• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

iOFo7.jpg

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

194314_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Koscielny: Giroud has the quality to play in England
The French centre-back has praised his new team-mate's physical and technical abilities, and is confident that he can match his Ligue 1 goal tally in the Premier League

199198_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid move is chance of a lifetime for Modric, says Pletikosa
International team-mate of wantaway star supports the midfielder as he tries to push through a move to the Santiago Bernabeu

192932_thumb.jpg

Injured Walcott pulls out of England squad & returns to Arsenal
The forward will miss the friendly against Euro 2012 runners-up Italy after injuring his thigh and is a doubt for the Gunners opening Premier League game against Sunderland

164325_thumb.jpg

Manchester City on brink of appointing former Barcelona vice-president Soriano as new chief executive
Premier League champions closing in on a replacement for Garry Cook following new twist in CEO search

200815_thumb.jpg

Allen can be a key player for Liverpool, claims Lucas
The Brazilian was impressed with the former Swansea City playmaker's first training session and is confident that he can be an important asset at Anfield this season

181231_thumb.jpg

Russia encouraged as Capello shows willingness to give youth a chance
The former England boss has taken on a big job in trying to rejuvenate an aging and somewhat unpopular squad, but his first selection suggests he is on the right track

172643_thumb.jpg

Jones to have scans on troublesome back injury
A period of rest failed to deal with the 20-year-old's muscle problem and he is likely to miss the start of the season as the club try to get to the bottom of the issue

198053_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure: Manchester City must win Champions League to gain others' respect
Roberto Mancini's midfield general says that the champions will not truly be a big club until they lift Europe's top prize, even if they retain their Premier League crown

202577_thumb.jpg

Podolski has 'very good chance' of starting for Arsenal against Sunderland, Wenger reveals
The summer signing from Koln impressed in a friendly against his former side and looks set to kick-off the new season in the starting line-up despite not yet being fully fit

0_thumb.jpg

English football's divisive youth revolution will change the face of the game
The introduction of the Elite Player Performance Plan hopes to put Premier League youth setups on an equal footing with the world's best, but it hasn't come without controversy

187255_thumb.jpg

Lavish Chelsea summer spending leaves no safety net for Di Matteo
Big-name signings have created an air of optimism around Stamford Bridge, but the Blues boss knows that the new season will bring with it fresh expectation and challenges

191982_thumb.jpg

I never considered retiring from international football, says Van Persie
The Arsenal forward has made it clear that quitting the national team was never an option for him, and is eager to return to winning ways with the Oranje under Louis van Gaal

129588_thumb.jpg

Redknapp tips Manchester City to retain Premier League title
The former Tottenham boss believes Mancini's men will defend their crown despite being pushed all the way by rivals United and backs all three promoted sides to avoid relegation

169111_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure: Manchester City have forgiven Tevez
The 29-year-old feels that the Argentine has a different mentality to that of a year ago, with Roberto Mancini adding that a full pre-season could work wonders for the forward

185863_thumb.jpg

Walker feels partnership with Lennon developing well at Tottenham
The England international defender has expressed his belief that his understanding with the former Leeds winger is improving all the time

160668_thumb.jpg

Bendtner reiterates desire to leave Arsenal amid offers from Italy, Spain and Germany
The Denmark international, who spent last season on loan with the Gunners' Premier League rivals Sunderland, claims to have already snubbed opportunities from abroad

152838_thumb.jpg

Agger: I'd prefer Liverpool stay but they may want to sell me
The defender has insisted he does not want to leave Anfield this summer despite reported interest from Manchester City and rumours that the club's owners want to cash in

201859_thumb.jpg

Song told me he wants to join Barcelona, says Malaga's Kameni
The former Espanyol player says the central midfielder told him whilst they were on holiday together that he would like to join the Catalan giants

185856_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta happy with three-man Manchester City defence
The 27-year-old believes that the new system, which City have been trialling in training and also used in the Community Shield win over Chelsea, is a useful option for the manager

195457_thumb.jpg

Balotelli set to miss England clash
The Italian star will sit out this week's match against the Three Lions due to a continuing injury that also saw him unavailable for Sunday's Community Shield

115010_thumb.jpg

Cech: Taunts from fans will not affect Terry
The keeper indicated that the 31-year-old knows he may be given a hard time at away games, but suggested as long as his displays are quality, then the Blues skipper will be happy

198299_thumb.jpg

Krul: Newcastle target Anita is ready for the Premier League
The Magpies' goalkeeper is tipping his Netherlands team-mate to make an impact on the English top-flight, if he completes his proposed €8 million (£6.6m) move from Ajax

201105_thumb.jpg

Cleverley eyeing further international experience with England after Olympics
The Manchester United midfielder has revealed he is finally getting back to his best after London 2012 and is hoping to establish himself as a regular at Old Trafford this season

181502_thumb.jpg

Uefa reduces Terry Champions League ban after appeal
The 31-year-old will be available for the start of Chelsea's defence of their European title after seeing his suspension reduced by one game

199566_thumb.jpg

Wenger insists 'much stronger' Arsenal can challenge for trophies
The Gunners' boss indicated that his side are better positioned to battle it out in the Premier League this year after a successful break, admitting third was their limit last term

188174_thumb.jpg

Butland hoping for 'dream' England debut against Italy
The Birmingham City goalkeeper is in contention to make his Three Lions debut against the Azzurri in Berne on Wednesday night after Joe Hart sustained a back injury

200814_thumb.jpg

Bellamy convinced Allen will succeed at Liverpool
The 33-year-old revealed his departure for home-town Cardiff was an emotional decision, and he persuaded his fellow Wales international to move to Anfield while on Olympic duty

151080_thumb.jpg

Official: Arsenal teenager Ryo Miyaichi joins Wigan on season-long loan
The 19-year-old moves to the DW Stadium in search of first-team action under Roberto Martinez, who may see the Japanese as a replacement for reported Chelsea target Victor Moses

202548_thumb.jpg

Chelsea defender Ivanovic escapes ban for Community Shield red card
The Serbian right-back was sent off for a reckless tackle on Manchester City's Aleksandar Kolarov, but will not face a suspension after a previous rule change

128408_thumb.jpg

Newcastle manager Pardew hits out at agents
The Magpies coach has been critical of players' representatives saying they are ruining the integrity of the transfer market with sky-high valuations

155347_thumb.jpg

Sturridge hoping for more opportunities in Chelsea's attack after Drogba departure
The striker was largely used as a winger last season but is keen to impress in his preferred role up front as one of only two recognised forwards at Stamford Bridge

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mancini: Champions League not a priority for Manchester City

The manager maintains that the champions must retain motivation and need new players to keep fresh, while insisting that rivals United are favourites to win this year's title

Aug 13, 2012 8:16:00 AM

By Arthur Virgo

201179hp2.jpg

Roberto Mancini has stated that the Champions League is not a priority for Manchester Citythis season, and that his side needed to remain focused on retaining the Premier League title.

