning Aug 1.

> Will it be fairer if Malaysians drive in their relatively much cheaper Protons and Benz in doves and "walk" their cars together with the rest of the overpriced Singapore cars during the peak hours?

On Tuesday, Singapore's Land Transport Authority had announced an increase for its Vehicle Entry Permit and Goods Vehicle Permit beginning Aug 1, which would see foreign-registered cars having to pay S$35 per day, up from S$20.

Comments in red within the quotes.

Last edited:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... sg gov use 車 to 将!! If they gong gong follow e footsteps. :p

Sure the ultimate winners are the Singapore govt and the ultimate losers are travelers who cant get to go JB or to schools in Singapore.. and of course that will affect Malaysia economy and the government there.

Singapore government is getting more and more cunning. Let the whole world fight, they benefit when the entire Singaporean travelers decide to spend their money to boost local economy. All petrol stations here will see vast increase in sales as I reckon at least 20% of the local vehicles petrols are pumped in JB

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
just wait n see how long they will revert back la ..... relax .....

actually msia may just implement an increase levy simply for an increase sake but
they are always ready to reverse it. surely not for spore. they are very inconsistent
in that regard. this first august increase for spore side kills many birds at one go.
go figure out.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure the ultimate winners are the Singapore govt and the ultimate losers are travelers who cant get to go JB or to schools in Singapore.. and of course that will affect Malaysia economy and the government there.

Singapore government is getting more and more cunning. Let the whole world fight, they benefit when the entire Singaporean travelers decide to spend their money to boost local economy. All petrol stations here will see vast increase in sales as I reckon at least 20% of the local vehicles petrols are pumped in JB

I tot someone wrote in to LTA to increase e levy...

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wrote in to increase to S$50 per day but the scholars only listened to my half. Don't worry I will shoot another letter in this week to make it S$50/ day. Hope Singapore govt can impose a FULL tank penalty to Singapore cars and a 10 year jail for those who tamper with their fuel guage too as I am sick of squeezing with motorists who go JB empty tank just to pump petrol

I tot someone wrote in to LTA to increase e levy...

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually one group of humble motorists ( be them Singaporeans or Malaysians ) are not and will never be affected by the levy.

I have a friend who stays in Kukup. She will drive her car to Gelang Patah bus interchange and park her car there and take Causeway link into Singapore.

At the end of the day, she takes bus back to Gelang Patah and drive home A humble lifestyle which lasted for 1-2 years and she is happy with it. No need to pay S$700 ( RM 2000 ) levy to drive into Singapore. If Singaporeans living in JB can learn more than her and park their JB cars in Gelang Patah and take bus to work at 5am daily, there is nothing to complain if JB govt impose RM 20/entry for Singapore cars.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am supportive of Malaysian Tit for Tat action to charge foreign car entry fees. IF Singapore is charging S$35 for foreign car into Singapore, Malaysian should likewise charge at least RM90 for Singapore cars into Malaysia during the chargeable period from 2am to 5pm during weekdays and 2am to 12 pm during the June and December Holiday month.

This will only affect mostly those (whether be it a Singaporean or SPR ) who have been benefitting from using a Singapore car and residing in cheaper and better housing in JB to commute daily to work in Singapore during weekdays to earn higher Singapore dollar. They can well afford to pay for the toll as they have been benefiting from this situation compared to their peers living in Singapore and earning Singapore dollars.

From a local Malaysian working in Malaysia and earning lower ringgit standpoint, it is only fair that their peers earning higher Singapore dollars pay for the road congestion caused during weekdays.

They won't be charging the same hours as Spore 2 am to 5 pm as they charge like that they will collect not much as not much traffic before 5 pm back to JB so might as well don't charge. So they will charge by tourist peak hours and not commuter peak hours.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually one group of humble motorists ( be them Singaporeans or Malaysians ) are not and will never be affected by the levy.

I have a friend who stays in Kukup. She will drive her car to Gelang Patah bus interchange and park her car there and take Causeway link into Singapore.

At the end of the day, she takes bus back to Gelang Patah and drive home A humble lifestyle which lasted for 1-2 years and she is happy with it. No need to pay S$700 ( RM 2000 ) levy to drive into Singapore. If Singaporeans living in JB can learn more than her and park their JB cars in Gelang Patah and take bus to work at 5am daily, there is nothing to complain if JB govt impose RM 20/entry for Singapore cars.

I think if Spore has a neighbour country that offers Singaporean jobs at 2.5 times currency, if I am in my twenties, I will gladly take bus to cross the custom to work if I am not willing to pay the VEP. Knowing that I just need to slog like this for short term only and live like a king at 2.5 salary compared to those working in Spore. What is there to complain?

