• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, the Federal Government are not much bothered about Jb or Kulai business as much of them are shopping and eating. These are the businesses who do not contribute much to the national coffers. They need immediate cash for road upkeep, and not years later after IRB go into action. Foreign cars provide immediate and consistent inputs. Just my 2 sen worth.

The paradox is that a lot of the SG-plated daily commuters are actually their local born SG PRs, who will surely vote against them come GE time, if this is ever implemented. Not to mention many disgruntled JB retailers, hair dressers, restaurants, property companies etc etc.....

Already BN is seeing some vote swings back to them due to the Islamic state issue. Personally if I were Najib, it's not worth the risk to implement this policy, though it will smoothen the jam.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe hor , if they clever enough , they might introuduce monthly pass for their citizens who are SPR .....Or they only check by passport even though driving sg car..... so only singaporeans will kenna lor .....

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The paradox is that a lot of the SG-plated daily commuters are actually their local born SG PRs, who will surely vote against them come GE time, if this is ever implemented. Not to mention many disgruntled JB retailers, hair dressers, restaurants, property companies etc etc.....

Already BN is seeing some vote swings back to them due to the Islamic state issue. Personally if I were Najib, it's not worth the risk to implement this policy, though it will smoothen the jam.

SG PRs were already voting against BN otherwise they wouldn't be a SG PR. And towns like JB, Kulai, Gelang Patah all voted for the opposition. Najib has nothing to lose.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG PRs were already voting against BN otherwise they wouldn't be a SG PR. And towns like JB, Kulai, Gelang Patah all voted for the opposition. Najib has nothing to lose.

Not true. I personally know a no. of PR who voted for BN, Chinese too. They want Najib's progress pledges, not just anti govt with no substantial proposals... The RM 50 levy will adversely affect the retailers, pump stations, property companies etc. And you say Najib has nothing to lose?

I am ok with paying RM 50 if it smoothens the jam, since I am just a weekender, but perhaps you might want to spare a thought for your fellow citizens who commute daily?

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of them are daily commuter. Charge Rm1 or Rm100 make no difference to the traffic. How many of those who come in for food and shoopping actuall6 contribute to the jam?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
just wait n see how long they will revert back la ..... relax .....

Haven't imprement wat , only talk lah. If really imprement , I think a lot of SPRs going to be out of jobs soon. Singaporean can choose to shop in Singapore lah , we are not lacking of shoping mall wat.
I would say at least 70% of SG cars you see on a weekday peak hour belong to SPRs. Malaysia levy $20 (RM50) plus toll and petrol about $20/- Total per day is about $40/= x 26day = $1040/= per mth . Plus vehicle ownership , insurance , road tax = $1,500 per mth , Wow $2,540/= , better stay at home in JB , dont work !

Last edited:

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, then all Sporean/Malaysians staying in JB but working in Singapore will be screwed.

but isn't that good? no more jams. singapore should jack up VEP to 70SGD and m/sia tit for tat slap 100RM fee for singapore car. like a game of political chicken.

ComingToJB

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their retailers income will also be reduced tremendously too. :smile:

Currently, example shopping centre,
Weekdays - Quite quiet... Weekends/PH - very crowded

I think after implementation,
Weekdays - Super quiet... Weekend/PH - Moderate

So is up to them lor..

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that this issue is a timely reminder that investing in Malaysia this type of tic for tac retaliatory policy will always be around. This was the case even before independence.
While Johor is dependant on Singapore this will not be so prevalent however when Johor becomes a competitor and they want to play punk then foreign investors will be at their mercy. Look at the CLOB share issue.

Malaysian govt policy is sometimes quite mercurial. Maybe LKY is right after all.

Sunday

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, the Federal Government are not much bothered about Jb or Kulai business as much of them are shopping and eating. These are the businesses who do not contribute much to the national coffers. They need immediate cash for road upkeep, and not years later after IRB go into action. Foreign cars provide immediate and consistent inputs. Just my 2 sen worth.

hummm..... I m not sure even if we pay the RM50, the road condition will improve.... . I think they spent lot of RM on the road but these contracts are always end up in some special group of people. This is the main issue in M'sia, just 2 2 cents worth of comments.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
hummm..... I m not sure even if we pay the RM50, the road condition will improve.... . I think they spent lot of RM on the road but these contracts are always end up in some special group of people. This is the main issue in M'sia, just 2 2 cents worth of comments.

Ever heard of any country that charges tourists to maintain roads? If Johore charge tourists for that, Spore should follow to charge VEP on Msia cars for weekend/public holidays too.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Currently, example shopping centre,
Weekdays - Quite quiet... Weekends/PH - very crowded

I think after implementation,
Weekdays - Super quiet... Weekend/PH - Moderate

So is up to them lor..

Is there really so many Singaporeans going over. On weekday my trip to city, bukit indah and sutera I hardly see S plate. On weekend some. My neighbours have almost all stop going over due to jam at causeway.

I remember seeing a chart it showed in 2013 per day on average over 200k malaysia cross the border and less than 100k non malaysian cross the border.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at the singapore end, it is an indirect devious ploy to discourage singaporeans to spent money up north,
similar to the 3/4 tank thingy, slow clearances etc etc

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am supportive of Malaysian Tit for Tat action to charge foreign car entry fees. IF Singapore is charging S$35 for foreign car into Singapore, Malaysian should likewise charge at least RM90 for Singapore cars into Malaysia during the chargeable period from 2am to 5pm during weekdays and 2am to 12 pm during the June and December Holiday month.

This will only affect mostly those (whether be it a Singaporean or SPR ) who have been benefitting from using a Singapore car and residing in cheaper and better housing in JB to commute daily to work in Singapore during weekdays to earn higher Singapore dollar. They can well afford to pay for the toll as they have been benefiting from this situation compared to their peers living in Singapore and earning Singapore dollars.

From a local Malaysian working in Malaysia and earning lower ringgit standpoint, it is only fair that their peers earning higher Singapore dollars pay for the road congestion caused during weekdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.