His side defeated European champions Chelsea 3-2 on Sunday at Villa Park in the season-opening Community Shield, but he refused to entertain the thought of taking the crown to the Etihad Stadium, and also stated that his team must work harder this year because their rivals United are favourites to win the domestic title.

"Our target can't be the Champions League," he told reporters.

<tbody>
</tbody>
"Our target is to fight for the title and to go through to the second stage in Europe. And after that we will see what can happen in February.

"But our target should only be the Premier League and the FA Cup.

"Anyway, after Chelsea it's difficult for two English teams to win the Champions League two years in a row.

"We hope that we can do better [than last year] but [a bad start] can happen.

"When one young team wins the championship after many years, the next season can sometimes start very badly.

"And for this reason we need to get new players into our side. We need the squad to stay hungry.

"We won the last championship but that's now in the past. We need to forget everything because now that is not important.

"I think we need to work more than last season if we want to win the title this season.

"Not only because we won the championship but because United will be favourites."

Although yesterday saw midfielder Jack Rodwell sign from Everton, Mancini had earlier this week spoken of his frustration at the club’s inability to complete a move for Arsenal striker Robin van Persie.

On this occasion, however, he spoke more positively about the club's prospects this season, concluding: "We are confident because after the [2011] FA Cup triumph and the championship our confidence is very high.

"I'm confident with my players and with the chairman. I'm sure we will do a good job this season.

"I think our fans will be happy because they won the league and they can be sure that we will put all our strengths in every game.

"The fans can be happy because they have an owner in Sheikh Mansour and great chairman Khaldoon. For these two things they should be happy."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle facing injury crisis with Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse doubts for season opener

Magpies boss Alan Pardew has worries of the fitness of several of his squad members ahead of their opening day clash with Tottenham at Sports Direct Arena

Aug 13, 2012 8:23:00 PM

By John Christodoulou

178098hp2.jpg

Newcastle United midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa are major doubts for the club's Premier League season opener against Tottenham, manager Alan Pardew has confirmed.

The Magpies are facing a selection crisis with star strikers Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse also carrying injuries, whilst Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini were forced off with knocks during a pre-season defeat to Cardiff City on Saturday.

And whilst Pardew is optimistic about the fitness of some of his players, he admitted he may be forced to select a weakened team ahead of a difficult opener against Andre Villas-Boas’ men.

Pardew told The Chronicle: “Nobody was rested on Saturday.

“Ben Arfa has a slight knee problem which definitely keeps him out of the first week.
"Yohan Cabaye is not right in terms of work he has done. We are hoping to get him up to speed and get him involved on Saturday.

“Papiss has got a slight hamstring we think he will recover by Tuesday or Wednesday. Demba has a shin injury which he has carried for a week or so. So we took him out of the game on Tuesday.”

Newcastle will have to make a late decision on whether Tiote will join up with the Ivory Coast this week for their friendly in Moscow against Fabio Capello’s Russia and they are also monitoring the fitness of captain Coloccini after he survived an injury scare of his own.

“Cheick [Tiote] has a calf problem. We will have to see. I don’t think he will travel,” Pardew added.

“Colo [Coloccini] looked like he was struggling after 20 minutes which worries me. Colo did not want to come off, being captain.”

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea threaten to pull out of Cavani and Hulk chases over financial demands

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 22:40 GMT, 14 August 2012 | UPDATED: 22:40 GMT, 14 August 2012

Chelsea are refusing to be held to ransom in their pursuit of long-term targets Edinson Cavani and Hulk.The South Americans have been on the European champions’ radar throughout the summer transfer window.But both moves have stalled over financial reasons and the Blues are now threatening to completely withdraw their interest in the attacking duo.

article-0-147FDFA8000005DC-139_468x370.jpg

Pricey: Chelsea may pull the plug on their pursuit of Edinson Cavani

As revealed by Sportsmail last month, Cavani has insisted he become one of Chelsea’s top earners should he agree a move to London - demanding a hefty £150,000-per-week.In addition to his wages, Cavani would cost £35million in transfer fees.

And Chelsea are not prepared to give in to the Uruguay striker’s demands and it is understood Blues technical director Michael Emenalo has told Cavani’s advisers that the club will not pursue their interest in the centre-forward until he lowers salary.

Similarly, the Blues are currently unwilling to meet Porto’s asking price for Hulk.
The Brazil international has an £80million release clause written into his contract - but the Portuguese giants will let him leave for £38m.Talks between both clubs will accelerate in the coming days after Hulk’s Olympics involvement came to an end at the weekend. But Porto’s valuation is threatening to scupper the transfer despite Hulk’s attempts to force through a move to Stamford Bridge

article-0-14817998000005DC-645_468x349.jpg

Growing gap: Chelsea once seemed close to landing Hulk but talk has quietened

‘I have left the door open to be transferred,’ said Hulk.‘My preference is to play in England or Spain because they are the most watched league in the world. Now is a great time for me to move.’

Meanwhile, Wigan’s demand that Chelsea pay £7million of Victor Moses protracted £10m transfer fee up front is the key stumbling block towards the completion of a deal.Moses - who will net in the region of £40,000-per-week if his move to Chelsea goes through - is desperate to quit the Latics.

But Chelsea are keen to pay a smaller initial payment with the rest of the few made up in performance related add ons.
Talks between both club’s are ongoing and a compromise is expected to be reached to pave the way for Moses return to London.

