• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That said, many are happy living in HDB flats. It's a mindset. It's stupid to label them as "pigeonholes".
It is indeed injustice to label HDB flats as "pigeon holes". If one has been to Tokyo and Hongkong, then they will know what is really "pigeon holes". My nephew who rents an apartment in Cheong Sha Wan with his wife and a baby daughter. I've been there and his kitchen is so small that when you enter it in 1-step, you can only turn to your left and right. You can't even take a 2nd step whilst inside the kitchen. And yet, he's paying about S$2,200 for that very small studio apartment.

Nowadays, newer HDB estates come with very beautiful landscapes and also outdoor exercise facilities. For that price, convenience (lifts on every floor) and upgraded style of comfort (as compared to those flats in the 80s), I must admit that the government has done a pretty good job.

Mummymoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know right. I don't dare to say I eh sai...others will say I kena sai and digging my own grave.:o As shared before, this is one little man’s attempt to try to make life better for the family, to try to make a difference. It’s either that or remain in Singapore and maintain the status quo for pretty much the rest of our lives, and bear with the lack of space for a growing family. Admittedly I took some risks, so I am hoping that there will be some gains in future. No risk no gain, right? So far the HDB income has been a blessing these few years and helps towards the paying for the loans. If I don’t get some chronic sickness or don’t die on the roads, pray hard that everything goes smoothly and after about 4 years the financials should be better. So I covet any well-wishes you have for me and family!:p

You have my best wishes for you and your family. You made a decision based on the needs of your family. You put yourself out with the daily commute to ensure you provide a better life for them. To me, that is admirable and a mark of a great provider. Keep at it :smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is indeed injustice to label HDB flats as "pigeon holes". If one has been to Tokyo and Hongkong, then they will know what is really "pigeon holes". My nephew who rents an apartment in Cheong Sha Wan with his wife and a baby daughter. I've been there and his kitchen is so small that when you enter it in 1-step, you can only turn to your left and right. You can't even take a 2nd step whilst inside the kitchen. And yet, he's paying about S$2,200 for that very small studio apartment.

Nowadays, newer HDB estates come with very beautiful landscapes and also outdoor exercise facilities. For that price, convenience (lifts on every floor) and upgraded style of comfort (as compared to those flats in the 80s), I must admit that the government has done a pretty good job.

Yah man... It's still so liveable. Singaporeans generally like to complain but don't know how lucky they are. Many of my colleagues from China, India, Malaysia set up families here and they told me how glad they are to have moved here.

I like the idea that I can go out to eat my favorite food at 9pm at night. If I feel I need to chill out with friends, I can just walk 10 mins or take MRT 1 stop to a nearby mall with cinema and cafes. Feeling hungry and want supper? There are lots of good food out there that open till after midnight.

Some say food so expensive. Go Johor better. Come on, I've tasted lousy and expensive foods in Johor too. May not be as expensive as Singapore but by Malaysian standard, it is. Hawker food is the best in SG. S$3-4 for a nice plate of hawker food + dessert and drink all below S$10 unaffordable? You must be kidding! We earn SGD, not RM!

I can use my phone or carry my laptop in the open walking in the dark streets at 11pm after work. Females can do the same too. Rape? Haha.. sure it can happen. But how often? Usually it is only if you are of that kind of "colourful" profession, behave in a certain way and happen to be in some sleazy part of Singapore. I can't remember a single rape or robbery case happening in the last few years in a Singapore residential neighbourhood.

Johor? I think there are lots of such news that people take it to be the norm. We don't want to go into that. I bet those victims had previously thought to themselves it wouldn't happen to them. But it did. Anyway, This is not to pinpoint bad stuffs about Johor. It has its attractiveness. But my point is, Singaporeans need to know how lucky they are sometimes and stop complaining HDB flat too small, things too expensive, blah blah...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, if it works out for those who wish to live there or know what they are doing, it's ok. For investment, really a No no.

But no offence, I feel you over exaggerate sometimes by calling yourself "Peasant". I feel it is an insult to other genuine poorer people in Singapore. There are those than earn less than you and they don't even call themselves peasants.

I think it is a mindset about living in Singapore. Whether you feel miserable or happy in life lies in your choice. Whether life is easy or tough is based on your own psychology. A person who earns $20k a month may be unhappy. But I've been to 3rd world countries where the kids lead very simple lives wearing old clothes. They have the sweetest ready smiles on their faces.

That said, many are happy living in HDB flats. It's a mindset. It's stupid to label them as "pigeonholes".

