• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your Hyundai Starex + 2 properties in JB + HDB in Singapore = S$1.3m condo in Singapore + retirement money.........

Wah…cannot count like that one lah! OK…am going to be a bit transparent here.

If I had remained in Singapore, all I have would be my HDB, and one salary income. 100% no way can afford a $1.3m condo. Can’t even afford a booking fee! Can’t even get a bank loan. And worst, after scrapped car liao also not enough money to buy second hand car, not to say brand new. The 50% downpayment already I cannot make it. That’s how bad things are in Singapore.

But….in JB things a little different lor….what is tak boleh in Singapore becomes boleh liao….that’s the irony…play on home ground cannot…play away can….

Was very thankful to be able to get a landed…largely because it is cheaper compared to Singapore. $300K house verses $1.3m condo….I could just barely manage to raise the money for the initial payments and reno cost for the JB house…but no way for a Singapore condo. Then later found out that we could maybe own a Zone A condo with 20% rebate and 80% loan, so when the bank approved the loan we accepted it. Else if we let the opportunity slip by, it won’t come back again. With banks tightening their lending, there may not be a next time for me. Same thing with car…For about RM15K can get a new car, with the rest on car loan. Had we still remain in Singapore it would be completely impossible!

So you count lah, do I own or owe $1.3m? I feel it’s the latter….

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who want to invest, do so only if you have money. And choose to invest wisely on entities that have value.

No money don't anyhow invest just because things look cheaper, like buying Iskandar properties if you are non-Malaysian.

There are those lucky enough to have made money in the past as foreingers investing in Johor properties. Others are not so lucky as after factoring in currency exchange losses, they don't make at all. And finding buyers is a problem.

Unless you know what you are doing, or sure you want to live in the property, be careful.

No joke to be stuck with a S$300k property with no future buyers, high bank interest on your loan, face uncertain risks like change in policies and currency exchange.

Many foreign investors have left their Iskandar condos empty or are scrambling to find tenants now.

That money can be for your retirement (no need to buy in Johor, or why die die must retire there?!) or children's education.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah…cannot count like that one lah! OK…am going to be a bit transparent here.

If I had remained in Singapore, all I have would be my HDB, and one salary income. 100% no way can afford a $1.3m condo. Can’t even afford a booking fee! Can’t even get a bank loan. And worst, after scrapped car liao also not enough money to buy second hand car, not to say brand new. The 50% downpayment already I cannot make it. That’s how bad things are in Singapore.

But….in JB things a little different lor….what is tak boleh in Singapore becomes boleh liao….that’s the irony…play on home ground cannot…play away can….

Was very thankful to be able to get a landed…largely because it is cheaper compared to Singapore. $300K house verses $1.3m condo….I could just barely manage to raise the money for the initial payments and reno cost for the JB house…but no way for a Singapore condo. Then later found out that we could maybe own a Zone A condo with 20% rebate and 80% loan, so when the bank approved the loan we accepted it. Else if we let the opportunity slip by, it won’t come back again. With banks tightening their lending, there may not be a next time for me. Same thing with car…For about RM15K can get a new car, with the rest on car loan. Had we still remain in Singapore it would be completely impossible!

So you count lah, do I own or owe $1.3m? I feel it’s the latter….
You 1 person + HDB income, take so many loans. Quite a high risk indeed. You very the can one!!!

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That money can be for your retirement (no need to buy in Johor, or why die die must retire there?!) or children's education.
Retire in JB is ok. Lower living expenses (mainly from the exchange rate difference) and yet can still go back to Singapore for visiting at any time. But if working in Singapore and living in JB, I'll find it a big hassle until they resolve the long jam at the Customs clearance, which in my opinion is deliberate by Singapore.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You 1 person + HDB income, take so many loans. Quite a high risk indeed. You very the can one!!!