Last edited:

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm not going to bankrupt the club! Liverpool boss Rodgers explains his eye for value

By DOMINIC KING PUBLISHED: 21:00 GMT, 14 August 2012 | UPDATED: 00:04 GMT, 15 August 2012

Brendan Rodgers has insisted he will not bankrupt Liverpool as he warned his pursuit of success will not come at any cost.Though Rodgers has spent £26million bringing in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, Liverpool have been streamlining their budget and offloaded a number of high earners, such as Alberto Aquilani. But Rodgers has also shown he is not afraid to walk away from a deal if he believes the economics are not right, as was the case when he ended his interest in Gylfi Sigurdsson, who joined Tottenham after Liverpool refused to meet his personal terms.

article-2188362-147D1191000005DC-954_468x305.jpg

The right price: Brendan Rodgers brought in Joe Allen (left)

It is only two years since Liverpool were threatened by administration when Tom Hicks and George Gillett owned the club and Rodgers is adamant he will not take any financial gambles.‘You may think (insolvency) will never happen to your club,’ said Rodgers. ‘But who would have ever thought that could happen to a team like Glasgow Rangers? But, listen, if football continues to pay the wages that some clubs do, then you will be asking for it.

‘In professional and social life, I like to get value. That is just my nature and my upbringing. I won’t pay anything at all costs. Absolutely not. There have to be certain factors to make a player want to come and play for you.‘I prefer the hungry player, those that want to succeed. Of course they will earn good money – and they will get their value and worth if they perform. I would rather work that way. (Players who want to make a quick buck?) No chance. Certainly not with me.’

article-2188362-14786477000005DC-802_468x286.jpg

Too much: Gylfi Sigurdsson's move to Liverpool collapsed due to wage demands

Liverpool are not a club that has been associated with living within its means but the fact that Rodgers is the first Anfield manager to pursue season-long loan deals shows how the financial landscape has changed.Rodgers, who is hoping to land Real Madrid’s Nuri Sahin, added: ‘The top players earn their money. If a player is worth it then I don’t have a problem. If they have value, then you can pay them as much as you want.‘I will always look to the simplicity of it – asking if he is effective on the field and trying to line his price or wage up with that. There’s a responsibility to look after the club and have a genuine feel for the club and the prices. I want to be involved in that side of it, so I can keep clarity.’

article-2188362-1479CB0E000005DC-508_468x303.jpg

My man: Fabio Borini was another Rodgers purchase

With a number of key players having departed in the close season, such as the influential Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez, Rodgers has a number of gaps that he needs to plug before the window closes and he is looking at a deal for Barcelona’s Cristian Tello.Atletico Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta could also be an option if Daniel Agger were to leave, though the prospects of that occurring a faint given that Manchester City are reluctant to bid more than £20million for the Denmark international.

‘The reality is the club probably lacked depth last year,’ said Rodgers. ‘We need to make a few signings just to get back to those numbers. I believe we will do. But they are specific targets we are after and I believe when we get those players in they will make a difference for us.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

France stars Ribery and Benzema set for trial over underage prostitute allegation

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 22:26 GMT, 14 August 2012 | UPDATED: 22:26 GMT, 14 August 2012

France internationals Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema are set to face trial for allegedly soliciting an underage prostitute.
The duo are set to face the charges along with eight others after judicial papers were submitted by investigating magistrate Andre Dando this week.According to reports some of the defendants will be prosecuted for 'aggravated pimping'.

article-2188459-148BE999000005DC-163_468x304.jpg

Trial: Karim Benzema (left) and Franck Ribery (right)

The long-running case began in 2010 when Zahia Dehar claimed Real Madrid striker Benzema paid for sex with her in 2008, when she was 16. Dehar also alleged Ribery flew her to Munich for sex a year later.Prostitution is not illegal in France, however, it is with persons aged under 18.Prosecutors requested in November last year that the case against Ribery and Benzema, who have repeatedly denied the charges, be dropped because they were unaware that Dehar was underage.Dehar, now 20 and who has become a celebrity in France since the story broke, has admitted both players did not know her age at the time of the alleged meetings.

article-2188459-14889ABC000005DC-115_468x330.jpg

Les Bleus: French players in national training

If found guilty Ribery and Benzema could face three years in prison or a £35,000 fine.Lawyers for both players revealed their confidence that they would beat any charge against their clients.Benzema's legal counsel, Mr Sylvain Cormier, told Le Parisien: 'There is other material in the record to prove the innocence of my client. I feel it pays to be young and famous.'Ribery's advisor, Sophie Bottai, told the same publication that she was surprised that Mr Dando had chosen to begin proceedings given the advice of the prosecutors' office.

article-2188459-148BD9A9000005DC-848_468x301.jpg

Zip it: Didier Deschamps did not want to talk about the issue

'This decision is unjust and also surprising in view of folder contents and submissions of the prosecution,' she said. 'But I remain confident for the rest of the procedure.Ribery and Benzema have both been included in France's squad for their friendly against Uruguay in Le Havre on Wednesday.Le Bleus coach Didier Deschamps, who is set to lead the national team for the first time, refused to comment on the matter.'I won't be commenting on it as it has a private aspect,' Deschamps told reporters. 'It's in the court's hands. It will not change my demands about players' behaviour on and off the pitch with respect to the French team.'I am concentrating on the essentials so tomorrow (Wednesday) we see a France team that wants to go forward and wants to win.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

175173_thumb.jpg

West Ham prepare restructured £10m bid for Jarvis
The Hammers' initial offer was turned down by Wolves last week, who want a single payment rather than instalments, but Sam Allardyce is still determined to get his man

200039_thumb.jpg

Lampard uncertain over Chelsea future
The England international has admitted that he is still waiting to discuss a new deal with the club as he enters the final year of his contract but wants to stay with the Blues

197328_thumb.jpg

Hodgson hopes Terry is cleared of FA racism charge
Despite being a member of the FA, who are pursuing the allegations, the England manager has admitted that wants to see the Chelsea defender return to the national team

202565_thumb.jpg

The Kop must be patient with Rodgers' revolution if Liverpool's glory days are to return
Reds supporters must calm their cravings for a quick fix and buy into the Northern Irishman's philosophy if they are to ever reach the Premier League's peak again

202607_thumb.jpg

Hodgson not convinced Rodwell will get enough minutes at Manchester City
The 21-year-old recently completed a surprise move to the Premier League champions but the England manager has openly questioned whether it is the right option for the midfielder

189381_thumb.jpg

Liverpool manager Rodgers unwilling to pay over the odds for players
The former Swansea manager is used to working with a much stricter transfer budget and looking out for bargains, something he is adamant he will continue to do at Anfield

158345_thumb.jpg

Ferguson encouraged by Fletcher's Manchester United return
The Scotland international has been ruled out of action since November 2011 due to a chronic bowel condition, but he played 31 minutes on Tuesday in the 2-1 defeat to Aberdeen