I don’t feel that I am exaggerating when I place myself in the peasant class, at least not in the context of the richer folks here who owns multiple properties in Aussie land or NZ or London! I mean, we are talking about buying properties in this forum, isn’t it? So it’s not fair to bring in the abject poor into this at all. I have no intention of insulting the really poor people, where many don’t even have a roof over their heads. Sure, there are people who definitely earn lesser than me. But the person who is earning lesser than me with no wife and no kids to feed is already a few times richer than me based on income per head in a household. Heck, I don’t even have a retirement savings plan to speak of, since there’s not much left over after expenses. I do have a death plan though…a just nice adequate term insurance to cover the properties whereby if anything happen to me the roof over my family members are still intact, with not much left over. Hardly anywhere like my sis-in-law where she and my brother have insured themselves for millions whereby if anything happens to them their children also probably no need to work for the rest of their lives.

To call it a mere matter of mindset is a reductive fallacy. For many life is tough, which is hardly a matter of one’s psychology as your psychology do not change your circumstances from tough to easy or easy to tough. Of course one can maintain an attitude of joy and contentment in spite of the circumstances. That’s why people can still be happy living in pigeon holes. We were happy living in pigeon holes (that’s how HDB flats generally look like anyway!) when it’s only husband and wife. But when kids come along, the pigeon holes start to feel like pigeon holes.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That’s why people can still be happy living in pigeon holes. We were happy living in pigeon holes (that’s how HDB flats generally look like anyway!) when it’s only husband and wife. But when kids come along, the pigeon holes start to feel like pigeon holes.
LOL, don't forget that your "pigeon holes" is currently helping you in your monthly loans repayment. It is definitely giving you a good yield, considering the lower base price which you had paid for it. Without it, I doubt you'll dare to invest in that 2nd property in JB. One has to be grateful to that so-called "pigeon holes". I am myself for the same reason as yours although I am totally debt free.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
His negative comments are more relevant for investors. Unless this group has deep pockets and has positive long term view of Iskandar, it is better to stay away from investing in properties there. The other group looking for alternative/cheaper retirement/weekend home can consider Iskandar or nearby countries with weaker exchange rate.

Exactly right! And for those with even shallower pockets or less appetite for risk, rental in Iskandar is also a very viable option, get to live cheap and cash out on Singapore HDB.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have my best wishes for you and your family. You made a decision based on the needs of your family. You put yourself out with the daily commute to ensure you provide a better life for them. To me, that is admirable and a mark of a great provider. Keep at it :smile:

Thanks! I’m trying my best lah.:p I remember when we were scouting for a bigger HDB flat back in 2013, things looked so miserable because the COV demanded was so high for a jumbo flat. We just felt trapped in Singapore, can’t move up or down. But then a friend asked us to consider moving to JB, and there we saw a window of opportunity, which was fast closing due to the impending announcement of the minimum RM1 million. So we took the chance to try to buy a property, without the certainty that at the end of the day it would even be successful. And we were happy that the purchase process went well. The rest, as they said, is history. But I reckon it’s still going to be a bumpy ride for the family in the next few years. Just taking it one step at a time.:smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don’t feel that I am exaggerating when I place myself in the peasant class, at least not in the context of the richer folks here who owns multiple properties in Aussie land or NZ or London! I mean, we are talking about buying properties in this forum, isn’t it? So it’s not fair to bring in the abject poor into this at all. I have no intention of insulting the really poor people, where many don’t even have a roof over their heads. Sure, there are people who definitely earn lesser than me. But the person who is earning lesser than me with no wife and no kids to feed is already a few times richer than me based on income per head in a household. Heck, I don’t even have a retirement savings plan to speak of, since there’s not much left over after expenses. I do have a death plan though…a just nice adequate term insurance to cover the properties whereby if anything happen to me the roof over my family members are still intact, with not much left over. Hardly anywhere like my sis-in-law where she and my brother have insured themselves for millions whereby if anything happens to them their children also probably no need to work for the rest of their lives.

To call it a mere matter of mindset is a reductive fallacy. For many life is tough, which is hardly a matter of one’s psychology as your psychology do not change your circumstances from tough to easy or easy to tough. Of course one can maintain an attitude of joy and contentment in spite of the circumstances. That’s why people can still be happy living in pigeon holes. We were happy living in pigeon holes (that’s how HDB flats generally look like anyway!) when it’s only husband and wife. But when kids come along, the pigeon holes start to feel like pigeon holes.

It doesn't matter which forum you are in, or which group of people you are surrounded with. The fact that you call yourself "peasant" already shows the negative mindset you have about yourself. The definition doesn't change according to where you are; it's your interpretation of yourself that changes to make make you believe you are a peasant.

