• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our Spore 'cheng hu' knows our every detail, except our DOD! And so are we!
I attended a talk on Will writing, and the speaker did quote a few examples of those not writing out the Will in time, and its subsequent consequences. And end up a big chunk of the deceased money going to the lawyers and court fees.
If you do not have a will, the law decides how your assets are distributed?
So why let the law decide how the assets should be distributed?

I remembered he mentioned there was a case, the couple were undergoing divorce, but not finalized yet, and the man passed on, the to-be-divorced wife still get the money, but the mother did not get a single cent.

“Procrastination usually results in sorrowful regret.
Today’s duties put off until tomorrow give us a double burden to bear; the best way is to do them in their proper time.”

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uneasy write up but we have to face the truths at times.

Over the past 6 months, I attended wakes of 5 close relatives, one from cancer and four from major heart attacks. Their untimely deaths all came suddenly without warning. Coincidentally, last week, I also attended a wake on my nephew’s wife side of which the daughter in law died of brain hemorrhage while the father died on the same day also of heart attack. Life is so unpredictable these days. There are things we can avoid in life, there are also things we cannot. Birth, ageing, sickness and eventually death.

We also have to plan our life course in managing property investments. We are all running around chasing figures and often we neglect the health, financial stability and continuity to mortgage repayments. As I am a single income earner, I remembered there’s once I made myself to have a full medical check up before I signed the S&P. It is not that I do not have a house already but I do not want to burden my wife to carry on the paying for the extra house. At least there’s one purchase I still have a MRTA on the loan. Pay a bit of premium but I know things are taken care of.

But these days, I took the easy way out. All my properties and investments plus whatever personal stuff have joint names and accounts either with my wife or my sons. The saying goes..you may have lots of money but your wife and kids need to survive and access to those cash while going through the period of legal paperwork process which may take as long as 1 year. I may be dead but they need to eat daily, so to speak.

As for taxes, luckily in Malaysia, Singapore & Australia, there’s no estate duty tax but the estate duty / inheritance tax is UK is whopping 40%. This is ridiculous as it is easily GBP1000 psf in London. Maybe a visit to the trust lawyers would be in order. Wills and the uneasy paperwork had to be done.

I remember once I was talking to a friend on what to invest and what to chase and we even queue overnight to buy houses. But a few months later, he was diagnosed with kidney cancer and everything in the world dropped. It was like a big crash and he passed on 3 years later. But at least he had time to complete and do what he needed to do as far as investments is concerned.

My point is do not chase investments as if it is the only thing in the world. Invest only within our means and free of stress. If it is too painful, it is better to let go and be one property less. Afterall we want to invest with a clear mind for any eventuality for ourselves and our kids.

completely agree. recently my wife side also reported several 2nd or 3rd stage cancer diagnosis. Really make me relook my insurance coverage. I am close to RM1mil in debt in Malaysia while in Singapore I have HDB loan of SGD100k, really cannot afford to pass on without proper planning for my old folks and my wife as she is still craving out her career now. Anything happened to me will almost immediately crash her world to bits. Paying the premium monthly really painful though, can easily pay for instalment for a E class in malaysia.

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our Spore 'cheng hu' knows our every detail, except our DOD! And so are we!
I attended a talk on Will writing, and the speaker did quote a few examples of those not writing out the Will in time, and its subsequent consequences. And end up a big chunk of the deceased money going to the lawyers and court fees.
If you do not have a will, the law decides how your assets are distributed?
So why let the law decide how the assets should be distributed?

I remembered he mentioned there was a case, the couple were undergoing divorce, but not finalized yet, and the man passed on, the to-be-divorced wife still get the money, but the mother did not get a single cent.

“Procrastination usually results in sorrowful regret.
Today’s duties put off until tomorrow give us a double burden to bear; the best way is to do them in their proper time.”

really love this sort of discussion, really make us rethink life priority.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
completely agree. recently my wife side also reported several 2nd or 3rd stage cancer diagnosis. Really make me relook my insurance coverage. I am close to RM1mil in debt in Malaysia while in Singapore I have HDB loan of SGD100k, really cannot afford to pass on without proper planning for my old folks and my wife as she is still craving out her career now. Anything happened to me will almost immediately crash her world to bits. Paying the premium monthly really painful though, can easily pay for instalment for a E class in malaysia.