190189_thumb.jpg

Lampard: Age should not stop me making the next World Cup
The Chelsea vice-captain believes the England side should be picked on individual merit suggesting the fact that he'll be 36 by Brazil 2014 shouldn't matter

199198_thumb.jpg

Modric move from Tottenham to Real Madrid will happen, says Croatia coach Stimac
The Vatreni boss says the playmaker will move to the Spanish champions, and is frustrated with his midfielder's lack of gametime under new Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas

201958_thumb.jpg

Kagawa vows to give his all in Japan friendly against Venezuela ahead of Premier League kick-off
The new Manchester United signing has said he will give "more than 100%" in the upcoming non-competitive international, less than a week before his club side's season opener

185856_thumb.jpg

Manchester City defender Zabaleta: The Premier League will be more difficult this year
The Argentine defender says there will be five teams in contention for the title this term, and claims his side have learned lessons despite last year's successes

118656_thumb.jpg

Fabianski hoping to challenge Szczesny for Arsenal No. 1 spot
The Gunners keeper wants to get better, and has been putting in extensive work in pre-season training in a bid to try and reclaim the role from his compatriot

139130_thumb.jpg

Tottenham tried to sign Lloris - Lyon chairman
It was confirmed today that the North Londoners made an offer for the French international, which was immediately rebuffed

199198_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid move is chance of a lifetime for Modric, says Pletikosa
International team-mate of wantaway star supports the midfielder as he tries to push through a move to the Santiago Bernabeu

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

125491_thumb.jpg

Official: Newcastle complete signing of Anita from Ajax
The versatile 23-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract with Alan Pardew's side and will wear the No.8 shirt this season

115245_thumb.jpg

Joe Cole hoping run of games can re-ignite Liverpool career after returning from injury
After spending last season on loan at French side Lille, the England international hopes he will now get his chance at Anfield having recovered from a hamstring injury

198284_thumb.jpg

Hernandez future in doubt as Van Persie arrival prompts Manchester United striker reshuffle
Doubts over the Mexican's health a factor in the swoop for the Arsenal captain, who will leapfrog Chicharito and Danny Welbeck in the Old Trafford pecking order

141841_thumb.jpg

Tottenham's loss is Real Madrid's gain as Modric move draws closer
The 26-year-old midfielder looks set to play a pivotal part in proceedings in Spain as he leaves Andre Villas-Boas behind to link up with Jose Mourinho at the Santiago Bernabeu

163890_thumb.jpg

Van Persie addition a 'big boost' for Manchester United, says Carrick
The midfielder hailed the news of a £24m fee being agreed for the sale of the 29-year-old, before praising the performance of fellow Red Devil Tom Cleverley on his England debut

115578_thumb.jpg

West Ham and Allardyce target free agent Ben Haim
Experienced Israeli defender recently left crisis club Portsmouth and could be set for a return to Upton Park to reunite with his former manager in the Premier League

202849_thumb.jpg

Arsenal youngster Aneke looking to build on first-team debut
The 19-year-old was delighted to make his professional bow last term, but insists that it was the 'tip of the iceberg,' as he looks to push for a regular place in Wenger's plans

202607_thumb.jpg

Platt: Rodwell can become a star at Manchester City
The member of the Blues' backroom staff has maintained that the new signing has all the attributes to become a stand-out for the Premier League champions sooner rather than later

202182_thumb.jpg

Ray Parlour: Losing Van Persie is a big blow for Arsenal
Arsene Wenger is selling his captain for the fourth time in seven years, and the former player believes strengthening a "massive rival" is a negative heading into the new season

191309_thumb.jpg

FA maintain Terry racism case will be independently regulated
The governing body have acted to quell rising concern after Roy Hodgson revealed that he hoped that the Chelsea captain would be cleared of any offence at next week's trial

203181_thumb.jpg

Cleverley: Van Persie will only make Manchester United stronger
Also, the 23-year-old was proud after making his full England bow and is looking forward to more games, while Defoe insists there's always something to prove at international level

184867_thumb.jpg

Wigan chairman Whelan accuses Chelsea of 'messing about' over Moses deal
The Latics chief has urged the Blues to make a decision over the 21-year-old, as the on-off transfer saga is compromising their own transfer dealings

189383_thumb.jpg

Rodgers eyes 'a couple more' Liverpool signings
The Reds boss reveals that more faces could be added to the squad before the transfer window closes, as he looks to boost his squad ahead of the new season

202965_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain promises to dazzle Arsenal fans
The England international is hoping to entertain the Emirates faithful next season, but acknowledges that winning and playing exciting football are not always compatible

196455_thumb.jpg

Manchester United agree fee with Arsenal for Robin van Persie
The biggest transfer saga of the summer looks close to completion after both teams announced that the forward will undergo a medical on Thursday ahead of a move

202501_thumb.jpg

Torres: I've gained something from not being selected by Chelsea
The forward has spoken of his initial difficulties in adapting to life at Stamford Bridge, but is confident that he came out of it stronger in the end

198778_thumb.jpg

Vermaelen remains optimistic Van Persie will continue playing at Arsenal next season
The Belgian has appealed for the striker to keep faith in the Gunners' project, amid reports linking their star with an imminent move away

199198_thumb.jpg

Tottenham midfielder Modric to fly to Spain to complete Real Madrid move
A breakthrough has finally been reached as the Liga champions aim to complete a £30 million deal for Spurs' wantaway midfielder

170422_thumb.jpg

Henriquez to hold talks with Sir Alex Ferguson ahead of 'dream' Manchester United move
The Chilean teenager has completed a medical ahead of a proposed move to the Premier League giants, and has revealed discussions with the United boss are set to take place

93901_thumb.jpg

Hodgson should stay out of Terry case, says Taylor
The ex-England boss thinks the current head coach should have kept quiet until a decision was made, while Football Against Racism's chief also criticised the manager's comments

202577_thumb.jpg

Podolski: Arsenal can challenge for title
The German forward revealed that he is enjoying the way the Gunners play football, and stated that fans can expect more goals from him after he scored twice against Koln

183473_thumb.jpg

Fabrice Muamba retires from football
The 23-year-old has been forced into ending his career early after advice from doctors regarding his health, but remained thankful for all the support he has received

176500_thumb.jpg

QPR star Taarabt relishing Swansea season opener
The Moroccan has enjoyed a good record against Michael Laudrup's side in recent years and is targeting more of the same as the Hoops begin their Premier League campaign

