• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one is to make a return trip on the same day to do some shopping and leisure, the toll itself will be RM52. This will definitely remove majority of the day trippers. Good move to reduce the congestion on the causeway but really bad news for retail businesses there. Each car of 3-4 persons will at least spend RM400 ? Or more? Good news for sg retail as those money will be spend in sg instead.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope they increase the toll fast and the jams wont be there. I was struck in a 3 hour 2-5pm super hot sun jam on a normal Saturday recently and was cursing and swearing at their delay. Imagine jam 3 hours under the hot sun to go home to JB. I rather pay RM 20 daily.

If one is to make a return trip on the same day to do some shopping and leisure, the toll itself will be RM52. This will definitely remove majority of the day trippers. Good move to reduce the congestion on the causeway but really bad news for retail businesses there. Each car of 3-4 persons will at least spend RM400 ? Or more? Good news for sg retail as those money will be spend in sg instead.

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this is a bit late but I was just browsing and read that during CNY until Feb 28, all road / highway speed limits is reduced by 10km/h.
so just in case anyone here is driving around in m'sia, just a heads up. this is actually new to me, too. i tried checking the veracity of this info but couldn't find the exact press clip on the net. It seems that this is a practice during festive seasons.

"BANDAR TASIK SELATAN, Feb 12, 2015:

An analysis of previous trends has led authorities to believe that without a comprehensive road safety programme, the number of deadly road accidents that will occur this year is 8,760.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the number would increase further in 2020, predicted to be at 10,716.

“This is why we have put in place several strategies that will be conducted in our Road Safety Plan 2014 – 2020, which we believe will reduce the number of deaths caused by road accidents by 50% or more by 2020.”

Liow, who was officiating the national Road Safety Campaign in conjunction with the upcoming Chinese New Year here, added that the number of road accidents in 2014 was the lowest in 10 years.

“Deadly road accidents recorded during Ops Selamat 4 during last year’s Chinese New Year was 152, a decrease by 25 cases from 2013.

“Also, the number of deaths due to road accidents last year was 6,674, significantly lower that 2013 which recorded 6,915 deaths.”

Themed “Bertimbang Rasa Di Jalan Raya, Elak Terkorban Nyawa” (Consideration on the road, avoid loss of life), Ops Selamat 6 will take effect starting today and will last throughout the holiday season until Feb 27.

Among the initiatives under the operation are urine tests on all bus drivers at 30 terminals nationwide, placement of 1,800 Road Transport Department (JPJ) officers at every 30 kilometres on the state’s main roads and surveillance over the use of metres by taxi drivers.

The Transport Ministry will also carry out a prevention and surveillance programme that will see all maintenance and construction works on federal and state roads temporarily stopped until Feb 26.

“The pause will be exempted only for roadworks that involve fixing potholes and emergency and critical maintenance.”

Other initiatives include the drop of speed limit by 10kph and free 15 points motorcycle safety checks, aimed at reducing the risk of accidents and fatalities.

http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2015/02/12/8760-number-deadly-road-accidents-predicted-year/

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't fret. Most business is dependent on Singaporean for Business.
They won't roll out the VEP. If they do, they will cut the toll charges.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't fret. Most business is dependent on Singaporean for Business.
They won't roll out the VEP. If they do, they will cut the toll charges.

If indeed the VEP is rolled out (on a per entry basis, without free entries and time-based like SG), I think it is only fair that LTA reciprocate with a similar equivalent VEH on MY cars, as Lui Stuck You has hinted in Parliament.

The VEH can be incorporated in the S$35 charge for entries before 5 pm, to avoid another outcry of unfairness from Malaysian politicians......hahaha..... Happy CNY!

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought should welcome SG ppl in,gd for business and ppty,in return can tax ppty,tax business,clear the ppty oversupply?

To be frank, VEP cannot stop Singaporeans from keep coming to JB. The amount charge for VEP will be deemed affordable by majority Singaporeans.

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To be frank, VEP cannot stop Singaporeans from keep coming to JB. The amount charge for VEP will be deemed affordable by majority Singaporeans.

TO be frank, JB business have dropped by 20% since the last toll increase. Ask any restaurant owner/car wash/DVD/hair salon/nail salon/massage/policeman hiding behind the tree and you will know.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not in favour of punitive measures to control traffic.
infrastructure improvements must be the solution.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Like all trade relationship, the more the better. With the introduction of gst, the gov have more to gain if the shops, restaurants and other services do a roaring business. One of my colleaque told me he has drastically reduce his trips across due to the increased toll.

A third link is needed soon or the causeway and taus check points urgenty need an upgrade. Faster computers, more claerance station, special card/clearance for frequent commuters for both sides.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

No need to argue la kid, face the facts!
Today, Sunday and within the Chinese New year Week and the traffic condition at the Causeway was free flowing and ALMOST EMPTY!
The crowd at City Square was just like a normal weekday.
All these speak for itself.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans have no where to go and coming to JB is becoming a must to them. Like it or not. With VEP, they will just come in less frequent temporary. A month later the crowd will come back again.

cslong

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to argue la kid, face the facts!
Today, Sunday and within the Chinese New year Week and the traffic condition at the Causeway was free flowing and ALMOST EMPTY!
The crowd at City Square was just like a normal weekday.
All these speak for itself.

You are a chinese? You know now is still CNY period? People still busy in visiting relatives in Singapore la. Wake up la.... drink too much liao?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are a chinese? You know now is still CNY period? People still busy in visiting relatives in Singapore la. Wake up la.... drink too much liao?

Your tiny little brain is located in your backside and you are just talking thru your asshole!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
TO be frank, JB business have dropped by 20% since the last toll increase. Ask any restaurant owner/car wash/DVD/hair salon/nail salon/massage/policeman hiding behind the tree and you will know.

If paying Sgd 13.50 to and fro can provide a much better deal if Singaporean crosses over to shop, dine and have fun. I will gladly pay for it.
The quality is not there to begin with. Some of the items are as expensive as Singapore. Increasing toll will do lots of damage to the trades and businesses. It has been felt.

The sensible things to do is to reverse the toll charges and charge VEP only. VEP charges can be very flexible. Can also goes up when the demand for using the road is high. Can go lower to stimulate road usage to benefit the businesses.

Last edited:

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Malaysia govt can anytime change is policy.
Just go with the flow.
Basically not much long term planning.
Quite ridiculous.
They can't even decide where to site the RTS site Till now.

I won't be surprised if they blink first when the economic realities hit them

Aviator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Earlier bro mentioned drop of biz around 20%?...

As a partner of 3 different bizs in JB, I can safely say bizs has dropped up to 50% in some instances in the past 8-10 months.
This year looks to be v v tough.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Earlier bro mentioned drop of biz around 20%?...

As a partner of 3 different bizs in JB, I can safely say bizs has dropped up to 50% in some instances in the past 8-10 months.
This year looks to be v v tough.

Wait till Malaysia side implement VEP on their side. Your business will suffer more.

It just makes no sense for Johor Government to up the toll charges. The politics must be very complicated. I am sure they know all about it. But it just why are they so so careless ????

Last edited:

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wait till Malaysia side implement VEP on their side. Your business will suffer more.

It just makes no sense for Johor Government to up the toll charges. The politics must be very complicated. I am sure they know all about it. But it just why are they so so careless ????

Yup biz is going to be worse esp when the gst kicks in. Some ignorant fools still believe that JB economy Is propped up by sinkies. The way I look at it it's propped up by JB folks working in sg n the locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.