I took out a SAFRA group term insurance with Aviva. For $78 per month I just nice covered both JB property loans and still have $100K critical illness cover. It is the little I can afford for now, adequate to protect the assets but not much more. I did not take up the MRTA with the banks. I joke with my family that I am worth more dead than alive. LOL!

kslresidence

Alfrescian
Loyal
I took out a SAFRA group term insurance with Aviva. For $78 per month I just nice covered both JB property loans and still have $100K critical illness cover. It is the little I can afford for now, adequate to protect the assets but not much more. I did not take up the MRTA with the banks. I joke with my family that I am worth more dead than alive. LOL!

I am not a big fan of MRTA actually, prefer to have my term insurance, life insurance, critical illness and medicard.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why I started this discussion is I noticed many bros here all very stressed up on investments as if money is the only thing that matters in this world. You will never know what is stress until you see it with your own eyes. In this case I saw my brother lying in NUH suffering from cancer until his last days. He struggled for his family as he is the sole bread winner. He lost his job when his company was sold as they start to look for ways to terminate the veterans of the company. Being jobless over last 2 years, he tried manual labor, tried to do pest controls, tried direct selling, in the end he was diagnosed with cancer. He neglected all signs and when he was in pain, they x ray him, his bones had black patches. Too late. Though his HBD was fully paid up, his kids are all working, he never got a chance to see his kids walking down the aisle. He never saw retirement.

You never over commit in your investments as if you are superman. Sometimes we ran so fast, we assumed everything is all right until one falters. Interestingly enough, yesterday I received an offer below market price by 30%. Owner looking for fast cash and willing to let go. Property was in market and had many buyers but loans are hard to get. So do I dive in or not? Wifey said why do you need more but I am too stubborn to let go. I know I am not superman anymore. Contented or not is the big question. Life is like a paradox.

Last edited:

Jetstream

Alfrescian
Loyal

As the age-old saying goes, "money isn't everything, and certainly doesn't equate to happiness".

I was recently confronted with a decision whether to rent out my newly built 1-bedder in the heart of town next to my office (I bought it when launched few years back with view to rent, given its 5 mins walk to mrt). But after some deliberating upon TOP, I told myself: I think it's time for to start enjoying life a bit by living in the apartment myself and the conveniences of city living that came with it. So I decided to heck it and forego rental income. Yes it's not necessarily the most financially prudent, but if you keep postponing doing the things you want to do or the experiences to be had, you may just never have the opportunity to do so as you just never know when ur time may be up. So for now, it's chilling with wine on my balcony looking out to MBS, yoga every morning, 2x10-min meditation sessions daily, sipping my regular teh-c, and I'm happy. Little pleasures - something we all seek - can be found in simple things if u manage to discover ur inner self. Sorry this may sound very foreign or even spiritual to many, but it works for me, so I thought I'd share.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am the best, no need deep philosophies and life reflections, just never buy anything in Johor, everything fully paid, my investment HDB fully protected with HPS, so stress free and no sleepless nights....:smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why I started this discussion is I noticed many bros here all very stressed up on investments as if money is the only thing that matters in this world. You will never know what is stress until you see it with your own eyes. In this case I saw my brother lying in NUH suffering from cancer until his last days. He struggled for his family as he is the sole bread winner. He lost his job when his company was sold as they start to look for ways to terminate the veterans of the company. Being jobless over last 2 years, he tried manual labor, tried to do pest controls, tried direct selling, in the end he was diagnosed with cancer. He neglected all signs and when he was in pain, they x ray him, his bones had black patches. Too late. Though his HBD was fully paid up, his kids are all working, he never got a chance to see his kids walking down the aisle. He never saw retirement.

You never over commit in your investments as if you are superman. Sometimes we ran so fast, we assumed everything is all right until one falters. Interestingly enough, yesterday I received an offer below market price by 30%. Owner looking for fast cash and willing to let go. Property was in market and had many buyers but loans are hard to get. So do I dive in or not? Wifey said why do you need more but I am too stubborn to let go. I know I am not superman anymore. Contented or not is the big question. Life is like a paradox.