188330_thumb.jpg

Agger: Barcelona are the only club that would tempt me
The Liverpool defender has revealed if the Spanish giants became interested in his services he would find it hard to resist but considers it an honour to play for the Reds

161383_thumb.jpg

Manchester United captain Vidic: My partnership with Rio Ferdinand can be the best in the Premier League
The Serbia centre-back has returned to the first-team after eight months out claiming his knee is in "perfect condition" and that it will be difficult for anyone to beat them

179572_thumb.jpg

Ramsey: Shawcross still has not fully apologised for breaking my leg
The Arsenal midfielder has claimed he only received a text from the Stoke defender, who could become his international team-mate, after the incident, but says he has moved on

192370_thumb.jpg

West Ham owner Sullivan: Carroll would have been perfect for us
The former Birmingham chief says that the striker would have been a great fit for the style of football Sam Allardyce wanted to play but the England international turned them down

185861_thumb.jpg

Lukaku 'relieved' to have left Chelsea after frustrating debut season
The forward, who recently joined West Bromwich Albion on a season-long loan, believes he wasted his time seeking first-team chances and described his transfer as a "liberation"

203044_thumb.jpg

Song is unlike any other player, says Clemente
The former Cameroon coach has praised the powerful midfielder, but is having doubts about the 24-year-old's defensive abilities amid speculation linking the player with Barcelona

201310_thumb.jpg

'Phenomenal' Manchester City are only getting better, Aguero warns rivals
The Argentina forward is excited about the greater understanding now developing between his team-mates and claims he will not dwell on his historic last-minute winner against QPR

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Revealed: The £73m package that lured Robin van Persie to Manchester United

The 29-year-old will pen a money spinning deal that includes image rights with the Old Trafford giants upon the successful completion of a medical

Aug 16, 2012 11:15:00 AM

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart

Manchester United have put together an astonishing £73 million package in order to tempt Robin van Persie into signing from Arsenal, Goalcom can reveal.

The Dutchman is due in Manchester for a medical on Thursday afternoon before he puts pen to paper on a four-year contract understood to be worth £235,000-a-week once image rights are taken into account.

Van Persie knew that, at the age of 29 and in the form of his life, the next contract would be the biggest of his career, and it is no wonder that he did not even want to discuss Arsenal’s proposed £130,000-a-week offer.

That means he will earn £12.2m-a-year, a whopping £48.9m over the course of his United contract.

198778_hp.jpg

It is no wonder that he did not even want to discuss Arsenal’s proposed £130,000-a-week offer

<tbody>
</tbody>

In addition to the £24m fee United are paying - with no obvious sell-on potential at the end of the deal - the 19-time English champions will spend a grand total of £72.9m on the former Feyenoord man.

Questions may well be asked as to where the money has come from, especially given the deep concerns over United’s finances, which has received plenty of publicity in light of the Glazer family’s flotation of 10 per cent of the club on the New York Stock Exchange.

But United chief operating officer Michael Bolingbroke had spoken of the club’s projection for a net spend of £40m in the summer transfer window.

The failure to land Lucas Moura - who has agreed to join Paris Saint-Germain from Sao Paulo for £35m - is likely to have freed up some of the budget for United to push for Van Persie.

In addition, United had already freed up the best part of £180,000-a-week in wages following the summer departures of Michael Owen, Park Ji-Sung and Tomasz Kuszczak.

United’s bid for Van Persie was aided by the player’s desire to move to Old Trafford, plus Sir Alex Ferguson’s clever ploy to ramp up the pressure on Arsenal to sell by publicly discussing his move for the Dutchman.

Van Persie, who scored 37 goals last season, made it clear from the outset that he wanted to leave the Gunners this summer, releasing a statement on his personal website last month announcing that he would not sign a new deal, meaning he would be able to leave for nothing next summer.

United were not always the front-runners for his signature, with their bitter rivals Manchester City initially leading the race for last season’s double player of the year.

City, however, pulled out of the running as they were unable to offload squad places and, perhaps more crucially, wages with the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz and Edin Dzeko still at the club.

Interest from Italian giants Juventus cooled months ago, while Real Madrid and Barcelona ruled out moves for Van Persie, leaving United with a clear run to negotiate with Arsenal.

The Gunners were reluctant to do business with a Premier League rival but in the end felt they had no choice, choosing to hold talks with United and simply push for the best deal possible, just as they did with Samir Nasri in similar circumstances a year earlier.

Arsenal fans accused Nasri of being greedy and following the money, but the Frenchman had the last laugh when Manchester City won the Premier League title.

Van Persie will face similar accusations, and while the size of his contract will lend further weight to those arguing his move is motivated by money he must hope now that he too can say the same as Nasri next May.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We had no choice but to sell Van Persie to Man United, claims Wenger as star returns for medical ahead of £24m move

By IAN LADYMAN PUBLISHED: 18:22 GMT, 15 August 2012 | UPDATED: 11:01 GMT, 16 August 2012

Arsene Wenger has admitted that Arsenal were powerless to stop Robin van Persie signing for Manchester United.United sealed the signing of the summer on Wednesday night when Arsenal agreed to sell Van Persie to their Barclays Premier League rivals for £24million.Van Persie arrived at London St Pancras train station on Thursday morning ahead of his trip to Manchester to complete his medical. He could be confirmed as United player later in the day.

After weeks of negotiating with Arsenal and the Holland striker, United have beaten Manchester City and Juventus to Van Persie’s signature and the 29-year-old will have a medical at Old Trafford on Thursday. Manager Arsene Wenger has the best part of two weeks to spend some of the money before the transfer window is closed. He said on French TV on Wednesday night: ‘It’s sad to lose a player of his quality. He had only one year left on his contract so we didn’t have the choice.’

article-2188862-14911787000005DC-146_634x398.jpg

In the red: How Robin van Persie will look in a Manchester United shirt in our mocked-up picture

article-2188324-148C1A69000005DC-414_634x421.jpg

United front: Sir Alex Ferguson has finally got his man by agreeing a deal for Robin van Persie

Asked who he would recruit, Wenger said: 'We already signed Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud.'

Van Persie is the first Arsenal player to join United since Viv Anderson in 1987 and the move has riled Gunners fans, who took to Twitter to abuse him.

United are understood to have agreed a £15m downpayment for last season’s Footballer of the Year and Players’ Player — who scored 30 Premier League goals for last season. That will rise to £24m depending on appearances. Van Persie is expected to sign a four-year contract worth over £200,000 a week.A statement on United’s website said: ‘Manchester United is pleased to announce it has reached agreement with Arsenal for the transfer of Robin van Persie. The deal is subject to a medical and the agreement of personal terms.’