I know right. I don't dare to say I eh sai...others will say I kena sai and digging my own grave.:o As shared before, this is one little man’s attempt to try to make life better for the family, to try to make a difference. It’s either that or remain in Singapore and maintain the status quo for pretty much the rest of our lives, and bear with the lack of space for a growing family. Admittedly I took some risks, so I am hoping that there will be some gains in future. No risk no gain, right? So far the HDB income has been a blessing these few years and helps towards the paying for the loans. If I don’t get some chronic sickness or don’t die on the roads, pray hard that everything goes smoothly and after about 4 years the financials should be better. So I covet any well-wishes you have for me and family!:p

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who want to invest, do so only if you have money. And choose to invest wisely on entities that have value.

No money don't anyhow invest just because things look cheaper, like buying Iskandar properties if you are non-Malaysian.

There are those lucky enough to have made money in the past as foreingers investing in Johor properties. Others are not so lucky as after factoring in currency exchange losses, they don't make at all. And finding buyers is a problem.

Unless you know what you are doing, or sure you want to live in the property, be careful.

No joke to be stuck with a S$300k property with no future buyers, high bank interest on your loan, face uncertain risks like change in policies and currency exchange.

Many foreign investors have left their Iskandar condos empty or are scrambling to find tenants now.

Speaking for myself, as a peasant I never had $300K to begin with anyway. Even if I sell away my HDB and give up HDB forever, what’s left after paying back to CPF is probably less than $100K…which is easily gone in a few months or couple of years if renting in Singapore or JB. $100K can buy a condo in Singapore mah? A rich man can ask “why die die must retire in JB?” But for ordinary folk, maybe dying in JB is preferred to dying in Singapore?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking for myself, as a peasant I never had $300K to begin with anyway. Even if I sell away my HDB and give up HDB forever, what’s left after paying back to CPF is probably less than $100K…which is easily gone in a few months or couple of years if renting in Singapore or JB. $100K can buy a condo in Singapore mah? A rich man can ask “why die die must retire in JB?” But for ordinary folk, maybe dying in JB is preferred to dying in Singapore?

Everyman's dream start with the first step. In this case, you took the best step forward you have and it is a calculated move. You made your investment with informed decisions for the best interest of your family. No one is entitled to say you are right or wrong. God speed to you and your family.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think I could find fault with your decision to live in JB. After all one has also internal needs on top of material needs to look after.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyman's dream start with the first step. In this case, you took the best step forward you have and it is a calculated move. You made your investment with informed decisions for the best interest of your family. No one is entitled to say you are right or wrong. God speed to you and your family.

Thanks! Must really hang around people like you who are more encouraging. :biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think I could find fault with your decision to live in JB. After all one has also internal needs on top of material needs to look after.

Thanks! I am a simple man, my simple pleasures are watching (bootleg) movies from JB and reading free or inexpensive ebooks on my tablet. I normally buy business shirts once a year during Parkson sales. Can live in an ang moh chu in JB is already a dream come true.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

LOL! Thought I should also clarify a bit. I don't have S$1.3m in debts, and no bank would be stupid enough to lend me that sum of money either. However, my three JB big ticket items together do amount to about RM1.3m in bank loans though.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retire in JB is ok. Lower living expenses (mainly from the exchange rate difference) and yet can still go back to Singapore for visiting at any time. But if working in Singapore and living in JB, I'll find it a big hassle until they resolve the long jam at the Customs clearance, which in my opinion is deliberate by Singapore.

Really depends on individual. Some people no matter what won't retire in Johor for a variety of reasons. I even have Malaysian friends who became Singaporeans or PRs who said they won't retire there or wish to go there to live.

But to be fair, there are people who like it there and it's good if they can work it out.

I personally am not optimistic about the RTS and HSR easing the traffic issue. If what many say here is true, that is, the SG government is the one responsible for causing the jam in order to make it unfavourable for Singaporeans to move over to Johor to live, then with the RTS and HSR, why won't they continue doing the same thing?

Anyway, I'm not optimistic not because I wish to be a wet blanket but for the following reasons:

1. The timeline for RTS and HSR is uncertain. Some still believe many delays and screwups will happen along the way and these 2 may not happen at all. I think HSR should go well as long as Msian side doesn't suddenly pull off some stunts but we could be looking at a very late completion... 2025 or beyond? RTS is... I dunno. One moment say have, next moment silence from the Msian side.

2. HSR should appeal mainly to business riders. I don't think it's a daily mode of travel. Even if so, there will likely be long queues at both sides of the stations. So we're back to square one.