I am not rich but if am in the presence of multi-millionaires who drive Ferraris and their Lambos, I don't feel inferior. I won't call myself a peasant. Because I know who I am and I am happy financially. In fact, many of my colleagues are much richer than me and I daresay at least 80% live in private condos and houses due to their profession (I'm not in the same profession as them though!). But I've never felt inferior. We talk normally to one another.

Your last paragraph again shows your negativity -- calling a HDB flat "pigeonhole". If you label it as such, it becomes that way to you.

You said "for many life is tough..." Who are you referring to? Yourself? In what way is it tough? Define tough. We are not even talking about the poor who collects cardboards in Singapore. I think most agree that is tough. You can sit in office typing in this forum (like me!) so we can't be leading tough lives. I just feel sometimes we over-exaggerate things. How much is enough in life?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL, don't forget that your "pigeon holes" is currently helping you in your monthly loans repayment. It is definitely giving you a good yield, considering the lower base price which you had paid for it. Without it, I doubt you'll dare to invest in that 2nd property in JB. One has to be grateful to that so-called "pigeon holes". I am myself for the same reason as yours although I am totally debt free.

Hahaha... Well-said. I read a book by this local author who said some Singaporeans are an ungrateful lot. They insult HDB flats as low class, pigeonholes, for the poorer citizens... yet many actually use the flats as cash cows. They seem to forget that.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

LOL! Yep the rental from the HDB is really a plus. It definitely helps towards the mortgage and car loans I took up in JB. Never in our wildest dream did we ever thought we could one day derive passive income from our HDB. We read about others getting passive income but never thought we could. That’s why for us “Malaysia boleh” is quite true! I am also grateful to that property agent who adamantly told us to NEVER EVER sell our HDB flat away. He said if possible it is better to rent out the HDB flat for rental income. Here’s a good man who put others before his commission!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
To many ordinary Sinkies, the HDB is actually a blessing in disguise. It had enabled them to have their first home. So, be grateful with it.

Thereafter, those who can afford will proceed to upgrade. This is the norm in every society and that's what mankind is all about. Every sensible person will want to improve their lifestyles as they get older and wiser. Otherwise, where's the aim for going forward?

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesn't matter which forum you are in, or which group of people you are surrounded with. The fact that you call yourself "peasant" already shows the negative mindset you have about yourself. The definition doesn't change according to where you are; it's your interpretation of yourself that changes to make make you believe you are a peasant.

I am not rich but if am in the presence of multi-millionaires who drive Ferraris and their Lambos, I don't feel inferior. I won't call myself a peasant. Because I know who I am and I am happy financially. In fact, many of my colleagues are much richer than me and I daresay at least 80% live in private condos and houses due to their profession (I'm not in the same profession as them though!). But I've never felt inferior. We talk normally to one another.

Your last paragraph again shows your negativity -- calling a HDB flat "pigeonhole". If you label it as such, it becomes that way to you.

You said "for many life is tough..." Who are you referring to? Yourself? In what way is it tough? Define tough. We are not even talking about the poor who collects cardboards in Singapore. I think most agree that is tough. You can sit in office typing in this forum (like me!) so we can't be leading tough lives. I just feel sometimes we over-exaggerate things. How much is enough in life?

In my view the context certainly matters! Anyway, I don’t have a negative mindset about myself…I just recognise the category I am in. Besides. I am hardly ever in the presence of multi-millionaires. And it’s not even my interpretation of my circumstances. Is it a matter of interpretation and psychology that at the end of the month there is not much in terms of savings after expenses, not to mention retirement savings? To me, calling the HDB flat a pigeon hole is a tongue-in-cheek phrase, because that’s what it looks like, though design wise maybe the newer ones looked better. I read some people are now starting to call them “bee hives”!:eek: And like I mentioned, with a growing family, in time it does feels like a pigeon hole! Generally speaking, it is fair to say that for many in Singapore, life is tough. But again to use cardboard collecting as a reference point is not exactly a fair thing to do simply because we can always find an example to make all our grouses seem trivial or negligible. Like that it will simply shut down conversations. What is considered tough life would differ from person to person. To me, it is tough when we really need a bigger house in Singapore and there’s no way I can raise $100K in COV. It is also tough when my already cheap OPC car gets scrapped and I cannot afford a 50% down payment for another second hand. Mind you, taking public transport with a few young kids is no joke. Those without kids would say “can be done” while those more cynical would say “then stay at home lah! Come out for what?” It is also tough when wife says how nice if we can take a holiday in this place and I say “eh….no budget lah. JB can?”