In signing Van Persie, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has laid down a clear marker ahead of the new season. It is the first time the club have paid for a big name since Dimitar Berbatov from Tottenham for £30.75m in 2008.Having decided two or three years ago they would not sign players over the age of 27, United have signified just how far they are prepared to go to wrest the title back from City.

article-2188324-148C1EE5000005DC-218_306x467.jpg
article-2188324-148BFF55000005DC-934_306x467.jpg

Final hurdle: The protracted deal will be concluded when Van Persie has a medical on Thursday

City manager Roberto Mancini will be particularly irritated that United have been allowed to steal his top target from under his nose, and this will test his strained relationship with the club’s football administrator Brian Marwood still further.

Van Persie was on Wednesday night with Holland, who lost a friendly 4-2 to Belgium. He is expected to fly to Manchester early on Thursday morning. His departure will leave Arsenal fans angry that yet another of their star players has decided to depart in search of an improved salary and better prospects for winning major honours.

Van Persie follows Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas, who left a year ago, although the club recovered from a poor start — including an 8-2 demolition by United at Old Trafford — to finish third.

article-2188324-12B5DC0C000005DC-990_634x434.jpg

Talisman: Van Persie bagged the vast majority of Arsenal's goals last season

Michael Carrick, who was on duty with England on Wednesday, was first to comment on the deal.

He said: 'Someone mentioned in the dressing room about Van Persie and if it goes through, it will be brilliant. He had a terrific season and he will further strengthen our squad. It is a great boost going into the new season.

'He is a world class player and we have always been about bringing in players of that ability. 'Can it make the difference between second and first? There wasn't much difference so hopefully we can go that step further! But the club has always had strength in depth and it is about the squad and not the 11 on the pitch.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Modric jets into Madrid as wantaway Tottenham star finally closes in on exit

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 06:54 GMT, 16 August 2012 | UPDATED: 06:54 GMT, 16 August 2012

Luka Modric will have a medical in Spain on Thursday after Real Madrid closed in on a deal to sign him from Tottenham.

The latest offer for the Croatia midfielder to be turned down by Spurs was for £38million, comprising £30m in cash with the remainder in add-ons over the length of Modric’s contract.

article-0-148C9D9F000005DC-814_468x293.jpg

Hands up who wants to leave Spurs: Luka Modric is set to sign for Real Madrid this weekend

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has been adamant he will not accept less than £40m and is also unhappy with the percentage of the money Jose Mourinho’s Spanish champions are proposing to pay in add-ons.

But Real have told Tottenham officials they are now willing to increase the cash portion of the fee to around £34m — and are confident the deal can be concluded by the weekend.

article-0-148DFD50000005DC-512_468x374.jpg

Impressive: Modric was in excellent form for Croatia against Spain in Euro 2012 and appeared at the Bernabeu with Spurs in the Champions League quarter-final two years ago (below)

article-0-0B7EAB3800000578-51_468x408.jpg

As revealed by Sportsmail last week, Modric has been training by himself away from the senior squad.

Meanwhile, Croatia manager Igor Stimac has accused Levy of breaking a promise he made a year ago to let Modric go to Real.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bilbao hope Spurs and Arsenal will enter bidding war for Llorente after player departures

By ASHLEY GRAY PUBLISHED: 09:09 GMT, 16 August 2012 | UPDATED: 09:09 GMT, 16 August 2012

Athletic Bilbao hope to spark a North London Derby as they look to cash in on striker Fernando Llorente.Robin van Persie’s move to Manchester United and Luka Modric’s imminent switch to Real Madrid will free up funds for Arsenal and Tottenham to attack the transfer market.Juventus have already opened talks with Athletic for Llorente, but Spanish newspaper Marca claims Arsenal will now step up their own bid.

article-2189126-14917048000005DC-128_468x367.jpg

Transfer battle: Fernando Llorente could be a target for both Arsenal and Spurs

Tottenham have also long admired the 6ft 5in centre forward and desperately need to sign a striker.

Llorente’s contract expires next summer and he has told bosses he will not sign an extension.Juventus had hope to sign him for less than £16million, but Athletic’s public stance is that they won’t deal for less than his £28.2m buy-out clause.The 27-year-old shone last season, scoring 30 goals in 53 appearances, including against Manchester United both home and away and Athletic surpassed them in the Europa League last 32.

article-2189126-14917016000005DC-728_468x360.jpg

In fine form: Llorente scored 30 goals for Athletic Bilbao last season

Meanwhile, Athletic could also lose midfielder-turned-defender Javi Martinez after Bayern Munich reportedly signalled their attention to meet his £31.4m release clause.The 23-year-old was Barcelona’s top target this summer, but they turned to Arsenal’s Alex Song when after setting a budget of less than £20m for Martinez.

article-2189126-148BFC38000005DC-934_224x423.jpg
article-2189126-148C9D9F000005DC-123_224x423.jpg

Freeing up cash: Robin van Persie is leaving Arsenal for Manchester United while Luka Modric looks to complete his move to Real Madrid from Spurs

Both Manchester clubs and Liverpool also like the Spain international, but Bayern seem to have blown all their rivals out of the water.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Liverpool edging ahead of Arsenal in battle to bring Sahin on season loan

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER PUBLISHED: 22:19 GMT, 15 August 2012 | UPDATED: 23:16 GMT, 15 August 2012

Liverpool hope to pip Arsenal to a season-long loan deal for Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin, 23.

The Turkey international flopped during his first season in Spain after his move from Borussia Dortmund - but Liverpool are determined to add him to their squad.

article-0-14827057000005DC-822_468x382.jpg

Up for grabs: Sahin (second left)

But they face fierce competition from Arsenal and Sahin's desire to play in the Champions League could be a stumbling block.The Anfield club are also monitoring Atletico Madrid and Uruguay defender Diego Godin, 26, who may become a Manchester City target if they fail to lure away Daniel Agger.

Rodgers is desperate to add to his squad before the opening game of the season at West Brom and said: 'There has been contact and communication with the clubs. The team of people behind myself are working very, very hard in relation to those targets. We hope that within the next number of weeks those will bear fruit.

'The work has been continual right the way through to try and get in players that fit the profile of Liverpool and the team. Like I say, I would hope there would be a couple more signings before the end of August.'

