• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Student jailed for 48 years for double killing has convictions quashed

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Aussie kangaroo court clears Ram Tiwary of 2003 UNSW housemate murders!

That's really odd. The old saying of pot and kettle.

I noticed how upset you were with Jah as well. Is there a connection?

Ah neh bashing = you angry.

Which thread was he upset with me?

He follows the sfreakfucker in flaming me for supposedly not being able to read or write chinese and somehow that's even a valid reason. Do you see any logic in being able to read and write chinese to defend chinese? Yet somehow that standard doesn't apply if you choose to defend malays or indians for eg. Like none of them probably even can speak or write proper malay or indian language and that's fine and none of them have the guts to even logically explain the double standards or the logic in that.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tiwary freed due to lack of evidence

AsiaOne
Sunday, Jul 29, 2012

Lack of evidence was cited as the reason why Singaporean Ram Puneet Tiwary was cleared of murdering his two flatmates in Sydney.

According to a report in The Sunday Times today, his lawyer, David Dalton said that the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal acquitted Tiwary on Thursday as it found that there was not enough evidence to support his conviction.

Tiwary had been convicted in 2006 after an 18-day trial for murdering his two Singaporean flatmates Tony Tan Poh Chuan, 27, and Tay Chow Lyang, 26, in September 2003 while they were studying in Sydney.

He had claimed he had been asleep and woke to find his two friends dead.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.

However, the conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeals in December 2008 as the judges felt the trial judge had instructed the jury improperly on certain evidence.

After a retrial, he was found guilty in Oct 2009 and was given the maximum sentence of 48 years in jail.

He spent more than eight years in jail.

Mr Dalton told the paper: 'I have appeared in many significant cases but was very concerned that an injustice had been done when my client was convicted by a majority verdict of these two murders.

'I am very relieved about the result as I have always considered that my client was innocent of these atrocious crimes.'

One of the points cited by Mr Dalton during the trial was that Mr Tan had been spotted getting into a car that was on the wrong side of the road on the day of the murder. He was found dead together with Mr Tay a few hours later. Mr Dalton said this mystery, and its relation to the double murder, was never explained.

Another point raised was that traces of Mr Tay's blood was not found on Tiwary, only Mr Tan's, reported LianHe WanBao. However, the amount was not significant enough to confirm if Tiwary had murdered Mr Tan. During most assault cases, there would be a more significant amount of the victim's blood found on the murderer.

Tiwary had told the court that after calling for help, he went to check on his flatmates as instructed by the emergency hotline operator. When he neared Mr Tan, he suddenly coughed out blood and some splattered onto Tiwary's hand.

Mr Tiwary's cousin, lawyer Ramesh Tiwary, told the paper that Tiwary has been freed from jail and is due to be back in the next few days.

[email protected]

jw5

Loyal

He had claimed he had been asleep and woke to find his two friends dead.

If this is his final version of events or the evidence heard in court, it's illogical.
He was said to have had told people different versions of what happened, that he was alseep and didn't hear anything and also that he was listening but afraid to come out of the room during the attack. The defense argument was that he changed the story because he was embarrassed that he didn't come out to help.
In that case, how can the argument that he was asleep and didn't hear anything be the final and correct version of events? Why on earth would he mention the version listening and afraid if he was really alseep the whole time?

This is something that Mr Dalton has chosen not to explain and I am waiting to hear if the court will.

Last edited:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

If this is his final version of events or the evidence heard in court, it's illogical.
He was said to have had told people different versions of what happened, that he was alseep and didn't hear anything and also that he was listening but afraid to come out of the room during the attack. The defense argument was that he changed the story because he was embarrassed that he didn't come out to help.
In that case, how can the argument that he was asleep and didn't hear anything be the final and correct version of events? Why on earth would he mention the version listening and afraid if he was really alseep the whole time?

This is something that Mr Dalton has chosen not to explain and I am waiting to hear if the court will.

the aussie don't want to feed a criminal for life , so set him free , hoping he will kill all useless sinkies back home.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In Australia, the suspect is innocent until proven guilty. For better or worse, the establishment is generally viewed by the people with skepticism. That's just the culture.

jw5

Loyal

Another issue not addressed clearly is the baseball bat.
It was established that the baseball bat was purchased by the accused a few days before the murder.
No mention of what he bought it for.
One of the theories that "someone else did it" was that the people who gave one of the 2 victims a lift, were gangsters who came to their flat to kill him.
Is it logical to assume that they came to the flat to kill him without bringing their own weapons, happened to see a baseball bat lying around (why wasn't it in the room of the accused anyway?) and used it to kill the victims?

Even if they want to use the reason of "not enough evidence" to acquit, there has also to be logic in their conclusion, based on the evidence presented.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal

One warning to all. If Tiwary owes you money, do not, I repeat, do not ask for it back........