Hope his property rich brother has been helping his family :wink:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am the best, no need deep philosophies and life reflections, just never buy anything in Johor, everything fully paid, my investment HDB fully protected with HPS, so stress free and no sleepless nights....:smile:

The rich gets richer :smile: I wish I had a rich father too :wink:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems that Malaysians in general are super sensitive creatures ( don't whack me as 70% of my family members are Malaysians ). There is this talk about this Singaporean Ah-lian aka Brolly ger who whack the hell out of workshop staff and how the Singaporeans bully them.

For all of your info, this "ah lian" used to drink with me in Clarke quay as I bought insurance from her that was like 5-6 years back but I changed to direct asia ever since.

She told me her family is staying in S2 when I told her about my trip to Seremban Jusco and how nice that mall was. So this Sg VS MY saga is not even existence. Its another FT vs FT in Singapore.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems that Malaysians in general are super sensitive creatures ( don't whack me as 70% of my family members are Malaysians ). There is this talk about this Singaporean Ah-lian aka Brolly ger who whack the hell out of workshop staff and how the Singaporeans bully them.

For all of your info, this "ah lian" used to drink with me in Clarke quay as I bought insurance from her that was like 5-6 years back but I changed to direct asia ever since.

She told me her family is staying in S2 when I told her about my trip to Seremban Jusco and how nice that mall was. So this Sg VS MY saga is not even existence. Its another FT vs FT in Singapore.

One of the guys involved has a stake in both the insurance and workshop companies, and he is likely the cause of the brawl due to conflict of interest.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rich gets richer :smile: I wish I had a rich father too :wink:

Nothing to do with that, I wear a hat that fits and sleep well. If I were not so fortunate, I would just buy a single HDB and maybe when retire, use it for passive income and live in Johor.

toyohon

Alfrescian
Loyal
"According to a 2014 estimate by the Johor-Singapore Community Care Association, about 5,000 Singaporean families have set up home across the Causeway."

Does this mean 5,000 condos or landed in JB had been taken up on a permanent basis?[/
News

NationHome > News > Nation
Sunday, 29 May 2016
‘You can’t change place of birth’

BY YEE XIANG YUN

Popular Now in News

Johor Ruler visits his secondary school principal for Teacher's Day
Petrol pump perv busted on CCTV
Drama unfolds outside of MIC EGM
Noh: We'll meet BN party chiefs to explain Bill
Subra joins chorus of opposition to hudud
JOHOR BARU: A Johor leader has warned the people against falling victim to bogus agents who claim that they are able help people become Johoreans by helping them change their MyKad middle digits.

State Tourism, Domestic Trade and Consumerism Committee chairman Datuk Tee Siew Kiong said it had come to his attention that these so-called agents asked for fees of between thousands and tens of thousands for such services.

Tee said the agents claimed that they know people who can help to change a person’s MyKad middle digits to 01, which represents those born in Johor.

He said there were some enqui*ries from people outside Johor such as Selangor and Kuala Lumpur asking him whether it was possible for them to change their MyKad number to become a Johorean.

“I urge everyone especially those who are from other states not to believe claims from people who offer this type of services because the middle digits in our MyKad serves to signify our place of birth and there is no way to change it.

“However, it does not stop us from welcoming those who want to settle down or do business in Johor.

“You can just move here without having to make any change to your MyKad, as long as you adhere to the Johor way,” he said yesterday.

Tee added that currently there were many people who were not born in Johor but now call the state home without having to make any change in their identification documents.

He believed the term Bangsa Jo**hor, used to refer to those born in the state, and the introduction of the Johor Muafakat (Johor United) concept by the state government were what attracted many to become Johoreans.

Furthermore, he said, the state also enjoyed steady development, while people of various races live in harmony and had forged a stable and united relationship with each other.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumbfounded by this article. I'm very positive on JB, no haters here but this seems totally baseless.

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/property-news/2016/5/126510/top-10-rented-condos-in-malaysia

"According to an infographic released by PropertyGuru, the Face Platinum Suites tops the list as being the top rented condo in Malaysia.

Four of the highly rented high-rise residences are located in Kuala Lumpur. Meanwhile, five top rented condos’ are located in Johor. Besides KL and Johor, there’s one condo in Penang, Quayside, which manages to enter the list as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.