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

186562_thumb.jpg

Oxlade-Chamberlain hails good vibe at Arsenal
The Gunners winger is confident in his side despite the imminent departure of Robin van Persie and feels the club's new signings possess enough quality to succeed at the Emirates

142210_thumb.jpg

Cech was like an 'angel' in Champions League final - Mata
Blues midfielder grateful to the Czech keeper for penalty saves in Munich from Arjen Robben and Ivica Olic and believes his side deserved their first major European trophy

202182_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: With Van Persie we will have the strongest strikeforce in Europe
The Manchester United boss says he is very pleased to sign the Dutchman and claims he now has four strikers to rival his famous 1999 quartet

117745_thumb.jpg

Marseille's Azpilicueta on the verge of signing for Chelsea
The Spanish defender's representatives are in in London to put the finishing touches on a transfer that would see the Blues shell out an estimated €8-10 million

203332_thumb.jpg

Wenger: I'd have preferred to sell Van Persie to PSG, not Manchester United
Gunners boss admits he would have rather have sold his captain abroad rather than lose him to a Premier League rival and feels the Red Devils have got a great player

201779_thumb.jpg

Tottenham bid for Soldado rejected by Valencia, confirms striker
Spain striker admits Spurs have had an offer rebuffed by Mauricio Pellegrino's side but is still fully committed to Los Che and admits it's a dream to play for them

202034_thumb.jpg

Arsenal ready to give green light for £15m Song move to Barcelona
The Spanish giants have agreed to meet the Gunners' valuation of the Cameroon international midfielder after a breakthrough in negotiations between the two clubs

200024_thumb.jpg

Bale fit for Tottenham's opening game of the season at Newcastle
The winger picked up a back injury whilst on international duty as Wales lost 2-0 to Bosnia on Wednesday but thinks he will be ready for the match at Sports Direct Arena

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

183055_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson dismissive of Mancini's title claims
The 70-year-old has backed the Red Devils to respond this season after being thrillingly beaten to the title last term by their local rivals, despite the Italian's downplaying

197508_thumb.jpg

Lambert declares admiration for Defoe and Kenwyne Jones
Having been linked to the two strikers, the Villans manager has said he is an admirer of the two players but is unsure whether they will make the move to Villa Park

196270_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: 'We never thought we'd get Van Persie'
The 70-year-old manager has stated that although the club weren't always in for the Dutch striker, circumstances changed to allow the move to go ahead

172426_thumb.jpg

Oscar may have to wait for Chelsea debut
The young Brazilian has joined up with the squad after the Selecao's unsuccessful Olympic final and Roberto Di Matteo admits the midfielder could do with a rest

194815_thumb.jpg

Liverpool sign Oussama Assaidi from Heerenveen on long-term deal
The 24-year-old Morocco international passed a medical at the Reds' Melwood training ground on Friday before completing his move from Heerenveen

203526_thumb.jpg

Arnold Muhren unsurprised by Manchester United move for Van Persie
As the Dutch striker officially completes his move to Old Trafford, the former national team manager says his countryman should fit in well with the Red Devils

203492_thumb.jpg

Van Persie: The little boy inside me screamed 'Manchester United!'
The 29 year-old Dutch striker completed his move to Old Trafford and spoke glowingly about the club's history and the opportunity to play for the side

109010_thumb.jpg

Azpilicueta set to seal €10m Chelsea move next week
Spanish right-back's representatives are in London to put finishing touches to his switch from Marseille to Stamford Bridge

164325_thumb.jpg

Manchester City announce Ferran Soriano as new chief executive
The Premier League champions have appointed the former Barcelona man, who brings more than 20 years experience to the role and will take up his position on September 1

198298_thumb.jpg

'Buy him instantly' - Krul reveals his advice to Pardew over new signing Anita
The Newcastle goalkeeper was approached by his manager for guidance before signing the Ajax midfielder, and the shot-stopper is delighted to have a fellow Dutchman in the ranks

115342_thumb.jpg

Adam Johnson hints at Manchester City exit in search of first-team football
The 25-year-old played 90 minutes for England in midweek but has revealed he doubts he will be able to do the same for Roberto Mancini's side, and may have to move elsewhere

120646_thumb.jpg

Suker: I want Modric to join Real Madrid
The president of the Croatian football federation is hopeful that his compatriot will get his desired move to the reigning Spanish champions

203526_thumb.jpg

Official: Manchester United complete Robin van Persie signing
The Netherlands international is finally confirmed as a Red Devil after months of speculation over his future, and could make his debut in their Premier League opener at Everton

190851_thumb.jpg

Rodgers must get top four or face Liverpool axe, warns Clarke
The West Brom boss, who was Kenny Dalglish's No.2 with the Reds last season, says the Northern Irishman must lead his side back into the Champions League during his first term

203486_thumb.jpg

Van Persie's Manchester United move is fantastic for Dutch football, says Van Gaal
The former Ajax coach believes that the former Feyenoord star's imminent move will be beneficial for the game in his native Netherlands

197801_thumb.jpg

Southampton open talks over move for Liverpool target Gaston Ramirez
The newly-promoted side are hoping to pip the Reds to a deal for the Uruguayan who is tempted by the opportunity of regular football with the Saints

172899_thumb.jpg

Wenger confirms Vermaelen as new Arsenal captain
The Belgium international centre-back replaces outbound striker Robin van Persie and will take up the reins when they kick off their Premier League campaign on Saturday

147724_thumb.jpg

Welbeck revelling in comparison to 1999 Manchester United strike force ahead of Van Persie arrival
With the Arsenal striker set to move to Old Trafford comparisons are being made to the treble-winning quartet, and the 21-year-old believes competition up front can only be good

187255_thumb.jpg

Leboeuf: Di Matteo must serve up 'sexy football' at Stamford Bridge or risk his Chelsea job
The Italian boss has it all to do again this coming campaign as he tries to repeat last season's remarkable silverware haul and deliver a more exciting brand of football

195694_thumb.jpg

Race against time: Villas-Boas must act in transfer market to avoid yet another false dawn at Tottenham
With Luka Modric set for Real Madrid and Jermain Defoe the only recognised striker in the squad, the Portuguese needs to conclude deals before the transfer window slams shut

159639_thumb.jpg

'Van Persie is one of the greatest strikers in the world' - De Gea
The Spaniard has hailed Manchester United's imminent acquisition of the Arsenal captain and has backed him to continue his goalscoring exploits at Old Trafford next season