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let Frodo go, by calling himself a peasant means he is only trying to be humble....we all know that one whose HDB is nearly paid up and owning 2 overseas properties including landed, is far from "peasant", also if it is insulting to the real peasants just think, but if he does not be so humble and call himself a peasant, then those rich ones who read what he owns, will say that he is insulting the rich by not calling himself a peasant......ha ha so he chose his poison and called himself peasant.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let Frodo go, by calling himself a peasant means he is only trying to be humble....we all know that one whose HDB is nearly paid up and owning 2 overseas properties including landed, is far from "peasant", also if it is insulting to the real peasants just think, but if he does not be so humble and call himself a peasant, then those rich ones who read what he owns, will say that he is insulting the rich by not calling himself a peasant......ha ha so he chose his poison and called himself peasant.

Again the context is important. I am not pretending to be humble. Like I said before, you would probably laugh if you peeked over and saw my 4 figure bank balance (including the 2 decimal points) by the end of the month. If I had not moved to JB, it would still be just one HDB that I have…on a 30 year full term loan…which I only tried to pay down via capital repayments recently. And the overseas properties are JB properties (not Singapore, London or Aussie) which only came about not because I had the money to buy them, but because the banks were “kind enough” (if those words can be used of banks) to extend the loans to me. And again all these were possible only because we decided to relocate to JB. It has absolutely nothing to do with my capability at all, financial or otherwise. We simply took the chance and leaped…and good thing we managed to land on something. Things could have easily turned out differently…and if it did…well you never would have heard from me on this forum at all.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agreed bro xebay11. As a matter of fact, I suspect I am right in the same boat as bro Frodo, the fact we are getting the same residence in JB resounded that:smile:

self proclaimed peasant is the self awareness of oneself. Bro Frodo might not be the true peasant as in the meaning of peasant, however with his pay, he has to upkeep his entire family and that is admirable to me at least. However that also means his disposal income monthly after subtracting his household expenses will be minimum as compared to many out that (given he is the sole breadwinner). I feel him as I am drawing what a lot of Malaysians deem as "High Income" after the conversion of currency, yet I finding it hard to maintain the high level lifestyle in JB after a year. In fact, I am just surviving with my parents and my wife. The plus point i see is I have a lifetime car now as long as it is still running and the 4 doors are intact. At the same time, I am finally owner of a freehold property. This is never going to be achievable with my current pay grade in Singapore.

Many talk about investing in IM, I think similar to bro Frodo, I am also left Singapore because of lack of options as my old folks are nearing retirement age without insurance and saving, the way to ensure I still have the capacity to look after them and not letting them work till they drop by cleaning tables or collecting cardboard when they are in their 70s is to move to JB and rent out the HDB to generate passive income.

One good thing about shifting over to JB is I am able to look at Singapore in a different light. I became less grumpily and more positive. Many things in life is with a choice, options might be limited but you can still make a choice on how you want to lead your life. Crossing the border daily for work is definitely a lot more taxing however if there are so many who are doing it day in day out for years, why can't we do the same in order to provide better living condition for our family is what I keep telling myself to drive me on. Not easy but doable.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
To many ordinary Sinkies, the HDB is actually a blessing in disguise. It had enabled them to have their first home. So, be grateful with it.

Thereafter, those who can afford will proceed to upgrade. This is the norm in every society and that's what mankind is all about. Every sensible person will want to improve their lifestyles as they get older and wiser. Otherwise, where's the aim for going forward?

The HDB was indeed our first home. It was truly a blessing, no disguise at all. It was a home with many fond memories. Kids were “made” there:biggrin: and raised there. But when we needed to upgrade we just simply could not afford it. The only upgrade we had for the HDB was the toilet upgrade inside our flat, and the lift upgrade which to us did not really count since we were already living on the lift landing level LOL!

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
The HDB was indeed our first home. It was truly a blessing, no disguise at all. It was a home with many fond memories. Kids were “made” there:biggrin: and raised there. But when we needed to upgrade we just simply could not afford it. The only upgrade we had for the HDB was the toilet upgrade inside our flat, and the lift upgrade which to us did not really count since we were already living on the lift landing level LOL!