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact is now the Malaysians today are not the ones credited to building Singapore in the past. Now they are allowed to pay and drive their cars into Singapore and clear customs all in the comfort of a car and still they can whine till cows come home. Their forefathers who use to ride bikes toil for their studies back home and ringgit wasn't even 2.5 times during their times are long gone

I think if Spore has a neighbour country that offers Singaporean jobs at 2.5 times currency, if I am in my twenties, I will gladly take bus to cross the custom to work if I am not willing to pay the VEP. Knowing that I just need to slog like this for short term only and live like a king at 2.5 salary compared to those working in Spore. What is there to complain?

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Government is all about total capitalism. You want to come, you pay. You don't like, you leave. There's no such thing called free rides. But that what make Singapore rich and successful as what it is today. It is a proven formula.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right in a way. I heard many of my colleagues telling me many young Malaysians were complaining on facebook that they need to pay S$35 to drive into Singapore to earn S$2000/month. This is totally absurd and spoilt generation. I always tell people that the current generation of younger Malaysians just cannot be compared to those in the past. In the past, did you ever hear of those seniors griping while riding into Singapore and cheonging the messy old JB kastams?

That's why we don't bother to recruit Malaysians since 3 years ago.. Last time its only Malaysians that we recruit.. now all bosses around me would rather stick to lazy young Singaporeans as they can speak English and the difference end there

Singapore Government is all about total capitalism. You want to come, you pay. You don't like, you leave. There's no such thing called free rides. But that what make Singapore rich and successful as what it is today. It is a proven formula.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wrote in to increase to S$50 per day but the scholars only listened to my half. Don't worry I will shoot another letter in this week to make it S$50/ day. Hope Singapore govt can impose a FULL tank penalty to Singapore cars and a 10 year jail for those who tamper with their fuel guage too as I am sick of squeezing with motorists who go JB empty tank just to pump petrol

A lot of property buyers, PRs n SG retirees in JB will thank you for your effort.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact is now the Malaysians today are not the ones credited to building Singapore in the past. Now they are allowed to pay and drive their cars into Singapore and clear customs all in the comfort of a car and still they can whine till cows come home. Their forefathers who use to ride bikes toil for their studies back home and ringgit wasn't even 2.5 times during their times are long gone

To prevent this kind of problem, LTA should just tag the VEP to 6 month moving average of COE price. Singaporeans are big hearted and generous to share and let foreigners enjoy low VEP if COE moving average price is low. But no one in the right mind should expect a country policy to be such that locals to pay expensive while foreigners should pay cheap.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Proven formula? Which other country does this? It is a formula that no one will want it for their own country but other people's country no problem.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right in a way. I heard many of my colleagues telling me many young Malaysians were complaining on facebook that they need to pay S$35 to drive into Singapore to earn S$2000/month. This is totally absurd and spoilt generation. I always tell people that the current generation of younger Malaysians just cannot be compared to those in the past. In the past, did you ever hear of those seniors griping while riding into Singapore and cheonging the messy old JB kastams?

That's why we don't bother to recruit Malaysians since 3 years ago.. Last time its only Malaysians that we recruit.. now all bosses around me would rather stick to lazy young Singaporeans as they can speak English and the difference end there

So young Msians are complaining in facebook to pay $35 to drive into Spore to work? Really very pampered, why must drive and cannot take bus across custom? Don't people all take bus and walk when young? Can even walk a long distance to save some cents when schooling.

Btw I think $35 is still low, should be $50 per day indeed since many Msians carpool and share the increase in fee between driver and four passengers. Pay as you use flexibility is already a big discount even at $50 per day.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal

How can we compare. My father told me he walked to school bare footed. I had shoes and took the bus. I drive my kids to school. This is progress.

I do not know how my grandchildren will go to school, may be teleported, may be virtually, may be beyond my imagination.

One PM inspired me as a teenager to look forward to a swiss standard of living. I did not know what that was then. So as a young adult I was fortunate to be given a training trip to Lucerne. Very beautiful, place and life. What a PM to have such a vision. Now after so many years later, Singapore has a higher GDP per capita than Switzeland but do we have a higher standard of living or life ?

It is only natural for each generation to aspire something better.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
True. When a Toyota Vios in JB ( brand new ) cost just S$28,000 and the brand new cost S$115,000 ( 4 times more ), a $50/day levy is really very cheap already. $100 per day is also cheap as insurance in JB cost S$200 compared to S$2000 in Singapore per year and road tax is about S$50 in Malaysia compared to S$700 in Singapore

so at $35/day still complain till kingdom come? *Shake Head*

So young Msians are complaining in facebook to pay $35 to drive into Spore to work? Really very pampered, why must drive and cannot take bus across custom? Don't people all take bus and walk when young? Can even walk a long distance to save some cents when schooling.

Btw I think $35 is still low, should be $50 per day indeed since many Msians carpool and share the increase in fee between driver and four passengers. Pay as you use flexibility is already a big discount even at $50 per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.