202607_thumb.jpg

Rodwell relishing 'once in a lifetime' opportunity at Manchester City
The former Everton midfielder knows that he faces stiff competition for a place in Roberto Mancini's team but is happy to be patient and revealed that he looks up to Yaya Toure

195694_thumb.jpg

Tottenham interest in M'Vila over and Moutinho signing difficult, says Villas-Boas
The former Chelsea boss has distanced himself from signing the French international as he is looking at other options, but says a move for the Porto man is unlikely

184121_thumb.jpg

Liverpool captain Gerrard: I'm not ready for Scholes role
The 32-year-old has been told by boss Brendan Rodgers that he will be used further up the field and is only thinking in the short term after performing well at Euro 2012

201953_thumb.jpg

Welbeck: Van Persie will help Manchester United challenge for the title
The 21-year-old striker is "delighted" with the impending arrival of the Dutchman, despite the Arsenal captain set to increase competition among the forwards at Old Trafford

171473_thumb.jpg

Norwich City complete season-long loan move for Javier Garrido
The former Manchester City man returns to the Premier League to compete for the left-back position at Carrow Road with Marc Tierney following Adam Drury's departure

189383_thumb.jpg

Liverpool boss Rodgers hoping to gain edge with new style of play
The 39-year-old believes that he can bring the Reds up the Premier League table by learning to "control and dominate games" even if they cannot compete financially with some clubs

194815_thumb.jpg

Liverpool agree deal with Heerenveen for winger Oussama Assaidi
The Morocco international will head to Merseyside for a medical with the Reds after an impressive campaign in the Eredivisie with Marco van Basten's side last term

178088_thumb.jpg

It would be a blow to lose Modric - Defoe
The Tottenham striker admits that it would be difficult for his side to cope without their star Croatian playmaker but would wish him well if he moved to Real Madrid

152838_thumb.jpg

Agger wants to stay at Liverpool - Rodgers
Former Swansea boss claims the Denmark international has told him he wants to remain at Anfield this season despite speculation linking him with a move to Manchester City

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Robin van Persie confirmed as Manchester United player on four-year contract after completing move from Arsenal

Robin van Persie has spoken of his "honour" at signing for Manchester United after completing a £22 million move from Arsenal following a successful medical this morning.

article-2189744-149662EB000005DC-646_634x508.jpg

robin_vanpersie_2312923b.jpg

Sign on the dotted line: Robin van Persie officially becomes a Manchester United player Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Mark Ogden

11:22AM BST 17 Aug 2012

The 29 year-old, who has signed a four-year deal at Old Trafford worth £200,000-a-week, is expected to make his United debut in Monday’s Premier League opener at Everton.

Van Persie is due to be unveiled by United at a press conference at Old Trafford this afternoon and the Dutch forward admits he is desperate to begin his career at the club this weekend.

"It’s an honour to sign for Manchester United." Van Persie said. "I am looking forward to following in the footsteps of so many great strikers, bringing my experience and playing my part to help the team compete for the biggest trophies in the game. I can’t wait to get started."

United beat off competition from Manchester City and Juventus to sign last season’s double Footballer of the Year.

And manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims he has added a "world-class striker" to his squad by capturing the former Feyenoord forward.

Ferguson said: "Robin is a world class striker with a proven record in England and in European football.

"His talents need no introduction to our fans - he has scored a number of goals against us in some classic battles with his former club.

"His movement, finishing and all-round ability are outstanding.

"The boy wanted to come. He turned down various clubs. If he hadn't told Arsenal he wanted to go to Manchester United, the transfer wouldn't have happened."

Ferguson admitted he thought it would be impossible to get Van Persie to sign, but had to make an attempt when the striker did not sign a new contract with the north London club.

"It has given everyone a lift," said Ferguson. "I have a complication to my life (selection). I don't know how I managed in 1999.

"They can gel together. Robin's best position is furthest up the pitch. The most important thing is to win what we want to win. These players can help us to do that."

Ferguson revealed he was still looking at a new signing for "one more position" but "only if a certain player came available".

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man United star Rio hit with £45,000 fine from FA over Cole 'choc-ice' tweet

By IAN LADYMAN PUBLISHED: 23:00 GMT, 16 August 2012 | UPDATED: 16:35 GMT, 17 August 2012

Rio Ferdinand has managed to escape a match ban but the Manchester United defender has been hit with a £45,000 fine by the Football Association for his crass tweet aimed at Ashley Cole.The England international was charged with improper conduct by the FA after he acknowledged a comment on Twitter that referred to the Chelsea defender as a 'choc-ice'.

Sportsmail revealed on Wednesday that Ferdinand – who denied the charge – attended a secret hearing in London last Friday.

article-2188650-148C552A000005DC-930_634x398.jpg

Waiting game: Rio Ferdinand (left) is set to discover if he will be punished by the FA

The FA said in a statement: 'Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has been fined £45,000 after an independent regulatory commission found proven a charge of improper conduct in relation to a comment posted on Twitter.

'The commission decided that the comment was improper and brought the game into disrepute. In addition, the commission found that the breach included a reference to ethnic origin, colour or race.'Ferdinand's former England team-mate Cole appeared as a witness for John Terry when the Chelsea defender appeared in court during the summer charged with making racist comments to the United man's younger brother Anton.

Terry was cleared of the charges but soon after Ferdinand Snr appeared to endorse a tweet describing Cole as a 'choc ice, a slang term perceived as meaning black on the outside and white on the inside.

Ferdinand tweeted: 'I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic hahahahahaha!!'

Users began discussing the comments and reacting to them and Ferdinand wrote: 'And if I want to laugh at something someone tweets....I will! Hahahahaha! Now stop getting ya knickers in a twist!'

article-2188650-148435B0000005DC-424_634x522.jpg

Evidence: Ashley Cole (right) was called to testify at John Terry's trial

Sir Alex Ferguson believes the FA want to stop players courting controversy on Twitter.

'It was almost certain to happen,' he said.

'They (the FA) want to close the door on this kind of thing. What surprises me is that other players have been twittering for ages and have never been challenged by the FA.

'His status in the game has caused that and who he plays for is maybe another issue.'

Ferguson repeated his stance on Twitter, and confirmed United's present code of conduct strictly forbids any of his players from revealing details of club business.

'Twitter; I do not understand it,' he said.

'I don't know why anybody can be bothered with it.

'But it is there and as a club we have given instructions to the players that they cannot talk about Manchester United.

'Rio is mature but he still has to remember that one word can make a difference - and you can't take it back.'