For those who bought their HDB more than 10 years ago are the blessed ones... not the recent purchasers, till now many of my peers are still shocked at how much my 5 room flat cost as their 4 rooms are easily near to twice the price. For what I know, many of these late purchasers are topping up cash to their monthly mortgage payment after their monthly CPF contribution into their ordinary account is insufficient.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agreed bro xebay11. As a matter of fact, I suspect I am right in the same boat as bro Frodo, the fact we are getting the same residence in JB resounded that:smile:

self proclaimed peasant is the self awareness of oneself. Bro Frodo might not be the true peasant as in the meaning of peasant, however with his pay, he has to upkeep his entire family and that is admirable to me at least. However that also means his disposal income monthly after subtracting his household expenses will be minimum as compared to many out that (given he is the sole breadwinner). I feel him as I am drawing what a lot of Malaysians deem as "High Income" after the conversion of currency, yet I finding it hard to maintain the high level lifestyle in JB after a year. In fact, I am just surviving with my parents and my wife. The plus point i see is I have a lifetime car now as long as it is still running and the 4 doors are intact. At the same time, I am finally owner of a freehold property. This is never going to be achievable with my current pay grade in Singapore.

Many talk about investing in IM, I think similar to bro Frodo, I am also left Singapore because of lack of options as my old folks are nearing retirement age without insurance and saving, the way to ensure I still have the capacity to look after them and not letting them work till they drop by cleaning tables or collecting cardboard when they are in their 70s is to move to JB and rent out the HDB to generate passive income.

One good thing about shifting over to JB is I am able to look at Singapore in a different light. I became less grumpily and more positive. Many things in life is with a choice, options might be limited but you can still make a choice on how you want to lead your life. Crossing the border daily for work is definitely a lot more taxing however if there are so many who are doing it day in day out for years, why can't we do the same in order to provide better living condition for our family is what I keep telling myself to drive me on. Not easy but doable.

Everyone has their own problems and constraints. For people like Frodo, when he is talking about Starex MPV, he is definitely talking about big families. Big families means more rooms as daughters and sons start to grow up as young ladies and young men. I cannot see how them still sharing rooms and toilets. As parents, we want the best for them and give them what we can afford even if it means we as parents sacrifice a little. (Somehow my kids don't share these thoughts).

Then again you have aged parents. The least you can do is to give them space. My late brother had a bed ridden mother in law who make a mess of herself every time her own room. His wife has to clean up everytime and it is not easy to manage in a cramped up HDB. Anyway she was called to Lord's side but that was after 6 years. In JB, if it is a landed, things are more spaced out and even movements can be easier. One day, we would be like that as well.

Then you have children education to take care. What school, which school and cost of schools.

For investors who are single, it is totally different scenario. No baggage, no worries at least until many years later. Priorities are different.
You can rent and unrent anytime you want. Absolute freedom. Different talk altogether.

Then people talk about cut losses. Abandon the investment and screw the S&P. It is not that simple. Those who got in will find it very difficult to extricate himself out. If anyone say abandon ship, I would say..show me how.

My piece is to respect whatever decisions each make. I have no right to say they are right or wrong, cos everyone make decisions according to his wants and needs. Outsiders don't.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

I feel you, bro…when we become neighbours in 2018 we should meet and chill at the many fine eating places nearby. LOL!

I suppose to many Malaysians they might perceive we are living the high life. Well…in a way it’s true…but that’s also because of the currency conversion effect! People see us eating roast duck (RM50) twice a week may say “wah…not bad ah…jiak roast duck so often” but hey, that’s how much we would have paid for four bowls of fish ball noodles in Singapore, and my family is more than 4 pax! Or consider the purchase of the brand new car. Malaysians may say “wah…new expensive car leh!” but really, it’s the price of a COE which I can’t even pay for in Singapore in cash in order to renew a 10 year COE for my OPC. But in MY it is possible to take a car loan for that amount. Or take music classes. In Singapore one month is $120 but in JB it is RM120. Same figure but different currency! The way I see it, the favourable exchange rate does give us a “high life” living, for pretty much the same expenditure we would have incurred in Singapore. Also very true that we now look at Singapore in a different light. Now my kids don’t like to go back Singapore! LOL! No more SG car means taking public transport is very troublesome. Need to count heads and need to hold kids hands and need to walk “miles and miles” inside CIQ just to get outside! Last time everyone just stay in the SG car. Yep, crossing the Causeway is no walk in the park either. But as you so nicely put it, a better life for the family overall is what drives us on. Not easy but certainly doable. Life is tough ya?:wink:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will be more happier x 1000 times if im still staying in big piece of kampong land. Last time, old folks gong gong sold it away to the gov at dirt cheap price and bought HDB. Only the smart ones bought back freehold landed again. To me, HDB is..guess. :rolleyes:Wahaha...:p

Pay mthly maintenance ~$70 during old age? The gov will find a way downgrade for you if you cannot pay for it. Then you will start to think..Heng huh what a caring gov!:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.