I did mention before, as long as SG and Msia are 2 separate countries, with customs, there is little or no hope of a super smooth entry in and out. Maybe it might ease traffic at the causeway or Tuas 2nd link a little, but it's not a complete turnaround. That's why I don't think HSR will be that big a game changer. Moreover, what needs to be added is some form of LRT or MRT within Iskandar itself for added convenience. As far as I know, the Msian side is not interested to build one. You still need to consider driving in Msia. There will be levies, taxes, travelling time should still be an hour or more in and out of both countries. It depends on Singaporeans whether they would like such a lifestyle. They will still be in a foreign country with its peculiar, specific laws and other aspects to deal with.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Like I said, if it works out for those who wish to live there or know what they are doing, it's ok. For investment, really a No no.

But no offence, I feel you over exaggerate sometimes by calling yourself "Peasant". I feel it is an insult to other genuine poorer people in Singapore. There are those than earn less than you and they don't even call themselves peasants.

I think it is a mindset about living in Singapore. Whether you feel miserable or happy in life lies in your choice. Whether life is easy or tough is based on your own psychology. A person who earns $20k a month may be unhappy. But I've been to 3rd world countries where the kids lead very simple lives wearing old clothes. They have the sweetest ready smiles on their faces.

That said, many are happy living in HDB flats. It's a mindset. It's stupid to label them as "pigeonholes".

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya. Dont ever hang around with that wet blanket xebay11.

His negative comments are more relevant for investors. Unless this group has deep pockets and has positive long term view of Iskandar, it is better to stay away from investing in properties there. The other group looking for alternative/cheaper retirement/weekend home can consider Iskandar or nearby countries with weaker exchange rate.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I don’t get some chronic sickness or don’t die on the roads, pray hard that everything goes smoothly and after about 4 years the financials should be better. So I covet any well-wishes you have for me and family!:p
On this aspect, you do have to be very careful on the roads as you are riding a bike in/out of JB/Singapore 5 days a week. Some drivers in JB are reckless and I would dare say there are even more such drivers in Sinkie Land. Like I said before in another post, I know of a Johorean living in his newly bought house in Taman Jaya Putra who commutes to Singapore for work by motorcycle in the predawn hours and was knocked down by a hit-&-run case, who had even switched OFF its vehicle's lights after the accident to avoid detection. And it happened just a few 100 meters from his own house. He's now handicapped with broken leg injuries and had to quit his current job.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
On this aspect, you do have to be very careful on the roads as you are riding a bike in/out of JB/Singapore 5 days a week. Some drivers in JB are reckless and I would dare say there are even more such drivers in Sinkie Land. Like I said before in another post, I know of a Johorean living in his newly bought house in Taman Jaya Putra who commutes to Singapore for work by motorcycle in the predawn hours and was knocked down by a hit-&-run case, who had even switched OFF its vehicle's lights after the accident to avoid detection. And it happened just a few 100 meters from his own house. He's now handicapped with broken leg injuries and had to quit his current job.

Yep...thanks...generally I am a safe rider..been riding more than 20 years liao...and yes the only time I got kissed behind is IN Singapore in the morning after I have crossed the Singapore customs at Woodlands! A Singaporean uncle buanged into me after I have stopped at the traffic light. Gosh...a three lane road with no cars beside or behind, why in the world would he be tailing me? Getting a closer look at my licence plate to get 4D numbers? LOL! Thank God I got away with slight wounds. I know the dangers on the road for bikers...I've even seen them lying 500m away from my JB house...even the Causeway bridge also have bikers accident...I mean...what the hell...so many bikes in a small lane and why are you people still speeding and weaving in between bikes? Sometimes I wonder if MY riders have death wishes?:eek:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya. Dont ever hang around with that wet blanket xebay11.

Did I ever discourage Frodo? Don't be an idiot, he is the only one talk sense, the rest of the rubbish here keep dreaming about making money, flipping and renting out in Iskandar hoping to make quick gains, those I strongly do not encourage and throw a wet blanket with the intention to save others who do not see the pitfalls, go through all the posts carefully and much as it may seem negative, many do see my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.